• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Vote now in wave 1 of the FEOTM Reboot!

Spider-Man: Homecoming (No Spoilers)

It is still not clear if Andrew and company is coming back but since ASM2 was teasing it so much and that it is still happening, it is likely that they will continue. I think they are continuing ASM and that in 2017 we are getting a Marvel produced ASM film and after that we are getting a Sinister Six spin-off film, probably in either 2019 or 2020. I think they will because average movie goers will be confused after all the teasings from ASM2.

I suppose it's possible Garfield will return, but very unlikely, as the rumors all along were that Feige wanted a new face for a fresh start. I suspect this might end up in an Incredible Hulk-like situation, where certain elements (most notably Banner living in South America) kinda-sorta alluded to Hulk, and we won't be doing an origin again, but it will be a reboot and recast nonetheless. So we might get mechanical web shooters and a vague reference to Gwen's death, but no more than stuff like that. Just a guess.

I admit I didn't think this deal would actually happen, and I'm not entirely clear how Marvel Studios gains from this as much as Sony does, but, it certainly keeps things interesting, and us on our toes...

Sony are maintaining creative control. Arad will still produce.

Malibu Stacy. New hat.

I get the feeling that Arad has been booted from the conversation. He had no interest in Spider-Man joining the Avengers, and Kevin Feige wouldn't approve of the deal if he didn't think it would be a good idea.

Nic said:
I get the feeling that Arad has been booted from the conversation. He had no interest in Spider-Man joining the Avengers, and Kevin Feige wouldn't approve of the deal if he didn't think it would be a good idea.

To be fair, I'm with Arad. Peter should never have joined the Avengers. It never led to anything interesting outside of the initial developments from Civil War, and it never really got any proper resolution because Peter made a deal with Satan and altered reality. One thing I'm glad of is that the newspaper comics from the Leibers have completely ignored the unnecessary developments of the last decade or so, and Peter has never publicly unmasked, is still married, and has never been part of the Avengers either.

Masirimso17 said:

That article completely ignores the fact that Peter pretty much concealed his identity as soon as his deal with Mephisto was done, so if Garfield were the one to unmask, it still wouldn't really be all that impactful as it's a development that was swiftly thrown under the carpet anyway

Zarius said:
That article completely ignores the fact that Peter pretty much concealed his identity as soon as his deal with Mephisto was done, so if Garfield were the one to unmask, it still wouldn't really be all that impactful as it's a development that was swiftly thrown under the carpet anyway

Well that might change with the MCU. I really didn't like the One More Day anyway as it destroyed everything that the previous character development(s) led up to. In the MCU however, Parker will have to deal with the fact that the world knows his identity now.

Wait, that's what you're saying, right?

Yeah...did you hear Marvel might even be retconning OMD this year?

Zarius said:
Yeah...did you hear Marvel might even be retconning OMD this year?

Are you serious? That's great :D!!!

bionicbob said:
According to Screen Rant, Garfield is out and Sinister Six is dead or in limbo....

http://screenrant.com/spider-man-marvel-cinematic-universe-andrew-garfield/

Oh god... Why? I mean, that is wrong in so many levels. One, it destroys Andrew's dream of playing Spider-Man in the MCU (remember how he really wanted to play Spider-Man in the MCU? Well Marvel says "Suck it, we're not giving it to you, somebody else will be Spider-Man! Yay!"). Two, it destroys Amazing Spider-Man fans' excitement for future installments and three, it confuses average movie goers that don't know about the deals and troubles and behind the scenes etc, which is because the different actor, story and stuff and not continuing the Amazing Spider-Man franchise after teasing so much of future installments.

Average moviegoers were already confused by the last reboot because Tobey Maguire was still fresh, relatively speaking, in the public imagination. Ditching Garfield so soon is a big mistake. I haven't seen ASM2, but it can't be hard to fit the events into the MCU somehow. Make a time-jump, whatever. No one cares. Just don't recast Spidey yet again.

I've been hearing a lot of fans say that the new Spider-Man should be Miles Morales. I think that would be the best option....Donald Glover for Spider-Man!

