• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone: Revisited by Andreas

Scar said:
Andreas, did you decide to forego Academy approval or is it still being evaluated? I was just wondering why it ended up in the Unapproved section. I'm hoping to get to watch this over the holidays: very excited to see how it turned out..
I've sent it to the academy a week ago, but they seem to really take their time this weekend. :p I'm hoping it will be out on the IFDB soon.

And I am happy to hear that you're excited for it! You can always ask me for directions in PM, if you haven't already. :)

Zarius said:
Captain's Backlog?
What?

Andreas said:
I've sent it to the academy a week ago, but they seem to really take their time this weekend. :p I'm hoping it will be out on the IFDB soon.

Patience. One week is nothing, given how limited The Academy's time is and how many submissions need looking at.

Andreas said:
With the High Resolution release that is due to come later (early 2015), there will most likely be a 5.1 release, yes. But this requires even more work, which is why it will come later.

Is there a reason why you are making incremental releases, instead of a single final complete version?

Or from another perspective - why should a potential viewer watch this version, when they know that a new version is right around the corner?

This topic was brought up in another thread recently (Newspock's star wars edit maybe?), and some there were opposed to the "release this version now then immediately go to work on the new and improved version to be released a few months later", and instead preferred that all of the intended work be done prior to release.

RollWave said:
Is there a reason why you are making incremental releases, instead of a single final complete version?

Or from another perspective - why should a potential viewer watch this version, when they know that a new version is right around the corner?

This topic was brought up in another thread recently (Newspock's star wars edit maybe?), and some there were opposed to the "release this version now then immediately go to work on the new and improved version to be released a few months later", and instead preferred that all of the intended work be done prior to release.
Because this new and improved version is a long way down the road. I'm thinking about releasing it alongside Chamber of Secrets. So we're talking many months.

Also, I don't think many people want to download a 30 gigabyte download for the first time, when they can download a pretty good 8 gig one. The material will be exactly the same, opposite a 5.1 surround and a higher resolution for the "upped" one.

But with the amount of new sound effects and music, and the general alterations made, this will take a lot of time. And right now, I don't have that time. I've been working on this for more than two years, and frankly I'm taking a breath.

TV's Frink said:
Patience. One week is nothing, given how limited The Academy's time is and how many submissions need looking at.
Hehe, you got it wrong. It was sarcasm. I wasn't trying to be judgemental.

Andreas said:
I've sent it to the academy a week ago, but they seem to really take their time this weekend. :p

Andreas said:
It was sarcasm. I wasn't trying to be judgemental.

Sarcasm = the use of irony to mock or convey contempt.

Irony = the expression of one's meaning by using language that normally signifies the opposite, typically for humorous or emphatic effect.

:p = An emoticon showing a tongue protruding from one's face. This can often be disrespectful, or simply a way of being cute.

Either way you look at it, it came off as impatient and annoyed that the Academy hasn't reviewed your fanedit after 7 days.

Neglify said:
Sarcasm = the use of irony to mock or convey contempt.

Irony = the expression of one's meaning by using language that normally signifies the opposite, typically for humorous or emphatic effect.

:p = An emoticon showing a tongue protruding from one's face. This can often be disrespectful, or simply a way of being cute.

Either way you look at it, it came off as impatient and annoyed that the Academy hasn't reviewed your fanedit after 7 days.
This is the funniest thing I read all day!!! [emoji1]

And, a week is really short, I waited close to three weeks for feedback, but did other stuff in between. I know it can be nerve wracking to wait to see if it was approved or not, and it's easy to get impatient, but you have to understand that these guys have tons of edits to review and re-review, dissect and make detailed notes, all while working day jobs and spending time with family. They're taking personal time which you and I use to go to the cinema or work out or like, live, to review our work on a laptop with a notepad instead of watching interstellar on imax; so they're working while we're just waiting. Oh yeah, and for no pay and no glory. I don't think you meant any harm at all, just pointing out that it takes a heck of a lot to dedication to be an academy member, but it will be worth the wait my friend. Plan a sequel edit in the mean time. Cheers

When I was younger, I used sarcasm like a razor.
Older, came the realization how futile it was.
John Knowles (A Separate Peace) put it best however,
"... this was my sarcastic summer. It was only long after that I recognized sarcasm as the protest of people who are weak.”

Keep it related to the thread please.

And again, in case any of you missed it on the previous page - I said that I am not impatient at all as to the release of this edit, and that I was not disrespecting the academy in any way. I mistoke the word sarcasm with irony in my defense, but the point should've come easily across whatsoever. :)

Andreas said:

You're the one that brought it up.

Anyway, I'm downloading your edit now and I'm keen to watch it. Since I used to be an Admin and I've approved many fanedits, I'm sure if I give it a pass, that'll suffice.

Andreas said:

I'll handle moderator duties, thank you.

Neglify said:
I used to be an Admin and I've approved many fanedits, I'm sure if I give it a pass, that'll suffice.

Yup.

Review:

I've always been a Potter fan, but nothing too hardcore. I saw all the films in the theater, read all the books, etc etc. I haven't watched "Sorcerer's Stone" in a while because it can't hold a candle to some of the later films (especially "Prisoner" and "Deathly Hallows"), although it's nowhere near as cringe-worthy as "Chamber". So now, Andreas has set out to bring "Sorcerer's Stone" more in line with the later films, primarily by way of rescoring and color grading, along with some nips and tucks, and beefing things up with a nice flashback sequence.

A/V quality - 8

There's a lot of compression artifacts in this 8 GB MP4, and I suspect some of it is due to the color grading. It's not terrible, but image quality could have been much better.

Visual editing - 9

Not a lot of footage has been cut, mainly the visual editing is the color grading, which for the most part looked fantastic. There were a couple of crossfades that were decidedly un-epic and drew attention to themselves, but aside from those the cuts were seamless.

Audio editing - 10

Absolutely wonderful. If you showed this to a Potter newb, or even somebody who hasn't watched the flick in years, they wouldn't know this was rescored. Only one or two musical cues felt out of place, but the rest was flawless.

Narrative/Improvement - 9

Overall, Andreas keeps the story and characterizations intact, and strengthens the overall mood with the improved music. The biggest narrative change was the new Potters/Voldemort flashback, which was fricking excellent the first time we saw it, but by the fifth time it showed up, it felt repetitive. (And no, I didn't need a tissue for flashback #5.)

Enjoyment - 9

A refreshing way to revisit HP1, highly recommended for Potter-heads. Jolly good show chap!

JwGyj5.png

Great work, Andreas. Finally got a free afternoon to sit down and give this a watch.

The rescoring is incredibly effective. Having recently rewatched the original version, the difference sitting down with your fanedit was remarkable (and a strong reminder of just how important music is to the tone of a film). I really and truly feel you accomplished what you were shooting for here -- a darker, more mature feeling film. There was a sense of both foreboding AND wonder throughout, at just the right moments..

I thought your cuts were strong ones as well, trimming expository fat in smart ways and keeping the tempo nice and tight. The opening, the potions scene, Ron with the Mirror, the dragon: none were missed, and the movie was all the better for them being gone. Nearly Headless Nick's cameo worked surprisingly well as just that: a cameo.

The only small moment I thought you could have done without: Quirrrel 's "I thought you'd want to know" before he faints in the great hall. It's always struck me as silly.

I love the idea of the new flashbacks, and the way they change the feel of the film, though I do wish there was more/ different footage to play with, especially by the end of the film. Seeing the same bits footage for the third time, it looses a bit of its oomph. Easy to suggest, though, when I don't have any practical suggestions on improving it. Bravo all the same.

I am very much looking forward to seeing CHAMBER, and showing this to other Harry Potter fans.

Scar said:
Great work, Andreas. Finally got a free afternoon to sit down and give this a watch.

The rescoring is incredibly effective. Having recently rewatched the original version, the difference sitting down with your fanedit was remarkable (and a strong reminder of just how important music is to the tone of a film). I really and truly feel you accomplished what you were shooting for here -- a darker, more mature feeling film. There was a sense of both foreboding AND wonder throughout, at just the right moments..

I thought your cuts were strong ones as well, trimming expository fat in smart ways and keeping the tempo nice and tight. The opening, the potions scene, Ron with the Mirror, the dragon: none were missed, and the movie was all the better for them being gone. Nearly Headless Nick's cameo worked surprisingly well as just that: a cameo.

The only small moment I thought you could have done without: Quirrrel 's "I thought you'd want to know" before he faints in the great hall. It's always struck me as silly.

I love the idea of the new flashbacks, and the way they change the feel of the film, though I do wish there was more/ different footage to play with, especially by the end of the film. Seeing the same bits footage for the third time, it looses a bit of its oomph. Easy to suggest, though, when I don't have any practical suggestions on improving it. Bravo all the same.

I am very much looking forward to seeing CHAMBER, and showing this to other Harry Potter fans.
I really appreciate the kind words, and I am so happy that you liked it! You've always been one of the most eager and constructive users following my two edits, and for that I am thankful. ;)

And if you liked Sorcerer's, I really can not wait for you to see Chamber! It is an a whole other league!

I want to update you guys about the status of Sorcerer's Stone : Revisited, as many people are asking for directions to obtain it - which is greatly appreciated.

Sorcerer's Stone - Revisited will be re-released alongside Chamber of Secrets : Revisited during its release, which currently is due early February or late March this year.

The re-release will contain a much higher video quality, and possibly some new alterations. :)

Very exciting to hear: looking forward to both

Looking forward to seeing these! From what I've read and the clips I've seen, it's about to be my go-to version.

Back
Top Bottom