• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Doctor Who: 'Fortress of the Daleks' and 'Invasion of the Daleks'

I may have found a way to work around the freezing issue so there should be an episode today... but it might be a little later than the advertised 7pm "transmission" time because er, erm... the BBC has replaced it with some sport. :p

The London Jets are playing Titan for the Zero-G-Football cup.

Jets.jpg

An hour later than advertised (This is BBC1+1 tonight), here is the final episode of serial one...

(^ Password is fanedit)

Here is a brief outline of some of the changes to this episode (Contains Spoilers)...

- Another new BBC continuity intro and outro performed by dangermouse.
- Opening of the episode scored with Troughton era intro audio (From 'The Seeds of Death').
- Recut Dalek City escape differently to Episode 2 and the original movie.
- Again added vintage Tardis hum when needed.
- Removed 'false leaving Skaro' scene and used some shot at the end.
- Removed wobbly camera cut at 10 minutes in.
- Removed bizarre rock climbing transition shot and half of the sequence.
- Removed all of the scenes in the caverns (A couple of shots used elsewhere).
- Added a 'Wilhelm Scream' to otherwise soundless action... see if you can spot where.
- Re-arranged the order of the intercut scenes between The Thals and The Doctor/Susan.
- Again added sound to prison-light-beam-thing throughout.
- Re-arranged The Doctor's reaction shot at "41".
- Removed a shot of a Dalek shooting our heroes at point-blank-range with no effect.
- Added numerous Death Ray sounds and negative fades.
- Added alot of Dalek chatter to the oddly silent final including "Exterminate, Exterm...", "... annihilate destroy" and "Daleks conquer and...".
- Re-arranged sequence of shots in the final battle to he correct way they should have been. Originally The Doctor was trapped in the light ray, then the light ray control was destroyed, then the Doctor is hiding behind a desk, several scenes happen, then the light beam stops working and The Doctor goes and hides under the desk... in short it was a mess. It now all plays in the correct order.
- Added timed sound effects to enhance the re-arranged light-beam desruction shots.
- Added "Powering down" Dalek death sounds to some shots.
- Used some shots from the earlier 'false leaving Skaro' scene to replace the original ending as I felt the former had more genuine emotion and felt more like a typical TV Doctor sign off.
- Added extra special extended teaser (Thanks to dangermouse for delivering his superb vocal work on this at a few hours notice!).
- Teaser contains footage from 8 different movies including: 'Dr Who and the Daleks', 'Daleks: Invasion Earth: 2150 A.D.', 'Fear in the night', 'The Horror of Frankenstein', 'Quatermass and the Pit', 'The Reptile', 'She' and 'The Vengeance of She'.
- Yes that is the real Rani! The seductive Kate O'Mara 15 years before she would appear in the 1985 episode 'The Mark of the Rani'...
4747W-1000x1000.jpg

Splendid work there

Hmm, really loving the added touch of a "lost" Cushing serial at the end...brilliant mash-up of other Cushing and Cribbons films, and helps bridge a bit of a gap between Fortress and Invasion perfectly.

Zarius said:
Splendid work there

Hmm, really loving the added touch of a "lost" Cushing serial at the end...brilliant mash-up of other Cushing and Cribbons films, and helps bridge a bit of a gap between Fortress and Invasion perfectly.

= EXACTLY my thoughts behind doing it. :)

I was down to the wire putting that together and the freezing up of the render didn't help. So I'm very glad all the pain has been worth it and you thought it had the desired effect. Once again thanks to dangermouse for re-recording the voice for me earlier this afternoon! :)

In the end I had to import an old workprint into the timeline and splice in the changes at the end. Which means I've no way to render episode 3 at a higher quality than that Vimeo upload now. But it could have been worse, the whole episode could have been lost.

FYI - Late cutlist added to above post ^.

A rousing and wonderful conclusion!

Great visual and sound editing. Can't wait til the dvd release to experience it all over again on the big screen. :)

bionicbob said:
A rousing and wonderful conclusion!

Great visual and sound editing. Can't wait til the dvd release to experience it all over again on the big screen. :)

:) Great to hear! I thought it was the strongest of the 3 episodes.

I've prepared 3 "special" alternate deleted scenes (One for each episode) that were intended just for the DVD, but I am very tempted to stream them.

This has been a great project so far. I'm a big fan of Who, and am honestly shocked there's not more Who related projects considering the 50 years of material and general padding often found in many episodes. Looking forward to the next group of episodes.

Hymie said:
This has been a great project so far. I'm a big fan of Who, and am honestly shocked there's not more Who related projects considering the 50 years of material and general padding often found in many episodes. Looking forward to the next group of episodes.

Glad to hear it, I really should add the first 3 episodes to the first post for ease as some people might want to catch up.

I'm halfway through episode 1 of 'Invasion of the Daleks' and I think it may be a lighter edit than 'Fortress' as the 2nd movie feels more Who-Like anyway. Bernard Cribbins' companion is alot more likeable and believable than Ian from the first movie and I love the way he keeps calling Cushing "Doc" like in 'Back in the Future'.

invasion_earth_0.jpg

bernard2.png

Still not as cool as cheekily calling The Doctor "Professor" though...

mccoys02.jpg

Hymie said:

Glad to hear it, I really should add the first 3 episodes to the first post for ease as some people might want to catch up.

