• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Vote now in wave 1 of the FEOTM Reboot!

SPLIT UNBREAKABLE GLASS - A Narrative Experiment Commences

REVEAL IMMINENT: BUT....
I need a correct guess.....

Two people have guessed and know via PM. They are excluded.

The titles of all three movies are hidden IN THIS THREAD in plain sight....each has been used once....you know, like hiding song lyrics in conversations for a dare.

A correct guess will reward EVERYONE with the TEASER TRAILER SOONER....which is ready!!!!!!!!!!!!!! But it will be TODAY if need be....

Last edited:
BINGO!!!!!!!!

Teaser Trailer
BELOW!!!
The clues have been highlighted in the thread.

I will continue to update, but I will keep it spoiler free.
I will say, that the narrative is non-linear, and designed to allow many reveals to work and a few surprises, which of course, I will NOT spoil.
Some judicious use of deleted material , score enhancements and a new way to journey through the "Eastrail 177 Trilogy" with some interesting discoveries I made about how these films were made, structured and delivered.

Long in the planning, and now just a few weeks away.

SO...what do you all think?

Last edited:
These films do not need saving at all, on the contrary...
:unsure:
I enjoyed....well that's not quite the word, I found unbreakable to be fascinating as it really tried to make super heroes real and it wasn't revealed until the end. Split was disturbing and Glass, well it wasn't that good, imho.

...so, lets jump in and try to redeem GLASS, take what is needed from SPLIT and retain the mystery of UNBREAKABLE.....for as long as the combined non-linear narrative will allow...That, is the objective . Approx. 60% is already in the can. 100% is in workprint. I'm targeting 2.5 hrs roughly but it will be as long as it needs to be.

It's proving to be quite revelatory in more ways than I expected, and that is after having viewed them all 3 times each before starting the edit.

Unfortunately, I watched the Ratched trailers again last night, and I could not believe how the voiceover just aligned...so I just had to pump out the teaser and REVEAL to all.

Now we can have a proper (spoiler free) dialogue.

BACK TO THE EDIT:

I have been focusing on the opening credits roll again, refining the animation and effects to get it perfect.

It's my normal approach to edit chronologically, so I just can't progress beyond this point if the opening is not nailed. It's vital to the feel of the edit. That means I am going to polish the first 70 min to get them locked. This will inform choices for the next steps and the crucial block which I am also working on that takes the edit into the second half. There are so many choices I can make in the first 70/80 mins that I really need to now lock this portion.

What I have been finding is that as I move scenes and blocks around, certain scenes that occur later become redundant, and other scenes that were removed, need to be added back. This juggling could go on forever given the non-linear approach, and I have to commit to progress to the back end (which is far more straightforward).

One of the amazing things that occurred in this juggling of scenes is that a line of dialogue from UNBREAKABLE now sits adjacent to a line in GLASS which is so perfectly matched, that I can't believe that M. Night did not have this in mind when he wrote both movies. It's uncanny, but I won't spoil it (as promised).

There is quite a bit of serendipity when you do a proper mash-up and juggling of narratives. Dialogue ends up being repurposed by the context of what precedes or follows it, often unexpectedly (though there are many you spot when you are at the note making stage).

Fingers crossed this all works out...which I'm still not 100% sure about, but I'm 80% sure it will, otherwise I would not persevere....and persevering I am for sure. This is a hugely exciting edit to work on. It does literally feel like making a new film.

Big shout-out to Jobwilins Lovecraft Actually https://ifdb.fanedit.org/lovecraft-actually/ which was very much the nudge I needed to actualy finally dive into this long planned edit.

Last edited:
THE EDITOR'S DILEMA - COULD, SHOULD, MUST!

I'm now thru the 70 min barrier having polished the first half and locked it!

Not that this was not without its major issues. I moved over a dozen scenes around yet again, and switched around 3 major scene blocks coz I was not 100% happy about the narrative progression. That is resolved.

Another big issue was how I draw certain threads together and when should they collide and by how much.

These movies lend themselves to being retold in many many ways. I have chosen one path for now ( yes, there could be a second edit telling this differently yet again), but for now, I'm going to let this play out.

Which brings me to the editor's DILEMA....COULD, SHOULD and MUST.

