• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Vote now in wave 1 of the FEOTM Reboot!

SHURI : Black Panther II - shortened and focused - complete

Hey guys, I don't mean to bug, but I can't really continue with this without getting some other perspective on it. I mean I could, but I don't feel comfortable releasing a sub par edit to the site.
Is there anyone who would be wiling to look at this draft?

Hey guys, I don't mean to bug, but I can't really continue with this without getting some other perspective on it. I mean I could, but I don't feel comfortable releasing a sub par edit to the site.
Is there anyone who would be wiling to look at this draft?
Look, I know a lot of people here are of the attitude that fanedits are done for ourselves and nobody else, and that's fine.
I don't do them just for me though and people like to ask for fanedits and don't give much back. I do it for sharing, for listening to what people like and want and trying to deliver a good experience.
At the end of the day if I were to take the attitude that my work is for me, then I'm not going to bother sharing it.
I started this topic gauging interest because I didn't want to waste my time and it seems I have wasted my time.
I'm asking for help and getting ignored. Maybe ya'll just don't like me at this point. I guess I just come across as a nag.
well I'll do you all a favour and I just won't bother any more. I think I'm just about done here.
Probably good for you guys anyway. clearly you don't want my work.

Don't bother replying or messaging me, I'm not comfortable with the sense that I'm being mollycoddled or that people are going out of the way to please me. I'm just disappointed with this here topic. I've asked for help twice and the only reply i've got is from this good man referencing an old post.

If I can get help elsewhere, you might see this released elsewhere, but it's not going to be here.

Surprised by the lack of previewers, to be honest. Your work has always been well liked here. In fact I myself would have volunteered at once if my plate wasn't currently pretty full. Won't say anything about how it made you feel since each and everyone of us is fighting a battle the rest have no idea about, but I'd personally be sad to see you go. Dammit, I really wanted that abridged LOTR!

Surprised by the lack of previewers, to be honest. Your work has always been well liked here. In fact I myself would have volunteered at once if my plate wasn't currently pretty full. Won't say anything about how it made you feel since each and everyone of us is fighting a battle the rest have no idea about, but I'd personally be sad to see you go. Dammit, I really wanted that abridged LOTR!
I appreciate your reply. I think you understand how isolated I've been feeling. I can't work without support though and I can't keep doing this. I believe you when you say my work is appreciated. I really do need the kind of support that it seems I'm just not going to get. Maybe I will get that support from elsewhere. You visit Reddit, right? I'll see how it goes there.
I'd like to say that if people reply here then things will be different, but this is not the first time I've been in this situation, and making posts like this is not good for my self esteem. I see your name and your words and I appreciate you.

I appreciate your reply. I think you understand how isolated I've been feeling. I can't work without support though and I can't keep doing this. I believe you when you say my work is appreciated. I really do need the kind of support that it seems I'm just not going to get. Maybe I will get that support from elsewhere. You visit Reddit, right? I'll see how it goes there.
I'd like to say that if people reply here then things will be different, but this is not the first time I've been in this situation, and making posts like this is not good for my self esteem. I see your name and your words and I appreciate you.
Thanks for the kind words. I'm positive I'm not alone in this appreciation, though. One just has to see the IFDb ratings and reviews your edits have been getting. But some projects just have slower starts than others. I've had edits that kinda exploded unexpectedly, and others that only gathered choirs of crickets. But anything, if worthwhile, can gain an audience at any given point.

I do visit Reddit indeed, though be warned: most fanedit-related posts and messages I've gotten have been the hit-and-run variety. Lots of link requests, few thank yous, almost no feedback messages.

I'd still like you to stay. FE.org may not be perfect because no site is, but I still think it's the best fanedit place in the internet.

Thanks for the kind words. I'm positive I'm not alone in this appreciation, though. One just has to see the IFDb ratings and reviews your edits have been getting. But some projects just have slower starts than others. I've had edits that kinda exploded unexpectedly, and others that only gathered choirs of crickets. But anything, if worthwhile, can gain an audience at any given point.

I do visit Reddit indeed, though be warned: most fanedit-related posts and messages I've gotten have been the hit-and-run variety. Lots of link requests, few thank yous, almost no feedback messages.

