• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

JRR Tolkien's The Hobbit (Maple Films Edit)

Is the digital version available for purchase?

TV's Frink said:
Is the digital version available for purchase?

Yes, it went on sale last week I believe. I'm only using it to do some test edits and to get ideas, then I'll buy the Bluray when it comes out and use that as my source media.

In just a short amount of time, I was able to cut the 144-minute runtime down to 75 minutes...and that's including the credits!

I agree with octoroxx, the hidden door scene bothers me only in that the dwarves give up so easily in such a whiney way. Other versions I have seen tone that down, yet keep the feeling that Bilbo is still the one who saves the day, so to speak.

The Battle of Five Armies was released on Bluray today, and I have already begun working on it. I did some test edits on a digital copy in the weeks previous, just to see if some ideas of mine would work. So! With that being said, here is a list of my planned edits for the third and final Hobbit film. I expect to be done with this in the next few days and will have something to share very soon. Stay tuned!

• I went back to DOS and realized it wouldn’t be too hard to remove the Dwarves from Laketown completely, so Smaug’s attack on Laketown is now dwarf and Tauriel-free.
  • Alfrid has been completely removed from the film aside from the opening scene. It is implied that he dies when Smaug lands on the Master’s boat. You’re welcome.
  • Since the four dwarves from Laketown were never actually there, I removed their reunion scene with the company.
  • Some of Thorin’s “dragon sickness” scenes have been cut or trimmed. There were too many of these scenes in the original version and they dragged the film too much. The gold hallucination scene is gone...it's implied that he has a change of heart after Dwalin talks to him.
  • Legolas and Tauriel are gone completely. Hooray.
  • The giant were-worms are gone. Azog’s army simply marches out of the mountainside.
  • The actual Battle of Five Armies has been drastically cut. I boiled it down to its most essential element- Dain’s army is quickly overrun and Thorin must decide whether to help or not. Everything else that happens is not crucial to the plot. Therefore, most of the fighting in Dale has been cut along with some of the more ridiculous bits of the battle. Everything has been streamlined and is much easier to follow now. It also puts more focus on Dain and the dwarves, which is nice.
  • Ravenhill has been trimmed considerably as well. I'm looking to combine Kili and Fili's deaths and it looks REALLY good so far. Unfortunately there is no onscreen death for Bolg since PJ gave him and Legolas the most unrealistic and ridiculous fight scene ever. So let’s just assume Beorn ate him or something.
  • Thorin’s fight with Azog is trimmed a bit but is mostly the same.
  • The film is basically untouched after Bilbo begins his journey home.
  • The End!

I'm curious what ball-park numbers we're looking at with your current edit--time cut, shortened runtime, etc. I realise it's still in progress, but I'd be interested to know if this movie can be edited down by ~45 minutes like the last two, or if it deflates any further...?

MackerelSkyLtd said:
I'm curious what ball-park numbers we're looking at with your current edit--time cut, shortened runtime, etc. I realise it's still in progress, but I'd be interested to know if this movie can be edited down by ~45 minutes like the last two, or if it deflates any further...?

Including the credits, my running time right now is around 4 hours and 10 minutes for the WHOLE project (250 minutes). I haven't finished cutting the third film down so the final number will go down further. However it will probably go back up after the EE is released later this year.

AUJ EE was 180 minutes...I cut it down to 90.

DOS EE was 186 minutes...I cut it down to 73.

BOFA was 144 minutes...so far it's at 87 with credits.

4 hours seems like a reasonable time. I saw David Killstein's There and Back Again 3 hour cut, it is maybe slightly over cut.
Looking forward to seeing yours:)

Here's a new video clip from my fanedit. It's one of my proudest edits so far, because I was able to combine Fili and Kili's deaths into the same scene. I was really afraid of editing BOFA because of the mess in Ravenhill, but I think it turned out well. Let me know what you think!

Nicely done, combining Fili and Kili is a nice dramatic touch. There is just one tiny thing that I noticed, Thorin's sward, In the fist part he is using a regular sward but in the last moment he is holding his elven sward??. You may need to show how he got back his elven sward , otherwise , very nicely done

I'm afraid Thorin's sword (Orcrist) is going to be a plothole that I cannot avoid. I'm not willing to reinsert several scenes of Legolas riding bats and hurling swords from hundreds of feet away just to fix this one continuity issue.

There are far larger plotholes in some of the other fanedits I've seen floating around, so if Thorin's sword is the only big issue I have then I'm OK with that :)

eldusto84 said:
I'm afraid Thorin's sword (Orcrist) is going to be a plothole that I cannot avoid. I'm not willing to reinsert several scenes of Legolas riding bats and hurling swords from hundreds of feet away just to fix this one continuity issue.

There are far larger plotholes in some of the other fanedits I've seen floating around, so if Thorin's sword is the only big issue I have then I'm OK with that :)

That doesn't sound like a good solution or good reasoning to me, but it's not my edit...

I love the Fili/Kili combined death scene, really clever edit there!

I love the Fili/Kili death scene too, but the edit to the confrontation between Throin and Azog doesn't work for me. I'd encourage you to reinsert the parts leading up to Thorin obtaining the elvish sword.

jerick said:
I love the Fili/Kili death scene too, but the edit to the confrontation between Throin and Azog doesn't work for me. I'd encourage you to reinsert the parts leading up to Thorin obtaining the elvish sword.

I don't know if all of it needs to be added back in, but that transition doesn't quite work as is. Maybe a little more of the fight needs to be included? Enough to move the fight to the iced over area?

There is a bit more I could include with Azog and Thorin to get them onto the ice, so I will work on smoothing that out. Thanks!

As for Orcrist, I really don't want to include Legolas just so Thorin can get his sword back. I just feel that re-inserting him into the film would be even more awkward. I did end up cutting out that bit in Mirkwood where Legolas asks Thorin about Orcrist, so perhaps it will be less obvious that Legolas even has the sword to begin with.

The fanedit is complete! If you are interested in viewing it, PM me for the link.

I have a new video clip to share! This was a relatively minor edit but I'm very happy with how it turned out. Ever since I heard "Dreaming of Bag End," the unused Howard Shore track from An Unexpected Journey, I wanted to find a place in my fanedit to insert it. Although I wasn't able to use the whole piece, I managed to fit part of it in as Bilbo says farewell to Gandalf and heads for the Shire.

I have been gathering up feedback on the first release of J.R.R. Tolkien's The Hobbit, and noticed that many have asked for a separate film that follows Gandalf and his doings in Dol Guldur, and I'm happy to say that I've begun work on just that! However, instead of just redoing what other faneditors have done with this subplot, I've decided to take it a bit further and tie another related story into the film.

So this leads us to Durin's Folk and the Hill of Sorcery, a one-hour long film that will serve as a companion piece to my main fanedit, J.R.R. Tolkien's The Hobbit. The title comes directly from the related sections in Tolkien's Appendices. It will incorporate many of the flashbacks and extra scenes that focus on Thorin's family and backstory, and how it ties into the White Council and Dol Guldur. It's looking really good so far, and should help satisfy those of you who may still be interested in seeing what Gandalf was up to during the events of The Hobbit.

I feel that this film might be as close as we'll ever get to seeing that "bridge film" that Peter Jackson and Guillermo del Toro originally wanted to make. It's a lot darker in tone, which is part of the reason why I felt it didn't work with Bilbo's more lighthearted main quest. I'm still a ways out from having the first draft ready to share, but rest assured it will come soon! Just like my main fanedit, keep in mind that the fully finished version will not be ready until the Battle of Five Armies EE comes out later this year!

This pair of films is in the running for my go-to depending on how it compares to Spence's single film.

Back
Top Bottom