• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

JRR Tolkien's The Hobbit (Maple Films Edit)

How do you mean? My brother watched it with me and suddenly made the remark about the gold so it seemed sensible to include it here.

@"eldusto84" talked about it in this thread. It's less gold looking now, but a total removal was difficult as he pointed out.

The actor might be good, but the character of Alfrid is a disgrace to the film, and is featured prominently enough in this edit. Everything he does is loathsome in the original movies, I say good riddance.

I agree about the ending with Bilbo, something felt off when I watched it, couldn't tell what. It's the music, would make sense.

HI Axxofan, thanks for your review of the edit. I have to say your review is unique in the fact that you're blind and couldn't actually watch what was occurring onscreen. So you have a very unique perspective, and certainly are more critical of the audio aspects of this fan edit, haha.

To respond to some of your main points, I cut some of the prologue because we didn't need to see Erebor before Bilbo and the dwarves do in the actual narrative. The audience should experience the quest alongside them. We also don't need to see Frodo, who does nothing but provide LOTR nostalgia while simultaneously stalling the proper start of the film.

Azog was always a tricky spot. I didn't like him at all, but was forced to include him because he ends up being the main antagonist. Many of his cut scenes, including the history between him and Thorin, is included in my side quest film Durins Folk and the Hill of Sorcery. I just didnt want Bilbos story to be dragged down by too many sideplots and flashbacks. 

As for your music quibbles, I admit some of the edits aren't perfect but I am happy with the final product. It was a lot of work putting this together and I'll certainly continue to support it via discussions and other means, but I don't plan on releasing another version. I made a rough version last year and asked for feedback from viewers, and I used that feedback to help craft the final version that is online now. Thanks again!

So it looks like this edit is on the shortlist for Fanedit of the Month! I'm really excited for the positive feedback this has been getting. Of course, if those of you reading this happened to enjoy J.R.R. Tolkien's The Hobbit, I'd encourage you to cast a vote :D

https://forums.fanedit.org/showthread.php?tid=14390

eldusto84 said:
So it looks like this edit is on the shortlist for Fanedit of the Month!

FYI the "shortlist" is defined as "everything released that month."

TVs Frink said:
eldusto84 said:
So it looks like this edit is on the shortlist for Fanedit of the Month!

FYI the "shortlist" is defined as "everything released that month."

Good to know. Regardless, it is still a short list and I'm happy to be on it ;)

I'm late to add this to the thread, but thanks to those of you who voted for JRR Tolkien's The Hobbit in this past month's "Fan Edit of the Month" contest! My first post on this edit was made over two years ago and I began working on it even earlier than that, so it means a lot to see that people have been enjoying this version of the Hobbit after all the work I put into it. Thanks again!

Wait, this doesn't use footage from extended versions? That's extremely disappointing.

Canzah said:
Wait, this doesn't use footage from extended versions? That's extremely disappointing.

That's a weird reaction. You sound like you've been looking for this edit for a long time but have been misinformed the entire time you were waiting. 

Considering the editor states on the first page of the thread that, no, he didn't plan on using extended editions, I find it difficult to imagine what caused you to be so extremely disappointed.

The information was given truthfully, openly, and up front. So what were you reading about instead?

Edit: I should add that this thread is years old, the edit was released some time ago, has gotten very nice reviews, and it just won FEOTM. And personally I haven't watched the edit, but if I were interested specifically in a shorter version of the Hobbit, I would consider the lack of extended edition material a plus.

Actually, this edit DOES in fact use scenes from the Extended Editions. I added some of the extra Rivendell scenes from AUJ, extra battle footage from BOFA, the lovely scene between Bilbo and Bofur, Thorin's funeral, and a few more. I think when I started this thread over two years ago, the EE's weren't on my radar since I figured the Hobbit was long enough and didn't need to have stuff added to the running time! But the scenes I mentioned help flesh the story and characters out better, and I think the fanedit is improved because of it.

This is a classic "well there you go" moment.

Well there you go!

addiesin said:
 I would consider the lack of extended edition material a plus.

There are important scenes in extended version such as Beorn in battle of five armies or Thorin's Funeral that should be included in the film.
Glad to know that this does have some EE scenes after all though.

eldusto84 said:
Very well, in Frink I trust lol. Here's the link to Durin's Folk and the Hill of Sorcery. Enjoy!

I only realized just now, after watching this fan edit, that the editor is a regular on these here boards. Actually, I started by searching for LOTR: The Battle of Dol Guldur, and thought, based on a hastily read reddit thread, that this Durin's Folk and the Hill of Sorcery was a revision of Dol Guldur.