I'm halfway through episode 1 of 'Invasion of the Daleks' and I think it may be a lighter edit than 'Fortress' as the 2nd movie feels more Who-Like anyway. Bernard Cribbins' companion is alot more likeable and believable than Ian from the first movie and I love the way he keeps calling Cushing "Doc" like in 'Back in the Future'.

invasion_earth_0.jpg

bernard2.png

Still not as cool as cheekily calling The Doctor "Professor" like Sophie Aldred used to...

AldredMcCoy_1695580a.jpg

Just finished uploading the new episode and instantly noticed a technical error with the closing credits, so time to re-render and re-upload :x

It's got less audio editing (As the sounds are better in the 2nd film) but way more visual editing as it was a bit sloppy originally IMO. The film has many technical flaws (Which reminded me of the problems with 'Love Happy') but is alot more action packed. I've fixed as many flaws as I could.

I like the idea of trailers for episodes that never existed. There's enough movie footage around of certain former doctors to have fun with that. :)

SilverWook said:
I like the idea of trailers for episodes that never existed. There's enough movie footage around of certain former doctors to have fun with that. :)

Don't worry I've got something planned :p

Oh good! Will be interesting to see if you read my mind. ;-)

It's suh-suh-suh-Saturday Kids! It's time for a new Doctor Who adventure to start...

(Password = fanedit)

General cutlist (Spoilers):

- Added continuity "apology" performed once again by dangermouse.
- Added intro, episode titles and 'Seeds of death music' again.
- Again converted to B&W and cropped every shot individually to 16:9 but this time didn't mess with the contrast as it looked TV enough already.
- Again added vintage Tardis hum when needed.
- Removed entire openning 'present day' exposition scene.
- Removed Tom mentioning the bump on his head we now don't see (He now just rubs his head and mutters in confusion).
- Removed, recut and redubbed some of Tom's lines explaing the plot on the way into the warehouse.
- Brought the first half of the 'searching the Roboman' scene forward to connect with his discovery.
- Added the 2nd half of the 'searching the Roboman' scene to end of Louise's abduction.
- Plus, dubbed on an extra line of the Doctor talking about the reciever (Cut from earlier) and added a slow zoom-out to the first shot.
- Recut warehouse transition to minimise original bad music fade.
- Removed pointless 'exit from warehouse' sequence.
- Recut end of tube discussion so it now appears that that they are being overheard by David.
- Re-ordered and redubbed the 'Daleks hunting for David' sequence to improve flow and again minimise poor original music fade.
- Added Dalek deathray sounds and negative FX to aborted escape scene.
- Trimmed start of hideout shot to again improve on a poor original music fade.
- Trimmed wobbly camera ending to the hideout sequence.
- Removed end of office discussion scene so they no longer all laugh hysterically in a very strange way (It just ends with Wyler grinning as the penny drops).
- Added 'keller machine theme' from 'the mind of evil serial' to the final few shots to ramp up the tension.
- Cut in a final closeup of the Doctor from a little later in the film to finish the episode.
- Again added closing titles updated for the 2nd movie (With a little gag for observant Whovians ;-)).
- Again added brief episode 2 teaser introduced by dangermouse.

nice work, I've watched that film so many times over the years and I've always thought the fx with the Dalek spaceship were particularly well done and left me wondering how they made the ship fly and look so realistic. Now you've changed it to black and white I can see the wires holding it up :-D so I guess I know now. That's working really well in serialised form and your editing is totally transparent even when watching while reading through the cutlist. Respect to you, sir :rockon:

ghouldetail said:
nice work, I've watched that film so many times over the years and I've always thought the fx with the Dalek spaceship were particularly well done and left me wondering how they made the ship fly and look so realistic. Now you've changed it to black and white I can see the wires holding it up :-D so I guess I know now. That's working really well in serialised form and your editing is totally transparent even when watching while reading through the cutlist. Respect to you, sir :rockon:

Thanks! :)

I take it by "Transparent" you mean a compliment like it's "Invisible" and not my methods and techniques are so crap that every edit is laid open for all to see! :-D

I know the shot you mean (Juuust before it passes over the camera) and the wires are visible in colour too (On my DVD anyway). Thought the wires added to the 60s TV look so I never considered cutting that shot early.

I can vouch to the wires being visible on the U.S. DVD release. It's arguable whether they could be seen on a theatrical print of the era. Film grain hides a lot.

Just watched the BBC version last night and the Dalek saucer shots would make Ed Wood proud, if you know what I mean. ;-)

TM2YC said:
Thanks! :)

I take it by "Transparent" you mean a compliment like it's "Invisible" and not my methods and techniques are so crap that every edit is laid open for all to see! :-D

yep, definitely a compliment. I can't see the edits at all. Very nicely done, as always.

I've only ever seen the film at terrestrial tv resolution or on vhs so the strings were a revelation. I was both entertained and educated. You've genuinely put to rest decades of wondering how they did it

Another excellent episode! All the cuts worked really well, the pacing was perfect and the cliffhanger was masterful.
All round great fun. :)

bionicbob said:
Another excellent episode! All the cuts worked really well, the pacing was perfect and the cliffhanger was masterful.
All round great fun. :)

:)

I hadn't realised how much I'd cut from E1 (Hence the pace), slightly worried I'm gonna run out footage for 2&3 now. :-D

The start of episode 2 (First 4-5 mins) sure is action packed, it's the 'Empire Strikes Back/Hoth' opening. ;-)

Back
Top Bottom