• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 1: The 90 Minute Wicked Edition

AEmovieguy

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 1: The 90 Minute Wicked Edition

HP7PT1WEPoster-2.png

"Don't Hesitate."

An exciting 90 minute version of Deathly Hallows Part 1 that does away with four inconsequential subplots, some extraneous lines and scenes, and all but 10 minutes of camping, in the pursuit of a more whimsical, action-adventure oriented beginning to Harry Potter's grand movie finale.

Fanedit Film Name: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 1 – The 90 Minute Wicked Edition
Faneditor Name: AEmovieguy
Original Film Name: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 1
Studio Name: Warner Brothers
Genre: Fantasy/Adventure
Franchise: Harry Potter
Original Running Time: 145 minutes (w/o credits: 134 minutes)
Original Release Date: November 19th, 2010
Fanedit Running Time: 103 minutes (w/o credits: 92 minutes)
Fanedit Release Date: June 17th, 2011
Amount of time cut: 42 minutes

Intention: A focused, more broadly entertaining Deathly Hallows Part 1 narrative, satisfying casual fans of the Harry Potter movie series and maintaining its opening Act’s momentum. A more magical, action/adventure cut, as opposed to the original’s more introspective approach. To be viewed as the first exciting 90 minute hook of a three and a half hour single movie finale.

Edit Details:
- Video levels restored to match the look of the previous films
- New Opening: Snape’s meeting in Malfoy Manor opens the film.
- New Mirror Shard Introduction: Harry finds the Mirror Shard in Sirius’ room

- 4 major subplots removed:
1. Bathilda Bagshot
2. Godric’s Hollow
3. Locket’s “One-Ring” Properties
4. Ron Leaving
-- Ron’s struggle is now an internal one, dealing with his sense of self-worth compared to Harry and Hermione, both of whom now quickly figure out 3 of Dumbledore’s clues and carry the team through the first half of the film. Ron begins to naturally feel guilty (not angry) about being a burden for Harry and Hermione. The Locket scene is where Ron proves himself a valuable member of the trio; a figurative ‘return’ to form.

- 10 minutes of Camping/Middle restructured: Only 10 minutes of camping separates the end of the ‘Ron Splinched’ scene and the beginning of the ‘Silver Doe/Locket’ scene. All lines directly referring to excised scenes (Bathilda Bagshot, Godric’s Hollow, and Ron Leaving) and important plot points to the narrative of Part 2 (such as, “I open at the close”) have been fit within the new continuity.

- Snatchers are no longer smarter than Bellatrix and the Malfoys when it comes to recognizing Harry.

- Scenes are cut that didn’t work (Zipping up Ginny) and/or that are unnecessary/over-explanatory/retreads (Ron confronts Harry at the Burrow).

- Trimmed/re-worked some lines and shots within sequences that were too long, unnecessary, and/or deflated the scene. (Examples: Dobby’s speech is now one line; Bellatrix’s slow motion knife is gone)

Cut-List:
- Cut Minister of Magic Opening

- Cut Obliviate Montage

- Malfoy Manor deatheater meeting opens film

- Cut Pius and Voldemort’s exchange (replaced with single shot of Pius being threatened by Nagini after Voldemort says “You will, I think, prove most useful, Pius.”)

- Cut Bellatrix’s “I would like to volunteer myself for this task”

- Cut Pettigrew’s “Yes, my lord”

- Replaced: Bellatrix’s pouty-face reaction with a more attentive/fanatical response

- Cut a few frames during Lucius and Voldemort’s exchange and before Voldemort moves Charity Burbage

- Cut Dumbledore flashback

- Cut Mirror shard

- Cut Harry's first "no" reaction to the polyjuice potion

- Madeye cuts off Mundungus' line "Always been a huge..."

- Tightened: Gap between Hagrid’s “Can’t do that, Harry” and “Madeye’s orders”

- Cut a few frames during the Motorbike chase

- Cut the shot of Molly anxious in the Burrow

- Cut a few frames throughout the arrival of the Order of the Phoenix to the burrow

- Cut Hermione taking off Ron’s glasses

- Cut George’s “I’m ‘holey’” joke

- Reworked: Bill Weasely now says “Mundungus took one look at Voldemort, disaparated” before “Madeye’s dead”

- Cut scene of Harry sneaking out/Ron confronting him

- Cut scene of Ginny being (as one lady at the midnight screening put it) “slut[ty]”

- Cut Harry’s “To what do we owe the pleasure, Minister?”

