• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Vote now in wave 1 of the FEOTM Reboot!

Man of Steel: A Symbol of Hope (TM2YC FanFix)

I've finished grading the last shot of the film today :) .

Now I need to go back to the start and finesse the grade throughout. Plus more fine tuning of the audio mix in places. So I'm getting there. This should be on track for a pre-JL release.

octoroxx said:
I really hope Elfman doesn't drop Zimmer's MoS theme.

Me too (and not just because I've made it central to this edit). I was pleasantly surprised that WW's Zimmer theme was not only retained for her film but woven in to the new music.

The trailer music was a different version of the Man of Steel theme.

After a watch through, there is less to do than I thought.

- 10-15 places were I want to do small audio tweaks
- Some fine tuning of the grade during the Krypton opening
- A few shots and scenes here and there that need tweaks to the grade
- Add my usual "Thanks!" titlecard at the end

That's about it really. Sometime in October this will be done for sure.

Awesometacular  :) glad to see this turn out so well

This has been my most anticipated fanedit of the year  :) glad to hear we can check it out soon! Everything has looked amazing.

I was hoping to have this ready for a final render this weekend but I didn't quite make it. Plenty of progress though:

- Opening scene audio/music remixed again
- Reworked the grade on every shot in the 20-minute Krypton prologue, with added attention to skin tones and shadows.
- Audio tweaks for first hour complete
- Reworked the grade for the horrible green interrogation scene yet again. The red in Superman's cape is "popping" nicely now

TM2YC said:
the 20-minute Krypton prologue
I'm looking forward to seeing what you've done with this film, especially the grading, but this still sends a chill down my spine. :)

A minor quibble I had with this film was the over-use of swear words, for what should be a film suitable for and aimed at kids. One example being the bully calling Clark a "Dick splash" just before the school bus crashes. 20 seconds into this youtube clip (for comparison)...

I suddenly thought of a way to remove it adding soundFX to imply Clark is turning his head because he is hearing what is about to happen. Hopefully this comes across...

(Password: fanedit.org)

The scene is also regraded and rescored. The bully calling Clark an "Ass wipe" has to stay unfortunately because we need to know he is being mean to Clark.

Doesn't work for me, sadly. It comes across as though Clark is looking behind his left side reacting to an object that's popping *in front* of his left side. I wonder if there's a way to make it clearer that Clark is listening for something, like if you were to turn the sound down/filter out high-frequency sounds to just before the wheel pops, inspired by this video (relevant info is from 8:26-11:00):

It seems to work just fine for me personally. Maybe there could be a small sound byte just before the tire pops?

Yes, it works.  And yes, it could be better if you muffled the sound before the tire explodes.

I dont think that the context is there for it to seem like he is reacting to the sound of the crash. You could just cut out "dicksplash", but keep the "Come on!", with the very end of the line being cut off by the sound of the crash. It wont give you the effect you're going for, but it could help ease the abruptness.

The muffle sound idea sounds like it could enhance the scene quite well. I really like the idea, it just needs something slightly more to make the context work. I immediately thought of a Spider-Sense esque sound, but that could seem a bit cheesy and overused.

@"SpectacularSMan" a bit of cheese could be a nice change of pace amid all of DCs dark and gritty ;)

TM2YC said:
A minor quibble I had with this film was the over-use of swear words, for what should be a film suitable for and aimed at kids. One example being the bully calling Clark a "Dick splash" just before the school bus crashes. 20 seconds into this youtube clip (for comparison)...

The scene is also regraded and rescored. The bully calling Clark an "Ass wipe" has to stay unfortunately because we need to know he is being mean to Clark.

The edited audio was perfect to my ears. Thanks for doing this. I also think the dialogue they chose was pretty poor. I work with students and this feels forced.

Is there any other instances of Pete calling him a names or making fun of him that could be substituted or remixed? I remember messing around with this scene before I heard you were making the definitive version and borrowing and remixing some of Pete's other lines. I think he calls him a freak during another scene.

Back
Top Bottom