• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Star Trek Vengeance (TM2YC FanFix of Into Darkness)

TM2YC said:
- Hopefully the lift scene now serves to defuse the tension between Kirk and Spock (from the office scene) as I reworked things so the final shot lingers on Spock considering if his actions were correct (At least I hope it conveys that)

Consider it conveyed. :)

Really like how the Pike scene flows...gets to the point and the scene eases straight into the lift scene with no abruptness.

Woohoo! Looking forward to this! :) You set the bar high with the outstanding TMP edit. :)

Very nice work on the Pike/Kirk scene - maybe it's just me but there seems to be an audio error at the 00:26 mark, where Pike is saying 'and what's worse' I can hear something that sounds like the start of another line being cut-off/spoken over by the 'and what's worse'.

Also I might have missed this in the discussion but are you planning on doing any colour regrading to the movie as well?

coinilius said:
Very nice work on the Pike/Kirk scene - maybe it's just me but there seems to be an audio error at the 00:26 mark, where Pike is saying 'and what's worse' I can hear something that sounds like the start of another line being cut-off/spoken over by the 'and what's worse'.

I think Kirk tries to speak under one of the words but I thought it wasn't audible underneath all of Pike's shouting... however as you spotted it unprompted, I guess it must be audible. I've now remixed that point a bit to minimise the problem. Thanks.

coinilius said:
are you planning on doing any colour regrading to the movie as well?

Yes to be more like ST09. Still highly saturated and vibrant but hopefully with less green tinting.

Here is my first crack at toning down the bitterness of Kirk and Spock's discussion about the morality of the mission. It's important to the plot that they still argue the point but the name calling had to go IMO. It's also important to still show that anger is still blinding Kirk's judgement.

I like the 2nd half but the first half is too choppy right? (Or is it okay?)

(Password: fanedit.org)

I did notice it got a bit choppy when it cut to McCoy at 0:22.

The new clip works well!  At around the 00:04 mark 'by the time we arrive', is the only part that seems 'choppy' to me... Spock's voice kind of dips and  his mouth movements and the dialogue quite match up.

I agree, it is a tad choppy where everyone else says but imo it's not a deal breaker as the goal you set out to accomplish is, well accomplished. Good work as usual!

Also forgot to mention - your plans for changing the colour sounds good, can't wait to see what you do with it (when you get up to it)!

Yes, I don’t know how the original playedput but it definitely looks good, except the skippy, choppy segment of it others have mentioned.

Yep, as I thought. Thanks all, I'll have another look at that scene. I think I was trying to hard to create a friendly moment between Kirk and Spock.

I'm having second thoughts about killing Kirk today. Bringing Kirk back to life 5 minutes after he dies was never a good idea on the part of the script writers but the footage that'd need to be removed to kill him is some nice stuff. Which includes quite a bit of Bones material and considering how little there is of him in STID anyway... I don't know, I'll think on it as I work through the timeline.

I think pushing Kirk's resurrection until the very end would work better. That way it's not so pointless. Maybe moving his death a little farther behind would work well too.

I feel that leaving Kirk dead at the end would be a mistake. Not only does it remove some good material, but it also feels weird to leave him dead (even with hints that resurrection might later occur) when there's not a "Search for Kirk" movie afterwards to explain why he's alive again in "Star Trek Beyond". Plus, it would make the movie feel even more like a "Wrath of Khan" ripoff.

I'd prefer just removing his death altogether, but i'm not sure that it's possible, at least not without removing some good scenes.

TM2YC said:
I was editing the first scene aboard the Enterprise today and I spotted this...

Alice Eve can't even act like a top Starfleet scientist when she's standing around in the back of shot. I've probably ruined this scene for myself now :D .

I noticed that the first or second time I watched the movie. It's bad acting, but I found it amusing. Something about the way she acts in that scene is oddly cute for some reason. Maybe it's just me.

hbenthow said:
I'd prefer just removing his death altogether, but i'm not sure that it's possible, at least not without removing some good scenes.

I think you could possibly do it, if you just had Kirk fly off and be knocked unconscious when the warp core fires up. Spock captures Khan and then we fade up on Kirk in the hospital recovered from hsi non-fatal injuries. But I think the lack of motivation for Spock this would cause would be quite awkward.

I've now reworked the shuttle scene to be a lot smoother without the choopy-ness of the last test clip. Kirk no longer starts being nasty to Spock, he just gets defensive because he finds Spock's "Opinion valid".

(password: fanedit.org)

Daaammnnn! This scene was hard to edit. There is so little footage that can be switched around due to the way it was shot.

Yay, with that scene over the mission begins! (btw the film is 4 minutes shorter by this point)

Splendid editing, flowed smoothly.

noss. seems seamless to me.

^Yep, your second version's perfect. Nice job!

I thought of a way round this problem (That I thought was unfixable)...

TM2YC said:

Alice Eve can't even act like a top Starfleet scientist when she's standing around in the back of shot. I've probably ruined this scene for myself now :D .

...and also removed a bit of Scotty silliness that I never liked and a small amount of redundant dialogue. Here it is...

(Password: fanedit.org)

It just took a couple of minor VisFX tweaks.

18qm3p.jpg

Now I've created that ^ meme, I may use it in every post! :p

That cut to Sulu calling out for Scotty is seamless,well done!

Great work.

And damnit Jim, I can't unsee Marcus mucking about now... :p

Back
Top Bottom