• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Vote now in wave 1 of the FEOTM Reboot!

SPLIT UNBREAKABLE GLASS - A Narrative Experiment Commences

Could you possibly get the MP4s as you normally would, and just replace the source? I know some editing software has the feature to just replace the source file, not sure what you're editing with and if you have this option. Maybe it's not even a viable solution in any case, I'm no expert, it's just the first thing that came to mind. Maybe the format isn't even the problem.
Well, best of luck, I hope you manage to fix this issue

Its a good call and I have used it before to get me out of trouble BUT, at least in my case, the new file has to be frame perfectly the same length as the file it replaces, or it rejects the file. I have also found that for a complex edit, invariably, the conversions can mis-align on the work you have done...just a frame out here and there, but throws out all the audio transitions. For a simple edit, it is an easy fix. There are 1500 elements for this (even though it is visually quite simple), so it likely won't tie up. I will test the idea on a section, just in case. Also, if you cut shots to the frame, that misalignment then introduces flash frames on the exit of the shot. It's one reason I now cut one frame shy on many shots, to avoid flash frames creeping in.

COUNTDOWN: 1... and short demo clip ****SPOLIER****

ALMOST THERE FOLKS!!!

- Locked 3hr 29mins ( yet another min less)
- First pass check: Completed (earphones)
- End credit roll composited and incorporated
- End credit roll music created from all 3 score CDs...all new
- Artwork: Completed
- Trailer 2 : Completed
- Corrections from 1st pass: Completed
- 2nd pass review (on TV) and corrections: Completed
- Final Render in Stereo (for now): Completed

- Adding a final watch thru
- Revise cut/add list - ongoing
- Submission pending

The clip below addresses a line of dialogue that annoyed a lot of people. The fix is complex even if the result looks simple. The scene was expanded to include dialogue from Patricia delivered to camera, echo was added, the music needed to be rebuilt with the ambient audio, and the dialogue for SLJ was taken from a different scene so needed to be synced to the onscreen/to camera delivery since the original dialogue used was delivered with his back to Camera from the original delivery (also altered). It is only 14 secs, but if you want to see this edit cold DO NOT WATCH.

This is there for you geeks that know the films and enjoy technique etc..... 1 of over 1000 plus....

ENJOY....This will drop in a couple of days!!!!!!!!!

COUNTDOWN: "IGNITION"

- Final 13 adjustments post extra review : Completed

- Revise cut/add list - COMPLETED
- Render & Submission pending

13 adjustments made following final review.

WOOHOO!

NOW, final render and submission folks, since all the other stuff is done.

(and countdowns end on ZERO and Liftoff)

;)

Last edited:
COUNTDOWN: ZERO....

Rendered, loading, submitting today.....

Final Run time 3hr 29 min

Breakdown 32% Unbreakable, 29% Split, 39% Glass.
Good balance.

- Final 13 adjustments post extra review : Completed
- Revise cut/add list - COMPLETED

- Rendered
-
Submission pending

COUNTDOWN: we have LIFT-OFF!!!

SUBMITTED.
MP4 (12GB) and UBER size (52GB) rendered.

SPOLIER RATIONALE AND METHOD – NOT all spoilers are revealed

If you choose to read the hidden text you will know how this edit is structured and the plot elements for the narrative sections. I do not however reveal the precise way that reveals have been re-tooled nor how some elements have been juxtaposed for better impact thus still permitting some enjoyment and discovery as you watch BUT be warned, by knowing how it is all laid out, a BIG part of the journey’s joy will have been removed. You will not be watching this cold so to speak.

The submission cut/add list in IFDB contains more granular details on changes, but not the detail below. The Listing details are also in 3 sections, each with progressively more spoilers. Again, to preserve the joy of discovery with sufficient earning for those that do not want to spoil the trip.

YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED.

Please do NOT discuss openly the hidden content, but by all means PM me or set up a group chat if you want.

This edit seeks to re-tell the events of the East-Rail 177 Trilogy in a new and focused way. Incidentally, East-Rail 177 was my original title for this edit, but it is a big spoiler…so I dropped it early on.

In doing so, a non-linear approach was adopted in order to allow a better and more mysterious interweaving of the source materials.

The biggest challenge was to decide to what extent the narrative flash backs and flashes forwards should be used effectively, and this meant I could reveal some key elements while retaining others for later than expected reveals. This allows the edit to keep viewers guessing for far longer and actually to believe Dr Staple, later in the edit.

A balance was struck by using a series of narrative blocks, 14 in all. This allows a self-contained element to be explored. This rewards the viewer, keeps the narrative clearer and better allows for the removal of extraneous materials. The alternative would have been a far messier interweaving, which would risk losing the viewer in what would be an overly captioned edit in order to keep things clear. In fact, apart from the Block Captions, the timing/date captions drop away quickly as it is easy to identify what year you are in by the very different appearance of the protagonists.

