• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

SPLIT UNBREAKABLE GLASS - A Narrative Experiment Commences

This thread has me fascinated. I'm loving the daring experimental nature of this project, and I'd be very much interested in watching the result once it's done.

First render has so far taken 20 hrs to get 45% done....normally a 3hr movie will render in about 2-3 hrs. This is taking longer due to the very complex sound work and some complex visuals in order to be invisible. The good news is it all goes into a buffer so the next time I render, it only renders changes and builds them onto the prior render. So its going to be at least another day before I can do the TV review.

The Hobbit had a similar issue on FULL first render... 4 days !!!! Compared to Superman, all of which rendered in just over an hour! Godfather, 90 min...etc.

And my system is overclocked and on TURBO right now....
Damn, i can feel you. a whopping ~2 days for he render is hard^^ But at least its justified qualitywise because of your impressive work.

ARTWORK:

Well, I found out why it took so long. The Passthru audio on Glass is at no less than 640kbps. The other two movies are at 384 and 448. All the music files I used are uncompressed WAVs, so add that all up, and there is a mighty bit of converting going on.

I could/should have standardized these prior to editing, but I did not want to introduce any artifacting or quality reductions for the final render which is at 448mbs for audio in 5:1 surround. The visual components are all sub 36.5 mbps and I'm rendering at 38 mbps so that all new assemblies, captions effects, wipes etc are at the max quality again so as to not introduce additional compression issues.

Subsequent renders should be quicker, since SMART RENDER (not a fan) will help. I may just do the final render in full anyway.

I mean, seriously!

Here is the Artwork....

Last edited:
^ ^ I see your question and your thought process has probably given you the correct answer but..........
Are you overthinking it? This is your edit, your Narrative. I suggest it can be what you feel is correct.
If the reference to "girls mutilated at the zoo 3 weeks ago" is still in your edit then that does tie the two films to the same calendar year.

You answered your own question in your question breakdown so the fact you have decided to use 1999 and 2018 seems spot on to me...
The X -Ray Dr Staple looks at has a date on it. July 1999, presumably from the fall at the station. Solved .

That looks very nice! I particularly liked the Active Comics cover as the thumbnail. Why "From M. Night Shyamalan" twice on the front cover, though?
oops, earlier version....just replaced with updated version, same link.
Just in case

Apols.
Also added in 177s...

ARTWORK:

Well, I found out why it took so long. The Passthru audio on Glass is at no less than 640kbps. The other two movies are at 384 and 448. All the music files I used are uncompressed WAVs, so add that all up, and there is a mighty bit of converting going on.

I could/should have standardized these prior to editing, but I did not want to introduce any artifacting or quality reductions for the final render which is at 448mbs for audio in 5:1 surround. The visual components are all sub 36.5 mbps and I'm rendering at 38 mbps so that all new assemblies, captions effects, wipes etc are at the max quality again so as to not introduce additional compression issues.

Subsequent renders should be quicker, since SMART RENDER (not a fan) will help. I may just do the final render in full anyway.

I mean, seriously!

Here is the Artwork....
Love it, that you go for the quality all the way, including the audio!
38 Mbps, nice :)

Creative Artwork (i could´ve never come up with something like that). To my eyes a little bit uncommon regarding the different colors.

DATA:

Without spoilers, here is the usage breakdown;

Newly created material (like captions, credits and new sequences): 9 mins*
Highly altered scenes across all 3 movies: 19mins* (not included below)

UNBREAKABLE: Used 44 mins* plus 7 minutes* repurposed and two "deleted" scenes in Glass are repurposed
SPLIT: Used 38 mins, plus 5 minutes* repurposed plus 5 minutes* deleted material
GLASS: USED 72 minutes plus 6 minutes* repurposed and 5 minutes* deleted materials

Original run times
UNBREAKABLE: 107 min
SPLIT: 117 min
GLASS: 129 min
TOTAL 353 min Theatrical

UNUSED (taking into account deleted scenes used and credits not used) 162 mins

Which all adds up to 210* minutes = 3hrs 30min, the final run time

ps

I should add, virtually no scene used was left untouched in some fashion. The longest unedited portion is with Hedwig at 4 min and in fact, it is modified at both ends as is its location.

Last edited:
Currently Making notes for the second pass and writing a spoiler filled post potentially for after submission day (hence the invisibility test).
That Spoiler Post will still hold back on the biggest things, but will go into detail on the structure and narrative (unless everyone tells me "NOOOOOO!!!!"

