• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Vote now in wave 1 of the FEOTM Reboot!

Man of Steel: A Symbol of Hope (TM2YC FanFix)

DigModiFicaTion said:
What about adding the minutes where the pages are so it says something like 100 minutes of Thrills!

I was planning on doing that very thing :). The FE.org logo will be integrated in their too. I've sketched a few options for it but not finalised yet.

Here is another sequence with the grade complete (Superman off to stop the world engine). Apart from a little more audio mixing this is basically the same clip I uploaded 5 months ago (without the grading) so skip it if the grade doesn't interest. It's a quite different ordering of the scenes and mostly rescored with new audio.

(Password: fanedit.org)

- Green tint removed and saturation boosted where appropriate
- Blue shadow hue retained in some indoor scenes (because I like the look) but flesh tones have been fixed. Plus I like the visual contrast it adds when we cut to bright colourful Superman
- Superman's suit saturated obviously
- Massively de-saturated the Zod scene at the end and cooled down the warm greeny-yellow tint. I think that added to the visual confusion of where he was. Now it's hopefully instantly clear it's frozen Antarctica (or wherever the Kryptonian ship is, I forget).

The grading looks amazing, it is definitely another movie with that coloring.

The lovely FE.org logo reworked into the MOS title design...

36378208211_82063836ff_z.jpg

TM2YC said:
The lovely FE.org logo reworked into the MOS title design...

36378208211_82063836ff_z.jpg

Isn't this a Star Trek thread?

About the logo though, it looks quite nice! Where would you be putting it though? I would suggest replacing the 70 cents logo with it.

theryaney said:
Isn't this a Star Trek thread?

Yes it was. I'm an idiot. Posts moved to correct place.

theryaney said:
Where would you be putting it though? I would suggest replacing the 70 cents logo with it.

Yep, that's the plan.

Ah, I see. :) Absolutely beautiful grading BTW.

From a PM...

alshim72 said:
The most recent clip you posted is visually great but the music editing makes it obvious that the scene has been edited. The cross fade at 3:08 and the loop at 3:22. I don't know if there is any way to improve these audio edits, like do you need that shot of Superman there, because that would get you to the end of the plane sequence without the loop.

OR instead of the long chunk and then looping back one phrase at 3:22, what about just playing just the first phrase at 3:10 and then looping back at 3:15?

I did not want to critique on open forum, but just wanted to let you know that personally the video was great but stretching the hero theme in that way pulled me out of the moment.

Good luck with the rest of the edit.
I look forward to seeing you bring some HOPE to this film.

"critique on an open forum" is why I post the clips here :). I can take it, thanks for the detailed feedback.

The crossfade you refer to at around 03.08 has given me a lot of trouble but you can never be sure if you are over thinking these things. So I posted the clip to see if anybody else would notice. Since you did then I obviously need to work on it some more.

There is no music-loop or music-stretching anywhere near 03:22 (or anywhere in the edit) but I did trim away roughly 6 seconds of music at about that point. If you are hearing Zimmer's music as repetitive (even with my trim), then I can probably cut it some more and move around the earlier bad crossfade. Glad the other music edits in that clip went unnoticed ;) .

There is no music-loop or music-stretching anywhere near 03:22 (or anywhere in the edit) but I did trim away roughly 6 seconds of music at about that point. If you are hearing Zimmer's music as repetitive (even with my trim), then I can probably cut it some more and move around the earlier bad crossfade. Glad the other music edits in that clip went unnoticed ;) .

Ok, I pulled out the soundtrack to listen to it more closely.  To use musical terms... the hero them is a 4 measure phrase that essentially builds and repeats. It goes like this: measure 1 - pitch ascends to measure 2 - pitch ascends to measure 3 - pitch descends to measure 4 (same as measure 3) then repeat measure 1.  What makes the 3:22 edit sound strange to me is that it makes the phrase m1 - (up) m2 - (up) m3 - (down) m4 - (up) m3 - (down) m4 and it is never played that way anywhere else in the score. So if you can find those 6 more seconds to get back the beginning of the second phrase that would be great.

and yes, all the other music edits are great.

alshim72 said:
To use musical terms... the hero them is a 4 measure phrase that essentially builds and repeats. It goes like this: measure 1 - pitch ascends to measure 2 - pitch ascends to measure 3 - pitch descends to measure 4 (same as measure 3) then repeat measure 1.  What makes the 3:22 edit sound strange to me is that it makes the phrase m1 - (up) m2 - (up) m3 - (down) m4 - (up) m3 - (down) m4 and it is never played that way anywhere else in the score. So if you can find those 6 more seconds to get back the beginning of the second phrase that would be great.

This is like you saying that and what I understood of it :D ...

1b443a5b2bc92deec3b7cd319ca21c6e.jpg

Sorry. I know nothing of these "musical terms" of which you speak. My musician father, did not pass on the gene ;) . I'll have another go at this soon until it sounds right but don't ask me to explain why it sounds right.

TM2YC said:
alshim72 said:
To use musical terms... the hero them is a 4 measure phrase that essentially builds and repeats. It goes like this: measure 1 - pitch ascends to measure 2 - pitch ascends to measure 3 - pitch descends to measure 4 (same as measure 3) then repeat measure 1.  What makes the 3:22 edit sound strange to me is that it makes the phrase m1 - (up) m2 - (up) m3 - (down) m4 - (up) m3 - (down) m4 and it is never played that way anywhere else in the score. So if you can find those 6 more seconds to get back the beginning of the second phrase that would be great.

This is like you saying that and what I understood of it :D ...

1b443a5b2bc92deec3b7cd319ca21c6e.jpg

Sorry. I know nothing of these "musical terms" of which you speak. My musician father, did not pass on the gene ;) . I'll have another go at this soon until it sounds right but don't ask me to explain why it sounds right.

Sorry that was no help.

I've had another go at adjusting the mixing of the music in that scene. Here is just that bit and just my rescoring (No soundFX)...

(Password: fanedit.org)

It's sounding pretty seamless to my ears and that's without any soundFX mixed over the top.

It is definitely seamless. Well done.  Definitely an improvement over the last version.  Keep it going.

Canon Editor said:
Definitely an improvement over the last version.

Thanks for the feedback.

@"alshim72" Do you think this version sounds any better?

After much playing around with the various colour options for the title, this might be one of the final designs for the blu-ray cover (or even the main one)...

In all honesty, I think that should be the main cover :) seeing Henry Caville smiling as Superman is quite refreshing

What a fantastic cover.  I like it a lot.  I am very curious about the final edit!

Love the cover. I would use it for both the blu ray and main cover.

I'm down to the last 10-minutes of the grade now. The final act is a rapidly edited green-screen-fest (even in shortened form) so it's a bit of a slog to grade.

TM2YC said:
I'm down to the last 10-minutes of the grade now. The final act is a rapidly edited green-screen-fest (even in shortened form) so it's a bit of a slog to grade.

I don't doubt it, but we all know that you'll turn out something great at the end of it  ;) so take as much time as you need

Back
Top Bottom