• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

SPLIT UNBREAKABLE GLASS - A Narrative Experiment Commences

UPDATE:
THE TORTURE OF SPLIT

...and I don't mean the movie SPLIT.

I just hit the mid point proper. 1hr 50 min or so. I did not want this to be much longer than 3 hours, and it's looking like it will be 3.5hrs.It is evident at this point it just will be. I also want to tell this differently, and so far the edit achieves that BUT, I have an awful dilemma.

When I made my Hobbit edit, it was a single 5 hour movie for nearly the full 4 years I worked on it,. Then in the the last 6 months I realized there was a natural break point and it was of course the break point envisaged (and confirmed) by Guillermo del Toro when he was helming the project. Reluctantly I took the scissors to the mid point and it solved the problem the narrative had by allowing for a climax at the end of a third act and thus opening up a second movie with 3 broad acts. That then let me expand the foreshadowing that had felt too much by frontloading it on the opening of Part 2. It also created an exhilarating opening to the 2nd part which very much echoes The Two Towers. Net result is that it is now unthinkable to me as anything other than two movies. The 5 hour version still exists (as do 4hr, 3hr and 2.5 hr versions), and its central section is structured quite differently in the 5 hr version, but it feels unbalanced; hence why I submitted my two movies version.

A similar dilemma now exists for me with this edit. To split or not to split.

Glass has it's issues and I want to address them too. Glass struggles to work as a standalone movie whereas the other two do not at all. Glass struggles because of 3 factors IMHO:
1: BACKSTORY
To satisfy newbies who have not seen the first two movies, backstory has to be squeezed in WITHOUT annoying those who have seen the first two, hence deleted material from the first two is used to achieve that catch up for newbies while simultaneously retaining fans attention with deleted stuff (which we all saw on the DVD releases anyway and made our extended unreleased cuts).
2. PACING
The backstory deprives the director of valuable time to unfold the main narrative, so the beginning feels rushed, and yet in order to build suspense, the mid section gets some pace padding and a loosely edited climax and excessive coda extends the viewing too far with the final denouement feeling a tad contrived. Something is missing.
3. SETUPS
There a number of visual and other clever set-ups that don't deliver in Glass. For instance, a zooming in on the photo of Joseph in the school corridor as Casey goes to the office feels like the next shot should be of Adult Joseph, and it is not. I won't give more examples, but this tells me there is far more Glass material than we saw. As dense as Glass is, it is oddly a very loose film editorially. The other two feel tight. Split only feels loose when you look at the narrative as a whole.

APPENDIX
One way to loose material in an overly long film is to:
A: Intercut 2 or 3 scenes, thus dropping material without ruining the narrative
B: Employ a flashback or flashforward structure (a la Godfather Part 2), and drop material and let the audience fill in the gaps
C: Remove a character or subplot (lots of movies have done that)

Well, I'm doing all three, and yet the dilemma remains.

So I am now going into testing mode. I'm going to edit a mid point ending and a corresponding opening to film two. I have already rough cut the back end and the run time comes out at 3hr 40min but there is still a lot of trimming to do and that could easily drop by 20 mins still.

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
To split, or not to split; that IS the question! (Rhetorical).
I mean, The Return of the King was 4 hrs with no intermission.

What do people thing about a 200min edit?

"I think this is where we shake hands"

I think it was always your aim to make a single movie from the three not two movies from the three.

Also on june 20th you mentioned that you were hoping to hit the two and a half hour mark but it would be what it would be...

Stick with the single movie. Let the viewer decide if they want to view in one hit, pause for a bit or stop and restart another day.

Just a little suggestion in the suggestion box......

I think it was always your aim to make a single movie from the three not two movies from the three.

Also on june 20th you mentioned that you were hoping to hit the two and a half hour mark but it would be what it would be...

Stick with the single movie. Let the viewer decide if they want to view in one hit, pause for a bit or stop and restart another day.

Just a little suggestion in the suggestion box......
Thanks for pointing that out...I'm really venting frustration and need to let go and just focus on telling the best story possible. If it's any good, I know that I have sat through some great LONG movies, and thought..."really, is there no more".

DILEMA RESOLVED.

Also resolved on the grounds that the section I feared most HAS WORKED OUT.... EUREKA!

NOw, where is that Ambient Street audio I was just going to use...(really)...

UPDATE: ON THE HOME STRETCH...but

I'm going to pause on moving forward. I'm going to go and do a re-polish on the first 2 hrs, YUP, I'm at the 120 min mark, and that is a HUGE relief.

There are lots of sections that need the audio cleaned up and some that need audio replacement since I left the original audio there as a placeholder. If I don't do it now I will forget where they all are and the you will watch the movie and wonder who spoke the line of dialogue, or why can I hear THE BEAST, if he's not in the scene...that kind of stuff. So big polish for a week or so. There are also tweaks to shots needed and many many new transitions that need to be timed right to permit breathing space and sometimes, not.

A July submission is still on the cards, but I will keep you all updated.

This will not be split. In fact, If I did the second movie would be 1 hr.