- Cut Minister’s “I think we both know the answer to that question;” now he just says

“Mr. Potter…”

- Cut Ron’s “Brilliant…what is it?”

- Added: Humorous reaction shot of the Minister to Ron’s “Babbity Rabbity and the Cackling Stump”

- Cut Auntie Muriel Weasely and Harry’s lines naming Bathilda Bagshot

- Reworked: Patronus now says “Minister of magic is dead” before “The Ministry has

fallen”

- Cut a few frames during wedding attack and bus dodge

- Cut Hermione’s line about her parents taking her to Shaftesbury Avenue when she was

little

- Cut a few frames of the trio entering the London alley

- Cut Hermione’s “That’ll be the books;” scene ends on her “Always the tone of surprise”

- Reworked: The waitress no longer takes the trio’s order in the diner scene

- Cut recognizing the death-eaters and obliviating one’s memory

- Tightened: Trio’s exchange after the diner scene to add urgency

- Cut dust Dumbledore in the hallway

- Cut Bathilda Bagshot’s book in Sirius’ room

- Added: Discovery of Mirror Shard in Sirius’ room

- Reworked: R.A.B.’s note line starts 2 seconds earlier during the previous scene

- Cut a few frames during the Kreacher confrontation

- Cut Kreacher’s “Mundungus…” before “Munnnnndungus Fletcher”

- Cut Hermione teaching Ron Piano

- Tightened: Gap between two of Hermione’s lines to Harry about snitch “Flesh

memories”

- Cut Hermione’s pre-Ministry of Magic pep talk about “just try and blend in”

- Tightened: Whole Ministry of Magic sequence for added humor, urgency, and tension.

- Cut Ron’s “Long Story…”

- Added: Deleted scene discussing what the trio knows about the horcruxes and Ron

revealing that Voldemort’s name said aloud is ‘taboo’ (read: traceable)

- Cut Hermione’s “What are you doing” and Harry’s “We have to keep it safe. We’ll take

turns.”

- Cut Harry growing agitated with Hermione because of wearing the locket

- Reworked: Harry now kisses the snitch, reads its inscription, and yells Hermione’s name

just before her encounter with the Snatchers

- Reworked: Harry and Hermione discuss “I open at the close” on the way back to the

tent, and Hermione reveals that she found a symbol inked into “The Tales of Beetle the

Bard.” All the while, Ron begins to feel worthless and lies down.

- Reworked: Hermione discovers why Dumbledore left Harry the sword of Gryffindor; scene ends after Ron’s “…the sword was stolen.” (Omitting Ron’s fight with Harry and his departure)

- Reworked: Radio montage now comes after they find out the purpose of the sword.

- Added: Shots of Harry seeing “Dumbledore” in the mirror shard and Hermione leaving her perfume-scented scarf wrapped around a tree during the Radio Montage.

-Reworked: Radio Montage ends after Harry overhears Hermione’s “None of us do” line, and the scene cuts to their new tent sight in the snow after the locket noise peaks.

-Reworked: The tent in the snow fades to black.

-Added: Dumbledore falling flashback during faint “trust me,” before cutting to Harry in the Silver doe scene.

- Cut lines referring to Ron’s departure during the Locket scene

- Tightened: A few shots during the Locket scene

-Reworked: 2nd half of the Locket Confrontation completely reworked so that the naked make out illusion is a last chance effort to sway Ron when he’s already begun to charge, alleviating the gratuitous impression given by the 5 second lingering in original scene. Locket now grows desperate after Harry yells. “Ron it’s lying,” and the scene is tenser due to uncertainty of if Ron is about to kill Harry.

- Reworked: Removed references to Ron’s return during the following scene where Harry and Ron show Hermione the destroyed horcrux. Hermione is now agitated due to her jealousy with the ‘coincidences’ which allowed Ron and Harry to find and destroy what her logic and time could not. Plus, Ron was supposed to still be sick.

