• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Man of Steel: A Symbol of Hope (TM2YC FanFix)

TM2YC said:
MarcusMaximus29 said:
Amazing Work! I absolutely can't wait for this edit.

Thanks and wait no longer!

'Man of Steel: A Symbol of Hope' is now available in 3 formats (PM me if you are interested):

- MP4 (13.4 GB 1080p Stereo 448 AC3)
- MP4 (3.9 GB 720p Stereo 224 AAC)
- Blu-Ray with chapter selection menus (19.6 GB 1080p Stereo 448 AC3)

Up, up and away!

To quote the ifdb entry:

'Man of Steel: A Symbol of Hope' does not try to radically reshape MOS because I liked most of it already. I just wanted to tweak the character of Superman to make him feel more heroic. So if you hated everything about the original MOS, then this isn't the FanFix for you. There are several 10-minute chunks of this edit that are unchanged (aside from the regrade) but when I did change something, I hope it feels significant.

Hooray! Congratulations on finishing. I can't wait to watch this. I shall send you a PM

Oh good, it's up, congrats mate. :)

Sending PM.

Congratulations!  I cannot wait to have my computer back to watch it!

I was able to extract the file, but there was an error and no audio. Anyone else experiencing this?

Sent you your edit's first review. Hope you like it :)

Zarius said:

Wow, that was quick. Thanks for taking the time.

TM2YC said:
Zarius said:

Wow, that was quick. Thanks for taking the time.

I've watched the original film several times (sometimes when practicing edits), and am quite familiar with it already, so it was just a case of following the changes you listed on and looking out for them.  :)

Excellent, congratulations, I am sending the PM

TM2YC said:
MarcusMaximus29 said:
Amazing Work! I absolutely can't wait for this edit.

Thanks and wait no longer!

'Man of Steel: A Symbol of Hope' is now available in 3 formats (PM me if you are interested):

- MP4 (13.4 GB 1080p Stereo 448 AC3)
- MP4 (3.9 GB 720p Stereo 224 AAC)
- Blu-Ray with chapter selection menus (19.6 GB 1080p Stereo 448 AC3)

Up, up and away!

To quote the ifdb entry:

'Man of Steel: A Symbol of Hope' does not try to radically reshape MOS because I liked most of it already. I just wanted to tweak the character of Superman to make him feel more heroic. So if you hated everything about the original MOS, then this isn't the FanFix for you. There are several 10-minute chunks of this edit that are unchanged (aside from the regrade) but when I did change something, I hope it feels significant.

Fantastic - this for me is highly anticipated. If Man of Steel needed something it was a complete regrade and finally i can watch the film with my kids....oh and the artwork is simply a thing of beauty...im off to get me a black amaray.

I've been quite surprised with how popular this has been so far (more requests for this in one week, than many of my edits have ever had :D ) and big thanks for the time people have taken to review it.

Several people have commented that they particularly enjoyed the new onscreen titles during the Pod sequence, which actually surprised me. It's quite a small visual change but seems to have had some impact. Interesting feedback for future edits. The grade seems to have gone down well too. I'm pleased, as I spent waaaaay more time on the grade than I originally planned a year ago.

A few points of discussion if I may...

ibarrowman said:
There is a slight blip at (53:36) where Clark says "I'll go get him" and repeats the latter half of his sentence

This was in the original movie. Cavill quickly says "I'll get him. I'll get him".

ibarrowman said:
The insertion of the "Heros theme" became slightly tedious and after hearing it a few times I found myself annoyed by it.

I did worry that I'd over done that aspect and expected a few people to feel that way. Maybe I should have dropped a couple of the uses (Jor-El perhaps?) but I thought, hell you might as well change things in a fanedit! :D. If I could only have hired Hans Zimmer to score 5 different arrangements of his theme.

Zamros said:
Clark's "I let my father die because he believed..." no longer makes sense as he doesn't really "let him die" in this version.

It does still make sense (just) as in "I let x, y and z happen because I didn't act, when I should have, sooner". In the original Clark is shown standing there deliberately watching his father die, in this cut, I'd hoped it was clear that he was maybe going to act but it all happened so fast, before he could decide. It's not an ideal line, you are correct but there wasn't much to work with.

Zamros said:
While you've cut down nicely on the Smallville Product Placement fest, the "Oh yeah, he works at the iHop" was a bit distracting, especially as it's the only real line of dialogue (not read by Lois) in that sequence.

Removing Product Placement wasn't a goal of the edit, or a reason for me cutting down the Smallville fight (It was too damn destructive and long). PP is only a problem for me if it interrupts the story in some way. I didn't even know what an iHop is, or that it was a brand of something until you said.

Zamros said:
"They say it's all downhill after the first kiss" ...uch, wtf even is this line. I've been wracking my brain for 4 years trying to figure it out, but it's just nonsense, as is Clark's response. Personal preference, but I'd like to see this go. The kiss can stay, but the shitty dialogue, uch..

I really liked that line.

Zamros said:
Krypton had its chance" is very unbecoming of a Symbol of Hope. I think General Zod should say "Stop! If you destroy this ship, you des-" which is cut off by Clark's lazer vision. I should empathise with Zod in the final fight, not sympathise with him.

I agree, it's far from ideal but I did cut that scene down some. In the original, Superman has a longer think before he lasers the ship.

Zamros said:
Very nice toning down of the destruction. I'll have to rewatch, but did you include the Wayne Tower collapse to maintain continuity with BvS?

Nothing from BvS was added to this edit. I just added the Daily Planet shot from an advert for BvS/Turkish Airlines. It was suggested that the Kryptonite scene be added as a post credit sequence but I ultimately decided against it (just).

After finally watching this (A HUGE FAN OF, BTW), I cannot wait to see what you do with Batman v Superman.  Your ideas in the other thread sound interesting and I'm hoping your version will fit in nicely with Justice League.  Here's also hoping for a lot of deleted scenes or an extended cut.

Workshed said:
After finally watching this (A HUGE FAN OF, BTW), I cannot wait to see what you do with Batman v Superman.  Your ideas in the other thread sound interesting and I'm hoping your version will fit in nicely with Justice League.  Here's also hoping for a lot of deleted scenes or an extended cut.

Thanks for the thoughts (and thanks to other people who have posted reviews recently) :) . I wouldn't hold your breath for a BvS follow-up edit from me. As Cavill's Superman is unfixable in BvS (because he doesn't act like Superman for even one frame) it's very difficult to make something that would satisfy me.

TM2YC said:
Workshed said:

Thanks for the thoughts (and thanks to other people who have posted reviews recently) :) . I wouldn't hold your breath for a BvS follow-up edit from me. As Cavill's Superman is unfixable in BvS (because he doesn't act like Superman for even one frame) it's very difficult to make something that would satisfy me.

That's too bad. I thought your thoughts of having the story basically be told through Batman's perspective was an inspired one. I also wonder if you could work around Bruce being the one paying to find the Kryptonite and not Luthor.  You could make Luthor already working on the Kryptonian ship and then skip past most of his interactions with the Senators trying to get clearance.  Having him secretly accessing archives on the ship as opposed to somehow figuring out Superman's identity because of reasons would have made sense.

Also, by cutting out Luthor's involvement with Kryptonite, you get rid of the weird murder Batman explosion fest and Luthor plays his hand less obviously.

At the very least, your version would actually have some color in it!

TM2YC said:

Don't know if you have seen HISHE's review of Justice League. He gives a decent fix option for BvS that might be able to save the movie. It would be hard to pull off, but if anyone could do it, it's you. It almost tempted me to go buy the movie and try it out myself.

TM2YC said:
Workshed said:

That's a shame, since I now consider 'A Symbol of Hope' the definitive way to watch Man of Steel.

Have you considered editing Wonder Woman at all? I think most people agree that it's a pretty great movie as is, but there are still some bits that I feel could benefit from an editor's touch, and I'd like to see you tackle it with the same sensibilities you did Man of Steel.

octoroxx said:
Have you considered editing Wonder Woman at all? I think most people agree that it's a pretty great movie as is, but there are still some bits that I feel could benefit from an editor's touch, and I'd like to see you tackle it with the same sensibilities you did Man of Steel.

Sorry to disappoint again but I won't be doing a 'Wonder Woman' edit. I love almost all of it and here is nothing in that I dislike enough to bother making an edit. I'm not sure about deploying the "same sensibilities" anyway. My goal was to make Superman's characterisation a little better but WW's characterisation is already spot on.

A few thoughts anyway since you asked...

If I had some major FX skills I'd tweak the final battle so you couldn't see the face beneath the armour (just glowing white light like the comic) as I felt it looked quite awkward. The opening section prior to Steve arriving (and the plot kicking into gear) drags a little on a second viewing (but it's all important exposition). It's be nice to see the brief sections of deleted material put back because when a film is good... more is more! I'd be also be interested to see a version without the bookends. These are all minor nitpicks.

(Further discussion of WW should be moved to the WW thread.)

I have faith that you can do it, please dont give up on the idea.

TM2YC said:
Workshed said:

Wow, got to screen the current version and I am blown away. I am humbled and laugh at my attempt.

TM2YC recommended comments here, although I feel they are personal nitpicks over anything else. I would not want to mess with anything major as this thread has already discussed most of my personal tastes. I think mostly I noticed the music changes the most as feeling a little out of place in areas. Like the removal of the Chris Cornell song, I get the idea but the heavy intense replacement felt a little odd. I have also been working on my own edit for the last 6 months (in vain) and am probably too close to the material, so I don't know if I should be judging.

Overall, this is amazing and fixed a lot that is wrong in the original - Superman feels MORE like Superman. Nicely done, thanks for the chance to watch.

And I for one hope you attempt BvS. You have already started by establishing Superman in such a better light, there may be a way!!!

All the people watching this edit and all the positive reviews have been great to hear  :) (glad the re-grade has gone down so well) but a lot of reviews have mentioned that the bombastic Hero theme felt overused.  So I'm considering preparing an alternate audio mix that addresses this problem for those people. It would have the following two differences to the audio (video would be the same):

- Hero theme removed for Jor-El's stealing of the Codex. The original audio would play unaltered.
- Hero theme removed for Superman destroying the Kryptonian ship and kissing Lois. It would be mostly the original audio but with a taste of the low-key piano hero theme mixed in.

The theme would still play in this mix for: Superman flying for the first time, Superman rescuing Lois from the escape pod and Superman flying off to fight the world-engine. For a total of three occurrences, instead of five (plus end credits).

Here is the new alternate mix of the Superman/Lois kiss...

...and as it currently plays in the fanedit (for comparison)...

(Passwords: fanedit.org)

I'm not sure if I'd just release this an audio stream that people could mux into their existing copies, or as a new version. Any thoughts?

Back
Top Bottom