I'd still like you to stay. FE.org may not be perfect because no site is, but I still think it's the best fanedit place in the internet.
I hear you loud and clear. I think it's unfair to expect people to cater to my needs though. As you said, people have their own stuff going on. The world certainly doesn't revolve around me and I just need to do the best for me. Rather than complain that people aren't paying attention to me, it's best for me to stop looking for it.
Since you make some good points and given me a little bit of perspective, it makes little sense to say never. It doesn't serve anyone to simply not release my work here. How I get my motivation to work on these things though, is another story.

I hear you loud and clear. I think it's unfair to expect people to cater to my needs though. As you said, people have their own stuff going on. The world certainly doesn't revolve around me and I just need to do the best for me. Rather than complain that people aren't paying attention to me, it's best for me to stop looking for it.
Since you make some good points and given me a little bit of perspective, it makes little sense to say never. It doesn't serve anyone to simply not release my work here. How I get my motivation to work on these things though, is another story.
Everyone has their own motivations. For me, the main one is the learning. I've gone through film school and graduated not knowing the 1% of what I know now about actual editing, and the other 99% was achieved via fanedits, both making my own and studying other people's. Editing is an art by itself, which goes way beyond cutting out scenes you don't like from movies. It's the perspective that cutting out said scenes gives you, it's the problem solving when the removals present their own issues that have to be worked around, it's checking if the changes hurt or enhance the narrative or the pacing ir the flow, or beyond all that it's even using the footage as pieces to build your own puzzle. Right now, while I am never really satisfied with anything I make and while I'm still learning and won't stop doing so till the day I die, I can confidently call myself a decent editor (editor, not faneditor). And that's largely thanks to fanedits.

You're valued. Not everyone will always agree with your editing choices, even though they expressed interest in your edit. Some of us might support through watching and trying to understand the reasoning behind your edit. I personally can only give feedback on short clips most often. I haven't seen any of those recently. Perhaps sharing specific scenes and/or asking about specific portions of your ideas might get some more traction.

Everyone has their own motivations. For me, the main one is the learning. I've gone through film school and graduated not knowing the 1% of what I know now about actual editing, and the other 99% was achieved via fanedits, both making my own and studying other people's. Editing is an art by itself, which goes way beyond cutting out scenes you don't like from movies. It's the perspective that cutting out said scenes gives you, it's the problem solving when the removals present their own issues that have to be worked around, it's checking if the changes hurt or enhance the narrative or the pacing ir the flow, or beyond all that it's even using the footage as pieces to build your own puzzle. Right now, while I am never really satisfied with anything I make and while I'm still learning and won't stop doing so till the day I die, I can confidently call myself a decent editor (editor, not faneditor). And that's largely thanks to fanedits.
hmm... being able to succeed is a thing. I have a learning disability that makes it monumentally difficult to see the bigger picture though, so I rely on feedback from others for a lot of stuff. I get that people appreciate my work, but it's really not 100% mine, I get a lot from the people who feed back to me. The special thanks on my credits are more than just a tip of the hat.

You're valued. Not everyone will always agree with your editing choices, even though they expressed interest in your edit. Some of us might support through watching and trying to understand the reasoning behind your edit. I personally can only give feedback on short clips most often. I haven't seen any of those recently. Perhaps sharing specific scenes and/or asking about specific portions of your ideas might get some more traction.
So a change in tack.... that is powerful feedback. You are right, providing quick and accessible things for people to look at does generally result in more engagement. I feel concerned that There would be no way to get feedback on general pacing, but people have limited time of course. I understand that all too well.

In all honesty, most edits seem to only have 10-15 minutes of actual edited scenes. The rest is usually removals. If I can see those 10-15 min and I know the source material, often that's enough to know if the flow would work. With you being an approved editor, I can assume a baseline of quality in all editing areas so I can focus more on narrative or the specific skill you are applying in a scene, eg auditor transitions, audio replacement, etc.

If you know your specific support needs, I'd suggest requesting that support within the framework of the environment and support structure you are accessing. Giving us specific, short examples to critique and give you feedback on meets both your needs and the needs of others.

Tremault said:
Probably good for you guys anyway. clearly you don't want my work.

Seriously, you've got huge amount of feedback here with your previous edits. I've never had so much feedback with anything I've presented in my in-the-works threads, so I guess I should feel offended every time I show something here and there are no comments on it.... But that is not the right way to participate in this place.