The overriding objective is to keep the BIG reveals as late as possible and still withhold information so that the viewer is drawn in by Dr Staple, in order to experience the same doubt as the characters and to sustain this as long as the threads permit. There are reveals en-route, but these are character realisations rather than per-se plot reveals. This again helps draw out the suspense.

The interweaving of Split and Unbreakable’s main narratives removes the sub plots from both movies, namely Dr Fletcher is removed and David’s marital problems are removed respectively. Glass, has a fair amount of material repurposed into the first two acts so that Act 3 is left essentially with Glass material, fleshed out with the final retained reveals.

ACT 1 –Origins (no on screen)

So, the first act is composed of 6 Blocks. 3 blocks from Unbreakable and 3 Blocks from Split. Each block runs approx. 10 mins and overall this comprises a first act running 63 mins. This keeps the content evenly divided between the movies and the characters.

Blocks 1, 3 and 5 from Unbreakable introduce Elijah, David and Mr Glass. These are framed with material from Glass acting as bookends and establishing that there is a timeline further in the future.

Blocks 2, 4 and 6 introduce Casey, The Horde and Hedwig. Here, flashbacks intercede key moments in order to develop character EXCEPT The Horde.

The Blocks alternate in order to keep up the interest.

No reveals are made in the First Act.

ACT 2 – Realisations (not on screen)

4 further blocks.

The second act progressively brings the events to a mid-point head. There are many dramatic payoffs and reveals (but not all) as the characters and threads all come together at the end of Act 2.

Block 7, Deals with Unbreakable realisations of the characters.

Block 8 concludes with a highly modifies conclusion to Split, again with no Dr Fletcher, less horror and less gore.

Block 9 Brings the Green Guard fully into the frame with the most complex narrative change made serving as a simultaneous as a bridge for both David’s realisations and his activities in the opening of Glass, which are highly restructured to permit the escalations to run concurrently. Getting the surrounding events to synchronise to this point was the biggest challenge of this edit.

Block 10, everyone has been dropped in the shit, and Dr Staple now takes centre stage. Reveals have been held back still, but new ones emerge in small doses. This act also sets up the showdown.

Act 2 runs 74 mins, and each block now runs circa 15-22 mins. With viewers now more engaged, each block can sustain interest for longer.

Act 3 – Showdowns (not on screen)

4 Final blocks.

The final act, running about 73 mins, is all event driven with all the characters now fully in play, the blocks are divided into thematic events now and NOT character blocks as was the case for Acts 1 and 2.

The first block here deals with The Trinity that is David, The Horde and Elijah.

The second block, deals with Elijah’s planning and here a major reveal is finally delivered, held back from Unbreakable.

The penultimate block is the moving of all the pieces into their final playoff positions, again with some selective flashbacks to finally put the viewer in the position where their doubts are removed. Sustaining this further would not be credible or possible.

The final block is the Showdown, which is again modified, includes new and different flashbacks and a new ending removing the station sequence and overtly “out of the blue” elements so many criticised, however, the evil society alluded to in Unbreakable (think voicemail) still gets its moment, but again, is highly modified and hopefully more satisfying. The last shot, speaks for itself.

Finally, should you submit a review, please do not reveal the key stuff...you will know what it is when you watch this!

I will now be taking a LONG break..... I'm pooped!

Enjoy the ride folks...
WRAITH

Last edited:
Revised MP4 is up, UBER Size to follow

Last edited:
I’m thinking of maybe trying to tighten this edit up a tad. I don’t want to really impact character development nor plot sequencing, since otherwise this will feel empty and rushed. As far as im
Concerned I have already cut down many scenes to their shortest credible lengths…eg weightlifting has 3 not 5 lifts (blending the lifts together), the rail station scene is shortened significantly and much more. As I mentioned previously, I did a short version rough cut once this was locked, and at 2.5 hrs it starts to feel rushed and disjointed; but I’ll have a play around at some point. Chopping it into two is not an option since the 2nd movie would have no setup and play like a truncated version of Glass…it certainly would not work as a standalone. Splitting would actually increase the run time overall and break the purpose of the edit.

be interested in your thoughts once you have seen it. There are plenty of 3.5 hr movies out there no one complains about.

Last edited:
I'd say, leave it as it is. It's long but worthwhile, and the pacing is great.
Well, the three of you have seen it so that vote of confidence is good enough for me. Thank you all…
This edit stays as is!

Last edited:
"VISIONS" probably would be a fitting title for this mashup film. Obviously, it's the name of the main score.

David Dunn has visions of damaged ppl committing sins.

The beast has a vision of the brokens to be accepted and workshiped.

Mr. Glass has a vision of everyone's potential to be awakened.

UPDATE

I’m working on a montage of selected before and after shots to show some of the sound, scoring and dialogue work done for this, mindful of spoilers of course. Just for the geek and nerds we all are…

Now, don’t deny it!