I could do many things differently in this or any other edit. For instance, when Hedwig dances to his music in Split, it is a jarring, shocking, funny, surprising and frightening scene, showcasing McEvoy's talents, destabilising our viewing expectations and frightening the other protagonist, Casey. Could I cut this out? Yes, it is easy to excise. Should I cut it out? Yes, it serves no narrative purpose. Must I cut it out? Well, you will have to view the final product to find out.

What is abundantantly clear, is that for this edit, more than half of Split is padding. Surprisingly the same is true of Unbreakable and yet, the DILEMA here is to judge the balance between plot, character and narrative drive. In doing so, I am having to remove some choice moments, but in other cases, I'm retaining scenes for character development or insights, or the setting up of payoffs, and sometimes, coz the scene is just too good to remove, it stays (for now). This is a tug of war which has led to some surprises even for me , and I'm the one in control, sort of.

M. Nights narrative skill across these three movies has revealed itself to be far more consistent and disciplined than I imagined or recalled from memory. In fact, I'm convinced that Glass is likely to have been much longer in its first cut as is revealed by a deleted scene which I have used, albeit, trimmed down for pacing issues.

Which brings me back to where I am...the first act is locked. The second act, laid out. The third, tells itself. So I need to be as objective as possible and treat these as if they were raw cans of film which I am shaping into this new narrative. That means that certain threads and characters MUST go. There are also many moments that should also go. And so be it. But just because I could do something doesn't mean I should or must.

David Dunn has many choice moments in Unbreakable which in the context of this new approach are, amazingly, redundant. Does that mean I should remove all trace of them? No! Certain moments are there to draw us in, expand our sympathies (or in the case of Elijah) our antipathy. So, I am also approaching this technically. I did this for a number of edits, where I score a scene for its, plot, character, emotional and pacing impact. That's where a spreadsheet helps lay out an edit from an impact on the viewers perspective. What's interesting is that when you then actually lay it out,some things work even better than you expect, and others do not. At that point you ditch the spreadsheet and get out the paintbrush. This is after all an art form. Here is an analogy.

You need to hang a picture on a wall. The picture is 2 foot wide. The wall is 4 foot wide. So you place a mark on the wall exactly at the two foot point, slam in a nail, and bingo, the picture is perfectly cantered. Now consider a wall that is 2 inches wider at the top, than the bottom, and the ceiling is 3 inches higher on the right. This is where you dump the tape measure and hold the picture to the wall and ask a friend to tell you, as you move it around, to shout out when it looks right.

So, for this edit (and any other), it also has to feel right. No amount of planning and analysis can tell you that. You need to render and watch.

I constructed a new opening credit roll, with custom animation. I previewed it to two fellow editors. The feedback I got was good but both sequences did not feel quite right. I then created a longer version which was a hybrid of the two approaches and BINGO!. Perfect IMO. What was unexpected is that a hybrid was not on the cards, nor was any of the feedback suggestin it. But one previewer said to me "it depends what vibe you want" and they went on to describe the vibe they felt for each version. Well, I wanted to have both vibes, now...and that is how the hybrid came about.

So, I'm now 90 mins into this edit and it's shaping up to be a 3 hour movie, with about 50% being removed while hopefully not feeling like we lost anything. In fact, I'm hopin to actually add to the experience despite everyone knowing the plots. And that is the point; can the narrative be shaped to bring in some unexpected impacts? I'm certainly aiming for that. Even more interestingly will be when some of you watch this with friends and family (coz of course you own the three movies already) but they have not seen them and how they respond to the new narrative. That excites me.

So, without spoiling this, that was today's update.

As soon as the second half is locked, the full trailer (spoiler free) will follow.

Oh, and I had to purchase the Split Score today. I didn't think I would need it (I have the other two) but there are some cues which I deliciously need for some of my transitions....and oh, what a joy that is when you breathe life into a dead moment with music (judiciously of course).

That's it for today. Must rush, I have a train to catch (Eastrail 177)...

Last edited:
CLIP - The Faneditor's Invisible work.

Many editors have to frequently remove ALL audio in order to use a shot or sequence to facilitate their vision. Often, many of the audio elements need to be put back from scratch. You will already have seen such a demo from my Godfather Magnum Opus.

In order to facilitate a new sequence for this project, this scene has had new Foley created after all audio was removed. Music will be added to the new completed (longer) sequence later.

SPOLIER FREE.

UPDATE:

I am working on the scene with The Beast reveal. This will need much more work than anticipated due to it being heavily scored. The good news is that the music is very rhythmic, as in flowing. Specifically the music cue is "Meeting the others". Again, I won't spoil why I am having to do a lot of work on the audio due to how the scene is being altered for the new narrative. But I like working with sound.

