• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 1: The 90 Minute Wicked Edition

^^ That's good to know. It should be very helpful to AEmovieguy. ;-)

Alright, just got done burning the DVD and watching this awesome fan edit. Being a fan of the Harry Potter books, I was hesitant in knowing that this movie was condensed down so much, especially removing the entire Godric's Hollow chapters, but this fan edit does create a very interesting, fast-paced edition of DH part 1 :) Awesome too that the "Horcruxes Quest Explained" deleted scene was inserted back into the movie....never understood why they removed that scene, helps out the audience especially non-book HP fans explain what in the world the trio are camping around the world for :p The improved/brightened colors was a nice touch too, made some scenes really feel like the other HP movies (although some darker scenes seem to have more film grain/pixelation because of it....although maybe the DL release will have some of this fixed). Great!

codefinder said:
Alright, just got done burning the DVD and watching this awesome fan edit. Being a fan of the Harry Potter books, I was hesitant in knowing that this movie was condensed down so much, especially removing the entire Godric's Hollow chapters, but this fan edit does create a very interesting, fast-paced edition of DH part 1 :) Awesome too that the "Horcruxes Quest Explained" deleted scene was inserted back into the movie....never understood why they removed that scene, helps out the audience especially non-book HP fans explain what in the world the trio are camping around the world for :p The improved/brightened colors was a nice touch too, made some scenes really feel like the other HP movies (although some darker scenes seem to have more film grain/pixelation because of it....although maybe the DL release will have some of this fixed). Great!

Glad that you enjoyed it. :)

The level corrections, even though applied to a Blu-ray source, do reveal some of the high compression and grain (especially the Locket scene) present in Warner Bros.' official release. The Blu-ray only allocated 18 GB out of 50GB on the disc to the actual 144 minute film (video track), averaging 18 Mbps (Perhaps so they could recycle the encode onto the same disc as Part 2 this Fall?). A bitrate like this for a Blu-ray is cutting it close, and it is at this point that the encoder really starts nipping and tucking macroblocks into the blacks of the image. Thus, the problem: by "fixing" the levels to match the previous films, there was a trade-off of revealing some of the macroblocking where darker portions of the scene used to be.

That, plus, as you mentioned, it is only the SL DVD with 5 Mbps video. The 720p and Blu-ray versions will have a little deblocking applied during their encodes, which will start today, though these will remain tradeoffs as well.

Thanks again, codefinder. Very invaluable knowing that three positive reviews came from fans of the actual book/original film, as I know I'd be hesitant to except a 42 minute shorter version of a property I love.

Take care,

AEmovieguy

yeah, Deathly Hallows was probably my second favorite of the book series. Half Blood Prince being 1st then Deathly Hallows then followed by Order of the Phoenix.

Watched this and thought it was great, with one exception. I would've left the audio unchanged while Harry and Hermione walked back to the tent after the first encounter with the Snatchers. We already saw that the Snitch said "I open at the close" in the previous scene, and we get a list of where the Deathly Hallows symbol has appeared later in the edit.

I feel that by leaving the original dialogue about Ron being too weak to apparate actually works even more in your favor for the "Ron feeling worthless" subplot, since he catches them talking about him "behind his back", and it tells why they have to move, why they don't apparate, etc. The sudden insertion of the Beetle the Bard scene in the middle there was jarring as well.

Otherwise, a great edit and I really enjoyed it :)

I'm still waiting for the HD stuff. Then I'm on this like a Nargle!

nightstalkerpoet said:
Watched this and thought it was great, with one exception. I would've left the audio unchanged while Harry and Hermione walked back to the tent after the first encounter with the Snatchers. We already saw that the Snitch said "I open at the close" in the previous scene, and we get a list of where the Deathly Hallows symbol has appeared later in the edit.

I feel that by leaving the original dialogue about Ron being too weak to apparate actually works even more in your favor for the "Ron feeling worthless" subplot, since he catches them talking about him "behind his back", and it tells why they have to move, why they don't apparate, etc. The sudden insertion of the Beetle the Bard scene in the middle there was jarring as well.

Otherwise, a great edit and I really enjoyed it :)

Thanks, Nightstalkerpoet! Coming from another fan of the original film, I'm happy that was the only exception. ;-)

It was a tradeoff because I like the reference back to the first film with Harry's "I didn't catch the snitch with my hand, I almost swallowed it." I also thought it was important to have the symbol in Beetle the Bard appear on screen with Harry's line about Mr. Lovegood and that this was the only time to do it in this version of the movie. I've spaced out the lines more for future releases so they aren't quite as jarring, since I have to re-upload the SL DVD anyway.

emphatic said:
I'm still waiting for the HD stuff. Then I'm on this like a Nargle!

The DL 720p AVCHD release will be available in 3-4 days. It will start encoding as soon as the new SL DVD is finished uploading.

The DL DVD is already uploaded and the .dlc will be sent in along with the corrected .dlc for the SL release in a couple of hours.

Sadly, the commentary track is cancelled. I just can't talk through a movie seriously. :oops:

AEmovieguy said:
Sadly, the commentary track is cancelled. I just can't talk through a movie seriously. :oops:

I can sympathize here. I am committed to doing this for Episode II and III, but not sure I will provide it for any edits beyond Star Wars. It is not an easy task by any means. But it is a shame because it's wonderfully interesting.

You may want to take the Q2 route and provide a sub-titled commentary track.

L8wrtr said:
I can sympathize here. I am committed to doing this for Episode II and III, but not sure I will provide it for any edits beyond Star Wars. It is not an easy task by any means. But it is a shame because it's wonderfully interesting.

I have a huge respect for those who can do commentaries now. How do you do it, L8wrtr? Should I break it down scene by scene with multiple takes and then edit it together? Write a script/notes?

Would those waiting for the DL DVD, AVCHD, and Blu-ray be willing to wait a little longer while I try to muscle through a commentary?

believe it or not, SotS was done in one single marathon take. I had made a few notes, and a few false starts, but once I got past the 5 minute mark, it just went, it was like presenting to my friends. The problem was actually with an average of over 2 edits every minute I had too much to say. So, I focused on balancing describing my overall strategy, but pausing to point out specific changes which I felt were worth noting.

With TRD I think I'm going to do it in sections, more planned out and stitch it together.

L8wrtr said:
believe it or not, SotS was done in one single marathon take. I had made a few notes, and a few false starts, but once I got past the 5 minute mark, it just went, it was like presenting to my friends. The problem was actually with an average of over 2 edits every minute I had too much to say. So, I focused on balancing describing my overall strategy, but pausing to point out specific changes which I felt were worth noting.

With TRD I think I'm going to do it in sections, more planned out and stitch it together.

Thanks for the advice, L8wrtr. One take is very impressive.

I think I'll take one last swing at it while the AVCHD release is encoding this weekend. I really feel like I should do it now, even if the results aren't perfect.

Good luck, it's a tough undertaking but I found that people really responded to the insight, I know I'll be sure to listen if you do one!

L8wrtr said:
Or Star Wars Revisited.

I did my Matrix commentary track as audio and did it in real time as I watched the movie (minus a few small sections that I went back and re-recorded). That said, it still took the better part of a week to complete. It was some work, and I am not too fond of hearing my own voice. :) FYI, I did it using the Playstation Eye. It is a great camera and microphone for like $30. I'm not sure about mac, but there is a PC driver that somebody made for it that you can find online.

I think the Matrix worked well as a verbal commentary because I had a lot of topics I wanted to talk about beyond a basic factual accounting of changes made. That type of "Phantom Editor style" discourse works better verbally than as subtitles, but the flipside is that I didn't have enough time to verbally cover every change made. If the goal of the commentary is only to provide a factual accounting of changes made, I think a subtitle commentary works better.

geminigod said:
Or Star Wars Revisited.

I did my Matrix commentary track as audio and did it in real time as I watched the movie (minus a few small sections that I went back and re-recorded). That said, it still took the better part of a week to complete. It was some work, and I am not too fond of hearing my own voice. :) FYI, I did it using the Playstation Eye. It is a great camera and microphone for like $30. I'm not sure about mac, but there is a PC driver that somebody made for it that you can find online.

I think the Matrix worked well as a verbal commentary because I had a lot of topics I wanted to talk about beyond a basic factual accounting of changes made. That type of "Phantom Editor style" discourse works better verbally than as subtitles, but the flipside is that I didn't have enough time to verbally cover every change made. If the goal of the commentary is only to provide a factual accounting of changes made, I think a subtitle commentary works better.

The lack of fondness I have for my own voice has been a major factor in my struggle, as well. Needs more bass. ;-)

I definitely have a lot to say, beyond pointing out changes, with regards to my thought process towards the original film, the series as a movie series, and why I went about editing the film this way. A text commentary would likely fill up the entire frame with a paragraph every other minute. I just need to sit down and plan this out.

Besides the commentary track, the DL DVD is fully prepared and the DL AVCHD is over 24 hours into encoding the main feature (used me_esa instead of me_umh :shock:). By next friday, the DL DVD and AVCHD will be submitted, with or without a commentary. I hope it can be the former and thank Geminigod and L8wrtr for their kind encouragement.

I also purchased a Blu-ray burner that supports BD-RE discs. So I will be able to provide proper quality control for the Blu-ray release and have a Blu-ray copy of my own edit.

Are you sure about the average of 18 Mbps on the original blu-ray? Since it's not a single file, and I'm too lazy to take a few steps to check it other ways, I did do a spot check on my blu-ray player, and most of the time it was coming in around 21-25 Mbps, with some scenes going as high as 30 Mbps. There were some scenes that were down around 12-15 Mbps, but from what I could tell, most of the time it was in the 20's, and in some of the darker scenes approaching 30.

Again this was a spot check bouncing around from scene to scene, so it's not too scientific.

AEmovieguy said:
By next friday, the DL DVD and AVCHD will be submitted, with or without a commentary. I hope it can be the former and thank Geminigod and L8wrtr for their kind encouragement.

I also purchased a Blu-ray burner that supports BD-RE discs. So I will be able to provide proper quality control for the Blu-ray release and have a Blu-ray copy of my own edit.

Sweet!

Kevinicus said:
Are you sure about the average of 18 Mbps on the original blu-ray? Since it's not a single file, and I'm too lazy to take a few steps to check it other ways, I did do a spot check on my blu-ray player, and most of the time it was coming in around 21-25 Mbps, with some scenes going as high as 30 Mbps. There were some scenes that were down around 12-15 Mbps, but from what I could tell, most of the time it was in the 20's, and in some of the darker scenes approaching 30.

Again this was a spot check bouncing around from scene to scene, so it's not too scientific.

I had based that number off of memory from Ralph Potts' review of the Blu-ray at AVSforum. Checking his review now and according to his equipment, the average video bitrate at the end of the film is 16 Mbps.

Hi guys,
I am trying to download the SL verson. Using Jdownloader. It says part 28 is not found. Did I miss the extra link to that part in this thread?
Thanks!
Pauvre

pauvre said:
Hi guys,
I am trying to download the SL verson. Using Jdownloader. It says part 28 is not found. Did I miss the extra link to that part in this thread?
Thanks!
Pauvre

PM coming!

pauvre said:
Hi guys,
Thanks!
Pauvre

Same here :( This would be my first fanedit-review and it would be great to get the missing part. Thank you

Back
Top Bottom