Last edited:
UPDATE

The comparison video will take around a dozen scenes and show how they were alerted either by removing dialogue (sometimes in mid-sentence), Audio rebuilds with clean foley only and comparisons before and after, scoring impacts, cropping and re-framing, titles creation and more. I will not use any spoiler scenes as much as I would like to show what went into those but there should be plenty to satisfy everyone...about 20 to 25 minutes I imagine. Hope to have this all for you by the end of the week, sooner if possible.

I'm still on a long break but I have not retired from this...not by a LONG shot for sure.....Genesis looms large. That WILL be the next project...

UPDATE

This "Making of" video is proving to be quite involved, but there ya go. No corner cutting here, but its coming along nicely. Should be done soon. I am having to record screen actions for a few things and render intermediate state scenes to show what has been changed too, but it will be worth it.

It will be freely available as an educational piece from this thread ONLY, thus falling under fair use provisions (blah blah blah). Expect a big disclaimer in the opening tee hee.

THE MAKING OF SUG

This may be about 30 mins long. I will be dismantling or explaining/comparing about 12/13 scenes. In some case, like with a score change, or dialogue alteration, I feel that the whole scene needs to be watched befor and after to convey the impact on narrative and the scale of challenges overcome in some instances. I won’t be covering the actual NEW narrative approach STRUCTURE AT ALL since that is THE major spoiler. But I also don’t want to just assemble a 90 sec clip going “befor/after, with/without” in 5 x 20 sec clips coz some people are impatient. Stuff it! This hobby/artform/commentary is not for the hasty. So I am taking the time to explain, illustrate and reveal to those that are interested and are happy to sit thru a 210min movie. I will cover:

ALTERATION TO MUSIC (mixing, speed)
MUSIC REPLACEMENT (themes vs motifs)
SCORE ENHANCEMENT (add where there was none)
DIALOGUE CHAGES for event excision
EVENT EXCISION using repurposed visuals
NEW SCENES ( not deleted scenes)
FOLEY AUDIO REBUILD and why
CREDIT ROLLS and how
I will not be covering:
-Trims for timing
-Removing bad dialogue “FIRST NAME MISTER” ( dealt with in earlier post clip)
-removing redundant material
-changes for pace
-changes to sequencing
-secrets, reveals, new insights or surprises

The “impatient” viewer … well, they probably won’t watch the movie anyway. This is for those who want to know.

Once more I will state there are no significant spoilers… the downside being that some of the most complex work, will for now, be under the hood. BUT, if you have NOT seen these movies, there will be some ”spoilerage”… Derrr!

For those that have not seen SUG proper yet, I can’t stress enough how much viewing in a single sitting (albeit with comfort and coffee breaks) will benefit the experience. It’s designed for that…(otherwise it would be two movies, and that would ruin the trip IMHO).

Okidoki… I’m off to the Comic Store….

Last edited:
THE MAKING OF SUG

This may be about 30 mins long. I will be dismantling or explaining/comparing about 12/13 scenes. In some case, like with a score change, or dialogue alteration, I feel that the whole scene needs to be watched befor and after to convey the impact on narrative and the scale of challenges overcome in some instances. I won’t be covering the actual NEW narrative approach STRUCTURE AT ALL since that is THE major spoiler. But I also don’t want to just assemble a 90 sec clip going “befor/after, with/without” in 5 x 20 sec clips coz some people are impatient. Stuff it! This hobby/artform/commentary is not for the hasty. So I am taking the time to explain, illustrate and reveal to those that are interested and are happy to sit thru a 210min movie. I will cover:

ALTERATION TO MUSIC (mixing, speed)
MUSIC REPLACEMENT (themes vs motifs)
SCORE ENHANCEMENT (add where there was none)
DIALOGUE CHAGES for event excision
EVENT EXCISION using repurposed visuals
NEW SCENES ( not deleted scenes)
FOLEY AUDIO REBUILD and why
CREDIT ROLLS and how
I will not be covering:
-Trims for timing
-Removing bad dialogue “FIRST NAME MISTER” ( dealt with in earlier post clip)
-removing redundant material
-changes for pace
-changes to sequencing
-secrets, reveals, new insights or surprises

The “impatient” viewer … well, they probably won’t watch the movie anyway. This is for those who want to know.

Once more I will state there are no significant spoilers… the downside being that some of the most complex work, will for now, be under the hood. BUT, if you have NOT seen these movies, there will be some ”spoilerage”… Derrr!

For those that have not seen SUG proper yet, I can’t stress enough how much viewing in a single sitting (albeit with comfort and coffee breaks) will benefit the experience. It’s designed for that…(otherwise it would be two movies, and that would ruin the trip IMHO).

Okidoki… I’m off to the Comic Store….
Really looking forward to this, as there are a quite a few scenes where I did not realize how heavily altered they were until I went back and checked the original, which then made me go... how the heck did he do that???

Any in particular you are interested in?

As long as it it’s not “ one of those” scenes
I could add it….

I will say, the train scene is covered.

Back
Top Bottom