The other thing that is clear about Split, is that my narrative does not need it to be a JUMPY movie, in fact that would be a distraction. Sustained tension and scares are NOT what I am aiming for. In fact, without them, Split as a standalone, would be quite devoid of engagement. Split needed it as a slieght of hand, to draw you into that particular story so that you did not see the "connection".....(which was ruined for me by an arsehole who thinks he was friend). Thanks. I can never see this one cold. I'll make sure to return the FAVOR.

Sometimes, less is more. Sometimes.
Sometimes more is less.

Balance is the key (and keeping you mouth shut too).

CIAO
("why is the train going faster?")

Last edited:
UPDATE:

Another major block completed, just 10 more minutes which I spent 10 hours on, and I'm still tweaking the audio.

What is now rapidly emerging is that this will be a 3 hour movie BUT, I can get it to about 2.5 hours, so I will probably do my longer edit and then trim that down further, so that like my Alien Covenant/ALIEN V edits, there will be two versions....probably.

I had set myself a soft rule regarding the narrative blocks and structure in order to deliver the pacing I'm after. The issue I have had is that some sections were longer than expected, but that was eaily fixed by juggling scenes which ended up forcing a better narrative than I had originally planned...serendipity strikes again.

Today and yesterday though, I have a sequence which I could trim, but I choose not to. If this happen again, and again, the there will be two versions. Right now, it's 50:50.

Oh, and what sequence am I writing about? The last 30 min of SPLIT... which now is quite different, but that would be telling. And its not 30 minutes either!

Ciao
- - - He thinks... - - -
"why are all those people staring at me?"
- - - He exits the E.R. - - -

Last edited:
UPDATE:

Comfortably at the 100 min mark, and this may come in at just over 2.5 hours after all since I have made another narrative change that removes a large block of what would otherwise feel like repetitive material thematically. I would much rather one version frankly, so I am still aiming at that.

Today, I had to move around a lot of framing scenes I created because a few still felt a tad misplaced, even though they mirrored the theatrical versions. In fact, there are beats in SPLIT which are hugely misplaced IMHO (will discuss that later in THE RETURN OF RAMBLINGS, this weekend). So I have embraced putting the material where it now feels it naturally needs to be, and that is significantly different than the original versions for all three movies.

I'm very much focusing on driving the narratives (plural) at a consistent pace, eliminating padding....not that these movies felt padded as standalones, but when combining them, it shines through.

When I submit this, the cuts and additions will list only what has been removed and added, I won't give away the structure.

Scene alterations will be detailed, since they are extensive and numerous, but again not how or where they fit into the narrative so this changes list will not be chronological per the flow of the edit; they will list the changes to the content of each film as a standalone block. This should therefore satisfy the geeks who want to read where the music was changed, audio rebuilt, dialogue or shots re-purposed BUT won't tell anyone where and how it is all stitched together. I will also detail where I have created completely new sequences by repurposing material, but I will again refrain from explaining where those scenes fit in. Finally, I will have a short section FLAGGED that explains some of the structural re-organization and the rationale while still minimizing any spoilers and again, not revealing to much precision from a flow perspective.

I will now be focusing on what I consider to be a crucial transition block of material which will take quite a while. After that I will be on the home straight. Timings are still sketchy, but I am hoping for a July submission (likely late July).

CIAO
"now, who'd like a P.B. & Jelly sandwich?"

Last edited:
THE RETURN OF RAMBLINS -
The Lady with a Purse

So, let talk techniques, especially as to how it relates to this edit.

Set-ups, flagging and foreshadowing. These are all important techniques in a writer's, director's and editor's arsenal of tools. They are however not all the same.

To simplify matters, let's use The Lady with a Purse as an analogy.

- SCENE A - THE SET UP
Medium Shot: Lady opens purse
Close up of purse: She grasps a lipstick and as her hand is removed, we see a gun.
Medium Shot: We see the lady close the purse.

- SCENE B - FLAGGING
Medium Shot: Lady opens purse
Close up of purse: She grasps a lipstick and as her hand is removed, the camera gently zooms in and linger on a gun.
Medium Shot: We see the lady close the purse.