...so, what will I NOT be doing in this edit?
There will be :
- No score enhancements for the sake of adding music
- No trying to improve characters or dialogue
- No second guessing the director
- No color correction
- No visual enhancements
- No micro cutting
- Not ruin reveals
- No adding back all deleted material coz it exists

What have I been doing (apart from putting the narrative in a blender):
- Some characters will be removed
- Some threads are removed
- Redundant dialogue due to narrative changes, removed
- Some new sequences created from existing material to facilitate the narrative
- Alter how, why or where reveals occur
- Preserve the suspense for as long as is tolerable, credible or required
- Combine elements or divide elements as needed
- Complete audio rebuild in a few scenes to facilitate the narrative ONLY.
- Scoring tweaks, again to facilitate narrative (minor extensions etc.).
- Using deleted material only where it facilitates the new narrative i.e. it is needed.

ALSO, New opening credit sequence and full new closing credit roll.

SO, I'm off to do some tidying up and I'll report back in a week or so. If I get to where I want to be, trailer 2 (also near completed), will follow, again without spoilers.

CIAO ALL

"how much did you take off?"

Last edited:
Since I'm polishing up this week, I will also start on the cuts/adds list too.

UPDATE: Coming close to the home stright!

So I did a fair bit of polishing up the first two hours and moved on to the back end of the edit. This is now fully laid out. There does remain one final major piece of restructuring I need to now address for Glass. Despite being the longest of the 3 movies, there is not a lot of padding to remove when viewed as a standalone. There are however expository and reminder scenes and dialogue which are not needed when viewing this edit as a whole, so they will be removed. I also had some issues with the whole Black Clover thread, which will be getting some overhauling too. I've just done the closing scene, in fact closing shot, and needless to say, it's not like the theatrical version.

I also started to tackle the CUTS/ADDITIONS list. This needs to both be informative to a casual viewer and detailed for the geeks, while minimizing spoilers since I would like everyone to enjoy this. Knowing what happens in the source material does not mean that this won't have new ways to make the reveals. So to assist readers of the CUTS & ADDS I have divided the list into 3 sections. Spoiler levels increase as you go to the next section. Sections A-C deal with each source movie’s changes as a whole since the non linear structure of this edit does not permit an easy representation of the changes in a way that would be easy to understand (or document)

Overall, virtually every scene is in a new position or altered in some fashion.

SECTION A - Materials removed or added from all 3 movies

SECTION B – Light Spoilers - Highly altered or new scenes created from all 3 movies to facilitate the new narrative

SECTION C – GEEKS ONLY - Heavier spoilers - More detailed list of changes and impacts to the narrative with rationale.

There will be a BIG warning in the Submission to not read Section C if people want to not have it ruined.

I watched Pulp Empire cold, and it was a delight despite knowing the source material inside out. I'd like to convey the same experience to viewers of this edit.

It may still end up being a car crash in some peoples eyes, but I like it, and that's ok too.

I may rename this

SPLIT UNBREABABLE GLASS: AN EXPERIMENT

Oh, and where are we on run time? 3hr 40 mins, with trimming still to do. That works.

Here are some movies over 200 minutes: No one had an issue sitting thru these I imagine.
  • The Godfather: Part II (1974) 200 mins
  • Fellowship of the Ring: 208 min
  • The Two Towers: Blu Ray Extended Edition: 235 min
  • Return of the King: Blu-Ray Extended Edition: 263 min
  • Titanic (1997) 210 min
  • Ben Hur (1959) 212 min
  • Ryan's Daughter (1970) 206 min
  • Gettysburg (1993) 271 min
  • Giant (1956) 201 min
  • Seven Samurai (1954) 207 min
  • Lawrence of Arabia (1962) 216 min | 227 min (restored)
  • JFK (1991) 189 min | 206 min (director's cut)
  • Once Upon a Time in America (1984) 229 mins
CIAO
" I believe there are unknown forces out there, tryng to stop us"

I'm fairly set on the original name, but what about...

"AN ORIGIN STORY"

?

I would throw in „commencement“. It’s just something different to the otherwise often used narrative of „origin“ and your project is certainly something different :)

QUICKY

Today, I needed this for Dr Ellie Staple.

LOVE FREESOUNDS!!!!!!!!
Editors Foley goldmine of choice IMHO.

Nuff said

Last edited:
M. Night Shyamalan has been removed from all 3 movies...though you would all like to know.

UPDATE: HOME STRAIGHT

Run time is down to 3 hrs 35 mins, and more trims to come.

The cuts/adds list is complete for now (in 3 sections as previously noted) and should not spoil the biggest changes despite the third section containing a detailed breakdown of the scenes and most of the changes in order. Also, by not going into excessive detail as to what has been added or removed, the narrative drivers are still fairly concealed, though be warned, if you know the movies inside out, you may be able to join some of the dots...but not all I assure you. There is enough detail however to satisfy most people out there without there being a complete ruination of the viewing experience. I do not reveal key positioning and changes of a handful of key moments which are still detailed, but are ambiguous, so it should still be a fairly safe read overall.

