• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Vote now in wave 1 of the FEOTM Reboot!

Lost Redux

killbillme said:
[spoiler:buuqe16y]I would not be surprise of a looping ending. Stephen King's most popular series THE DARK TOWER has one and you know what big fans of SK the producers of LOST are.[/spoiler:buuqe16y]

I've been thinking this for years. The creators are big fans of [spoiler:buuqe16y]DT[/spoiler:buuqe16y] so it wouldn't surprise me in the least if they tried something like this.

I think LOST is magic. and as with all magic, once it's explained, it loses its glow.
Personally i would not like the island explained at all. I fear any attempt would sound like StarTrek-technobabble
Also the focus has shifted. No-one on the island wants to have anything explained. They want to stop either TMIB or Widmore.
Remember STAR WARS? The OT? They mentioned the Clone Wars and from then on fans wanted to see what happened, wanted to see Vader's fall.
And then George Lucas made it happen And hundreds of fanedits later, fans are still trying to fix that folly.
Sometimes it's better not knowing.

i must admit that those were truly wise words and almost exactly how i feel about that show.

sometimes, when i´m in the mood for chastising myself i read the review for the last lost episode on tv.com and go the comment section just to see how many people are not as happy with this jewel of entertainment culture as i am. and then i feel sorry for them. but i still feel good...

:)

J.J. Abrahms made this nice talk about a mystery box that is more interesting to him because he doesn't know what's in it

[youtube:31p1v4e5]

Right now I'm really excited for the following episode: Mib and Jacob, the fate of the series is more or less pending on this episode if we don't get a decent outline of what the series is about in that episode then i have little to no hopes for the finale.

I have repeatedly complained about not getting enough answers, but i kinda see why some people don't want everything to be solved, yet this doesn't mean that we should be content with mib/widmore when we have no plan what they want or what they are protecting.
Dark Tower was mentioned by some people and i think it is a great example of a good, satisfying (more or less) ending while still giving us a lot of freedom for interpretation.

as i see it there are two ways of "mysteies"

1) the planned, deliberately withheld mysteries: here the author has a definitive plan, but he doesn't reveal everything, he lets us fill in the gaps.
a prime example would be 2001 where Kubrick knew exactly what he was doing but refused to give his own interpretations, another example would be the matrix series (I know a lot of people will disagree but to me reloaded and revolutions are so interesting because i have to discover the meaning for myself) - those mysteries only work when there is a clear plan behind the story so that when you start interpreting the monolith in 2001 there are hints that either strengthen your theory or destroy it

2) the "we make it up as we go along" story: it's what i currently fear that it's happening with lost. if they decide to "keep the mystery" as it currently is then the series will be written of as a good concept that literally lost it's way and ended up at a battle after some seasons, right now there is no real theory that is coherent with the story that I've found so it's up to the writers to reveal the vital points to us - if they don't we won't be able to interpret the rest of the story and it will be "that mystery show that contracticted itself and made up new mysteries without providing any solution"

two words about this episode:

FUCK YEAH!

[spoiler:24xjlnfz]finally some perspective, there might be a real resolution to this... also men in black isn't inherently evil and jacob isn't just good, so thankfully they didn't go the good/evil round that much.

one thing that bothers me: adam and eve, how can jack say they are about 50 years old when they were burried many hundreds years before? At first I thought the writers put adam and eve into the first episodes to have something to say "see we had everything planned" but now it seems like adam and eve have become the evidence that this whole jacob thing wasn't lost's original intention[/spoiler:24xjlnfz]

Sunarep said:
[spoiler:3pqxrw44]one thing that bothers me: adam and eve, how can jack say they are about 50 years old when they were burried many hundreds years before? At first I thought the writers put adam and eve into the first episodes to have something to say "see we had everything planned" but now it seems like adam and eve have become the evidence that this whole jacob thing wasn't lost's original intention[/spoiler:3pqxrw44]

I don't remember Jack every saying that they were fifty years old, but if he did I have two answers:

[spoiler:3pqxrw44]a.) Jack is a surgeon and not an anthropologist so how does he know how to age bones?
b.) Things work differently on the island so it's possible the corpses have aged slower (also consider the bodies weren't outside so it's possible the elements couldn't affect them as much)[/spoiler:3pqxrw44]

But it was a very good episode!

he said it, they just cut out that line in the flashback at the end of this episode

sure there can be some retconning, after all we have:

magic, smokemonster, magic light, jacob, magic island, but still it's a little annyoing

wow... the episode seems to get serious flack from a lot of people... some rate it even worse than "what kate does" from that episode

seriously is there any justification for kate still being on the show and not getting dragged into the whole with the light to die a painful death?

[spoiler:m7n4s87e]one thing that bothers me: adam and eve, how can jack say they are about 50 years old when they were burried many hundreds years before?[/spoiler:m7n4s87e]

[spoiler:m7n4s87e]LOL! ok so they can travel in time, move an island in space, have different alternate universes, see and talk to the dead, have a sentient gaseous creature, teleport to other parts of the world and stop guns from shooting and dynamite from exploding and that's what bothers you?[/spoiler:m7n4s87e]
really great episode. love it how they manage to keep turning our expectations.
don't get too confident about it, i bet they manage to do it again a few more times.
who was it that said "nothing on this island is what it seems" or did i imagine that?

yeah for some reason it really bothers me :smile:

adam and eve were set up to be the proof for a masterplan and shouldn't need a postfanbugfix

Sunarep said:
seriously is there any justification for kate still being on the show and not getting dragged into the whole with the light to die a painful death?

shes the [small] T&A
I cant stand her mousy lookin ass, but I presume thats why shes still here.

I liked this episode alot. and I hated the Jacob/MIB subplot since day one.

Sunarep said:
two words about this episode:

FUCK YEAH!
Funny... I kinda had the exact opposite reaction:
:-o

[spoiler:cfkkbjgu]- So in the end, NOBODY has any true answers behind the Island: not Ben Linus, not Richard, not Widmore, not even Jacob himself knew them. It's possible that Mother did know, but judging from the way she behaved like every other Other leader (through lies and half-truths), my guess is she knew as little as they did and was going along with it just like Jacob and the Others did: because they were TOLD they had to.

-Wait a damn minute.... I thought that the purpose of protecting the Island was to keep the Darkness (Smoke Monster, MIB, whatever) apart from the rest of the world, to prevent it from destroying the world and possibly all of existence (after all, that's what Jacob told Richard not 5 episodes ago!). Now it's not true or Jacob lied about it??? Now protecting the Island means guarding a huge light in a underground cave containing the Source of Life/Death/Rebirth/Good/Evil/etc from the greedy, evil urges of Man?!
Damn, I guess Neo didn't have to go to the Machine City to find the Source.... he just had to hop on Oceanic 815 and head to the Island. :roll:

- No explantation or revelations regarding the various Egyptian motifs and architecture shown throughout the series? The Temple?? The Taweret statue where Jacob resided??? So then I'm gonna assume that they came long after Jacob became the guardian and the People in this episode are much older than the Egyptian culture that came after it.

- How did Brother know about the Wheel and it's affect on the Light? Was someone TELLING him how to do these things, instructing him on how to leave the Island? (his mother's ghost, other ghosts, possibly the real MIB posing as his mother?)

- If the Well and Wheel got destroyed and buried before they could be finished, then how did it get completed later? Did Jacob do it? MIB? Other men that came to the Island?

- If Jacob and Brother were to never leave the Island, then why and how has Jacob been able to on countless occasions? (Brother's wheel, perhaps?)

- Evidently, Mother lied or exagerated when she said that she made it that Jacob and Brother can't hurt one another, cause twice in this episode Jacob beat the sh*t out of Brother and then proceeded to "kill" him.

- Speaking of Brother's "death".... did Brother become the Smoke Monster or did the Smoke Monster take Brother's soul/form, just as he did with Locke? I mean, MIB has shown to have Brother's memories when he talked with Sawyer and Kate, so you'd think that Brother became Smoke Monster/MIB when he touched the Source. But then again, he also has been shown to have Locke's memories as well as other dead people's memories, so even that issue is suspect. Also, MIB has been seeing the "ghosts" of both young Jacob and Brother throughout Season 6, so you have to wonder why he'd be seeing a ghost of himself (unless the writers are taking a cue from George Lucas's "replacing Anakin's ghost in special edition RotJ" BS and saying that the boy ghost is supose to be his "good side"...).

- With nearly 3 hours left, they better have a damn good explanation behind the Sideways reality, cause now more than ever it's looking absolutely pointless to the overall story of Lost.

- Like others, I am calling bullsh*t on the "Adam and Eve" reveal because yes, it's a big ret-con over the information given about them by Jack in Season 1. This backstory is suppose to occur hundreds, if not even thousands, of years before the present time - those skeletons and their clothing would be FAR more decayed than what Jack found them to be in "House of the Rising Sun" (No matter how much mystical, mysterious 'magic' the writers attibute to being the Island's doing...).

- The flashback to Season 1 with Jack, Kate, and Locke discovering the skeletons was totally unnecessary and kinda smacked of writer insecurities, like they thought that their audience would be too stupid to figure out that Mother and Brother were the skeletons of Adam and Eve.... I'd think that the writers would've figured out by now that Lost's audience are quite the anal-retentive bunch who can rememeber all the details of this show like the back of their hand. :p[/spoiler:cfkkbjgu]
This should have been like the second or third episode of Season 6 - NOT the third to last episode of the freaking series. I'm not opposed to keeping some mysteries of the series unanswered, I don't mind that at all, but at this stage of the game, you don't answer a question by asking 4-5 more questions that'll never get answered! :x

God, now I'm really am nervious for next week's final episodes...

Listen to the official LOST podcast with Executive Producers Damon Lindelof & Carlton Cuse.
Best part is when Cuse mentions that for those that want the rules explained "for those of you that need to see that scene, please rent THE MATRIX RELOADED and watch the scene between Neo and the Architect. And when you watch that scene you will understand why we didn't put it in LOST"
good point. :)

I'm less nervous now than I've ever been. It's all falling into place. Strike that, "all" would be pushing it. "Enough" is falling into place, enough to make figuring out/speculating on the rest worthwhile. Obviously, people disagree about this. Personally I think more than enough has been explained already, including some I thought should have never have been touched, like the whispers. We were given loads of answers and info this last episode, only a lot of it came veiled and in metaphors.

Now I only need a couple of more explanations:
-Widmore's plan, and how Desmond fits into it. (essential)
-A resolution and/or end to the flash-sideways reality. (essential)
-How the two above-mentioned affect each other. (essential)
-Who Widmore's 1954 group actually were, where they came from, and how they met Ricardo. (optional, but would be cool)

The sideways reality makes a lot of sense already (after the Desmond episode), and will make more sense. I think after seeing "The Candidate" that I have an even clearer idea of what Lindelof and Cuse's masterplan with it really is, but I'm only guessing. Excited to see how Des, Daniel and Eloise fit into it. I'm not seriously doubting that there is a resolution to such an insane plot. (Doubting its quality is another thing, but it IS going somewhere, that's beyond doubt at this point.) Not even Lindelof and Cuse are in a position to make 18 episodes without presenting a proper gameplan to the network execs.

And,
[spoiler:23wojyk8]about the brothers not being able to hurt each other. I'm pretty sure she was lying (as she obviously was about a lot of things). I believe the nature of the Rule is that the Light from the Source (which the Brother turns into the evil, smoky embodiment of) simply can't touch a Guardian of the Source - i.e. Jacob. Thus, the Rule doesn't even exist until after Jacob takes a sip of the wine. When Jacob starts appointing Candidates, the Light/Smoke can't touch them either, as the Light can't stop a potential Guardian.[/spoiler:23wojyk8]

The clue to all this discussion is What do people really want from Lost? A clear and definitive answer to what the Island is? I think that was pretty much vetoed out years ago by the creators. This is as close as we're likely to get.

[spoiler:23wojyk8]I thought that the purpose of protecting the Island was to keep the Darkness (Smoke Monster, MIB, whatever) apart from the rest of the world, to prevent it from destroying the world and possibly all of existence (after all, that's what Jacob told Richard not 5 episodes ago!). Now it's not true or Jacob lied about it??? Now protecting the Island means guarding a huge light in a underground cave containing the Source of Life/Death/Rebirth/Good/Evil/etc from the greedy, evil urges of Man?![/spoiler:23wojyk8]
I fail to see how these are mutually exclusive.

"for those of you that need to see that scene, please rent THE MATRIX RELOADED and watch the scene between Neo and the Architect. And when you watch that scene you will understand why we didn't put it in LOST"
LOL! That's good.

JasonN said:
Funny... I kinda had the exact opposite reaction:
:-o

[spoiler:26ngrh16]- So in the end, NOBODY has any true answers behind the Island: not Ben Linus, not Richard, not Widmore, not even Jacob himself knew them. It's possible that Mother did know, but judging from the way she behaved like every other Other leader (through lies and half-truths), my guess is she knew as little as they did and was going along with it just like Jacob and the Others did: because they were TOLD they had to.

-Wait a damn minute.... I thought that the purpose of protecting the Island was to keep the Darkness (Smoke Monster, MIB, whatever) apart from the rest of the world, to prevent it from destroying the world and possibly all of existence (after all, that's what Jacob told Richard not 5 episodes ago!). Now it's not true or Jacob lied about it??? Now protecting the Island means guarding a huge light in a underground cave containing the Source of Life/Death/Rebirth/Good/Evil/etc from the greedy, evil urges of Man?!
Damn, I guess Neo didn't have to go to the Machine City to find the Source.... he just had to hop on Oceanic 815 and head to the Island. :roll:

- No explantation or revelations regarding the various Egyptian motifs and architecture shown throughout the series? The Temple?? The Taweret statue where Jacob resided??? So then I'm gonna assume that they came long after Jacob became the guardian and the People in this episode are much older than the Egyptian culture that came after it.

- How did Brother know about the Wheel and it's affect on the Light? Was someone TELLING him how to do these things, instructing him on how to leave the Island? (his mother's ghost, other ghosts, possibly the real MIB posing as his mother?)

- If the Well and Wheel got destroyed and buried before they could be finished, then how did it get completed later? Did Jacob do it? MIB? Other men that came to the Island?

- If Jacob and Brother were to never leave the Island, then why and how has Jacob been able to on countless occasions? (Brother's wheel, perhaps?)

- Evidently, Mother lied or exagerated when she said that she made it that Jacob and Brother can't hurt one another, cause twice in this episode Jacob beat the sh*t out of Brother and then proceeded to "kill" him.

- Speaking of Brother's "death".... did Brother become the Smoke Monster or did the Smoke Monster take Brother's soul/form, just as he did with Locke? I mean, MIB has shown to have Brother's memories when he talked with Sawyer and Kate, so you'd think that Brother became Smoke Monster/MIB when he touched the Source. But then again, he also has been shown to have Locke's memories as well as other dead people's memories, so even that issue is suspect. Also, MIB has been seeing the "ghosts" of both young Jacob and Brother throughout Season 6, so you have to wonder why he'd be seeing a ghost of himself (unless the writers are taking a cue from George Lucas's "replacing Anakin's ghost in special edition RotJ" BS and saying that the boy ghost is supose to be his "good side"...).

- With nearly 3 hours left, they better have a damn good explanation behind the Sideways reality, cause now more than ever it's looking absolutely pointless to the overall story of Lost.

- Like others, I am calling bullsh*t on the "Adam and Eve" reveal because yes, it's a big ret-con over the information given about them by Jack in Season 1. This backstory is suppose to occur hundreds, if not even thousands, of years before the present time - those skeletons and their clothing would be FAR more decayed than what Jack found them to be in "House of the Rising Sun" (No matter how much mystical, mysterious 'magic' the writers attibute to being the Island's doing...).

- The flashback to Season 1 with Jack, Kate, and Locke discovering the skeletons was totally unnecessary and kinda smacked of writer insecurities, like they thought that their audience would be too stupid to figure out that Mother and Brother were the skeletons of Adam and Eve.... I'd think that the writers would've figured out by now that Lost's audience are quite the anal-retentive bunch who can rememeber all the details of this show like the back of their hand. :p[/spoiler:26ngrh16]
This should have been like the second or third episode of Season 6 - NOT the third to last episode of the freaking series. I'm not opposed to keeping some mysteries of the series unanswered, I don't mind that at all, but at this stage of the game, you don't answer a question by asking 4-5 more questions that'll never get answered! :x

God, now I'm really am nervious for next week's final episodes...
I agree with JasonN about this episode. It creates more questions then it gives answers. I had expected a lot more answers coming in this episode, but it did disappoint me.

I'd like to add 2 more things:
[spoiler:26ngrh16]- I'm glad that MIB wasn't 100% evil and Jacob was 100% good. I can see the motives of both people. Why didn't mother let MIB just leave the island?
Why did Jacob toss MIB into the light? Because he was angry that he killed his mother or that MIB wanted that light to use for itself and Jacob had to protect it? I guess Jacob's brother is dead and that the darkness has taken his form and memories. It's not Jacob's brother Jacob is battling, is a greater evil that was locked in the cave (Lucifer in the abyss) and got free once a human entered it.

- The thing about Jacob in this episode is that he acts and looks like a moron. In the season 5 finale he looked like a wise man and very likable. Here he walks around like a kid doing everything his mother tells him to do, even though he knows she has lied about a lot of important things.[/spoiler:26ngrh16]

We need more answers like Widmore and his plans, the war, Desmond, why the purge?

killbillme said:
Listen to the official LOST podcast with Executive Producers Damon Lindelof & Carlton Cuse.
Best part is when Cuse mentions that for those that want the rules explained "for those of you that need to see that scene, please rent THE MATRIX RELOADED and watch the scene between Neo and the Architect. And when you watch that scene you will understand why we didn't put it in LOST"
Yeah, but when you consider the fact that absolutely NOTHING that the Architect said had any importance or significance to the story of The Matrix the minute that The Matrix Revolutions started (and at times were completely contradicted by that film's plot), then that's a pretty stupid reason as to why they can't bother to explain sh*t in Lost. :|

About the Purge: I'm 99 percent sure we will never know more about why the Purge took place than we know already. On the Truce document signed by Richard and Horace, there is a clause saying that Dharma presence will be tolerated by the "indigenous island inhabitants" for no more than 15 years. In 1992, the year of the Purge, they had outstayed their welcome with several years. Something probably happened that made Richard and Charles Widmore take action, possibly other violations of the Truce. Also, note that all drilling deeper than ten metres into the ground - regardless of territory - is a direct violation. Meaning, Dharma violated the truce on several counts in 1977, and probably continued to do so.

What more do you need? I'm perfectly happy with it as it stands.

JasonN said:
killbillme said:
Yeah, but when you consider the fact that absolutely NOTHING that the Architect said had any importance or significance to the story of The Matrix the minute that The Matrix Revolutions started (and at times were completely contradicted by that film's plot), then that's a pretty stupid reason as to why they can't bother to explain sh*t in Lost. :|

not to start a fanboy war but i strongly disagree that revolutions contradicted anything from reloaded or matrix

T-HOPE said:
The thing about Jacob in this episode is that he acts and looks like a moron. In the season 5 finale he looked like a wise man and very likable. Here he walks around like a kid doing everything his mother tells him to do, even though he knows she has lied about a lot of important things.

Consider this: in season 5 finale Jacob was much older and wiser. In last nights episode he still was essentially a kid. He'd never left his mother and hadn't had to live on his own yet.

Also, who knows how many years it'd been between last nights episode and season 5 finale? In last nights episode they were speaking Latin. I'm not sure how long Latin has been a dead language but that might clue us in on how old Jacob and the MiB are.

[spoiler:2sntn3px]There's been speculation on the net that their biological mother Claudia may actually be Roman. Both from clothing, the fact that they speak Latin, and the allusion to Romulus and Remus (two other important brothers with a mother called Claudia). Meaning that Jacob is between 1500-2000 years old when the Black Rock arrives.

I buy a change in personality. (And, for the record, I bought Ricardo's change in personality too, and he was only 140 years older than last time.)[/spoiler:2sntn3px]

[spoiler:30ae7h23]- So in the end, NOBODY has any true answers behind the Island: not Ben Linus, not Richard, not Widmore, not even Jacob himself knew them. It's possible that Mother did know, but judging from the way she behaved like every other Other leader (through lies and half-truths), my guess is she knew as little as they did and was going along with it just like Jacob and the Others did: because they were TOLD they had to.

well i never thought that we would get a real explanation what the island is, i guess it will go the route "you have to experience the island and judge for yourself" but there should be some structure why the light is important. Stephen King never explains what the Dark Tower is, but we know it's function so we can ponder for the rest of our lives over the meaning of it

i guess the smoke monster won't be the ultimate "evil" or something but instead something deep within the island that manifests itself as smokey and manipulates mib and all the losties, i really think this light isn't a blessing but i am seriously intrigued to find out a little more - if the explanation remains "light" it will be a copout

wondered that myself, the statue should be explained since it was there since season 2
since the temple was reveiled to be the home of speedracerninjas who for some reason know more about jacob than ben i couldn't care less if the temple isn't going to be explained - in my book the whole temple story doesn't exist in season 6

those people seem like the first dharma initiative, studying what they see and trying to controll it rationally - i am happy that they try "science" instead of some magic mumbo jumbo

probably other men, what bugs me more is the fact that the well to the wheel was drilled becasue sawyer held the rope in season 5

HAS to be explained, definately

if the brother is not affecting smokey's current action this episode was useless so it has to have some connection
the ghosts are the thing i hope they don't answer since no answer will be interesting or enlightening, it will be another awkward: "the whispers are souls who are stuck here aren't they?" moment

agreeeing sooo much on that. i start to wonder if they introduced those flash sideways because most of the "mysteries" were solved easily by fans after the incident so they created a whole new structure to give us a "final twist" . After incident, the whole smokey connection was clear, alpert being on the black rock too and we haven't learnt more that that this season (except maybe the candidates and some useless number "explanation")
even if the fs become great they just overdid it and stretched them beyond belief. Since Happily ever after we know how they can regain their memories so we are waiting for everyone to gather it in order for the story to move on.
it happens with hurley and then... nothing... just jack going around, locke crying, jack crying, quotes from season 2 and that's it

jep, like i said above i guess the writers introduced that twist because the initial twist was guessed by many after the room in season three revealed "bones of nadler lie in cave" or something and after season 5's finale where rose and bernard were more than useless in the past everyone assumed that adam and eve was clear it would even fit with the clothing the date and everything.... but because everyone guessed it i think they just made up a new story and tried to sell it as if it were planned from the beginning

- The flashback to Season 1 with Jack, Kate, and Locke discovering the skeletons was totally unnecessary and kinda smacked of writer insecurities, like they thought that their audience would be too stupid to figure out that Mother and Brother were the skeletons of Adam and Eve.... I'd think that the writers would've figured out by now that Lost's audience are quite the anal-retentive bunch who can rememeber all the details of this show like the back of their hand. :p

totally agreed, useless hammering over the head, not enough that hurley saw those sceletons in this season and talked about them, but it took away from jacob's moment and it reintroduced kate and reminded us how badly we want her to die

maybe it would have been better, the worst thing about season 6 is that at the beginning they tried to act as if there were really big mysteries but they were just useless mumbojumbo before the temple got killed[/spoiler:30ae7h23]

You know what I find sad?
That I find this fake Lost game commercial from Jimmy Kimmel Live! (and staring both Jacob and MIB) to be far more entertaining than the "Across the Sea" episode was: :p

[youtubewide:3mmq4xgi]

Back
Top Bottom