• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Smallville

bionicbob said:
Wow, I go away for a while and what do I find when I come back?
Smallville still alive and well on the Forum.
Thank Rao!!!

I watched WORLD'S FINEST a few months back when it was on Vimeo, created my own dvd for it, though I would love to see an official release by it's author. So I don't know if the version on Youtube is the same cut or an updated version two. My thoughts below are based on the Vimeo version...;-)

It is a surprisely good mash-up edit. Overall, the story is structurely sound and cohesive, though there are some plot gaps here and there, but that is pretty much to be expected with this type of edit.

Most of the image manipulation is pretty decent. It is cool seeing these two iconic characters on screen together.

Overall the editting is sound. There are one or two actual moments of sheer brilliance in this edit. But there are also a few moments where the editing could have been tighter and more time spent. Many of the scene transitions are a bit jarring and uneven and just don't flow. Mostly I think this is due to sound design. I think the edit could use another couple passes smoothing out the audio transistions
and background music. That said, there are some truly fantastic epic music choices in this edit.

Overall, I really enjoyed this edit. If you are Smallville or Batman fan, I think you will find it very interesting and clever.

Looking forward to seeing his Superman Genesis edit!:)

as Jonathan Kent says in the Smallville series finale, "Never forget about Smallville."

SUPERMAN GENESIS

okay, watching this now,
so I have watched parts 1 thru 4,
and I must say I am highly impressed!!!

The Editor has grown significantly since WORLD'S FINEST,
definitely a strong, clear narrative culling Smallville down to it's bare essense,
creating a more driven, self-assured and heroic Clark Kent.

So far, I am loving what I am seeing!
I recommend checking it out if you are at all slightly curious!:)

SUPERMAN GENESIS cont'd...

Have now watched parts 5 and 6, awaiting the link to the final part 7 to be uploaded.

Impressions so far, still overall very impressed.
Though storywise, there feels like a huge missing gap in the Clois storyline going from part 4 to 5. Definitely needs a couple of scenes more clearly establishing Lois and Clark's relationship.
Some great audio work in this edit, love most of the new soundtrack.
The new aspect ratio gives it a nice cinematic quality, but at the same time give many scenes a chopped head feeling.
For the fanboys, there is a nice little nod in the edit to Batman Begins in one scene.

Looking forward to the final chapter even more now.:)

SUPERMAN GENESIS final thoughts...

Have now watched the entire edit.
The editor should be commended on a job well done. Obviously a work of great passion.

The final act is very exciting, brilliant music choices, and the final battle with Darksied and the moving of Apokolyps is very well done.

The image manipulation putting Clark in the Super Suit is really well done.

There are little continuity issues throughout the edit that the viewer has to be willing to suspend their disbelief in order to enjoy the story... changing hair styles/lengths is a big one, and there are a few scenes where the clothing changes or do not match previous or following scenes and the final battle between Superman and Darksied combining street footage from The Incredible Hulk and Krypton Island from Superman Returns does not mesh very well... so if you are stickler for such things, then this edit may not be for you.

As I said before, the narrative holds up pretty well. There were a couple scenes I thought unnecessary, but more often enough I was actually wishing for MORE scenes, certain plot points needed more padding and/or development, in particular the evolution of the Clark and Lois romance and discovery of his secrect identity. Also, some plot points are not fully resolved, specifically the three prophets of darkness.

But in the end, I really enjoyed the ride. It was fun and entertaining.

I would definitely love to see an official dvd release by the editor. Though I am not certain if it is eligible for the Fan Edit Forum since the bulk of the movie consists of season ten of Smallville, which has not been released on dvd yet?

But definitely worth watching if you are Smallville fan. Thumbs up.:)

if it were to be released to dvd, it'd more than likely be released after Season 10 is released on dvd. possibly same goes for World's Finest as well (since there were a couple of scenes from Season 10 in there)

Imho, the Smallville eps worth watching are all from the first three seasons, and consist of... (*denotes the best of the lot)

Season 1

1. PILOT*
4. X-RAY*
6. HOURGLASS
10. SHIMMER
11. HUG* First-season best.
14. ZERO No Kryptonite-freak.
20. OBSCURA
21. TEMPEST No Kryptonite-freak.

Season 2

2.1 VORTEX No Kryptonite-freak.
2.8 LINEAGE* Season's second-best. No Kryptonite-freak.
2.9 RYAN
2.12 INSURGENCE No Kryptonite-freak.
2.16 FEVER No Kryptonite-freak.
2.17 ROSETTA* Series' second-best. No Kryptonite-freak.
2.18 VISITOR*
2.22 CALLING
2.23 EXODUS*

Season 3

3.1 EXILE/3.2 PHEONIX No Kryptonite-freak.
3.3 EXTINCTION
3.4 SLUMBER
3.8 SHATTERED No Kryptonite-freak.
3.13 VELOCITY
3.19 MEMORIA* Series' best. No Kryptonite-freak.

I've just finished watching Superman Genesis.

I really enjoyed the Smallville stuff at the start, nearly everything that was left in made sense and it was very well edited and well paced.

The middle section though I'm afraid I have to agree with bionicbob. The romance between Clark & Lois just didn't work, it was way Way too quick. 1 minute they meet for the first time, 10mins later he's declaring to Lois that she's "The One" and a minute after that they both saying "I Love You" and they're in the sack together. Like bionicbob I felt more scenes were needed to flesh out the romance.

The last section was better but again I agree with bionicbob that the continuity was stretched a little bit too far for me with the Darksied stuff, though the Apokolypse scenes I liked.

The one thing that I did dislike was the new score, I'm sure some people may like it but I didn't think the arpeggiated synth worked at all (Especially during the Funeral Scene) and that it was used way too often, along with the Inception style score.

It felt to me the editor knew exactly what he wanted to do with the Smallville Scenes at the start (ie replicate the Movie, which I agree with) and knew pretty much what he wanted to do with the ending but he was so keen to get to the ending he rushed the middle of the edit just to get to it.

I mean the 1st Superman movie clocked in at around 2hrs 40mins and Superman 2 was a bit over 2hrs. But Superman Genesis on the other hand comes in around 90mins and I don't understand why the edit needed to be so short considering how much story there was to get through.

Overall I think it was an amazing effort and I completely respect Superboy's achievement but having just recently watched Q2's edit Northwest Passage of Twin Peaks I feel Superman Genesis just needs more meat on it's bones. But what it does prove is that Smallville can be edited to make a great movie, though it'd probably be better as a Two Parter or Trilogy where each movie is around the 2 hour mark.​

I started watching Superman Genesis last night, but.. I fell asleep. The TRON LEGACY score wasn't very fitting IMHO, especially over the funeral scene. Even my girlfriend commented on the music - "what's up with that music?". :)

I gave up on it too, also skipped through some later chapters...it's all just too choppy for my taste. There's no real continuity at all, just a series of (often very) short scenes that echo moments in Superman's life. (As opposed to Smallville's version of Clark.) Some of the effects are well done, but other sequences jump jarringly back and forth between footage that doesn't even come close to matching.

I did like him using the alternate reality sequence for Clark meeting Lois and Jimmy. Skips over all those years of Lois living in Smallville like that! [Snaps fingers] :)

emphatic said:
Even my girlfriend commented on the music - "what's up with that music?". :)

So it wasn't just me who felt that way, phew!

Uncanny Antman said:
There's no real continuity at all, just a series of (often very) short scenes that echo moments in Superman's life.

Agreed. Touching base with key moments isn't the same as proper plot or character development.

Uncanny Antman said:
Some of the effects are well done, but other sequences jump jarringly back and forth between footage that doesn't even come close to matching.

Again I agree. I think Superboy comes from a different culture of editing. With his other edit World's Finest you can get away with those sort of issues because you're merging 2 separate films. But when you're editing 1 film or one main source I don't think you can get away with those sort of continuity issues in the same way.

I didn't mind his hair getting shorter or longer scene to scene because under the circumstances it can't be helped. But when you start adding in different movies into a single scene that can cause so many continuity problems I'm not sure it's worth it.

Uncanny Antman said:
I did like him using the alternate reality sequence for Clark meeting Lois and Jimmy. Skips over all those years of Lois living in Smallville like that! [Snaps fingers] :)

Yeah, that was pretty damn smart! I hope Superboy does come to the forum as he's clearly a talented guy and he's edits will definitely make a positive contribution, but I think it will be good for him too as there are loads of talent editors on this forum already and I'm sure they will have a positive effect on him too.

Regarding steelio2006's question, I think nearly the whole of Season 10 is essential to the overall story. From what I remember there was hardly any Freak of the Week episodes in it.

I liked how the winter funeral faded out and it was summer all of a sudden. Very subtle.

NOT.

Uncanny Antman said:
Some of the effects are well done, but other sequences jump jarringly back and forth between footage that doesn't even come close to matching.

I was thinking about this again (As it's Sunday & I've got nothing better to do), but I was wondering if it would of been better to use the fight scenes with Clark Vs Doomsday at the end of Season 8? It's a street scene like in Superman Genesis and I'm assuming (& I'm no expert) that it would be no more difficult to rotoscope Doomsday to look like Darkseid as it was for Superboy to make the Hulk look like Darkseid? Plus it would mean you wouldn't have to intercut between different sources and get all those continuity issues. Though I think getting Clark to look like Supe would be a bugger.

There wasn't really a fight scene with Doomsday though. It was more like Clark did a super jump across Metropolis and buried him. I haven't watched Genesis yet, but I'm interested to see what was done with Abomination.

musiced921 said:
There wasn't really a fight scene with Doomsday though. It was more like Clark did a super jump across Metropolis and buried him. I haven't watched Genesis yet, but I'm interested to see what was done with Abomination.

True, but I think from an edit POV the overall result would be better. I'm assuming that Superboy was going for an epic Finale but if the scenes don't exist to make it happen then sometimes you've got to try something else.

musiced921, I'd be interested to read what you think when you've watched Genesis.

I'm definitely going to check it out tomorrow! I'm really excited to see what he's done with the finale portions.

Smallville is one of the best and incredible show. I like this show. Its music, cast and plot is really really good. I am a big fan of this show.

mak2aure said:
Smallville is one of the best and incredible show. I like this show. Its music, cast and plot is really really good. I am a big fan of this show.

I agree, great show with an excellent cast. Season 10 was great. Wasn't sure about the finale at first as I am sure everyone knows by now
Tom does not wear the suit but is CGIed
but even so great ending particuarlly the part on
the roof at the end with the JW music

Looking forward to the Season 11 comic for sure. It's going to be awesome. Cause now they can actually show characters that they couldn't show on television So we're gonna be finally getting to see what a Smallvillized Batman is going to be like.

Back
Top Bottom