• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 1: The 90 Minute Wicked Edition

mya911 said:
Same here :( This would be my first fanedit-review and it would be great to get the missing part. Thank you

Sorry for the hassle. Part 28 became corrupted after less than a week of being uploaded. A new .dlc was created and submitted and should be available now.

I'll send you a PM shortly with a corrected Part 28.

Thank you for your patience, and I hope you enjoy!

Any update on the AVCHD/bluray versions?

Kevinicus said:
Any update on the AVCHD/bluray versions?

The AVCHD release has been completed and was going to be uploaded yesterday, but I've been receiving a "video underflow" error when trying to create the .iso out of DVD Architect Pro 5.0. It is apparently a known bug within this version that forces all Blu-ray projects with a bitrate above 18 to 25 Mbps to be re-encoded, and I'm trying to troubleshoot.

Would anyone know if version Pro 5.2 has the same bug, or was this fixed?

Edit: Well, I checked my settings and I screwed up on one of the encoding options...I have to re-render the feature. :-(

As soon as that is done, it's simply a matter of plugging it into the menu. Probably will be uploaded late Sunday to early Monday...

AEmovieguy said:
The lack of fondness I have for my own voice has been a major factor in my struggle, as well. Needs more bass. ;-)
I feel ya, but that's easily fixed. I once recorded a message for a San Francisco Chronicle podcast, then dropped my voice down several levels in Audacity to something that was on the rumbling side of the human spectrum for sure, but not quite impossible. The podcasters fell for it, though, and said that I had "some nice pipes"! :lol:

Gaith said:
I feel ya, but that's easily fixed. I once recorded a message for a San Francisco Chronicle podcast, then dropped my voice down several levels in Audacity to something that was on the rumbling side of the human spectrum for sure, but not quite impossible. The podcasters fell for it, though, and said that I had "some nice pipes"! :lol:

:)

On a :-( note: I've started the new encode of the main feature. It will take about 26 hours. Then it will take 6 hours to upload the finished .iso. So the AVCHD will be up Monday morning, assuming DVD Architect plays nice tomorrow evening after feeding it an encode with Geminigod's settings.

Only 6 hours to upload? Perhaps I should get a premium account because it takes me about a day to upload a SL DVD, 2 days for an DL or AVCHD, and 4-5 days for a blu-ray.

On the other hand it generally doesn't take anymore than 12 hours or so to encode my movies in HD.

Kevinicus said:
Only 6 hours to upload? Perhaps I should get a premium account because it takes me about a day to upload a SL DVD, 2 days for an DL or AVCHD, and 4-5 days for a blu-ray.

On the other hand it generally doesn't take anymore than 12 hours or so to encode my movies in HD.

I actually have a free mega-upload account. When I first started uploading the SL DVD for the Wicked Edition, it told me that it would take upwards of a day or more to complete, but then I downloaded a program called Mega Manager. Now I can upload 4 parts at a time and in about 15 minutes (~16 parts per hour).

You once sent a message to me saying that you would upload the theatrical version of Deathly Hallows Part 1 with all the color-corrections you made in your "Wicked Edition," and that it would be before the release of Deathly Hallows Part 2. Are you still planning on it?

AEmovieguy, could you also PM with the working download link for Part 28?

I've been looking forward to watching this fanedit of yours before Part 2 comes out.

Thanks.

AEmovieguy said:
but I've been receiving a "video underflow" error

I tried to warn ya. :) Architect 5.2 is no better.

Hope the next encode goes well! [Gem impatiently taps his foot in eager anticipation]

Editroid said:
You once sent a message to me saying that you would upload the theatrical version of Deathly Hallows Part 1 with all the color-corrections you made in your "Wicked Edition," and that it would be before the release of Deathly Hallows Part 2. Are you still planning on it?

I second this too, AEmovieguy, once you get the rest of the Wicked Edition fixed/uploaded. While I thoroughly enjoyed the new fanedit, I especially liked the enhanced/"fixed" color in this release....would love to see it in the full edition :)

I'm guessing the admins aren't too hip to this idea. I would PM AEmovieguy with these requests and coordinate in private. Things like color correction is a bit of a gray area when it comes to how one officially defines an "edit", but I know what Frink would say...:p

I really would like to talk to you about Deathly Hallows Part 1, but you still haven't answered my messages.

BTW, did you see Sunarep's review of the Wicked Edition? I think that you should take his advice if you ever make a second version of it.

geminigod said:
I'm guessing the admins aren't too hip to this idea. I would PM AEmovieguy with these requests and coordinate in private. Things like color correction is a bit of a gray area when it comes to how one officially defines an "edit", but I know what Frink would say...:p
My guess is that a color correction ONLY would not qualify for the site, and discussion would need to be limited to PM as g-god said. I will verify with admin, however...

Yep, I think I can say that color correction only is not considered as a fanedit.
The edit needs to have several cuts that change the movie or else it would not be allowed.

Even the great reconstruction of the theatrical cut of Empire strikes back (with color correction) by Adywan is not listed on .info

To say the truth there are some exented fanedits that only have one or two minutes added and that were allowed, but just speaking for myself, I feel it's already a bit on the edge.