- Added: Ron now says “Always the tone of surprise” at the end of telling Hermione about destroying the locket (a callback to the two times they said it to each other previously in the film).

- Cut Ball of Light conversations, but kept the shooting flame in the latter scene.

- Swapped: Hermione’s “It keeps cropping up” and “In ‘Beetle the Bard’”

- Cut Hermione’s “In the graveyard at Godric’s Hollow”

- Reworked: Mr. Lovegood’s reaction to Harry Potter at his front door is more immediate

- Cut Harry straining to speak and his “Actually”

- Cut Harry’s “We were wondering…”

- Cut Ron and Hermione’s argument about “Twilight”

- Cut Hermione asking Mr. Lovegood about the gravestone from Godric’s Hollow

- Cut Harry’s “Who took her, sir?”

- Cut a few frames in the Snatcher chase for a slightly more understandable sequence of events

- Cut Dumbledore’s fire tornado during Harry’s final vision

-Reworked: Bellatrix now exclaims “NO…” instead of “Get Draco…” And the following scene starts with Draco’s “What’s wrong with his face,” followed by Bellatrix’s “A stinging jinx… was it you, dear!?” Smarter Villain=More imposing.

- Flipped the shot of Bellatrix on top of Hermione from right to left for better continuity with the shots before and after it

- Cut Dobby’s “Sir? I like her VERY much”

- Quickened: Ron’s “Like Hell!” reaction

- Reworked: Dobby no longer gives a speech, only says “Dobby has no master!”

- Cut slow motion knife; knife is thrown and goes in the wormhole

- Cut Harry’s “Help me!”

- Reworked: The music now drowns out Dobby’s “Harry Potter;” scene changes before Luna kneels by Harry.

- Reworked: The music now peaks right as Voldemort fires his lightning into the sky, making it feel more climactic.
Technical Info:
-DVD Decrypter 8 used to burn Blu-ray files to hard drive
- TSMuxer used to piece together the film files, then to separate the audio from the video for encoding
-Trial version of Cineform NeoScene used to convert Blu-ray’s 1080p AVC encode to intermediary, I-frame only format for editing.
-Eac3to with Arcsoft DTS Decoder used to convert Blu-ray’s 5.1 DTS-HD Master Audio track to Lossless FLAC files.
-Sony Vegas Pro 10 editing software

Release information:
June 17th, 2011

Available Now:
Single Layer DVD with Dolby Digital 5.1 audio, Motion Menus, and Scene Selection

Coming Soon:
* AVCHD disc = 720p dual layer/ Dolby 5.1 at 640kbps with Special Features and Motion Menus
* Dual Layer DVD with Motion Menus and Special Features

Special Features:
-Motion Menus
-Scene Selection
-*Teaser Trailer
-*Lumos! - A Level Correction Comparison of the Blu-ray to the Fan-edit
- *Deleted Scene: Extended Obliviate Montage
- *Trailer for Deathly Hallows Part 2
- *Easter Egg

*Dual-layer DVD and AVCHD Exclusive

geminigod

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Congrats on getting this approved. I will have to check this out as you seem to be on a similar page with me in your approach to this.

On a semi-related note, how did the trial version of Cineform NeoScene work out for you? I don't know much about it but sounded interesting.

Also, you may want to chat with L8wrtr to update the link from the review page to this page instead of the "in the works" page.

Ps: Strong work on the trailer.

PPS: As soon as an AVCHD or blu-ray version is available I will download. (If you are using DVD Architect pro 5.2 to make the bluray/AVCHD format for the first time, I highly recommend you send me a PM. I wasted a couple weeks of my life and many discs troubleshooting an issue with that program.

AEmovieguy

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
geminigod said:
Congrats on getting this approved. I will have to check this out as you seem to be on a similar page with me in your approach to this.

Thank you. I haven't read the actual book, but I had hoped the tone of the Deathly Hallows films would be a callback to the lighter, whimsical, action/adventure/mystery spirit of the first four films while still having some of the darkest happenings of the series, creating a shock by contrast. When the whole film seems to take itself too dark (in the case of the image, literally) and seriously, there's no contrast when bad things happen to the heroes or when they're in danger. I was also hoping for a tightly paced, action-packed, "this is it" finale. This cut definitely takes away some of the burden/introspection of the original film and replaces it with a tighter flow, intrepid heroes, and fun. You could say that I turned it into the first half of a three hour "popcorn flick" version of Deathly Hallows, and I wouldn't disagree. Hope that's okay.

geminigod said:
On a semi-related note, how did the trial version of Cineform NeoScene work out for you? I don't know much about it but sounded interesting.

It went very well. I had previously started cutting the film using the original .avc file from the Blu-ray, and it would consistently crash Sony Vegas after five minutes of cutting. I had worked with Lossless encoded HD files before and it was never very smooth or reliable. I heard that NeoScene was great for playback, being I-frame only, and color/level correction, which I intended to do a lot of.

The Cineform file size came in just under four times the size of the original .avc file (~70GB as opposed to ~18GB). Cineform claims Neoscene is visually lossless though not actually so. I brought the original file and the Cineform into Sony Vegas, one on a video track above the other, and then I zoomed in, switched back and forth, and scrutinized. Though not lossless, it fooled me, as I couldn't find a macroblock difference after an hour of comparing different frames throughout the film. I also never once had a crash while editing with it.

I don't have any future edits planned, so I won't be buying the full version soon, but I'd defnitely recommend it to others for editing. You could even create a lossless encode and replace the NeoScene video on the timeline with it after you're done.

geminigod said:
Also, you may want to chat with L8wrtr to update the link from the review page to this page instead of the "in the works" page.

Thank you, again!

geminigod said:
Ps: Strong work on the trailer.

:)

geminigod said:
PPS: As soon as an AVCHD or blu-ray version is available I will download. (If you are using DVD Architect pro 5.2 to make the bluray/AVCHD format for the first time, I highly recommend you send me a PM. I wasted a couple weeks of my life and many discs troubleshooting an issue with that program.

I am working with DVD Architect Pro 5.2. PM coming.

geminigod

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Yeah, editing in avc is an even worse idea than editing in mpeg2, though this sounds like an interesting work-around by converting it into entirely I-frames. I am a strong advocate for editing in lagarith or huffyyuv, but this cineform thing sounds like an interesting alternative. I did numerous re-encodes on my edit to get it right, and thus the overall editing and visual quality achieved on my edit would not have been possible with a lossy workflow.

AEmovieguy

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
The Dual-layer DVD should be available by this Tuesday, June 28th, and the Dual-layer 720p AVCHD disc should be up by that Friday, July 1st. A Blu-ray release is also in the early stages and may follow later in the first week of July.

It is possible these dates could move up to earlier in the week, if everything goes smoothly, but I've allowed room for troubleshooting.

All three releases will feature the same motion menus and scene selection as that showcased on the Single-layer DVD. Additionally, they will include the following special features:

1.) Lumos!: A short comparison of the original video levels of the Blu-ray versus the corrections made for the Wicked Edition
2.) Deleted Scene: Extended Obliviate Montage
3.) Teaser Trailer
4) Final Trailer for Deathly Hallows Part 2
5.) A Special Surprise (Easter egg)

All features will be at the same resolution/quality as the respective main feature on the disc.

The AVCHD and Blu-ray will feature a higher bitrate 640kbps Dolby Digital 5.1 track, and the Blu-ray wil also include an Uncompressed LPCM option.

spence

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I'm having some issues downloading this from .info. Parts 22 and 28 appear to be corrupt. I've downloaded them 4 times. Any help with this? I'm looking forward to watching the edit!

AEmovieguy

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
spence said:
I'm having some issues downloading this from .info. Parts 22 and 28 appear to be corrupt. I've downloaded them 4 times. Any help with this? I'm looking forward to watching the edit!

Will PM you the direct links, Spence.

Release Update:

All upcoming versions are delayed two days due to personal scheduling conflicts during the preparation process. Sincerest apologies for the hold-up as I know a few of you are waiting for the DL and HD versions before downloading this fanedit.

