• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot. More details on our policies, especially our Own the Source rule are available here. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Fan Edit Of The Year (FEOTY) 2021: and the WINNERS are...! here Congratulations!

Fallen Hero by Wraith

Wraith

Well-known member
Donor
Faneditor
Messages
1,772
Reaction score
1,652
Trophy Points
133
Hi
i started this edit about 3 years ago.
I had done the first 10 min. The idea was to take Gran Torino, shorten it by about 30min and drop in scenes from other Clint movies as if they were flashbacks of clints character in GT.
I also changed the structure of GT using the Carlitos way structure.
I got stuck coz I couldn't decide what to use. There is so much that could work
I also became fixated on the idea that this soldier became a cop in order to use the cop movies.
MISTAKE.
In writing my MATRIX essay the story revealed itself.
With the matrix edit at the disc authoring stage and the first 6 fringe movies completely story boarded and chopped up 60 eps ready for joining, I need an easier project.
This will be the next edit I complete as I tinker with the longer term FRINGE epic undertaking.
As Fringe is developed, I will parallel edit 3 other long term projects I have also planned.
I will not be discussing further details on this other than status updates. All I will say is it will be 2 hrs or mess, uses footage from 8 Clint movies and will be a single, coherant story.
This will be released in the summer after The Matrix re working .
W
 

Neglify

Well-known member
Messages
13,969
Reaction score
24
Trophy Points
123
Haha nice. For COPS Consecution I had thought about doing a little 13 minute short using Gran Torino as a frame and flashing back to the Dirty Harry days. Look forward to seeing how this develops.
 

Mark Moore

Well-known member
Faneditor
Messages
953
Reaction score
22
Trophy Points
28
Not that I've seen any of these films, but I once read somewhere that "Unforgiven" shows what eventually became of The Man With No Name. Maybe do some kind of mashup with those?
 

Neglify

Well-known member
Messages
13,969
Reaction score
24
Trophy Points
123
Mark Moore said:
Not that I've seen any of these films, but I once read somewhere that "Unforgiven" shows what eventually became of The Man With No Name. Maybe do some kind of mashup with those?

A guy tried that idea. There were too many rough cuts for it to be approved and he abandoned it. He hasn't come around here in 6 months so that's a shame. It was a great idea, maybe one day someone else can run with it.
 

Wraith

Well-known member
Donor
Faneditor
Messages
1,772
Reaction score
1,652
Trophy Points
133
There are 3 possible Mashup scenarios. clint has played Cops, Cowboys and soldiers.
Hes done a few other things but that is the core. You then need a wrapper. Gran Torino is the soldier wrapper, unforgivven could the cowboy wrapper...not sure there is a cop wrapper unless you re-use Gran torino but it will show.
STAY TUNED...
 

DominicCobb

Well-known member
Staff member
Faneditor
Messages
2,180
Reaction score
60
Trophy Points
68
I've been thinking recently that eventually I'll make Man With No Name edits of at least a couple Eastwood films (Unforgiven, High Plains Drifter), maybe more. This would mostly involve adding an Ennio Morricone score, but there'd be other things I'd cut to make them fit. It's an idea I've had for awhile, and I'd love to make it happen.
 

Wraith

Well-known member
Donor
Faneditor
Messages
1,772
Reaction score
1,652
Trophy Points
133
I'm already editing this. The first 10min test opening will be on my Matrix EDIT.
 

ranger613

Well-known member
Faneditor
Messages
1,106
Reaction score
17
Trophy Points
58
DominicCobb said:
I've been thinking recently that eventually I'll make Man With No Name edits of at least a couple Eastwood films (Unforgiven, High Plains Drifter), maybe more. This would mostly involve adding an Ennio Morricone score, but there'd be other things I'd cut to make them fit. It's an idea I've had for awhile, and I'd love to make it happen.
This sounds great, although the tone I feel is too different from the Leone Eastwood films vs the Eastwood Eastwood films. The former are more dramatic, romantic and filmic, whilst the latter are gritty, realistic, desaturated and have that death of the west vibe. Like, I'm not sure if the morricone soundtrack would mesh in with the unforgiven landscape, say. I'd opt for either doing a Leone mashup or, if it's the man with no name's fate we're trying to flesh out, I'd use high plains drifter, pale rider and unforgiven, with only brief flash/throwbacks to Leone/rawhide.

But in any case, I'd love to see the final product.

Another thought, what could work is showing the evolution of the character by having the "flashbacks" all sunny with morricone and the present day dark and gritty and almost scoreless. This would emphasize the changing times, the different look of things, the loss of the romance of the west, etc. And at the end merge the past with the present thematically by playing morricone on present day Eastwood.

Sorry just random ideas lol
 

ranger613

Well-known member
Faneditor
Messages
1,106
Reaction score
17
Trophy Points
58
Wraith said:
There are 3 possible Mashup scenarios. clint has played Cops, Cowboys and soldiers.
Hes done a few other things but that is the core. You then need a wrapper. Gran Torino is the soldier wrapper, unforgivven could the cowboy wrapper...not sure there is a cop wrapper unless you re-use Gran torino but it will show.
STAY TUNED...
Wow this is a seriously cool idea. Eastwood is one of my favorite actors, can't wait to see what you do with this. In any case is gonna be a fantastic meta experience [emoji4]
 

DominicCobb

Well-known member
Staff member
Faneditor
Messages
2,180
Reaction score
60
Trophy Points
68
ranger613 said:
This sounds great, although the tone I feel is too different from the Leone Eastwood films vs the Eastwood Eastwood films. The former are more dramatic, romantic and filmic, whilst the latter are gritty, realistic, desaturated and have that death of the west vibe. Like, I'm not sure if the morricone soundtrack would mesh in with the unforgiven landscape, say. I'd opt for either doing a Leone mashup or, if it's the man with no name's fate we're trying to flesh out, I'd use high plains drifter, pale rider and unforgiven, with only brief flash/throwbacks to Leone/rawhide.
No you're definitely right, they're two different types of westerns. But that would be the fun of it, to try to make the Eastwood ones feel like Leone ones. It would involve cutting some stuff out, some of the more serious stuff for sure. Unforgiven would be really tough but I wouldn't start with that one anyway. If I'm going to do it (and I think I will), I'd start with High Plains Drifter, which would be a much easier task.

The real trick is to figure out what Morricone soundtrack to use. I wouldn't want to use anything from the Dollars trilogy except for maybe a snippet or two. No, I'd rather take a whole other Morricone western soundtrack and use that, with maybe some other pieces in there too. Morricone's got a lot of stuff, the trick is just finding what fits. With Unforgiven, for instance, I can cut out some of the serious stuff, but at the end of the day it's still a rather grave film. But that's okay, I'm sure I can find Morricone tracks to fit that mood.

Oddly enough my biggest hurdle would be making the opening credits like the ones in the Dollars films.
 

Wraith

Well-known member
Donor
Faneditor
Messages
1,772
Reaction score
1,652
Trophy Points
133
Well....my friend...This puppy could be finished this weekend...
I could find myself releasing 2 edits days apart!!!!
Its already half done....and OH...the joy of realising and finding performance moments which....well....they just tie together...
I really am not going to spoil this at all by saying anything else other than it involves 5 films, and Clint ain't even in one of them!
 

MusicEd921

Well-known member
Donor
Faneditor
Messages
1,895
Reaction score
561
Trophy Points
143
Neglify said:
A guy tried that idea. There were too many rough cuts for it to be approved and he abandoned it. He hasn't come around here in 6 months so that's a shame. It was a great idea, maybe one day someone else can run with it.

I got in touch with him after seeing this post and offered to help him out and bring his idea to fruition. Expect some updates later.

The story will be Unforgiven, but Munny will be having flashbacks to his old days that he had left behind, the days that haunt him until he must relive his past in order to put a stop to the crooked sheriff.
 

Wraith

Well-known member
Donor
Faneditor
Messages
1,772
Reaction score
1,652
Trophy Points
133
Really looking forward to that...We could subtitle these...maybe something like "The Clint Flashback Series"?
Shame we don't have an old cop movie of his to do the same to.
 

Neglify

Well-known member
Messages
13,969
Reaction score
24
Trophy Points
123
musiced921 said:
I got in touch with him after seeing this post and offered to help him out and bring his idea to fruition. Expect some updates later.

The story will be Unforgiven, but Munny will be having flashbacks to his old days that he had left behind, the days that haunt him until he must relive his past in order to put a stop to the crooked sheriff.

Awesome! I was really intrigued by his idea and was bummed he couldn't get the editing to flow. Glad to hear someone picked it up!
 

Wraith

Well-known member
Donor
Faneditor
Messages
1,772
Reaction score
1,652
Trophy Points
133
Edit is flowing well.
Sound polish left but I need to return to my matrix edit to deal with a new removal (see thread).
The trick here was to NOT FALL IN LOVE with the flashback movies. The main movie is the story, the flash backs are merely vignettes to flesh-out character.
Soon...
W
 

Wraith

Well-known member
Donor
Faneditor
Messages
1,772
Reaction score
1,652
Trophy Points
133
Assembly being refined. Changed one flashback..
dilema on ending... End per Gran Torino at the soothing (will reading removed) or segue to a flashback with an upbeat ending.
Views???
 

Wraith

Well-known member
Donor
Faneditor
Messages
1,772
Reaction score
1,652
Trophy Points
133
The tone works better unhappy to fit this. I agree.
I will include the happy ending as an extra....
 
Top Bottom