• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Vote now in wave 1 of the FEOTM Reboot!

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone: Revisited by Andreas

[UPDATE 1.2 : 22.08.14 - Video - Second attempt]

YouTube blocked my video three times in a row, so now I uploaded a lower quality one to Vimeo. It is by no means in horrible shape, just not as clean as I'd like. It's also two minutes shorter than the original videosnippet due to Vimeo Max MB limitations. Original post, with new video, follows:

So, after a very idle last three weeks, I want to give you a new treat. A 6-minute preview of the entire opening - with integrated movie title and the old Godric's Hollow opening, as well as the Zoo sequence. Have in mind that this is not the final, finished product, as some audio is still missing (or needing of replacement(s)) and some video is not properly arranged (such as Harry's dream). However, a short cutlist for those interested (the videoclip is down below if you want to skip this):

• Opening title sequence completely re-made with new sfx, music, video (from the movies) and visuals.
  • A new prologue is added based on my first; this one much softer than the previous one. Baby screams are removed, and horror music softened and replaced. Also many re-arrangements.
  • "10 years later" text added for continuity.
  • Old Privat Drive prologue - in the past - completely removed.
  • New Privat Drive opening.
  • New Harry Potter introduction.
  • General scene re-arrangements.
  • Soundtrack added to Vernon lecture outside the house.
  • Zoo sequence altered with a new soundtrack and a completely new snake sfx. This scene now feels powerful and magical as Harry is for the first time experiencing his true powers, as well as befriending and releasing a snake.
  • New soundtrack added as the Dursley's & Harry relocate at Privat Drive after the Zoo incident.

• And, of course, all scenes are heavily color corrected and smoothened!

[Video] The New Opening

Opening logo's got a rather creepy vibe to it, for me :) Thought it was Bellatrix until I remembered it was only Philosopher's Stone.

Will you be doing anything to change Voldemort's face on the back of Professor Quirrell's head, or will it stay the way it is?

Just something I have always wondered. In the UK version of Harry Potter does he actually say, "Philosophers Stone." Or does he refer to it as, "Sorcerers Stone?"

Editroid said:
Will you be doing anything to change Voldemort's face on the back of Professor Quirrell's head, or will it stay the way it is?
I will try to flatten his nose to make the resemblence to GoF-Voldemort, but other than that I'm out of ideas. Making him from scratch would take an actor, a green screen and a hell of a lot of rotoscoping.

Andreas said:
I will try to flatten his nose to make the resemblence to GoF-Voldemort, but other than that I'm out of ideas. Making him from scratch would take an actor, a green screen and a hell of a lot of rotoscoping.
I don't believe your heart is in this project.:lol:

Great work!

My one and only issue is the line "36? But last year, last year I had 37! In the book it's repeated, but the delivery isn't right in the movie. Would it be simple/sound right to remove the first "But last year" so it's "36? Last year I had 37!"

But other than that, loved the new music and sound effects with the snake scene, amazing what something like that can do! Great work, all the little cuts, like Dudley not going back up the stairs to jump, very neat and tidy, like it a lot!

Solid11 said:
Great work!

My one and only issue is the line "36? But last year, last year I had 37! In the book it's repeated, but the delivery isn't right in the movie. Would it be simple/sound right to remove the first "But last year" so it's "36? Last year I had 37!"

But other than that, loved the new music and sound effects with the snake scene, amazing what something like that can do! Great work, all the little cuts, like Dudley not going back up the stairs to jump, very neat and tidy, like it a lot!
I agree with you. I will look into it later today.

Thank you for the compliments and support! I appreciate it!

[Update]

New preview video uploading. Will be posted very soon.

[Update: 27/08/14 - Videopreview]

Here is a new video for you guys to enjoy. There are simply so many changes within these scenes that I will not even get started in this post, but rather attend to my cutlist on the frontpage when the time is right. However, enjoy! There is also a color correction comparison at the end of the video, when they're in Diagon Alley.

[Question/Debate]

After a lot of dwelling, thinking and tweaking, I have come to terms with removing the Snape potions scene from the movie. Here are the many, good reasons why with a conclusion at the bottom. Feel free to debate this change and/or give me feedback as to what you liked/didn't like about it, if any.

- The sequence is poorly executed from a cinematic perspective. Horrible acting, horrible editing and a horrible location (second to worst in the movies if you ask me, right behind the broom-training location with Madam Hoop).
The scene doesn't even feel like it's relevant from a cinematic perspective, even though it kinda is and should be.

- The stare competition between Snape & Harry is cringeworthy; the acting is very off as Dan is not good (and probably not comfortable) in this scene, having Alan Rickman to act like a dick without any response from Dan. It makes the entire importance of the scene fade away into an empty, but admirable, attempt.

- This is the one and only scene of Snape in the entire franshisce where I do not find him intimidating nor interesting. Every single dialouge seems rehearsed and out-of-place, again because of the lack of response from Dan and the forced plotpoint given from book to screen. It doesn't work like in the books, at all. All dialouge feels out of place and (again) rehearsed.

- It improves the movies pace a lot.

THE STORY

Taking all this into account, removing the scene wouldn't really hurt the story, but rather enhance it. If you really give all of this a good thought, removing the potions scene improves the entire franschice's Snape & the Potter's relationship. This is why:

If Snape does not show any hatred or lack of respect towards Harry as he does in the Potions Sequence, this really leaves the emotions of Snape more up to the viewers inturpretation of him as a character, doesn't it? And this I think is genius! Because in the Prince's Tale from the Deathly Hallows part 2, Snape tells about his feelings for Harry during the Sorcerer's stone to Dumbledore shortly with this sentence: "He posses no magical talent, his arrogance rivals even that of his father and he seems to relish his fame".

Brilliant! We know all of us by now that Snape despised James, and that what he despised in James is what he mostly saw in Harry, simply because (and this is my 50 bucks) it was easier for Snape to show hatred than love after his conscience haunting him all these years after the murder and death of Lily and James. Snape chose to see Harry as the spitting image of his father rather than his mother, because hatred and conscience was eating Snape up from inside, therefore much easier for him to access than love, a love he worked every single day of his life to try to put aside. With regret and anger eating him up, Harry suddenly shows up; glistening with his mother's eyes. The love and hatred of Snape starts to battle eachother fiercly.

Do you see where I am going with this, or is this too poetic for you?

Conclusion

The reason why I think this is all too brilliant, is because it shows the audience that Snape did actually try to hide his emotions and hatred during the Sorcerer's Stone, and actually tried to be a better himself and in some ways attach to Harry. But throughout the movie Harry continously is suspicious of Snape, believing him to be up to mischief; therefore Snape feels as a victim of James's again and again betrayed by love, so he turns back to hatred again, thus the line to Dumbledore near the end of the semester: "He posses no magical talent, his arrogance rivals even that of his father and he seems to relish his fame". Snape tried, but he got rejected, just like James always rejected him, and therefore Harry became a ghost of his father to Snape, that continiously haunted him.

All of this makes Snape even more of a tragic character and the relationship between Harry & Snape even stronger. Snape actually tried! It was in this case actually Harry that unknowingly doomed this relationship, turning Snape against him by rejecting his presence. Two characters that really should have learned to love and respect eachother; fill eachothers holes, but were both misunderstood by one another, hitting eachothers weakspots, culminating in a poisonous relationship that only in the end, when both let their poisonous anger aside, were able to see eachother for who they really were all along, resulting in what I think is one of the most beautiful and tragical relationships in all of cinema.

Thank you, and please speak your mind about this change! :)

Your reasons sound solid, I'm all for removing that scene.

And it's James Potter, not Jacob.

Yes, since the film doesn't include the Potions puzzle in the finale, that scene in Snape's class sets up a whole lot of nothing, so beyond what you've come up with for reasoning, it makes sense to remove it just because it won't be setting up false expectations for people who freshly remember the book's ending. And what's all this Jacob stuff? You doing Twilight next?! :lol: I keed.

HAHAHA, addiesin! You cracked me up! :D

I ment James of course, not Jacob. In the norwegian translation it is Jacob, so there you have it!

I am really liking this edit, the more I hear about it. And I agree with the removal of the potions class. Adding the colour correction comparison at the end of the video was a great idea, by the way; you can really see the improvement :)

Agreed with above. I forgot to mention because I figure it's a given at this point but your color grading definitely matches the feel of the later films, you've nailed it. For a second I thought you may have used Leaky Cauldron footage from the third film but, no, you just did a great job instead.

(not to be THAT guy, but it's Madam Hooch)

Color correction is definitely a significant change - matches the rest of the series for sure. The music almost feels out of place now - too bright and cheerful! :)

edit: oh yeah, my 2 knuts about removing the potion class scene: I agree - take it out and Snape is a much better character.

Solid11 said:
Color correction is definitely a significant change - matches the rest of the series for sure. The music almost feels out of place now - too bright and cheerful! :)
True, and this is exactly why there are many music alterations throughout this edit.

However, I am glad to hear you all like where this is going! Your enthusiasm is a big part of what keeps me going! :)

[REQUEST]

Since it's less than four months away from release, I have two requests for you guys.

1. My fanedit needs a Cover Art, and I don't know if any of you here are able to help me with that or know someone who can. It would be greatly appreciated, and credits will - of course - be given! The cover art would need to resemble the tone of this Revisited project, otherwise I am open for inturpreation as to what the cover art should look like beyond that.

2. A rough cut is near finished, and I would like two of you (for the sake of different opinions) to preview it and come with responses and suggestions. I hope you all understand that leaking any footage would undermine the entire release of this fanedit as I want to blow peoples minds, and therefore I would need two trustworthy people with editing experiences to look at it. Please feel free to PM me if you're interested. :) - Credits will of course be given!

Just catching up on this - good job on the Diagon Alley color correction & the new opening! Really spooky and fits right in with the later films (I am so ready for Halloween now lol )
Also, as much as I love (Love, LOVE! :cheer2: ) Alan Rickman, I too am in favor of ditching potions class to improve pacing. I think as far as the first film goes, the most vital scene with Snape is not potions, anyway - it's the feast in the Great Hall when Harry asks Percy "Who is that man?". These are the first words he ever says about Snape, and the last words he ever says about Snape provide the answer ("The bravest man I ever knew" = gotta love JK. She thought of everything :) ).

UPDATE [09/16/14] IT IS FINISHED!

Every franchise has a beginning, and an end. This is a brand new way to explore the beginning chapter in the world of Harry Potter, and it's a completely refreshing one.

After watching through the whole thing with my littlebrother (who is twelve) last night, I am proud to say that this fanedit is finally finished. After two years of extremely detailed, hard work; planning, editing, executing, changes, bumps, challenges, questions, anger, blood, sweat (to mention some of the keywords of this process), this product is actually finished; shining like a brand new film, and marking the beginning of the Potter franchise as I've envisioned it for the last five years in my head, now finally on film.

[1.1] The original Idea

What I originally set out to do was to make a better paced movie that was far more interesting and darker than the original, and a movie that fit much better within the frame of the complete franchise's continuity. What initially happened, was just far beyond that. Not only is the movie paced and darker. Almost the entire movie is re-scored with music and audio, every frame of film color corrected, the filmtone a brand new one, and continuity-wise this film fits way better in than what the original ever will. This is a brand new way to explore the beginning chapter in the world of Harry Potter, and it's a completely refreshing one. I am sure to say it will put a spell on you.

[1.2] Finito

Some of you might have actually read the first post in this thread and all the once following it, and understood what I'm actually trying to achieve with this edit. Some of you might have just popped in from time to time to watch a new clip. And some of you might be so tired of this never-ending editing that you've fallen asleep or maybe even fallen off the wagon a long time ago, but just follows this thread along from time to time out of complete boredom.
Whatever it is, nothing can change the fact that this fanedit is finally completed and I am thankful to those that have shown interest.

We're almost ready for release. Almost...
Because this fanedit still needs a cover art.

[1.3] Cover Art

Whoever can make a good enough Cover Art will be credited, and will put the final stamp on this edit. It would be greatly appreciated! In the meantime, I am happy to answer all your questions regarding this edit - if any - in this thread or on PM. :)

Back
Top Bottom