I heard one guy say that Peter Parker should be made Asian, and I can kinda see why. You'd be able to revamp the character a bit, but not dilute the uniqueness of Miles Morales (apart from race, who is black and latino). Bonus points if Aunt May is THIS May:

Melinda_May_01.jpg

Nic said:
I heard one guy say that Peter Parker should be made Asian, and I can kinda see why. You'd be able to revamp the character a bit, but not dilute the uniqueness of Miles Morales (apart from race, who is black and latino). Bonus points if Aunt May is THIS May:

Melinda_May_01.jpg

Holy cow. That is the most amazing idea ever. And aren't Ultimate Spider-Man's parents SHIELD agents, anyway? It wouldn't be a huge stretch.

http://www.denofgeek.com/movies/spi...rfield-opted-not-to-return-to-spider-man-role

So it seems Andrew sacrificed the role for the sake of his favorite superhero being in the MCU. Now it makes sense. However I still don't get why they decided to scrap Amazing Spider-Man 3 and Sinister Six after all the teasings Amazing Spider-Man 2 made for Sinister Six. I mean, I know average movie goers were also confused by the change from Tobey to Andrew, but Spider-Man 3 had no loose ends and it became a last act in a trilogy. However since Amazing Spider-Man 2 teased Black Cat, cancer cure Symbiote and most of all Sinister Six.

Oh well. Guess I'll remove the Sinister Six teasings from my planned Extended Edition.

More info on the Spider-Man deal here:

http://www.latino-review.com/news/m...er.com&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=lrnews

I remain cautiously optimistic on a new Spider-Man movie as long as Kevin Feige is producing, but outside of cameos in MCU movies or TV shows, I think I've had enough of Spider-Man, and I'm not really ecstatic on whether or not Sony plans to continue with their "Venom: Carnage" or their "Sinister Six" or their "Secret Agent May" movies. Again, unless it's THIS May:

Melinda_May_01.jpg

Well, pretty much every official, reputable source is now saying that Andrew Garfield is definitely out. What a shame.

Sorry if I came off as doubting you, [MENTION=26261]Masirimso17[/MENTION] -- I wasn't trying to say, "This will definitely not happen," so much as I was saying, "A lot of what's being said now isn't confirmed, so let's try to keep our hopes up."

There's no need for a recast at all at this point. And a recast suggests to me that we're going to get another full reboot, and get Spidey's origin yet again, which we need even LESS than a recast! Ugh! Please, we know about Uncle Ben, okay? There are 50 years' worth of stories! Tell us something else!

I agree with you, Masirimso17, that we ought to get some follow-through on the stuff that's already been set up until now. A Sinister Six movie may not be completely necessary, but after all the setup in ASM2, it would be especially disappointing if there was no follow-through on this idea.

And according to Marvel's official statement, they intend to use Spider-Man in some other MCU film before his first solo film with them! A Spider-Man with a history makes sense in, say, Civil War, but just shoving in some new guy that hasn't even been properly introduced will just be random and strange.

Granted, a recast doesn't necessarily mean that they can't continue the story. Batman and James Bond have both been recast while continuing stories originally played by other actors. And Peter Parker is pretty important to Civil War, so I'd like to see him in there.

Of course, the specific thing that Peter does in the comics was quickly retconned out of existence. But the comics are used more as a jumping-off point for the movies than something that's held to slavishly, which is a good thing. For instance, I'm reading Captain America: Winter Soldier comic right now, and it's very different from the movies. Both excellent stories, but very different, yet they still seem both worthy of keeping the same name.

I would like to see Peter go through some of the personal struggles related to the passing of the Superhuman Registration Act, even if he doesn't do that One Big Thing that people most remember (since they dislike that anyway).

If anything, I would like to see Peter finally tell Aunt May the truth. The comics have told that story in about a dozen different ways, and it's always been very emotionally satisfying.

Anyway, I'm trying to stay positive, but this is not a step in the right direction, IMO.

The MCU Peter Parker will not involve another origin story retelling. At most, Sony's next Spidey movie may begin with an Incredible Hulk-style opening credits recap. You can trust and believe that. ;)

I certainly hope you're right, Gaith! That would be much better.

Yeah, I'm not too sure why everyone seems to think recast/reboot requires another origin story movie. Everybody knows Parker's origins, and Feige knows this. He won't let Sony waste another movie on that.

Back
Top Bottom