• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Vote now in wave 1 of the FEOTM Reboot!

GODDAMMITSOMUCH

Behind both laps, as well as all amps, I run small fans.
Helps dissipate the heat, especially when room temps go past 90.

Vultural said:

Google's most efficient data center has their "cold aisles" running at 95*F. There are cold aisles and hot aisles. Either all equipment faces in an aisle, or all equipment rears.

Google also has the most efficient data centers in the world, nearly 50% lower cooling costs than competitors.

Vultural said:

This is standard protocol at the ThrowgnCpr residence as well.

Why not just duct tape a vacuum hose to the back of the laptop where the fan is and turn the vacuum on? Get the vacuum to suck all the dirt and debris out. :lol:

KitKat can bite my shiny metal ass. First my outgoing phone call problem (not confirmed as a KitKat issue but cropped up the same weekend I updated), now this...

http://www.jrtstudio.com/blog/Android-KiKat-SD-Card-Write-Access

Even with 32 GB of internal storage, I only get around 24 GB free, and that's not enough for all my music. My 32 GB SD card is where I hold that music, and now my favorite app can't access it. Bite me, Google.

TV's Frink said:
KitKat can bite my shiny metal ass. First my outgoing phone call problem (not confirmed as a KitKat issue but cropped up the same weekend I updated), now this...

http://www.jrtstudio.com/blog/Android-KiKat-SD-Card-Write-Access

Even with 32 GB of internal storage, I only get around 24 GB free, and that's not enough for all my music. My 32 GB SD card is where I hold that music, and now my favorite app can't access it. Bite me, Google.

The moral of that story is not to use a popular chocolate bar to power your phone.

kitkat.jpg

Jelly Bean, Ice Cream Sandwich, Gingerbread...tasty treat operating systems haven't failed me before...

TV's Frink said:
Jelly Bean, Ice Cream Sandwich, Gingerbread...tasty treat operating systems haven't failed me before...

Android updates aren't held to as high a quality standard as other operating systems! Like Microsoft updates. I err on the side of caution about updating IOS, Android and OSX as well but I never think twice about a Microsoft update.

Like updating from 7 to 8? Or XP to Vista?

wayne.workman2012 said:
Android updates aren't held to as high a quality standard as other operating systems! Like Microsoft updates. I err on the side of caution about updating IOS, Android and OSX as well but I never think twice about a Microsoft update.

On that note, if you've got an iPhone 4S updating the iOS will in all likelyhood break your phone. So be warned before you do.

I know from recent experience that Apple are refusing to acknowlege that their hardware is at fault or that their software is at fault with this issue. Only that putting their new software onto their hardware reveals a pre-existing fault... which is your fault :oops:.

Your phone provider will also likely tell you that it is Apple's problem and they won't replace your handset either. However if you quote the law and threaten to take them to court they will eventually replace it free of charge.

TM2YC said:
On that note, if you've got an iPhone 4S updating the iOS will in all likelyhood break your phone. So be warned before you do.

I know from recent experience that Apple are refusing to acknowlege that their hardware is at fault or that their software is at fault with this issue. Only that putting their new software onto their hardware reveals a pre-existing fault... which is your fault :oops:.

Your phone provider will also likely tell you that it is Apple's problem and they won't replace your handset either. However if you quote the law and threaten to take them to court they will eventually replace it free of charge.

I also am very upset with apple's plan for backward compatibility... What plan am I talking about, you ask.... Exactly.

I can make a DOS 6.0 application run like a charm on windows 8.1, same idea goes for Linux.

Try to get a power PC app to run on OS X 10.7 or later... You can't. My school district has invested hundreds of thousands of dollars in educational applications that only work on 10.6 and older, which means as the world and internet continues, those iMacs we have that can't be updated from 10.6 to a newer version of OS X will become more and more useless in today's world, and can not run other more modern software because that software requires 10.7 or above.

Not to mention that since the "aluminum" series of Mac computers, they all use intel parts which means that the inherent superiority for graphics and video editing no longer exists. (Power PC chips were partially built to be application specific for video/graphics) so a core i5 running at 2 to 2.4ghz iMac with 8 gigs of DDR3 has absolutely no natural advantage in video editing or graphics processing over a PC that has an i5 running 2 to 2.4ghz with 8gigs of DDR3 ram.

But yet that spec'd iMac (in June 2013) would cost you 1200 dollars. A PC with the same components, complete with a 3 year extended warranty and operating system will run you about 650.

People are very upset about us replacing their Macs with PCs. Oh well.

The dog just completely destroyed my Star Wars and Superman bluray boxsets. Oh, and Avatar.

homer.bmp

njvc said:
The dog just completely destroyed my Star Wars and Superman bluray boxsets. Oh, and Avatar.

dog trying to send a message. Please watch theatrical versions of Star Wars.

20533_cooldog.jpg

Last month, my car spun out into a snowbank and another car hit it, just in front of the driver's side door. At the time, I was a little sore, and the car seemed a bit banged up, but it didn't seem like a big deal. Turns out the appraiser for the insurance company thinks there is over $1500 worth of damage to the car and, more importantly, my injuries have kept me from working for almost six weeks now. No more sick days for me until September, so I'm not getting paid, though I may eventually get partial payment through my short-term disability policy and/or no-fault. Still, right now I know for a fact that I won't come close to paying our monthly bills without significant help, and I'm missing extremely important time at work that I had hoped to use to lay the foundation for a possible (though not too likely, even before this) promotion. So yeah, not too happy...hope you guys have been well, at least!

:(

Sorry to hear that man, get better soon!

I'm very sorry to hear about your bad luck, hebrides. Car insurance woes are all too familiar, and a highly regarded acquaintance of mine is in a similar position in respect of work. I hope that matters improve soon.

get well soon, heb. where's the forum HEAL button?

Back
Top Bottom