• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

GODDAMMITSOMUCH

Dammit, Firefox, don't just redesign my whole browser without asking permission or anything. Took me forty minutes to find the add-ons and fiddle around to restore my classic look. I'm one of those guys who's still running the XP-style Windows look, for Pete's sake. :-o

It's not your browser, you're just leasing it. :p

Gaith said:
Dammit, Firefox, don't just redesign my whole browser without asking permission or anything. Took me forty minutes to find the add-ons and fiddle around to restore my classic look. I'm one of those guys who's still running the XP-style Windows look, for Pete's sake. :-o

How did you get the previous look back? And do you know how I can get the Status-4-Evar add-on to display highlighted links again?

Edit: I see now that the highlighted links now show up at the end of the address bar. Any way to get them to show up in the status bar again?

Now that I've gotten used to the new look it doesn't really bother me. I managed to fix the Title Bar so that everything between the Title Bar and the tabs isn't all blue, and it looks pretty much the same, for the way I had it set up anyways. My only concern really was the URL hightlighting. Wish I could figure out how to move it to the Status Bar, but for now I can live with it. I don't know why Firefox always forces us to upgrade to the newest version. There should be an option to disable auto-updating.

Back in October my dog started having accidents around the house. The first time was on Halloween. I remember the date because she was sleeping on my bed while I was watching the original Halloween. I noticed the wet spot when I turned on the lights after the movie so I could pop in Halloween 2. After that she'd have the occasional accident, always in her sleep. A few times she'd empty her bladder, but mostly she'd wake up and realize that she was leaking and get up so I could put her outside. She was put on medication, but it didn't help. When that prescription was done she was put on another medication. That one did the trick. Her prescription ran out a couple of weeks ago and she's started leaking a bit again.

She had an appointment at the vet on Monday and they took a urine sample and a blood sample. They ran some tests and my sister, who's a vet tech and works at the vet that I go to, came over today to tell me the results. It turns out that she's got renal failure. Luckily though it was caught while in the early stages, but unfortunately there's really nothing we can do. I asked her how long can I expect her to live and she said that because they caught it early she may live another year or two. She just turned 14, and living to 15-16 is a nice long life for a dog, but still, knowing that this disease will most likely kill her within the next year or two is really killing me.

sorry buddy. It's heartbreaking to see a beloved pet in declining health. :(

My laptop died. At least I think it died. All I'm getting is a prompt screen telling me that it can't start correctly and I've got the choice of starting in Safe Mode, Safe Mode With Networking, Safe Mode With Prompting, From the last something or other, and Start Normally. No matter which option I choose it just brings me back to the same screen. So, is it dead or is there hope? And is my hard drive safe? Meaning if I were to remove it and insert it into another laptop would everything still be there and available to me?

This may be a stupid question, but I'm not a techie so forgive me, but are hard drive universal? Meaning are laptop hard drives and desktop hard drives the same?

Frantic Canadian said:
My laptop died. At least I think it died. All I'm getting is a prompt screen telling me that it can't start correctly and I've got the choice of starting in Safe Mode, Safe Mode With Networking, Safe Mode With Prompting, From the last something or other, and Start Normally. No matter which option I choose it just brings me back to the same screen. So, is it dead or is there hope? And is my hard drive safe? Meaning if I were to remove it and insert it into another laptop would everything still be there and available to me?

This may be a stupid question, but I'm not a techie so forgive me, but are hard drives universal? Meaning are laptop hard drives and desktop hard drives the same?

I don't know if this is of any help, but the laptop won't even turn on unless the adapter is connected to it and plugged in. If I unplug the adapter from the back of the laptop it turns off. Could this mean that the problem is the battery and not the laptop itself?

That makes it sound even worse!
You've got to start by isolating problems one-by-one. A battery problem will lead to the laptop turning off, not to a safe mode prompt. Safe mode means that it's not booting into windows, which means either a hardware or software fault.
Is there anything you changed recently? Any new program installed?
That *could* be a problem, but unlikely, since it won't even boot into safe mode.
Not booting into safe mode indicates corruption with windows itself, which probably means the culprit is your HDD. Take it out, pop it in a 2.5inch enclosure, and attach to another PC. Back that sucker up!

If you can, boot up the other pc from your attached drive - if you can get into safe mode there, then the problem lies elsewhere - could be your motherboard (most likely one of the capacitors).

Actually another thought - check to see if your RAM has become unseated. You can normally open the RAM (memory) area up to install extra RAM. If you dropped the laptop, it could have become unseated. Open it up, wiggle it around, push it down/across firmly.

Oh, and laptop drives are normally smaller (2.5") than desktop drives (3.5")

dangermouse said:
That makes it sound even worse!
You've got to start by isolating problems one-by-one. A battery problem will lead to the laptop turning off, not to a safe mode prompt. Safe mode means that it's not booting into windows, which means either a hardware or software fault.
Is there anything you changed recently? Any new program installed?
That *could* be a problem, but unlikely, since it won't even boot into safe mode.
Not booting into safe mode indicates corruption with windows itself, which probably means the culprit is your HDD. Take it out, pop it in a 2.5inch enclosure, and attach to another PC. Back that sucker up!

I haven't changed anything. No new programs added and none removed. I don't have an external HDD, but my brother does, so I'll see if he'll let me use the casing to test my hard drive.

dangermouse said:
Actually another thought - check to see if your RAM has become unseated. You can normally open the RAM (memory) area up to install extra RAM. If you dropped the laptop, it could have become unseated. Open it up, wiggle it around, push it down/across firmly.

I just checked the RAM area and the RAM is securely in place.

I should probably mention too that the laptop is 9 years old, and second-hand, so could it just have died of old age? :lol:

Frantic Canadian said:
II should probably mention too that the laptop is 9 years old, and second-hand, so could it just have died of old age? :lol:

holy shitballs. that is wayyyyyy past the expected lifespan of a laptop. rip the HDD out of it, and copy the files you need over to your next machine. You can get a SATA to USB adapter for pretty cheap.

New rule: If your computer is older than my oldest daughter (6), you must get rid of it.

TV's Frink said:
New rule: If your computer is older than my oldest daughter (6), you must get rid of it.

LOL, let's add that to the site rules page.

ThrowgnCpr said:
holy shitballs. that is wayyyyyy past the expected lifespan of a laptop. rip the HDD out of it, and copy the files you need over to your next machine. You can get a SATA to USB adapter for pretty cheap.

Yeah, a buddy of mine suggested a USB HUB Docking Station. I think I'll wait and see if my brother is willing to let me use the casing from his external hard drive first though. Why spend money when you don't have to, right? Do they sell external hard drive cases without the hard drive? That would probably be more useful to me than the Docking Station. I've already got a 4 port USB HUB and an SD/MMC card reader so all I'd really need it for would be for the SATA connection.

Back
Top Bottom