- SCENE C - FORESHADOWING
Long shot from street looking into a Shop, from the Exterior: Lady approaches a counter, we hear only ambient street sounds
Med Shot still from exterior looking into shop: Man Hands over a gun, the lady places it in her purse.
Long shot: lady exits shop, camera gently zooms to the shop hoarding "GUN SHOP"

Each produces a different level of certainty and expectation.

Scene A will likely be forgotten by most viewers if there is not a payoff with 60 mins.
Scene B will create a firm expectation that at some point she will use (or need) the gun. Viewer will be expecting this no matter how long passes but may forget.
Scene C could impact as A and B but also create other expectations. Who is the gun for or what does she need a gun for. Less likely to be forgotten.

So to SPLIT UNBREAKABLE GLASS (SUG).

M. Night Shyamalan (M.NS) does use these techniques BUT not so obviously. He also uses them with a greater time span than most which is why so many
denouements of his are not spotted by most viewers. He also uses these techniques over tiny spans of time, where a set up paysoffs almost instantly...this is what I refer to as a "realization schism" e.g. "this is where we shake hands"

In literally 5 secs, your mind explodes, the pieces (that you did not notice or forgot about), all drop into place coz suddenly you realize.

another example (no naming of the film please if you respond out of respect to those that have not seen it).....

-----the wedding ring drops to the floor------

BUT it goes far deeper than that and I only realized this when I analyzed these movies for a potential re-structuring.

There are scenes or moments and dialogue that set up pay-offs across the movies which do not payoff within the movie where they are setup in. That was a surprise. I had not noticed, and I'm hoping neither have most of you.

THAT'S WHY I AM NOT GOING INTO DETAIL.

M.NS also uses ambient audio and music motifs in a similar manner. He uses cutting rhythm or single shot takes across a situation to the same effect AND, he also sets things up and does NOT payoff (the Mguffin).

So, I may draw some of these closer together, or place them further apart, drag links into focus or blur them as needed. Which means I can also use sound and music to the same effect. Yes, it is very involved editing, but I want to see this version. It may or may not succeed, that will be for the viewer to judge, especially those who dare to see this cold. (in the presence of someone who owns the originals)...but they then will give up the possibility of seeing the originals cold.

By all means, think about it...and if you join into the discussion on the tread, choses your words carefully as I have so as to retain the surprises.
If you want an explicit spoiler filled discussion, then by all means, PM me and fill your boots. I will be transparent in PMs only (but then you will "know")

OOOO choices.

CIAO

"didn't he also have a funny name?"

Last edited:
love how much detail you are going into but I may have found a few errors here and wanna make sure I understand.

Long shot from street looking into a Shop Exterior:
Did you mean to say shop interior here? I like how you set each of these up but this one looked like a typo.

The more important point I wanted to make is your mistake in calling something not payed off a Mguffin [sic]. This is not what a MacGuffin is. What you mean to say is a Red Herring.

he also sets things up and does NOT payoff (the Mguffin).

A MacGuffin is a plot device pushing the story along throughout a film.

Other than that I just have to patiently wait to watch. lol.

love how much detail you are going into but I may have found a few errors here and wanna make sure I understand.

Did you mean to say shop interior here? I like how you set each of these up but this one looked like a typo.

The more important point I wanted to make is your mistake in calling something not payed off a Mguffin [sic]. This is not what a MacGuffin is. What you mean to say is a Red Herring.

A MacGuffin is a plot device pushing the story along throughout a film.

Other than that I just have to patiently wait to watch. lol.
Typo above corrected..."looking into the shop, from the exterior"

As far as MacGuffin, I did not mean red herring. No mistake. BUT, since I don't want to give away the structure and the elements and why I label that element a MacGuffin, there is an element that drives the plot forward which does not really pay off, QED (at least in the movie it is in). So that element has both qualities in that movie...There was sort of a payoff, but it was weak IMHO given the amount of time spent on that concept and its set up. That same element however is crucial in a different movie and DOES pay off (in spades). So defo not a red herring in this case when taken across the whole arc across the trilogy.

Strictly speaking, its driving force is transient, but it underlies the characters psyche, so is a driver for them of sorts. But defo not a red herring or dead end etc. MacGuffin may be too strong though. Difficult to envisage given my coyness. Happy to discuss (but not in the open).

If you want the detail, you can PM me.