Unfortunately, I can't help with that particular edit in any way as I consider this movie a complete waste of time (as most of MCU movies after Endgame) and I am generally tired by the genre itself (and I guess not only me). You just can't expect that every single of your ideas will get similar amount of feedback - not everything looks interesting enough to people for them to spent the time on commenting it. One edit gets the attention, another don't and this is nothing personal and not a reason to be like "Fine, if you dont give me feedback then I'm done". That kind of attitude isnt' really encouraging you know?

And btw, reddit sucks. You won't get there the kind of feedback you can get here. No chance.

Last edited:
Seriously, you've got huge amount of feedback here with your previous edits. I've never had so much feedback with anything I've presented in my in-the-works threads, so I guess I should feel offended every time I show something here and there are no comments on it.... But that is not the right way to participate in this place.

Unfortunately, I can't help with that particular edit in any way as I consider this movie a complete waste of time (as most of MCU movies after Endgame) and I am generally tired by the genre itself (and I guess not only me). You just can't expect that every single of your ideas will get similar amount of feedback - not everything looks interesting enough to people for them to spent the time on commenting it. One edit gets the attention, another don't and this is nothing personal and not a reason to be like "Fine, if you dont give me feedback then I'm done". That kind of attitude isnt' really encouraging you know?

And btw, reddit sucks. You won't get there the kind of feedback you can get here. No chance.
I apologise. I 100% agree with what you say. This is completely on me and is to do with my own personal issues. That's why I said earlier that when I find myself in this place it is not good for my self esteem. I know you're right, but I can't help it.
What I've written is a reflection of how I feel about the world, it's most certainly not a reflection of you guys. You are awesome and many of you have given me way more support than others have gotten. I'm not ungrateful, I'm just kinda broken inside. That's my responsibility.

I'm totally down to review a 10-15 min stretch for you if that'd be helpful!
Thank you, I appreciate that.

In all honesty, most edits seem to only have 10-15 minutes of actual edited scenes. The rest is usually removals. If I can see those 10-15 min and I know the source material, often that's enough to know if the flow would work. With you being an approved editor, I can assume a baseline of quality in all editing areas so I can focus more on narrative or the specific skill you are applying in a scene, eg auditor transitions, audio replacement, etc.

If you know your specific support needs, I'd suggest requesting that support within the framework of the environment and support structure you are accessing. Giving us specific, short examples to critique and give you feedback on meets both your needs and the needs of others.
This makes a lot of sense. I'll keep this in mind, thanks.

Okay, thanks guys for your patience. I have thought about this and came up with this idea. I'll present my edit list as a series of clips and descriptions. this way you can see what I've done without having to watch a whole film. more accessible and hopefully better all round.

Reduced the funeral scene

Introduce T'Challa's speech in front of UN, followed by Wakanda into with contrasting news story about Ramonda's isolationism. Chadwick's moment of silence is reserved for the end. When Shuri grieves, we can grieve with her.

I'll put the rest in spoiler for modesty.

Cut from Lab to the mining ship, heavily edited the ship scene just because it was long for no good reason?

Removed Ross' line about execution because it sets up Ross' story that I'm trying to remove

removed the flying komoyo bead attaching to the fed vehicle, that detail was not obvious and I'm drastically shortening this chase scene

shortened chase scene, as it's main reason seemed to be to build up Riri. removed her doing the same kind of thing Tony did in Ironman, removed the Drone as much as I could. Now Riri just smashes the cars with some random thing that she got from somewhere. If necessary I can go back in and add a night footage of flashy looking speedboats to imply she threw a boat? I also sped up the ridiculously slow motion water explosion

Reduced references to Ross' relationship with the woman, removed Ramonda stripping Okoye of her rank, giving Okoye a bit more agency and motivation and making Ramonda seem a little less crazy and vindictive. Now it will seem that Okoye quit when she drove her spear into the ground and feels more like an exit than a 'low point'.

removed more of Ross' relationship subplot

Removed Ramonda's visit to Haiti (part of it to be reintroduced later)

Removed Nakia's investigative mission, it's not really necessary

post 2 of 4
Removed Nakia preparing to infiltrate and inserted Ramonda going to Haiti and appearing before Nakia, the rest is simply to be inferred

Removed Ross at the headquarters

Removed this conversation with Aneka, it's unnecessary

removed Okoye and Nakia chatting at the market

Removed much of Okoye and Nakia being rescue heroes, the movie's not about them

Removed Ramonda and Riri coordinating the rescue vehicles and Okoye and blue man shot.

