• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone: Revisited by Andreas

Sunarep said:
Radical question - do we need the privet drive after this already very mysterious opening?
it was always one of the scenes that despite being full of magic seemed the least magical and most "generic fantasy movie scene #828"

That's actually a good idea... I like it

Solid11 said:
That's actually a good idea... I like it
Without it, we have no introduction to Hagrid. Dumbledore and Minerva we can do without, as they are not key parts to the story as of yet, but we lose a lot of connection with Harry and Hagrid by removing Hagrid's care for this baby boy in the opening. Not to mention the heartwrenching and nostalgic quotes and moments from Deathly Hallows that re-introduces us to that perticular opening.

Otherwise, I'd absolutely delete it.

Andreas said:
Without it, we have no introduction to Hagrid. Dumbledore and Minerva we can do without, as they are not key parts to the story as of yet, but we lose a lot of connection with Harry and Hagrid by removing Hagrid's care for this baby boy in the opening. Not to mention the heartwrenching and nostalgic quotes and moments from Deathly Hallows that re-introduces us to that perticular opening.

Otherwise, I'd absolutely delete it.

well there are a plenty of introductions. hagrid is introducing himself to the dursleys and the teachers are introduced in hogwarts.
To me the super magically opening kinda dampens the whole experience by harry discovering the magical world

[UPDATE]

Here are completed scenes! Enjoy them, and give me feedback :)

OPENING [Finale version]

LILY'S LEGACY - Aunt Petunia and the Potter story

THE GODRIC'S HOLLOW STORY - Hagrid tells Harry about lord Voldemort

THE HOGWARTS EXPRESS - Discovering the Magic and Encountering Hermione

BORN RIVALS - Harry and Draco Malfoy meets

First post has also been updated with videos and a new Changelist.

Andreas said:
First post has also been updated with videos and a new Changelist.
Black text on near-black background. It's really hard to read. You might want to remove the text-color changer from that post.

Easy way to do this is edit your post, copy all, paste into notepad, copy all again, paste back into post, and save new changes. Should strip the formatting.

Or click this button to clear the formatting.

3r8t.png

Wow, what the hell happened... Haha! I've fixed it now. 'Effin iPad!

Appreciate feedback on the videos! :)

Neglify said:
Or click this button to clear the formatting.

3r8t.png

I clicked the button in your post, nothing happened.

EDIT: I clicked the button in my quote of your post, still nothing happened.

TV's Frink said:
I clicked the button in your post, nothing happened.

EDIT: I clicked the button in my quote of your post, still nothing happened.

Is the formatting now cleared in the OP? I rest my case.

Haha! Problem fixed. Chill out.

Thread closed and moved due to inactivity. If the original poster ever wants to reactivate it, please PM me or any admin/moderator.

Check out the first page/frontpage to see the new, updated post! :)

Thread reopened by the editor's request, and new thread merged with old one.

Here is a brand new opening for you guys to enjoy :) Read the first post for further details on the project. Enjoy!

The New Opening

You may notice scores and sfx are not fully completed in this scene, as well as the movie title not yet integrated.

Watched that opening preview. Love the footage of Harry's parents getting killed as a sort of dream sequence, really nice so far.

Hi! Love the idea and the sample clips :)

It's amazing how much the music can influence the tone of a scene. I like the train & birthday scenes much better now :) I agree with Derek, too, about the dream sequence - Harry's dreams were always very important in the books - so what a great idea to open the series with a mysterious dream. If there's anything that could make it better, I would say open the film with the dream sequence, and make it even more mysterious.

In one of the previous samples, I noticed the dream ended with the glowing scar on baby Harry and transitioned to the scar on his forehead in present-day. I think it would make a lot of sense to emphasize/foreshadow his connection to Voldemort's mind via dreams and the scar.

You could start with WB logo, and then transition to a crop of the family portrait from CoS (where she kisses Harry's hand and waves, to show how happy they were), moving on to the scenes from Hagrid's retelling (the hooded figure, the glowing keyhole, the green flash in the upstairs window) mixed with scenes from the Prince's tale that suggest an intruder without giving anything away (the quick shot of the hallway at the top of the stairs, the teddy bear & mobile). Harry never knew what happened to his parents, so remove any clips that explicitly show what happened to them that night.

This will help the scene that comes later, when Hagrid explains how his parents really died. That scene will play as if Harry is recalling his mysterious dream (the clips that don't reveal anything specific) and filling in the blanks with Hagrid's new information (clips of James dead on the stairs, and Voldemort bursting into the room and killing Lily). Basically, it helps the audience stay in Harry's perspective - discovering everything just as he does.

For the audio, you could keep the line where Lily says "Harry you are so loved" and mix it with a sample of Riddle/Voldemort saying something in parseltongue from one of the other movies. This will make the sequence creepier, and will also compliment the scene at the zoo when Harry uses parseltongue to free the snake.

If you wanted to give the scene more context as far as the Dursley's, you could use the parseltongue sample mixed with a clip of the original opening dialogue as a voice-over:

McGonagall: Are the rumors true, Albus?
Dumbledore: I'm afraid so, Professor...
McGonagall: And the boy? Do you think it's safe, leaving him with these people? They really are--
Dumbledore: The only family he has.

End with the clip of him bundled in the basket and Dumbledore placing the letter to Petunia next to him (maybe add the glowing scar effect in this scene, rather than using the closeup) and transition to the glowing scar as he sleeps under the cupboard on Dudley's birthday.

This means the snake/zoo scene will come before Hagrid's letter. Not sure how attached you are to using the letter arrival as your opening scene, but as far as I'm aware, the letters did not arrive until the week of Harry's birthday, July 31st. Dudley's birthday is June 23rd, over a month earlier, so for that reason alone, you might want to reconsider sticking to the original zoo/letter sequencing. Aside from adhering to canon, it would also allow you to use the follow up scenes of the house filling up with letters. This illustrates how much they deprive Harry, and you could experiment with the music to make it seem creepy instead of silly or wonderous.

One other tiny suggestion - in the scene where Petunia is telling Harry about his mom getting "blown up" - rather than cutting away from grown up Petunia to the shot of Lily's hand holding the flower, try cutting away from Harry watching and listening to Petunia, to a shot of young Lily from TPT (and try to match their eyes onscreen). This way you get a more visceral sense of how Petunia literally sees her sister in Harry's eyes, and why she can't stand him (the next part where young Petunia knocks the flower out of Lily's hand synced up with grown up Petunia saying "I was the only one who saw her for what she really was.. a freak!" is spot on :thumb: )

Anyway, I hope you can see the reasoning behind these suggestions, even if they don't float your boat :)

Myster_FixIt said:
Hi! Love the idea and the sample clips :)
*TEXT*

Many of your ideas mentioned have already been performed in earlier takes on this edit as can be seen in previous videos throughout the thread. As for opening with a flashback-sequence, as done before, I am quite unsure. It worked brilliantly, but in general it felt like too much of a sudden, dark and abrupt opening for a tale of which first-time audiences know nothing about. Then, on the other hand, that is exactly what I want. So i'm probably going to put it back in (videoclip of this "alternate" opening can be seen somewhere throughout the thread).

As for many of your other suggestions, I seriously love them and many I will take into good use! :)

Would it be possible for you to create a new Warner Bros. opening logo from scratch instead of simply changing the color from the one in Half-Blood Prince? No offense, but it looks a bit amateurish.

Back
Top Bottom