• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Star Trek Vengeance (TM2YC FanFix of Into Darkness)

After doing a quick 'Google images' check, it's interesting to note the different variations of the 'Star Trek Into Darkness' letter spacing on promotional posters etc., compared to how the movie titles are laid out.  

There's no wrong or right way to lay your new titles out, and it's all down to the spacing you prefer at the end of the day, but I certainly like the way the movie's 'Into Darkness' letters appear a short time after the 'Star Trek' letters come into view.

Here is the 99%-ish finished version of the titles...

(Password: fanedit.org)

Updates include (well virtually everything):

- "Vengeance" now fades up/down to black before fading fully, like the "Star Trek" title
- Much re-timing of everything generally
- Lens flares completely replaced with much better ones
- Partical FX added, so it's like dust/matter/ice, or something gently falling, left in space when the Enterprise disappeared. Okay that doesn't totally make sense in zero-G but it "feels right" to me :D .

The ammount of layers, chroma-keying, key-framing, masking, filters, animations and transparencies all happening at once, have pushed Vegas to the limit on this 35 seconds of video. I've had regular glitching in Vegas and during renders, crashes of Vegas constantly, almost no preview ability, the desktop going black twice, and even the computer freezing once. So I don't think there is much more I can do to push this any further :cool: .

There are just a couple of tiny tweaks to fix things probably nobody else would ever notice (No one has yet anyway).... but I know they are there.

p.s. I really like how my version holds on the starfield before hard-cutting to London, rather than the fade to black of the original. It makes it all feel much more connected IMO.

Really beautiful work. Wow. Only nitpick - are the titles visible for too short a time? I watched it twice and it just seemed a bit rapid to read it. Maybe if you fade up quicker - the black outline seemed to be there a while. I also think that Star Trek should appear first, then Vengeance, to indicate what we should read first (at the moment it's easy to read as Vengeance Star Trek).
The picture quality is perfect, and I *love* the starfield instead of lazy fade to black. Massive improvement over original.

^agree about the fade out speed.  I at first admire the visual, then my brain says, "hey, what did that say?" as it fades out

It looks fantastic. I would prefer a longer visual of the title, but again, fantastic.

I've thought about doing away with vegas for similar reasons that you are experiencing. I love the surround track editing, but I think I might go another route soon.

I think I have to agree with the others, the main title fades in too slowly and then it is gone before truly registering.

I also think STAR TREK should be a bit bolder and should appear/fade-in first, as is, all my brain really sees is VENGEANCE. 

But yes, the picture and graphics are absolutely gorgeous!!!!

Beautiful. I like it as is. I think the shorter titles give a bit of urgency and keep everything propelling toward the opening. Plus we know what the title is, and Star Trek registers instantly anyway. Just my 2 cents.

thecuddlyninja said:
I like it as is. I think the shorter titles give a bit of urgency and keep everything propelling toward the opening. Plus we know what the title is, and Star Trek registers instantly anyway.

While I tend towards this view ^ I've now brought the "Star Trek" title forward a little so it registers visually in silhouette first and also fades up before "Vengeance" does. It looks better, thanks guys.

I like it much better than the original!  The texture and starfield are perfect, the latter much better compared to the lame fade-out.  As with the others, though, I too find the title to disappear too quickly and my brain does somewhat lose "Star Trek", but it wouldn't be the first time titles fade out so quickly, and for artistic reasons, I actually understand it.

I would let the title hang around until the little musical gallop that leads into the hard cut to the clock, and time the fade out to go with the "dun dun! diddly dun dun". The look and animation of it is great though and I trust what you go with will be good.

Mini update...

- I'm about a third through writing the extensive cutlist. Going back and analysing the cuts, one by one, has led me to make a few small changes to the audio mix as I go. It's also led to a few shots being put back, or removed.
- New minor FX shot: Removing the dialogue on the bridge where Kirk is asking Spock and Uhura if they can be professional was nearly impossible by cutting alone. I'd removed it all but the cut wasn't great and was my least favourite in the edit. But today I realised if I rotoscoped two shots/people together, I could achieve a seamless removal. Now I swear you'd never know and it's one of my favourite cuts. Qapla!
- Trailer is underway. The score for it is edited together but I need to try a few experiments before I really know how it's going to play out.

The cutlist is getting close to finishing and the small fixes/changes continue. One major change I just thought of is adding a little "Hero" musical sting for Spock as he runs off to save Kirk...

(Password: fanedit.org)

This bit of re-scoring brings a big Star Trek smile to my face :) .

Consider me guilty of having a big, wide smile myself ;) Nice touch you added there, small but very effective

And the great bird is soaring ;)

Ooooh! Gave me the feels. Amazing little tweak there TM2YC. :)

Glad that little touch worked out... and I've worked on it some more, with more music/sound remixing and added asoundFX like Spock's footsteps and the turbolift door sound.

- The cutlist is now complete. Phew!
- A simple fanedit titlecard for after credits is done, with thanks to all those who helped out with feedback and stuff (With music and yet more footage from Contact)

Now to...

- Render out what I hope is the final lossless file, give it a re-watch to check it's good
- Cut together the trailer using that render
- Cover art
- Write ifdb article and release the thing

This coming weekend might be an over optimistic goal... but we'll see.

TM2YC said:
Now to...

- Render out what I hope is the final lossless file, give it a re-watch to check it's good

Bugger. Only 2 minutes in and I discovered there was a stray particle of preanimate matter caught in the matrix (Actually a bit of misplaced audio ;) ). On the bright side, one more preview-watch, can't hurt.

TM2YC said:
Bugger. Only 2 minutes in and I discovered there was a stray particle of preanimate matter caught in the matrix (Actually a bit of misplaced audio ;) ). On the bright side, one more preview-watch, can't hurt.

I know what you mean, I've had a few run in's with those darned particles myself (of course for me it's always rogue frames that I can't seem to "lock on to") :D

TM2YC said:
TM2YC said:
Now to...

And every single faneditor simply nods sagely. I feel your pain my brother.
every. freaking. time.
:rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom