• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

JRR Tolkien's The Hobbit (Maple Films Edit)

Neosmith said:
I could be wrong. but wasn't is established that the Windlance was destroyed though? Maybe in the extended versions?

No, they never show anything related to the windlance after the end of DOS. So it's just left sort of open-ended as to what happened to it.

eldusto84 said:
Thanks! Yeah I think I'll dial the sparkly stuff down a hair for the final version, ha.

I loved the glittery shiny sparkly stuff - really put me in mind of an 80's fantasy movie! That is a very impressive menu that you have put together - I honestly haven't been paying much attention to Hobbit fan edits but I'm glad I decided to check out this thread :)

Love the Edit project Idea. I was waiting to a version of the hobbit were the film is split in half were Peter Jackson was originally planning to! Also I hope that you use Battle of the Five Armies Extended Edition as a base.
Because even if you cut stuff out to shorten the film the scenes you are left with have a better story to them.
ie the Ending scenes that were not in the Theatrical Version.

Keep up the good work love to see the finished edit!

Thanks, yes I am splitting the film with an Intermission, right at the point where Jackson would have split the Hobbit when it was still to films. It's the scene where Bard confronts the dwarves after the barrel chase. I've added a few scenes from the Battle of Five Armies EE too, such as Thorin's funeral, the scene with Bilbo/Bofur talking, and some extra battle footage (mostly stuff that features the dwarves).

After more than two years of work, I am very excited to have completed the final version of J.R.R. Tolkien’s The Hobbit. I won’t bore you with a specific cutlist here…if you want to read that you can visit my webpage for the details. Like many others, I wanted to see a version of The Hobbit that was closer to the spirit of Tolkien’s book. This is that film.

J.R.R. Tolkien’s The Hobbit has been created using only the highest-quality media available- full HD Bluray and 5.1 surround sound. Working with 5.1 has given me far more options for audio editing than a simple stereo track. Here’s just a sample of some of the work I’ve done on the film.

• A 532 minute trilogy cut to a single 247 minute film
  • Well over 600 actual edits and trims made
  • An Intermission splits the film in half, at the exact point where Peter Jackson originally intended to split the Hobbit when it was still two films
  • Overall, the film remains focused on Bilbo and the dwarves. Unnecessary subplots, characters, and CGI silliness have been jettisoned. That means no Tauriel.
  • Color corrected in several sequences to match LOTR’s visuals more.
  • Numerous digital alterations, including a new opening title, gold coating removed from Smaug, Radagast erased from an eagle flyover shot, etc.
  • Orc subtitles altered to explain plot adjustments
  • Several unused music cues by Howard Shore have been re-inserted in key scenes, including the famous Misty Mountains theme that was abandoned after AUJ.
  • Various scenes from the Extended Editions have also been added where needed. Yes, Thorin’s funeral is in here.

SO. If you’d like to watch this fan edit, I only ask that you legally own all three films in advance. It’s only fair to the copyright holders, regardless of how you feel about the original films.

Right now you can enjoy the HD digital copy of J.R.R. Tolkien’s The Hobbit, but in the next week or so you will be able choose from DVD or Bluray ISO files. They will both be 2-disc sets with custom artwork (available for free on my site). They will feature 5.1 digital surround sound, interactive menus, the whole shebang. Eventually I plan to add subtitles in multiple languages…several people have volunteered to help translate already! Finally, I’ll include Durin’s Folk and the Hill of Sorcery on the special features. It’s an hour-long film that follows the Dol Guldur subplot and how it ties into the dwarves’ backstory.

I’ve said it many times since I began working on this edit, but buried somewhere underneath the uneven, bloated Hobbit trilogy is a truly great film. For me at least, I have finally found that film. Hopefully you’ll think so too!

Congrats on finishing! I can't wait to check it out. :)

That sound really good, So I guess you went back and maybe added a few bits from the Battle of The Five Armies extended edition? I hope so as the chariot chase was good and the Elves and Dwarves fighting was also good, the latter actually being something that was in the book.