SPOILERS LIVE HERE
or very small text*

Can people see the invisible line above this one?

Last edited:
Love it, that you go for the quality all the way, including the audio!
38 Mbps, nice :)

Creative Artwork (i could´ve never come up with something like that). To my eyes a little bit uncommon regarding the different colors.
Why go to all the trouble and not then render at the top rates possible? That's my only regret about some of my earlier edits where I was obsessed with fitting them on to a SL DVD.....(ah the good ol' days)

I've addressed that with The Things and Fatal Attraction.

Currently Making notes for the second pass and writing a spoiler filled post potentially for after submission day (hence the invisibility test).
That Spoiler Post will still hold back on the biggest things, but will go into detail on the structure and narrative (unless everyone tells me "NOOOOOO!!!!"

SPOILERS LIVE HERE*

Can people see the invisible line above this one?
No, just a yellow asterisk unless I highlight. However, I can see it clearly when quoting your post.

No, just a yellow asterisk unless I highlight. However, I can see it clearly when quoting your post.
Yup...I can now see it too... I tried sampling the HEX, and then had to tweak it...but, oh well, there ya go...

I guess I'll drop the info into a file, and load it to Mega.

If anyone wants to read it, they can download it.
or

I could take it OFF THREAD and set up a group PM for it. Then, we can interact as well etc without spoiling it for others...

Any preferences out there? Submission likely ina week pending final review and adjustments IF IT RENDERS CLEAN (which means another check) grrrrr!

Last edited:
There is a spoiler button here on the forums, unless there was a reason for not using it that I missex

There is a spoiler button here on the forums, unless there was a reason for not using it that I missex
I've only been on here for over a decade...I had no idea.......

Let have a look...

TEST

Hmmm

T H A N K S

HI ALL - IDOIT FEATURE HERE!

Turns out I was rendering with the wrong settings.

I did some test renders of a problematic POP riddled section, and when I told the prog to use the first clip's settings...whooosh, super fast render, and glitch free.

WHAT AN IDIOT I am....

Re-rendering the whole thing and in 3hrs its 60% done....Now THAT is more like it FFS!

RENDER-MARE

Just a note to let you all know that the final render (which is all that stands in the way of submission) is proving to be a pain.

I am reluctantly rendering in chunks, and will then WELD them together. This should not affect quality, just time to delivery.

Coming soon....

STRANGE ENCODING

Hi

There is some might strange stuff going on on the source files for this edit.

The last few edits I made, I converted the ripped source files to MP4 at maxed out quality since they are easier to handle and lead to quicker renders.

However, for this edit, I ripped passthru files in the source coding M2TS files so there would be no conversion step at all.

The issue I have now discovered is that there is something might odd in the 5:1 channel encoding. Every prog I have can see the 5:1 encode. The 5 edit suites I could use do as well, but when i set the render to match the first clip it only detects a stereo mix. In fact 4 ofthe 5 edit suites have the issue. When I load the source material into a variety of converters, they all see the 5:1 encode.

When I try to render in what appears to be the native settings of the passthru files, it takes forever and glitches get pulled in. Those glitches are NOT at edit points. I can only conclude that some elements of the DRM leave little "pock marks" in the audio which when recoded create these odd anomalies. When I ask the suite to auto detect the settings, it renders fast, and clean with perfect audio, but just in stereo.

There is one small section in particular that gets badly rendered. It is just a minute long, so perfect for testing. I have managed to get a clean and perfect 2 channel render but a clean 5:1 render eludes me so far. So I will carrying on testing this portion. I cannot go back and rebuild the edit with new files since that would be another 3 months work, so I will persevere on solving this 5.1 rendering issue.

I will however NOT delay the submission.

The initial submission will however be just a stereo edit, so all can enjoy it. I will then continue to try to pull a clean 5:1 render and as soon as I do, I will replace the files and let everyone know here and whomever has PM'd me .

It's the best I can do under the circumstances.

I have never had this issue before. I've had other issues, but not this. I do also have a few work arounds I could use as well. I am able to get a clean audio only render which I could then drop back into the visuals, assuming that the audio remains in sync. That is not without it's risks and challenges however.

So back to the second pass polish (in passthru 5:1), and then stereo render and submission.

Sorry folks.

If this is a deal breaker for anyone (or if there is a magic solution), let me know.

THANKS
W

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom