• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Doctor Who: 'Fortress of the Daleks' and 'Invasion of the Daleks'

Yer probably best not to...

600full.jpg

Been watching a bunch of vintage Who over the weekend, and was wondering if there were any other ways to make your edit look more vintage? More like "analog".

I have this crazy idea of shooting the image right off a CRT to emulate the telerecording look of the black and white tv episodes. I still have a Sony 13 inch set gathering dust. Not sure if my old camcorder still runs though!

SilverWook said:
Been watching a bunch of vintage Who over the weekend, and was wondering if there were any other ways to make your edit look more vintage? More like "analog".

I have this crazy idea of shooting the image right off a CRT to emulate the telerecording look of the black and white tv episodes. I still have a Sony 13 inch set gathering dust. Not sure if my old camcorder still runs though!

[MENTION=9451]matrixgrindhouse[/MENTION] sent me a great test simulating Hartnell-era VT but I didn't want to take this edit so far down that route. I just wanted to suggest 'TV' (While still mainting some resolution) rather than have it actually all blurry, low contrast and lo-res like the surviving Hartnell episodes.

It would be cool to see test of your idea though. I wonder if it would give it that distinctive heavy-motion-blur when ever there was a very bright light on screen...

EhSQjD2.jpg

"Fuego! Fuego!" :-D ^ Not the best example as much of this down to the mirrored optical illusion. But you'd always get a long snaking light trail whenever a camera panned over something like a light bulb filament (Couldn't find a screenshot).

btw Most of episode two is visually edited and now begins the process of layering on lots of BBC Radiophonic Sound FX like Dalek death-rays and crys of "Exterminate!" that didn't feature in episode one! :)

I might try something over the long Thanksgiving weekend if I get the chance. I've actually done some shooting off my flatscreen tv with my SLR and gotten some interesting effects, so I might not need the Sony after all.

If you can find the original of this photo, it might be better for your title sequence.
50th_anniversary_peter_cushing_wallpaper_by_thedoctorwho2-d6g17vu.png

Using a camcorder on a CRT wouldn't really replicate the effect of telercording.... well, scratch that. If it has the ability to record 25FPS progressive scan video, it might. But any sort of 50 field per second interlaced recording would just degrade picture quailty. And forget about bringing any NTSC or 24p equipment into the mix. The real telerecordings double-exposed each frame (consisting of two fields) into a single film frame. In my process, that effect is emulated as follows: interpolate the 25p footage to 50p. Interlace it. Deinterlace with the blend/blur method. I also add some film grain after that; change in medium after all. [MENTION=21036]SilverWook[/MENTION] , I can send you some sample footage and/or the complete set of instructions if you'd like. I'd post a streaming example, but Youtube and Vimeo cap their frame rates at 30; insufficient for the purposes of emulating 50 field per second television.

I've spent the last hour trying to find Dalek raygun and "Exterimate" sound FX on Google and YouTube and haven't found a single useable thing. Feel like I'm losing my mind, this stuff should be easy to find right? I need a ton Dalek voices shouting "Exterminate" and the like and lots of ray guns going off but clean of music. :-(

Still, I've made a funny 48 second spoof clip for the DVD bonus features (I've ideas for others ;-)).

I sometimes forget about how superior PAL was to NTSC. Was a nice idea I had while it lasted. ;-)

Rewatching the one episode of The Seeds of Death that was output to 35mm back in the day looks a lot like this edit. Too bad all the 60's episodes weren't recorded that way.

TM2YC said:
I've spent the last hour trying to find Dalek raygun and "Exterimate" sound FX on Google and YouTube and haven't found a single useable thing. Feel like I'm losing my mind, this stuff should be easy to find right? I need a ton Dalek voices shouting "Exterminate" and the like and lots of ray guns going off but clean of music. :-(

Still, I've made a funny 48 second spoof clip for the DVD bonus features (I've ideas for others ;-)).

On one of the clips in the Lost in Time DVD set, there's an army of them all shouting "Daleks conquer and destroy!"

SilverWook said:
On one of the clips in the Lost in Time DVD set, there's an army of them all shouting "Daleks conquer and destroy!"

I don't have that DVD but thanks anyway.

I've made an alternate DVD cover for serial two mimicing the official DVDs...

(^ Click to see fullsize version)

It's 7pm Saturday night, so it's time for episode two of 'Fortress of the Daleks', 'Escape from the City'...

(Password = fanedit)

(Apologies, there are more pink flashes at around 17mins in (Like last episode). I tried to fix it a couple of times but it's still there. I wish I knew why it's doing that :sad:. It shouldn't effect the enjoyment of the episode too much though.)

Here is a brief outline of some of the changes to this episode (Contains Spoilers)...

- Another new BBC continuity intro and outro performed by dangermouse.
- Opening of the episode scored with Troughton era intro audio (From 'The Seeds of Death').
- Again recut opening Tardis scene differently from the original and the end of Episode one.
- Again added vintage Tardis hum.
- Removed more 'Grandaughter' refrences from Barbara.
- A couple of un-Doctor-like pessimistic lines removed.
- Added humming alien soundFX to oddly soundless interogation-beam scene.
- Dalek stun gun sound added again and this time the Death Ray sound too.
- Added more negative Dalek gun visFX.
- Added strange BBC Radiophonic soundFX to (Again soundless) crawling Dalek hand shot.
- New cliffhanger ending created using Dalek vocals from 'The Five Doctors', completely recut shots and one shot borrowed from the end of the movie.
- Short teaser added for next week's final episode... 'The Neutronic Bomb' (Again thanks to dangermouse).

Did I just get a screen credit? Thanks!

Anyway, I found that Dalek scene I referred to in a fan reconstruction. (At 4:15)

Another rousing episode TM!
See you next week, same Who Time, same Who channel! :D

SilverWook said:
I found that Dalek scene I referred to in a fan reconstruction. (At 4:15)

Nice. I'll maybe find a place for that in episode 3.

bionicbob said:
Another rousing episode TM!
See you next week, same Who Time, same Who channel! :D

:lol:

btw Here is an alternate DVD cover for the first serial...

It's Wednesday and I've only done 7 minutes of episode 3. Time to get busy ;-)

Soooo much Sound FX and edits to add to the 7 minute finale.:oops:

11235834305_fcb0f4e83b_c.jpg

btw I've just fixed an error in the original film where several shots are blantantly out of sequence making the action on screen make no sense. Why did nobody on the production notice this? :lol:

Well episode 3 is totally refusing to render. It keeps freezing at 0-45 seconds in despiteme spending hours trying to sort it.:-(

So there might be no episode 3 today, we'll see.

'Til then, KEEEEPPPPPP DANCING:p

(Never let me say that again)

Back
Top Bottom