The DL DVD will be uploaded by noon tomorrow and the AVCHD release will follow sometime this weekend. The Blu-ray will still arrive on an unspecified day next week.

Take care!

-AEmovieguy-

codefinder

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I'm also having problems with Part 28, getting an error: "C:\Users\**\Downloads\HP7PT1SL1.part28.rar: The archive is either in unknown format or damaged"

Seems that Part 22 is working fine for me though :/

codefinder

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Well I was able to extract all of the parts, but still received the error for part 28. Despite that, I was able to watch the first part of the VOB file, right up to the Ron gets splinched part. Pretty awesome edit so far! :)

Sunarep

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
28 has a problem as well when I open the archive... waiting in eager anticipation ;)

AEmovieguy

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
*Doc Brown Scream*:oops:

Would a direct link to part 28 work or do I need to re-upload that part and create a new .DLC?

I'm currently in the middle of uploading the Dual-layer DVD, which will take all night. (Delayed due to having to re-encode all the special features and rebuild the menus from scratch because multiple DVD Architect errors :shock:.)

EDIT: Downloaded Part 28. Same error. I'll re-upload this part in the morning once the DL DVD is uploaded. A new .dlc file will be sent to the proper authorities, as well.

codefinder

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Don't really know how long .dlc's take to work, but maybe just a direct link for now? It seems to download just fine in the .dlc container, just doesn't extract correctly :/

AEmovieguy

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
codefinder said:
Don't really know how long .dlc's take to work, but maybe just a direct link for now? It seems to download just fine in the .dlc container, just doesn't extract correctly :/

I'll re-upload it now in a separate browser. The .dlc correction will be sent to Fanedit.org early tomorrow along with the one for DL DVD release.

codefinder

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Awesome. Without the part 28 I've been able to watch the first two .VOB files (via VLC player, with PS3 Media Server to my TV) and so far this edit is pretty awesome. A shame the movie stops right at the start of the epic Harry Potter and the Camping Adventures scenes :p

STANKPAC

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
codefinder said:

Might be because you are just re-downloading part 28 and hoping it extracts. It doesn't work like that. Once one file is damaged or corrupt, the person has to re-zip and re-upload all the files again. Meaning, that you have to re-download all the fresh new links all over again, not just part 28. I know it's a hassle but that's just the way it is. ;-)

AEmovieguy

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I've just re-uploaded part 28 adding "v2" to the file name so that mega upload wouldn't use the old file. STANKPAC, would deleting "v2" from the file name work as temporary solution for those who have already downloaded all the other parts.

I'll re-upload all the files tomorrow, either way.

STANKPAC

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
AEmovieguy said:
I've just re-uploaded part 28 adding "v2" to the file name so that mega upload wouldn't use the old file. STANKPAC, would deleting "v2" from the file name work as temporary solution for those who have already downloaded all the other parts.

I'll re-upload all the files tomorrow, either way.

If I remember correctly, that wouldn't help either. I actually was thinking the same thing when I had a similar problem with my edits, switching them back to MU. I think all the files have a certain signature linked to that particular group of files or something to that effect. Meaning, whatever you called part 28, you can upload multiple files with the same exact filename and it won't make a difference because the original part 28 was linked to the original files uploaded. The only solution is just to re-zip and re-upload them all. I know it's a pain in the ass. Good luck! :)

AEmovieguy

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Thanks, STANKPAC. I will re-upload the whole SL DVD tomorrow. My apologies to all those who had all the other parts downloaded already.

DL DVD is uploading now.

STANKPAC said:
I know it's a pain in the ass. Good luck! :)

:icon_lol:

codefinder

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I just downloaded AEmovieguy's fixed part 28, removed the extra "v2" on the end of the filename, and successfully extracted the rest of the already-downloaded files with the added/fixed part 28! So I'm pretty sure you won't have to re-upload and re-download all of the other parts. The additionally-extracted .VOB files (containing the second half of the movie) seem to play fine in VLC Player. I'll be testing out the whole movie via PS3 Media Server tonight :)

codefinder

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Actually, I think I'll go ahead and burn the files to DVD to try it out, as that's really the main point of uploading the fan edit in this format :p So far so good in Nero Recode :)

Top Bottom