Im just wondering why the 5.1 audio file is separate?

lotrjjw said:
That sound really good, So I guess you went back and maybe added a few bits from the Battle of The Five Armies extended edition? I hope so as the chariot chase was good and the Elves and Dwarves fighting was also good, the latter actually being something that was in the book.

Im just wondering why the 5.1 audio file is separate?

Yes, I added a few bits from the BOFA EE. I decided to release the digital version in stereo because, let's face it, most people are going to download this onto their computer and play it through two speakers. I didn't want to add to the file size by adding a 5.1 stream, so if people want to mux it in themselves they can! BUT...the DVD/Bluray ISOs will include both :)

Well I think I will add in the 5.1 surround file back in as I stream it to my BluRay player using DLNA, so I will watch it on my TV anyway. I think I will wait regarding the BluRay until you have completed everything, as I dont want to find you have added something later.
I look forward to watching your finished work now.

lotrjjw said:
Well I think I will add in the 5.1 surround file back in as I stream it to my BluRay player using DLNA, so I will watch it on my TV anyway. I think I will wait regarding the BluRay until you have completed everything, as I dont want to find you have added something later.
I look forward to watching your finished work now.

I don't plan on changing any edits at this point, so the content will be the same. However, the Bluray version will look pristine compared to the moderately compressed digital file!

eldusto84 said:
I don't plan on changing any edits at this point, so the content will be the same.

It still needs to be approved by the FE Academy, so don't go deleting all your source files and project files!

Cool I just meant I will wait till you have the completed BluRay with everything you planned on it before I download it.
Oh and as far as MUXing the 5.1 soundtrack I found some software to do that and Im pleasantly surprised that it was all in sinc no issues ect when I tested it, I have demuxed and remuxed films myself in the past and found delays or the other way can creep in!
I guess maybe why I had issues myself before is because I was slowing down films that had been subject to PAL speedup though, I assume you were working from the original 23.976 BluRays so no slowdown or speedup issues!

Great ideas for your edit. I believe I watched a very early version of your edit some time ago. While this may be the go to version of the trilogy, I sure do wish the dwarves in the trees and eagle rescue remained. That is one of my favorite parts of the Hobbit. I instantly go back to being a child and hear "what funny little birds, they have no wings, oh what should we do with the funny little things?" sung by midget goblins :) Great work!

DigModiFicaTion said:
Great ideas for your edit. I believe I watched a very early version of your edit some time ago. While this may be the go to version of the trilogy, I sure do wish the dwarves in the trees and eagle rescue remained. That is one of my favorite parts of the Hobbit. I instantly go back to being a child and hear "what funny little birds, they have no wings, oh what should we do with the funny little things?" sung by midget goblins :) Great work!

Thanks, I actually re-inserted the eagle rescue for the final version. Many people were not happy that I originally kept that scene out, ha.

Awesome! I'll be adding it to my cue for sure. Thanks again for your fabulous work!

TV's Frink said:

Auto correct error...Noted.

GOa6foJ.png

:p

Great job with this edit, hope this gets approved soon. The vast majority of the cuts are seamless, and the color grading in AUJ now matches the other two. The mostly purist fits in nicely, ridding the film of most of Peter Jackson's quirks, and leaving in only the more appropriate expansions. And separating it at the original 2 split for the disc releases is a great idea for allowing a split up viewing.

emanswfan said:
Great job with this edit, hope this gets approved soon. The vast majority of the cuts are seamless, and the color grading in AUJ now matches the other two. The mostly purist fits in nicely, ridding the film of most of Peter Jackson's quirks, and leaving in only the more appropriate expansions. And separating it at the original 2 split for the disc releases is a great idea for allowing a split up viewing.

Thank you! I submitted the film maybe 3-4 weeks ago...do you know how long the approval process usually takes? This is my first time submitting a fan edit BTW.

Back
Top Bottom