• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

JRR Tolkien's The Hobbit (Maple Films Edit)

Wow! I'm so excited to finally have this fan edit accepted into the IFDB by the academy! This was my first-ever fan edit and hoo boy did it take a lot of work. Thanks to everyone who has followed along this thread for the past 2+ years...it's nice to see an official recognition :D

...and thanks to @"jerick" as well.

Congrats on making it! :D

Just curious but did you completely cut the White Council scenes from Battle of the Five Armies (when Gandalf gets rescued)?

Because you don't list them in the changes for the 3rd movie ("EDITS FOR BATTLE OF FIVE ARMIES"), and I suspect they have been cut since you cut them from the 2 other movies. It's hard to rescue Gandalf in the 3rd movie scenes if he hasn't even been captured before from the 2nd movie scenes :p

Thanks! And yes, I did cut Gandalf's rescue because I never show him getting captured in the first place. I edited it to fit how Tolkien wrote it...Gandalf sees a vision at the edge of Mirkwood and leaves the company for a time. We don't see him again until just before the actual Battle of Five Armies, when he comes to warn Bard and Thranduil of the orc army approaching.

All of the White Council scenes are included in my side quest edit, Durin's Folk and the Hill of Sorcery however. I thought those scenes distracted too much from the main Hobbit storyline, but on their own they make for a pretty cool little film.

[font=Raleway, sans-serif] [/font]I thought those scenes distracted too much from the main Hobbit storyline, but on their own they make for a pretty cool little film.

They also make for a quite interesting prelude to Lord of the Rings (assuming someone watches your cut first)

So the Final Viewing Order would be 

1. JRR Tolkien's The Hobbit (Maple Films Edit)
  2. Durin's Folk and the Hill of Sorcery
  3. Lord of the Rings
Me gusta. A lot  :angel:

I really think these scenes aren't bad, they're just not relevant to the main story. Which is perfect for a , well, side story!

This is a question for the admins, but is there a way to rate and/or review the fan edit on IFDB? I've had some people tell me that they can't find a way to do so.

eldusto84 said:
This is a question for the admins, but is there a way to rate and/or review the fan edit on IFDB? I've had some people tell me that they can't find a way to do so.

I don't think it has been published yet, it will probably be up within the week.

jerick said:
I don't think it has been published yet, it will probably be up within the week.

It was there, I favorited it. It had over 1000 views. Then it disappeared.

Any idea what happened?

Daxtreme said:
It was there, I favorited it. It had over 1000 views. Then it disappeared.

Any idea what happened?

@"eldusto84" edited the ifdb listing so it went into moderation. It's back now.

Hey Eldusto, I just wanted to let you know that I really enjoyed this fanedit. It's my absolute favourite version of the hobbit so I made sure to leave a review too! Thanks a lot for all your hard work.

Miles00x said:
Hey Eldusto, I just wanted to let you know that I really enjoyed this fanedit. It's my absolute favourite version of the hobbit so I made sure to leave a review too! Thanks a lot for all your hard work.

Have you seen many versions to compare?

mchad14 said:
From now on, this is the definitive version of the Hobbit in my book, and I won't be watching or recommending any others.

Sad. Although this edit is very good, I wouldn't write off all the others that are or will be.

Hey Eldusto, I just watched the first part of your fan edit and just thought I'd write down some observations. First, I should tell you that I'm blind so I can't go into a review of the visual aspect, but the person who watched it with me told me the editing looked pretty professional, he didn't even realise where cuts were made.

Story-wise, I think this first part was most definitely a vast improvement. Everything goes so much faster, everything's so much more exciting! A long time ago, someone told me this trilogy was both horrible and full of potential. I didn't believe that last part, but thanks to your edit, I do now. You genuinely feel as if you're watching a film about a quest/adventure and not about... well, whatever impression the original trilogy left me with. Two things I didn't really like, however: the omission of the prologue and the Azog introduction. Yes, the prologue isn't really necessary, but it's just a nice introduction (not to mention the glorious music). Also, what I'm left with now is a really superficial animosity between Azog and Thorin. You have to explain why that Orc hates him so passionately. For musical reasons, I would also have preferred the entire eagle sequence.

Your music editing is mostly very good as well, except for two things. I wouldn't have cut Gollum kiling the goblin, and here it means that the 'history of the ring' music comes in really very abruptly. You might want to just add a little fade-in there because it sounds rather forced and unnatural now. Also, there's a rather awkward transition between the Erebor music and Overhill when Bilbo and co are leaving Rivendel. Again, some cross-fading would be all that's necessary here.

And finally, I'll leave you with a question: is this really your very final edition? Would you consider going back to this edit when the complete recordings are (hopefully) released in 5.1 surrround sound? I'll come back after part 2.

Axxofan said:
And finally, I'll leave you with a question: is this really your very final edition? Would you consider going back to this edit when the complete recordings are (hopefully) released in 5.1 surrround sound? I'll come back after part 2.

Aren't the complete recordings already out? It looks like they are calling them Special Editions this time around? I believe he has 5.1 tracks on his maple films site.

No, that's just a marketing gimmick. They are far from complete and definitely not in 5.1.

Ah, i see.

As to the surround tracks, I was referring to the fact that he has 5.1 of his edit available on his site for people to mux into their mp4.

So, that was part two.

Like part one, story-wise, this is such an enormous improvement. I actually felt sad when Thorin died this time because we focus a lot more oh him. BUT: one does not simply cut Stephen Fry out of the film. This seems to be a result of the hatred towards Alfrid (which is justified, but come on, Stephen Fry is just great, leave him alone). I think you are too worried about paying lip-service to the book. Also, why does Smaug leave the mountain covered with gold if the Dwarves never threw it at him? And why wasn't Bard told the Master had died?

Musically, I didn't notice any bad editing this time. The inclusion of the Misty MoUntains theme is simply MARVELLOUS. But it would have been even better if that horrible Bilbo music was replaced by some cheerier Bilbo music during the auction. Finally, a simulated 5.1 mix of The Last Goodbye is sorely needed.
Overall, I'll certainly keep this edit and probably won't ever watch the originals again. But if my criticism was taken into account, it could be even more perfect than it is now. Also, have you considered making the split between the two films even clearer? I mean, how about end credits and the Lonely Mountain song and then a real beginning for part two? Just a suggestion.

Axxofan said:
First, I should tell you that I'm blind so I can't go into a review of the visual aspect...

Axxofan said:
Also, why does Smaug leave the mountain covered with gold if the Dwarves never threw it at him?

I don't mean to be disrespectful, but I'm a little confused.

Back
Top Bottom