Anyhow, I enjoyed this fan edit companion piece, but would still like to see the hobbit-free Dol Guldur, which has been zapped from its Vimeo home. If anyone knows where to find it, a PM would be much appreciated.   :)

These posts intrigued me so I started watching this tonight. I'm not sure I share the same praise. I thought the beginning was still too long. I thought there were some jarring cuts in Rivendell. And there are things that, narratively, come out of nowhere. One such instance is the Goblin King discussion of Azog. Without the cut flashback that whole exchange is out of place. I'm only a quarter brough the whole thing so maybe my opinions will improve.

In the extras of TBOTFA there's a scene in which Dwalin tries to fight his way to help Thorin before he dies. I thought that would add a special tone if added (dwarven loyalty, something we see in the first film but witness it die the more these movies became a CGI feast for Elves). It's just an idea, but from what it seems, your film is already incredible.

Greetings, Dustin!

I don't know if I missed any talk of this somewhere else, but do you intend to upgrade your edit with the new 4k releases (downscaled at least)?

It's not a stretch to say your take is one of (if not the most) acclaimed of these projects around, so it's only natural to envision it at max potential. Its fantastic anyways.

Cheers

Greetings, Dustin!

I don't know if I missed any talk of this somewhere else, but do you intend to upgrade your edit with the new 4k releases (downscaled at least)?

It's not a stretch to say your take is one of (if not the most) acclaimed of these projects around, so it's only natural to envision it at max potential. Its fantastic anyways.

Cheers
Hi there, I'm late to replying to this by over a year lol. But that should probably tell you that I don't have any plans to upgrade my edit in 4K. Doing so would require that I re-edit the entire trilogy from scratch and I simply do not have the time to do that, at least in the near future. Never say never though!

So I was recently notified of a website called "Showtown Apparel" that sells unofficially licensed clothing and bootleg movies on DVD/Blu-ray. Of particular interest to me is the fact that they are SELLING copies of two of my fanedits...JRR Tolkien's the Hobbit (aka the Maple Films Edit) and Finest Hour (my Dunkirk/Darkest Hour supercut).

Huh?

I'm so confused. Clearly it's not a legit site, as they are also selling bootleg copies of Hawkeye, Get Back, The Matrix Resurrections and a slew of other movies not actually available on home video. But beyond my own edits, they are also selling Harmy's Despecialized Editions of Star Wars, Kill Bill The Whole Bloody Affair by @TheMilkmanConspiracy, Star Wars Extended Editions by @Bobson Dugnutt and a number of others. What's more, they've gone and removed any credit to the original faneditors! Just look at the item descriptions and box art compared to what's listed here on Fanedit.org. They removed any mention of the faneditor completely.

Now, as flattered as I am that two of my fanedits have become popular enough to warrant some two-bit website selling them illegally, there's still the issue that there's a two-bit website selling them illegally. Is there something that should be done about this? I know that we as faneditors do not have any legal claim to these projects, but brazenly selling these works publicly hurts both the original copyright holders and the fanedit community.

Here's a link to the site...not sure if this is allowed: https://showtownapparel.com/search.php?page=1&section=product&search_query=fan+edit

So I was recently notified of a website called "Showtown Apparel" that sells unofficially licensed clothing and bootleg movies on DVD/Blu-ray. Of particular interest to me is the fact that they are SELLING copies of two of my fanedits...JRR Tolkien's the Hobbit (aka the Maple Films Edit) and Finest Hour (my Dunkirk/Darkest Hour supercut).
Complete scumbags. I've seen someone on Etsy selling a project I made so I messaged them accusing them of not only massively violating copyright laws but also stealing my work. Eventually the listing was removed. So if you can get in contact with them that should be enough to scare them into removing the listed fan edits. Looks like they have an email and a phone number on their page. I would even threaten to report them to the FBI - as I'm sure we all know, selling bootlegs of movies (regardless of being fan edited) is pretty terrible. I agree that it's not a good look but it's not your fault at all and you shouldn't have to deal with it, but I would definitely try to get it taken down.

Hi there, I'm late to replying to this by over a year lol. But that should probably tell you that I don't have any plans to upgrade my edit in 4K. Doing so would require that I re-edit the entire trilogy from scratch and I simply do not have the time to do that, at least in the near future. Never say never though!
Making the jump to 4k is also more work because you have to manually upscale or redo any custom made VFX in four times the amount of pixels. Plus the entire color grade of the trilogy changed which would need another look. With The Hobbit's already crisp digital look, I agree that I don't think it's worth all the effort. Have yet to see a 4k 4 hour Hobbit edit though so it would still be cool

Back
Top Bottom