• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Dr Jones and the Skull Kingdom Mystery

So far I've had a sneak peek at the beginning of the edit. Apart from the mp4 being letterbox 4:3, which I hope gets corrected in the DVD version, there are a couple of technical goofs. First, the newly added footage is in the wrong aspect ratio, it seems to be 1.66:1 and stretched, while the movie is 2.35.1. Likely a settings mistake. Here's a still of the crossfade in between the logo and the opening, notice the areas that overlap:

vlcsnap2011012000h09m13.png

Then, after this, the opening credits are not only squeezed (fine if you like it that way, but it goes against the Indy movie credits aesthetic), but they also invade the black bars:

vlcsnap2011012000h02m30.png

Hope you get to correct those, Wraith!

This is a render conversion error on the MP4. RATS!. THE DVD is fine. I will re-render the MP$ using the source MPEG 2....

Many THx

wraith, this seems to be a common theme for most of your edits. While you generally get it sorted out, and you're good about responding to peoples comments and fixing things, take some advice:

SLOW DOWN. check your edit and files before uploading. It isn't a race. First impressions are the lasting impression.

ThrowgnCpr said:
wraith, this seems to be a common theme for most of your edits. While you generally get it sorted out, and you're good about responding to peoples comments and fixing things, take some advice:

SLOW DOWN. check your edit and files before uploading. It isn't a race. First impressions are the lasting impression.
I like your advice Throw. Would you mind if I turned it into the 5th rule of fanediting?
It would look something like this:

5th RULE OF FANEDITING:
DON'T RUSH IT.

SLOW DOWN. check your edit. check your DVD. check your AVI. Check the mix, check the AR, check for flashframes, check for bad edits, check for bad audio edits, check for abrupt cuts, check for plot holes, check for errors in logic, check for interlace problems, check for errors in chronology, check, check, check. And when you're done, bored and tired, get a good night's sleep, wake up to a hardy breakfast and check again!
walk away for a few days (sometimes much longer), look at it with fresh eyes. If you repeatedly rush, and repeatedly put out inferior first products you will develop a bad rep fast.
It isn't a race. First impressions are the lasting impression.

hit the brakes!!!

Check, please.
:p

I love it. We have all been guilty of being anxious, but we all learn that impressions last. I think slowing down is a big concept. check files. walk away for a few days (sometimes much longer), look at it with fresh eyes. If you repeatedly rush, and repeatedly put out inferior first products you will develop a bad rep fast.

hit the brakes!!!

THS...I was so much slower this time. I watched and watched and watched....BUT, did not check the MP4...I assumed the conversion would be ok, given the source...was....Pls check the DVD it is fine...really, but I hear you. Big thx all.
W

Wraith said:
THS...I was so much slower this time. I watched and watched and watched....BUT, did not check the MP4...I assumed the conversion would be ok, given the source...was....Pls check the DVD it is fine...really, but I hear you. Big thx all.
W
oh dear, i recognize that babbling. Too long in the Jungle.

Remixed by Jorge said:
oh dear, i recognize that babbling. Too long in the Jungle.
:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

FLASH FRAME WARNING! At the 1:28:49 mark, in between the shot of Mutt and Marion and the wide shot of Indy watching the place being flooded, this intruder appears:

00172.png

Otherwise, and apart from the above, I didn't notice any other technical glitches.

As for the edit itself, it's a huge improvement over the original turd, and the cuts are seamlessly made. Yet there are still three things you kept in that bother me a lot:

-The nuking, of course. What I would have done is cutting from the wide shot of Indy spotting Doom Town in the distance (from that far away it could be anything, and double for the base) directly to the questioning session.

-Indy taking the dead conquistador's knife, then putting it back. This moment exemplifies what's wrong with the depiction of the character in this entry. This goody li'l two shoes is the guy who was once willing to risk his ass through a series of deadly traps to get a golden idol out of an ancient temple?

-The part of the epilogue that establishes Indy back in his college job, and as the associate dean, no less. It's 1957 and they're willing to forget the guy was accused of being a Commie, just because of what? Of going see a pyramid fall apart? I'd have cut directly from the aftermath of the pyramid ending, to the wedding.

Still, very good job!

DwightFry78 said:
FLASH FRAME WARNING! At the 1:28:49 mark, in between the shot of Mutt and Marion and the wide shot of Indy watching the place being flooded, this intruder appears:

00172.png
Oh man, I'd love to see that subtitled with "oh hai!"

Wait a minute, I just got an idea... ;)

aside from the flash frame warning, the pixelation is really excessive in that image. Wraith could save so much space and up the bitrate if he cropped off all of the letterboxing for the mp4.

To be fair, the pixellation is not this high in the edit itself, the fact that it's a flash frame might have degraded this particular one. Still, a 16:9 mp4 would be desirable indeed.

I have checked the source file, and there is no flash frame. When I created the original MP4 it was not a conversion from the file that maed the DVD but a render made from the whole edit composition in COREL VIDEO EDITOR v12....instead of rendering to MPEG, I rendered to MP4 and voila....I assumed it would render the same way . Instead (which did happen to me before) it decided to add a few flash frames , and screw up my great titles. for lord sake. I have no converted my watched, and re watched and re watched original file in MPEG that makes the DVD. It is currently uploading and the current link will be removed. I am doing it 16:9 as well and upped the sudio bit rate....Hope that helps....
TRINITY will not have the breach of the forthcoming 5th Rule. Appreciate all your support and comments
W

Where's the Dvd? There only appears to be the MP4 link.

Back
Top Bottom