So, having gone thru the edit to create the cut/add list I can share that the first 2 hours of the edit contain in excess of 600 changes. The full edit over 900 changes (so far) .This has not been a light exercise by any measure but it has been fun and hugely creatively rewarding (so far... I hate credit rolls).

There is still a lot of polishing left to do but the body of the edit is now fully assemble, with 75% fully polished andthe first 2 hours LOCKED.

I will spend this week on the last 90 minutes or so, making the final excisions and then the final polish. I will then make a final music review, caption review and a full view of the edit making notes...this will be done twice. Once with headphones on, and once on a big TV. I'm determined to not have any of these sodding pops that creep in. I will also use a different tool to create the MP4 version, since this stage also seems to introduce audio artifacts where none existed in the master file BUT they do coincide with some transitions. Does anyone know why????????????

Trailer 2 could be with you all next week. given this is now the home straight.

I will then make the required changes from the final viewings and create the custom end credit roll and artwork, likely the week after next. I will then dismantle the edit in order to determine the amount of material used from each movie and how much was added from the deleted material. Uber size M2TS files will be available for a limited period as they were The Godfather (back up) and Superman edits for BD burning and max quality.

So, all in all, a July submission is still on the cards but in the end, it will be ready when it is ready.

Ciao for Now.
"I'm not scared"

Last edited:
CUTTNIG CORNERS: NOT ON THIS ONE

Down to the last 30 min.

I spent a day on two section less than 30 secs long, but if it ain't perfect, it will feel odd. Needles to say, SUCCESS!

Again, having to go back in and do full audio rebuilds just to accommodate dropping in 20 secs of material, stretching the existing scoring using a very good audio editor I have with amazing resampling and pit preservation. Used on other edit for other reasons, and no one has ever commented. Funnily enough, I got real pissed where I got a review for a movie that dissed the audio (5) and the irony is there was no major audio work at all....the original is shitty, and you can't always fix what's screwed in the source material.

In fact, the last scene in Split has an AWFUL music edit of the music from Unbreakable which I can't fix coz the vocal from the TV broadcast is not cleanly separated in the 5;1 mix. Yes, I have mentioned it before BUT I even tried fixing it today by taking the source audio from the score, I replicated the SHIT mix, which was trying to extend the music. I had it PERFECTLY synched up, right down the awful hard cut in the extend repeat which is also two bars off from the melody cycle. I tried to subtract it from the aource but the result left a vocal that sounded like the TV Anchor was talking in a cave, during a storm while wearing a gas mask. That was 4/5 hours work for nothing....GRRRR. SO ANNOYING

Hoping to get the trailer out soon, just need to get to the end of the edit first.

CIAO 4 NOW

"partner"

Last edited:
FEAR

My greatest fear has come to pass.

My last few edits were executed using very high bit rate MP4 files. My suite seems to handle these much better, but there is ALWAYS a trade off on quality, even if it looks very good.

This edit is being constructed with the raw passthough source files. The last edits I did that for was The Hobbit. The Godfather, Superman and Blade Runner. No issues on any EXCEPT The Hobbit . At around the 1,000 changes mark, my suite struggles despite 64 GB RAM etc. I ended up having to construct the two movies from 4 edit layout files and then combine each of the two parts to make a whole movie...TWICE.

This edit is near locked, but the last few tweaks are really slowing the suite down. I'm loathe to chopping this in two and rendering two halves to create a whole. Even a hi res pass through pre-render will create artifacts. Far better to render once from one edit file layout. So I'm sticking to it for now, no chopping in half.

FINGERS CROSSED, but this is slowing progress.

Run time update: 3hr 32 min.

Last edited:
UPDATE: LOCKED - IT'S RENDERTIME: PART 1 of 3

Well, I'm pleased to say that this puppy is locked at 3hr 31min.

I will now move to a full render for glitch checking and other review tweaks while also doing that most enjoyable of tasks, the end credits, which i am also pleased to say after 2 days work, I have a CLEAN end credit roll derived from the closing of GLASS. I will post a Clip. I will now add the 35 pages of credits from IMDB from all 3 movies, including uncredited crew and cast which I have already also cleaned up.

After the first review and tweaks (via headphones), I will do the same again, on a big TV, and finalise the edit.

Trailer 2 SOON.

Ciao

"I know what my charge is"

Great news, so excited for your reinvented 3in1. May i ask what bitrate you aim for the finished project?

38mbps for the M2TS file for the master render. The passthru source files are a little over 36mbps, so this will ensure NO loss of quality. This file will be available for a limited period as were UBER SIZE files for Superman and The Godfather edits.

That master file will then be converted to an mp4 at about 8mbps.

Does that seem reasonable?

38mbps for the M2TS file for the master render. The passthru source files are a little over 36mbps, so this will ensure NO loss of quality. This file will be available for a limited period as were UBER SIZE files for Superman and The Godfather edits.

That master file will then be converted to an mp4 at about 8mbps.

Does that seem reasonable?
lovely to hear your aiming for this bitrate with M2TS!

8 mpbs for mp4 ist reasonable if you use it at a fixed rate and x264/265 (or VAC) as im sure of yo use nevertheless.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom