• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 1: The 90 Minute Wicked Edition

Hey, I would watch that movie!

Fabulous.

I finally got around to watching this. (In fact I watched it with my mother!) I'm not going to write a formal review at this time but wanted to make a couple comments.

1) I think the Lumos! extra feature was my favorite part! The creative fun you had with it really showed. It also technically impressed me. I'm still not really sure how you fluidly worked the split screen like you did! And it was set brilliantly to the chosen music.

2) As far as the movie goes, I was pretty excited about the plan for this edit. After watching it, I had two separate feelings. For me personally as someone who is familiar with the book and theatrical release I was overall grateful for the cuts made, glad it was shorter, and sometimes wishing it were even shorter yet. But simultaneously I couldn't help but feel that perhaps you cut too deeply unnecessarily in some scenes at the cost of character, story development, and dramatic tension and not enough in a couple spots surrounding your camping cuts where the characters' words and reactions now don't make sense. (There were also a couple awkward fades in the camping stuff.) I fear that someone watching this who had never seen the original or read the book would be very confused and feel that the movie felt disjointed. This seems to be one of the more challenging concepts with fanediting. Because of the very familiar audience here, faneditors can often get away with leaving certain character or story threads a little splinched, but when taken in as an original story and graded soley on its own merit, critics would probably respond less favorably.

3) I watched the AVCHD version. The audio sounded excellent. Strong work there. Visually I suspect this edit looks great on DVD. On AVCHD it doesn't look bad per say, but just not as good as it could given the blu-ray source. This is more apparent in some scenes due to your adjustment to the luma levels, but that color correcting effect seems to just be enhancing some other underlying compression or resolution data loss that occurred prior to applying the effect. This is evident in the Lumos extra video comparing both versions side by side.

With all that in mind, I rated this edit 7/10. AEmovieguy put an impressive amount of work into this and it shows. It is not perfect in my opinion, but it is well worth the time to watch for anyone like myself who felt the source material for this story was flawed and who does not want to see an exact reproduction of The Deathly Hallows book.

...Ok I guess this turned into a pretty formal review afterall. Lol. I guess I'll post it to the review page as well!

I missed the hidden easter egg on the AVCHD but just watched it here. That was awesome! You are a wealth of creativity AEmovieguy. I probably didn't emphasize enough in my above post that the presentation experience in terms of the menus and extras is awesome!

Copied my review from the edit's page:

So, I watched this today (AVCHD, stripped down to just the movie file to watch in my HTPC, so sadly I’ve missed out on all the cool extras).

Video is crisp and good, but some compression artifacts are present on dark areas, but doesn’t bother me much, however, the scene in the Malfoy’s basement felt a bit too bright and sunny considering the situation.

Audio is magnificent.

The edit worked very well for me all in all, but there were some stuff, good and IMHO less good that should be mentioned:

* The Harry Potter title appeared twice (just before Snape enters the story and after Nagini has a snack). The second one felt redundant.

* I loved how a bitter Ron turns of the light in the tent, cutting short Harry and Hermiones discussion about the sword of Godric Gryffindor and his line afterwards then a swift cut.

* When Harry is pulled out of the icy water by Ron, the conversation kinda reveals that Ron has been gone, why else would Harry be so surprised? Perhaps adding an “always the tone of surprise” could fix it?

As a fan of the book, I prefer the theatrical version, but for a quick fix or paired with a shorter part 2 this edit is excellent. I give this a 9.5/10.

Thank you to Geminigod and Emphatic for their reviews and to everyone else who enjoyed the Easter Egg. :)

Geminigod, I had quite a bit of fun creating the Lumos! special feature, and I'm really glad you enjoyed it. It started off as just a split screen comparison but became almost a short animated feature. :)

Emphatic, the first title before Snape arrives was the "WB" logo. You may have thought it was the title because, well, that is where the title usually is in the the Theatrical Version.

Thanks, again, everyone!

Part 38 and part 41 got a "file not found" in JDownloader. Anybody have them possibly?

EDIT:Never mind.
Googled the file name of the missing files and they came up first thing in the search. Just had to extract manually and delete segmented rar files without JDownloader.

addiesin said:
Part 38 and part 41 got a "file not found" in JDownloader. Anybody have them possibly?

EDIT:Never mind.
Googled the file name of the missing files and they came up first thing in the search. Just had to extract manually and delete segmented rar files without JDownloader.

Glad to hear it worked out and that I didn't have to re-upload the files. I hope you enjoy the edit!

I actually do have a version two of this edit that takes into consideration quite a few of the helpful critques I received in addition to further refining the action and dialogue to make them my own. It's drastically different, including a new opening. But that will be exclusively connected to Part 2. ;-)

I have two other edits secretly in the works, as well. So there is no certain release date. And I'll leave it at that...

Well I really enjoyed this edit and showed two friends tonight and they loved it too. Well done, fast-paced. They didn't know what was missing and the only reason I know is because I've been watching harry potter movies and listening to the audiobooks nonstop in my free time to flood myself with the HP universe and start a full set of edits. Not typical behavior.

All I missed that was cut was the Obliviate stuff. I actually really thought that was a good maturing moment for the characters, but the movie flows really well.

addiesin said:
Well I really enjoyed this edit and showed two friends tonight and they loved it too. Well done, fast-paced. They didn't know what was missing and the only reason I know is because I've been watching harry potter movies and listening to the audiobooks nonstop in my free time to flood myself with the HP universe and start a full set of edits. Not typical behavior.

All I missed that was cut was the Obliviate stuff. I actually really thought that was a good maturing moment for the characters, but the movie flows really well.

Really happy to hear you three enjoyed it. And I hope it gave you some good ideas for your edits! :)

This edit is available again on Rapidshare. The SL DVD DLC has been submitted to info and should be there soon.

Back
Top Bottom