TMBTM said:
Yep, I think I can say that color correction only is not considered as a fanedit.
The edit needs to have several cuts that change the movie or else it would not be allowed.

Even the great reconstruction of the theatrical cut of Empire strikes back (with color correction) by Adywan is not listed on .info

To say the truth there are some exented fanedits that only have one or two minutes added and that were allowed, but just speaking for myself, I feel it's already a bit on the edge.

Well hopefuly AEmoveguy would add-in the deleted scenes, in addition to the color correction, maybe then qualifying it as a fan edit? Although I guess we do already have an extended version on .info, though not having all of the deleted scenes.. :/

In the interest of full disclosure, please allow me to tell you all the horrible mistakes I’ve made when preparing this release… it has been a learning experience…

Monday through Wednesday of last week, I had been trying to do a Commentary track. Around Tuesday afternoon (July 5th), I scrapped this in favor of a text commentary. On Wednesday, I realized that my text commentary, while providing quite a few valuable tidbits about all the edits, was a bunch of defensive rambling and cheesy jokes; thus, the text commentary was scrapped as well. So after wasting three days on a commentary that was not to be, I decided to construct the DL DVD and AVCHD for upload last Friday.

I actually uploaded the full DL DVD last Friday while preparing the AVCHD. Upon completion of recreating the menus of the DVD releases in DVD architect for the AVCHD, I got the dreaded error when trying to create the .iso for export. It was then that I realized that I hadn’t heeded Geminigod’s most important setting: GOP!

I had been using a different program called Xvid4PSP and didn’t feel like learning Megui, but now in the interest of full compatabiliy, I downloaded Megui and used Geminigod’s settings to a tee. Instead of using Multi-Hexagonal Mostion Estimation search (which would have only taken 14 hours to encode), being the perfectionist I am, I used Exhaustive search (26 hour encode for arguably 1% improvement in quality). 26 hours later (this past Sunday, July 10th), I had a beautiful new file that DVD Architect created a .iso for without flaw.

As I was about to patch this .iso with AVCHDpatcher, I then realized that I had set vbv buffersize to 30000 and maxrate to 40000. Now these settings would be fine on an actual Blu-ray, allowing for a maximum bitrate of 40 Mbps with a few peaks above that. AVCHD is a DVD format. Blu-ray specifications require all players to be capable of reading DVD at 3x its regular transfer rate. Therefore, in the interest of compatibility with most Blu-ray players, the overall bitrate shouldn’t exceed ~30-33Mbps. To play it safe, most professionals recommend sticking to 2x DVD speeds (~18 Mbps maxrate).

So I encoded the main feature again this past Sunday to early Monday, as I got over myself and used Multi-Hexagonal Search (14 hours), in addition to a maxrate of 17350 to allow headroom for the 640 Dolby Digital track. So yesterday, I re-encoded all of the menus and special features with these new GOP and vbv settings.

For 12 hours last night I struggled to troubleshoot an unknown error when rendering out of DVD architect. It would consistently freeze or crash. I’d re-encode this, re-encode that, change this setting, and change that. The error remained the same, and “the reason for the error could not be determined.” Finally, I decided to uninstall and then re-install DVD Architect, I still got the same error.

I shut down my computer… I had been emotionally compromised and relieved myself of duty…

..but then… for some reason… a glimmer of hope appeared behind my eyes… I turned the computer back on, and, sure enough, DVD Architect rendered the .iso!!! Wicked!

I was filled with joy and quickly followed the patching procedure to make the menus system compatible in AVCHD specifications. Everything was well. I popped in my shiny new DL 8.5 GB DVD disc and…!!!!

I realized my biggest gaffe of all:
DL DVD: 8.15 GB
SL DVD: 4.39 GB

This fanedit truly was my first time dealing with DVD burning… and I didn’t know. The marketing machine had screwed me. I finally had everything in order and I come to find out that I needed to cut down on 400 Mb… couldn’t cut down on the special features or the promised 640 Dolby Digital track… I had to re-encode the main feature at a lower bitrate (9 Mbps vs. 9.6 Mbps).
Additionally, the DL DVD release that I uploaded but hadn’t submitted to fanedit.org needs the main feature re-encoded, too… AND, during the process of correcting part 28 of the SL DVD, I decided to try HCencoder for the first time, which I set to fill up about 4.5 GB…
So where does that leave everything now?

AVCHD release:
5 hours left to encode (out of 14), 6 hours to upload - - The .dlc will be up very early Wednesday morning.

DL DVD release:
5 hours to encode, 6 hours to upload – The .dlc will be up late Wednesday.

SL DVD Release:
5 hours to encode, 3 hours to upload – The corrected, corrected .dlc will be available very early Thursday morning.

Editroid, the color-corrected theatrical will be a barebones DL AVCHD release, and I will be encoding it on a separate computer. Expect it uploaded very late Wednesday or very early Thursday at the latest. This is not an official fanedit.org release, but it is a special request by Editroid. If anyone else is interested, please private message me.

To top it all off, there is a thunderstorm and the power might go out in the middle of the final AVCHD encode!!!

Wish me luck, I’m sorry for the delays, and take care!

-AEmovieguy-

Where and how will you upload the color-corrected theatrical version?

Please take discussion of color-corrected version to PM. Thank you.

Back
Top Bottom