removed cutaways from Ramonda's final struggle, we need to focus on this

Removed scene at Ross' house, and the small scene before it that served little purpose

removed Okoye recruiting Aneka, we don't ned this focus on them

post 3 of 4

Removed the heart shaped herb ritual to shift the impact of her decision to when she appears before M'Baku

reintroduced portions of the heart shaped herb ritual to add weight to Nakia's warning

reduced emphasis on Riri

Further reduction of Riri

And again

And again

and again, but also some pointless clips of wakandans regrouping.

removed excessively long underwater shots

Reduced focus on the Wakandans battle and the Midnight Angel things.

post 4 of 4

extremely complicated edit to remove all cutaways. This battle doesn't work for me with any kind of cutaway. I tried many things, even flashbacks to what would be in Shuri's mind, but it always ruins it for me.

Removed Namor's laugh

redid this sequence. The original was rather random and confusing. After much study, i realised it was comparing Shuri's values to Namor's values. I restructured it to make these values more cohesive. Shuri is now recounting in her mind as follows; losing her mother in namor's assault, then tracing her memory backwards to the wakandan village, then back to namor's callousness before that in Talokan, remembering the people in Talokan , starting to see their commonalities, they both loved their mother and both lost their mother, ending on her love for her mother most of all.

Removed Namor back in Talokan for end credits, and removed midnight angel rescuing Ross

removed music fade in,

connected the end credits scene right here.

And inserted Namor's speech as end credits scene, but I ran out of accounts to upload a clip XD

Okay, thanks guys for your patience. I have thought about this and came up with this idea. I'll present my edit list as a series of clips and descriptions. this way you can see what I've done without having to watch a whole film. more accessible and hopefully better all round.

Reduced the funeral scene

Introduce T'Challa's speech in front of UN, followed by Wakanda into with contrasting news story about Ramonda's isolationism. Chadwick's moment of silence is reserved for the end. When Shuri grieves, we can grieve with her.

I'll put the rest in spoiler for modesty.

Cut from Lab to the mining ship, heavily edited the ship scene just because it was long for no good reason?

Removed Ross' line about execution because it sets up Ross' story that I'm trying to remove

removed the flying komoyo bead attaching to the fed vehicle, that detail was not obvious and I'm drastically shortening this chase scene

shortened chase scene, as it's main reason seemed to be to build up Riri. removed her doing the same kind of thing Tony did in Ironman, removed the Drone as much as I could. Now Riri just smashes the cars with some random thing that she got from somewhere. If necessary I can go back in and add a night footage of flashy looking speedboats to imply she threw a boat? I also sped up the ridiculously slow motion water explosion

Reduced references to Ross' relationship with the woman, removed Ramonda stripping Okoye of her rank, giving Okoye a bit more agency and motivation and making Ramonda seem a little less crazy and vindictive. Now it will seem that Okoye quit when she drove her spear into the ground and feels more like an exit than a 'low point'.

removed more of Ross' relationship subplot

Removed Ramonda's visit to Haiti (part of it to be reintroduced later)

Removed Nakia's investigative mission, it's not really necessary
Got a chance to view a few of these & love what I see. I really appreciate the use of Chadwick's speech to the UN, kinda wish it were in the actual movie.

In regards to your prior posts, I can say you've brought completely fresh ideas to each & every edit of yours I've read about & seen. Sorry I haven't been more vocal on your posts, I've just got a lot of plates spinning professionally & personally (I swear, once I've seen GotG 3, I'm giving your Thor 4 edit a watch, I've not forgotten!) I hope you'll stick around for the long haul, as I'm excited for what you'll take on in the future. Posting stuff to reddit is fine, though I doubt you'd get the same quality of feedback as you'd get here.

Got a chance to view a few of these & love what I see. I really appreciate the use of Chadwick's speech to the UN, kinda wish it were in the actual movie.

In regards to your prior posts, I can say you've brought completely fresh ideas to each & every edit of yours I've read about & seen. Sorry I haven't been more vocal on your posts, I've just got a lot of plates spinning professionally & personally (I swear, once I've seen GotG 3, I'm giving your Thor 4 edit a watch, I've not forgotten!) I hope you'll stick around for the long haul, as I'm excited for what you'll take on in the future. Posting stuff to reddit is fine, though I doubt you'd get the same quality of feedback as you'd get here.
I totally appreciate that. I struggle to do stuff myself. I just got tied up in knots and my own personal crap.
Thanks for the feedback, it means a lot.

Back
Top Bottom