Last edited:
PM me if you want to explain it further by all means. A red herring is a misleading plot device that doesn't have a payoff whereas as a MacGuffin is usually a literal physical thing lasting the whole film(s). The ring in LOTR is a MacGuffin. Same with the briefcase in Pulp Fiction. Neither is a Red Herring.

But since you're cutting 3 movies together maybe you can turn those ideas on their head.

The ring is not a MacGuffin. The Briefcase in pulp fiction is.

Why?

A MacGuffin may propel the plot forward but is usually in of itself, unimportant, or in many cases, never fully revealed i.e. The Maltese Falcon. It is usually a physical object. or something everyone is after. Often, we are not told why or what it is that makes it desirable.

The ring IS of vital importance, and it is know why it is of vital importance in that it is not just a gold ring. but the ring of power Everyone knows it is the ring of power. Everyone who knows about it is either after it, concealing it or trying to destroy it.

The briefcase however contains something. We never find out what is in it but everyone is after it. That meets the definition.

Further, the MacGuffin itself will usually have no bearing on the story whatsoever. The briefcase does not have any impact on the story itself or the protagonists, so again, meets the definition. The ring however does have an impact. It corrupts Frodo, materially jeopardizing the quest. Boromir craves it and is touched so to speak by it. The definition fails for the ring on a second count.

No explanation required but again, I'm happy to reveal to you the element and movie that the Macguffin occurs and how juxtaposing it with material from one of the other two films turns it into a fully blown set-up/forshadowing element which does not really payoff in the movie it is in as a standalone. As i said, it is not a thing per-se, so it sort of stretches the concept, but it is a element that underlies the entire narrative to varying degrees.

Hitchcock appreciated the plot device would hold the audience's attention and build suspense even if an expected resolution was never presented.

The one thing it is not, is a red herring.

The dictionary definition of MacGuffin is too narrow, it is not just a plot device to propel narrative...It is a specific type. It was coined by Angus MacPhail for film and famously exploited by Hitchcock multiple times, but it had been used before Hitchcock, just not labled as such....we can start a thread on this or even have a symposium on the subject. It is endlessly fascinating.

Last edited:
The ring in LOTR is an immensly complex and well conceived MacGuffin. I never said a MacGuffin wasn't important, just that it is a plot device. In Pulp Fiction it was actually meant to be an ironic MacGuffin. It was literally a joke in that movie by the end, but it still propelled the plot. Same with the ring in LOTR. The whole story revolves around a magical ring, a MacGuffin. Those films begin an end revolving around that damned ring. I was an English major, even though I don't always write in forums like I was. A Red Herring has a setup with no payoff, a half-payoff, or it intentionally (however it may be conceived) misdirects the viewer either for part, or for the entire films runtime.

We don't need to argue about the nuance of this anymore though lol. I know exactly what you mean about your edit either way.

Keep up the good work on it. Posting all your thoughts on it makes me think about how I post. With my 'Zilla cut I didn't record every cut I made in Notepad. But with the next 3 projects I have up in my head I will be taking notes from day 1 on most everything.

Last edited:
I also tend to meticulously document changes as I go, but some edits do not warrant that detail. For this edit, I do want to share what I have done without spoiling the viewing experience, so it will be an interesting take. Given that so many scenes have been moved around and more, we will see what the changes list looks like.

Today for instance, I spent several hours on just 30 frames!!!!!!!!!! I needed to isolate one frame, extend it to 30 frames, then applied a slow zoom, added a rotational effect, two bespoke transitions including an inversion, 3 audio effects, flipped the shot and then aspect ratio corrected the whole thing since the zoom, and rotation plus the inversion flash spilt out of the frame.....and the applied rack focus to the whole thing to boot!

What NEW shot is this, and where does it go?

That would be a spoiler. It was however vitally needed since there is the removal of similar material that occurs later in the original film but the narrative still needs to make clear to the viewer what this element is. Solution, create it from scratch where it is needed rather than trying to repurpose the existing material. Repurposing would not only force me to add the whole sequence (now removed) but also material which follows it, neither of which this narrative needs (but both of which I am pained to let go). Trimming the existing material is possible but not desirable due to the perfect pacing of all the elements in it. I have however left a placeholder for it narratively which once the whole edit is locked, I will then view and judge if adding it back is too much or if it is desirable to do so. Astonishingly to me (despite the planning phase), it's just not needed to drive the story forward when I viewed the rough cut so far.

It is amazing that despite how objective you try to be, unconscious editor bias creeps in. Thus many good movies have been ruined.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom