• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Smallville

thunderclap said:
I haven't watched Smallville in years, but I tuned in for the finale to see how they would wrap it up. Overall it was really weak.

thunderclap did you watch any of the last season before you tuned into the finale? Because just watching the last episode is kinda like going to the end of a book to find out "who did it". It can kinda ruin the experience.
- there was a LOT more melodrama than I remember from previous seasons. I mean come on... you have a giant flaming planet sitting in the sky yet you have time to take two minutes to stand outside a house talking about how much you've changed each other. Blah.

It didn't bother me but I do see your point. The thing is Season 10 is about Clark finding out who he is so he can become Superman, so the melodrama was always going to laid on a bit thicker than normal.

- Lex comes back only to have him mind wiped? Blah.

I think that was done for some continuity reasons. I'm not saying it worked, just saying that's why they did it. To keep the Fan Boys happy I suppose.

- All the villains were easily defeated: the trio are taken out simultaneously when Oliver shoots three arrows. Lionel is shot. Lionel is then flown through and dissipates. The planet is about crash into earth yet Superman just flies up and pushes it away. Blah.

The villains have been incidental for the whole season as this season was about Clark "finding himself". Unlike previous seasons there wasn't really a build up for a final confrontation with a villain in this season. Lionel getting shot didn't bother me too much. I mean they had 10 years of loose ends to tie up so I think they were just trying to get through them as efficiently as possible. But I think in the bid to tie everything up some of the drama may have been sacrificed as a result.

- I like how they never showed the actor in full Superman garb. Always only little glimpses, but nothing more.

That did actually bother me. I did want to see him in the suit, I didn't like the CGI Superman at all. I mean they had everything else in the show they even used the John Williams music so I don't get why we didn't see the suit.

To be honestthunderclap I actually agree with most of your comments. But I don't put shows like Smallville under the same kind of scrutiny as I do for shows like The Wire or The Sopranos (not saying that you do or are) because for me Smallville is a bit of harmless fun. :)

I have to agree with Thunderclap's comments as well, except for his last one. FatherMerrin summed up my thoughts perfectly. I think we didn't see what we wanted to see (trying not to give anything away) was because of either Tom Welling being whiny about it or WB was on their case because of the Man of Steel coming out next year. WB tends to halfass everything with their movies. Their animated stuff I've always found enjoyable for the most part. Still love Superman TAS despite what people say about Superman being weaker in the animated series.

After the Finale was over, I went straight to my TAS DVD's and watched a couple of episodes to get my fix.

musiced921 said:
Still love Superman TAS despite what people say about Superman being weaker in the animated series.
The power level he has in TAS/JL/JLU is where I prefer him. Silver Age, he was destroying galaxies with a sneeze and ridiculous stuff like that, whereas TAS he would get knocked around by punches and electricity and what-not...but he is still the big gun, the one who people are rightfully nervous about when he really lets loose. His 'speech' when giving Darkseid the mega-beatdown in the JLU finale? Woah. :)

The only reason I was super disappointed and angry after watching the JLU Finale was because there was no more episodes left and the series was over. I watched Superman, then went right into JL and JLU because of my love for Superman. I have VERY high expectations for Man of Steel. I'm fine with the casting so far.

I'd prefer Diane Kruger for Lois Lane, but Amy Adams is fine and I'm sure will do a good job. I saw Cavill in some random Nazi Zombie movie and despite my dislike of the movie, he was fine. I'll check out the Immortals because of him like I checked out Sucker Punch for Snyder. While Sucker Punch was what I felt after leaving the theater, I'm sure the Immortals will be a step up.

Has everyone seen the last episode yet? I eager to get something off my chest about the finale.:peep:

FatherMerrin said:
Has everyone seen the last episode yet? I eager to get something off my chest about the finale.:peep:

If anything, throw it in a spoiler tag.

*******SPOILERS WARNING************

Okay, so I finally got a chance to sit down and watch the Finale.

I know there have been alot of mixed reviews and emotions over this final episode,
but in my opinion, I thought it was great!

Not perfect, though by Smallville standards, it was pretty close to it.

For a final closing episode to a long running tv series, I think it delivered pretty well.

Being a sucker for a good romance, I loved the Wedding Vow scene, the wedding was great
and the whole final evolution of Clark's and Lois' relationship was spot on perfect.

Some people have commented here and other boards, that there was too much melodrama.
I find this surprising, because Smallville has always been from day one a soap opera.
Melodrama is the key ingrediant to the show's formula of success.
One just has to watch Last Survivor's excellent fan edit Destiny to know this is true.

Smallville has NEVER been a SUPERMAN show.
And I think this where watchers of the show get stuck and turned off. They keep expecting Superman epic style stories and battles. But in truth, the super-fights and villains have always been secondary elements in the series. First and foremost, the series is about Clark finding his destiny and his relationship with those around him, who help shape him into the hero he will one day become. And I think the Finale clearly and smartly stuck to this formula.

In truth, I was actually surprised at how much of Superman we saw! Sure, most of it was CGI, but who cares! It was still Superman for the last 15 minutes! Would I have loved to have seen more? To have seen a full shot of Welling in costume? Or an epic drag down fight fight with Darkseid? Sure. Of course I would have. But as I have already stated, that is not what the show has ever been truly about. Either way, I think I had the biggest, goofiest, fanboy smile on my face for the entire last 30 minutes. And when the John Williams themes started to play, I think I actually choked up a bit. The entire closing coda was pitch perfect, from the surprise voice cameo of Michael Mckeon as Perry White, and Shawn Ashmore as the real Jimmy Olsen, to the awesome rooftop scene-- I loved it all. I am such a nerd!

On the return of Lex Luthor, I think it was handled pretty well. The clone angle fits with established Superman canon. The confrontation between Clark and Lex in the mansion ruins was classic Smallville. I loved it. Lex killing Tess, well I think we all knew she was going to die somehow and it is fitting for Lex to be her killer. As for the mind wipe, I understand why it was done, as Lex Luthor can not know Superman's true identity but I have to say I think it was sloppy writing and could have been handled better. But I did love the Luthor Corp sign being destroyed, and thus becoming Lex Corp as it is in the comics.

Clark's relationship with his two fathers was nicely resolved. Jonathan handing Clark the suit and saying "Never forget Smallville" was wonderful and touching.

Green Arrow subplot was nicely tied up. Some may argue the whole "I believe in you" from Clark was too easy, but for me it works. It is classic Superman. In fact, I would go so far to argue, that in many respects, Smallville may be the most acurate comic book adaption done on television. As the series evolved, and moved from Smallville to Metropolis, the story telling style became more and more comic book in tone and style. And I mean this in the best sense of the word. If you read comics, then you know they are in essence soap operas with capes and fights. As the show evolved, it did not attempt to convince audiences that this is the "real" world ( the way Batman Begins does), it proudly embraced its comic origins (and comic book logic) and ran with it. For this reason, I truly appreciate and love the show and its writers. It was escapist fun.

I could write a lot more, and I may in the next day or two. But for now, all I want to say is, I truly loved the Finale
and I will miss the show.

The only thing that bugged me was the poor way they handle the Superman footage and I have a couple of reasons for this, reason 1 is practical, reason 2 is sentimental.

The argument that we didn't really need to see Tom Welling in the Superman costume because the show was never about Superman doesn't hold up. The last 10 mins in the Finale gave us pretty much every iconic Superman moment, bar Tom Welling wearing the suit.

If it was only ever about Smallville then why have the costume at the end? Why have the John Williams music? Why have the shirt rip? It's either about Smallville or it's not and the second CGI Superman changed into the costume and flew out the Fortress it stopped being about Smallville and started being about Superman.

Also, on the practical side of things. The person who's idea it was not to have a single solitary shot of Tom Welling in the suit actually buggered up the ending both visually and story wise. As a result of that decision we were treated to a load of odd looking close ups of Tom's head, blurred distant shots and a CGI Superman flying so quickly he was barely visible.

There are many examples of this but the stand out one for me is when the Plantet was pushed away. Anyone in their right mind making this episode would of had a close up shot of Superman struggling to push away the Planet. But we didn't even get that elementary shot. As a result we just got a speedy CGI thingy whooshing past everyone and then the Planet going away. It completely undermined the drama of the whole scene.

Finally and more importantly for the Season. If you look at my responses to thunderclap you will see that I made a point of talking about how the last season was about Clark's journey and him full filling his destiny. It has been repeated for quite some time now in the last few seasons that Clark had to step out into the light reveal himself to the world, inspire the people of Earth and lead the world into a golden age of heroes.

Which brings me back to not seeing Welling in the suit, it actually undermines all that the last season stood for. You got to remember it wasn't just the TV audience who didn't see Superman the people of Metropolis didn't see him either. And if no-one saw Superman then how can they know who saved them? How can they be inspired? How can the purpose of the last season work if no-one saw the hero who saved them? It was Superman who was supposed to remove the Omega signs from the people's head, but what we got was the signs being removed because of a stranger. The Planet should of been made safe then Superman should of flown down let everyone get a good look at him THEN the Omega signs should of disappeared. That would of fitted with the plot, it would of worked from a practical point of view and it would of pleased the audience all at the same time.

Don't get me wrong I enjoyed the episode and I can live with the Shirt Rip being the ending, but not showing Welling for whatever reason in the suit undermined the last episode on many levels and I can't think of a single solitary good reason why they chose to do it that way.

AGREED!!!!!

I thought the close up shots of his head were rather odd as well. I was hoping that after he moved the planet and the omega signs disappeared, he would come down and reveal himself to the world and make a Superman-esque speech to the people of Metropolis.

What about Lois naming him Superman? How would that have occurred in Smallville's universe?

I enjoyed the shirt rip ending, to the point that I've watched it 10x daily (slight exaggeration). It did look rather cheaply done and I don't want to hear how it's a TV budget blah blah blah.

What about Green Arrow and Black Canary? I guess they aren't getting together in Smallville's world. What about Chloe and her new identity? How did that work when there is a marriage certificate that states her name with Oliver's?

I'm not trying to be a pain and nit pick. I also can admit I had too high expectations for the finale where I shut off all of my lights and watched it like it was a movie. Fans wanted certain things and I think they met us halfway. We did get more Superman than anyone could have anticipated for sure.

Let's not even talk about Smallville's use of vessels. Lionel as Darkseid was a total cop out. They should have used the Darkseid effects from the Cadmus scene to have him in the barn. Homecoming is still the episode to me that delivered!

one of my friends asked me if Smallville would be good enough to watch or not. i told them yeah. but they asked what the essential episodes would be for each season.

I know LastSurvivor's Smallville Destiny covers the first season. So, I'm recommending that one to them. But after that, what episodes would u guys say are 'essential episodes' to the Smallville mythology for each season?

I came to the show late in the day to be honest, but I do know that the Finale left a lot of people disappointed. So once your mate has decided which episodes he's going to watch he could probably add this Fanedit to his list. I haven't seen it yet and will get back to you properly when I have, but it seems pretty cool and looks like it delivers on Tom Welling becoming Superman, unlike the Finale.

FatherMerrin said:
I came to the show late in the day to be honest, but I do know that the Finale left a lot of people disappointed. So once your mate has decided which episodes he's going to watch he could probably add this Fanedit to his list. I haven't seen it yet and will get back to you properly when I have, but it seems pretty cool and looks like it delivers on Tom Welling becoming Superman, unlike the Finale.

i actually thought bout commenting on Superman: Genesis project over at Youtube. Ive been talking back and forth with the editor, known as SouperboyX. Cause I found his other project that he completed called The World's Finest (Smallville meets Nolan's Batman). Which is awesome as well. I'd highly recommend it.

Souperboy is actually gonna be joining the boards over here in the future. He just said he hasn't had a lotta time to sign up over here yet. So we can expect more from him in the future.

okay, for those that are interested. since the cat is outta the bag.

Superman: Genesis will premiering tonight on youtube at 8pm eastern time. So to hold those over that are interested in seeing it till then, I'd recommend checking out World's Finest by Souperboy.

This looks epic. Will he be doing a DVD version?

World's Finest is definitely epic. One of my friends started watching this bout almost midway through, and was blown away by the epicness of it.

And, that's something that's in talks right now. Be able to provide more details soon possibly.

I'm gonna download World's Finest now from YouTube with JDownloader. Thanks for the tip.

here's an update. there will be a dvd version of World's Finest released, as well as Superman: Genesis possibly. the date is unknown at this time when it'll be released. but should have more info on it soon.

who's getting excited for Superman: Genesis?

watched the 2 part episode "Absolute Justice", first time I've seen it. I have to say that it is really awesome. Definitely everything I had hoped for in a JSA episode. Plus, awesome to see Martian Manhunter as well. And the best thing I enjoyed seeing was Stargirl in live action.

Wow, I go away for a while and what do I find when I come back?
Smallville still alive and well on the Forum.
Thank Rao!!!

I watched WORLD'S FINEST a few months back when it was on Vimeo, created my own dvd for it, though I would love to see an official release by it's author. So I don't know if the version on Youtube is the same cut or an updated version two. My thoughts below are based on the Vimeo version...;-)

It is a surprisely good mash-up edit. Overall, the story is structurely sound and cohesive, though there are some plot gaps here and there, but that is pretty much to be expected with this type of edit.

Most of the image manipulation is pretty decent. It is cool seeing these two iconic characters on screen together.

Overall the editting is sound. There are one or two actual moments of sheer brilliance in this edit. But there are also a few moments where the editing could have been tighter and more time spent. Many of the scene transitions are a bit jarring and uneven and just don't flow. Mostly I think this is due to sound design. I think the edit could use another couple passes smoothing out the audio transistions
and background music. That said, there are some truly fantastic epic music choices in this edit.

Overall, I really enjoyed this edit. If you are Smallville or Batman fan, I think you will find it very interesting and clever.

Looking forward to seeing his Superman Genesis edit!:)

Back
Top Bottom