• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

JRR Tolkien's The Hobbit (Maple Films Edit)

eldusto84 said:
Thank you! I submitted the film maybe 3-4 weeks ago...do you know how long the approval process usually takes? This is my first time submitting a fan edit BTW.
It varies. The admins still need to run the site and their own lives too! [emoji14] I downloaded this not too long ago and it looks great. I need to sit and watch the whole thing!

So has anyone seen this edit? Its amazing how much work has flown into this thing, the box art, and the whole menu is so well designed... Brilliant work Dustin!

i just didn't have time to watch the movie, but i would be interested in opinions how it compares to the Spence edit!

btw this is my first post. hello everybody! ;)

Galahaddulac said:
So has anyone seen this edit? Its amazing how much work has flown into this thing, the box art, and the whole menu is so well designed... Brilliant work Dustin!

i just didn't have time to watch the movie, but i would be interested in opinions how it compares to the Spence edit!

btw this is my first post. hello everybody! ;)

I've seen it. It is quite excellent. There are nit picky things here and there that I personally would have liked different, BUT the edit is superb. It's a different animal than Spence's cut as far as I remember. Both were good.

I got burnt out on Hobbit edits and haven't watched this one yet. At some point somebody mentioned making a comparison chart of the different versions, was that ever accomplished?

Don't think so. Believe me when I say it's a hell of a lot of work.

Wow a comparison chart for Hobbit fan edits! That would take some doing, how many are there now?

I thought they meant like a table showing the differences in what cuts are where ect, I have visited that page many times and it of course only has approved by fanedit.org edits.

lotrjjw said:
I thought they meant like a table showing the differences in what cuts are where ect, I have visited that page many times and it of course only has approved by fanedit.org edits.

That would be a formidable task, considering the amount of Hobbit edits out there. Many of them are pretty similar too, at least in terms of what's been cut and what's been left in. What would also help in comparing the edits would be the actual quality of them (technical proficiency, transitions, resolution, audio, etc). This would help viewers weed through some versions that may not have as much "polish" to them.

For example, the Tolkien Edit had a pretty good cut list but was horribly edited IMO. The transitions were bad, it was in SD, and the editor used a pirated DVD screener of BOFA for his source. But of course it's the most-viewed Hobbit fan edit out there, because it was the first one released.

lotrjjw said:
You asked how many Hobbit edits there are. If I were doing this, I would only include approved edits. With that said, you can easily search the forums for more.

eldusto84 said:
That would be a formidable task, considering the amount of Hobbit edits out there. Many of them are pretty similar too, at least in terms of what's been cut and what's been left in. What would also help in comparing the edits would be the actual quality of them (technical proficiency, transitions, resolution, audio, etc). This would help viewers weed through some versions that may not have as much "polish" to them.

For example, the Tolkien Edit had a pretty good cut list but was horribly edited IMO. The transitions were bad, it was in SD, and the editor used a pirated DVD screener of BOFA for his source. But of course it's the most-viewed Hobbit fan edit out there, because it was the first one released.
This is why we have the IFDb and the Academy.

I had proposed doing a Hobbit changes spreadsheet back when I had more free time. But I had hoped each editor would be willing to fill in the spreadsheet for their own edits. It didn't get a lot of traction so I dropped it.

This is why we have the IFDb and the Academy.
Completely agree that once IFDb is totally stocked with Hobbit edits, the differences will become apparent enough in the cut lists and reviews. The PT edits are a good example of how well that works.

By my count there are 3 complete trilogy edits (by the same editor) already up and at least 3 more on the way by editors who are actively discussing it in the forums - not counting all those "working in the shadows" and I think someone had discussed a stand alone BOFTA edit which would allow folks to use previously preferred standalones. By the time (hopefully) all these make it to IFDb and get reviewed, the differences should be apparent. Personally, I think there's room for at least one very book-ish edit and one more Jackson-y/action-y (Jactiony?) version in my library as the "definitive versions". Bonus points for incorporating the unused footage from the appendices.

The point of all this? I'm totally psyched for the wave of hobbit edits on the way (to join the ones already there) and am very thankful there are awesome editors and reviewers and the people who run this place.

This has taken quite a bit of time and effort from a lot of people around the world, but I now have a solid collection of subtitles for J.R.R. Tolkien's The Hobbit! They are available in multiple languages too. So far we have English, Spanish, French, Dutch, German, Finnish, Swedish, Portuguese, and Hebrew. I have not been able to test them for accuracy, but I'm hoping I can get feedback from viewers on any issues.

Now I am not sure how you can add subtitles to a video file, or to an ISO file. I know it can be done, but I have never done it. If someone here would like to offer some advice or link to a tutorial somewhere, that would be awesome.

Doing both have their different processes.

You can add subtitles to a DVD/Blu-ray disc, but only during the authoring process. In whatever authoring program you use (DVDlab, DVD Architect, TMPEG Authoring works, and so on) there should be an option near your video tracks to add a subtitle track. Just add as many tracks as you have (or the program allows...nine tracks is quite a few) then create the disc as normal. There is no way to add subtitles to an already authored disc.

For the regular video file, I recommend a program like HCenc. Load your video and audio, then add subtitles. I believe this allows for unlimited subtitle tracks, but I've never used it. Set your video and audio settings accordingly, and away you go. I've found HCenc to be rather twitchy, so before you output ANYTHING, make sure that you are not using your computer or that there are resource intensive background tasks running. I can't guarantee that this is what gave me the problems I had with some exports, but better safe than have to do it all again.

Guys, have you seen this fan edit of the Hobbit trilogy? Seriosly, its the best version of the hobbit movies out there. Im amazed that so few people know about it.

This is the link to the review. The quality of the fanedit is Blu-ray and the áudio is top notch. Please, those who can make a brazilian portuguese subtitle talk with me! Help spread the word and watch this version of the movie, you wont regret it!

[Link removed]

hamiltox said:
This is the link to the review. The quality of the fanedit is Blu-ray and the áudio is top notch. Please, those who can make a brazilian portuguese subtitle talk with me! Help spread the word and watch this version of the movie, you wont regret it!

How is this a review?

This has been submitted to the Academy for review. Please be patient as their is large backlog, we'll get to previewing it as soon as possible. There is also a glut of Hobbit edits to get through, so it might take extra time to get to this one.

Again, thanks for being patient and not threatening this site's community, or anything.

Edit approved by the academy ( @"jerick" ), so thread moved. We are just waiting on the editor to put this on ifdb. Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom