• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Vote now in wave 1 of the FEOTM Reboot!

Doc Savage: The Man of Bronze - Detarnished!

I'll watch it again and get back to you.

slark said:
Now that you guys have seen it - what's your favorite "wiseass comment" in "Fragments"?
-"He was murdered!" *Kraka-thoooooom!* -By Frau Blücher? :lol::lol::lol:

I have two favorites:

"Fabulous FOUR works for me, Doc!"
"Can it, Ham!"
and
"Sumo", "Gung Fu", "Tai Chichuan"...
It's a shame they had to cut "Bitch Slap" to get the G rating,

I got an email today from Ray Zell, telling me how he feels about the finished product. I cut and pasted it onto the review page - which doesn't seem to like quotation marks for some reason - and the formatting of it got really screwed up, so I'm copying it here as well:

ray zell said:
Gotta say, I’m stunned. It is so TIGHT.
Tried to explain to my girlfrend, Holly, how well you’d need to know this film to really appreciate what you’ve done. Trust me, not one moment of it is wasted on me.
Strangely, one stand out moment, is how you dealt with Seas receiving the news of Savage being alive: "Borden." So SLICK.
And the fight on the yacht. It’s how I used to edit it in my mind.
I can actually watch this movie now – and relax. Just enjoy.
I could go on. And on. But… I think you get it.
My only fear now is, anythin’ ever goin’ wrong with the disc…
AAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!

"how you dealt with Seas receiving the news of Savage being alive: "Borden." So SLICK."

Agreed. That worked out very well.

Ripplin said:
"how you dealt with Seas receiving the news of Savage being alive: "Borden." So SLICK."

Agreed. That worked out very well.

Ha! And the funny thing is, that was a byproduct, not an intention!

I had wanted to get rid of the throwing of the champagne glass, and go directly from the slamming of the phone to the "That no-good pilot Borden" line. I realized that I could change the hand motion to pick up the champagne glass to reaching for the call button; that worked out well. But unfortunately, with the throwing of the glass went Karen jumping up from the chair beside him, so there'd be a discontinuity left behind (of Karen suddenly standing). I tried to crop to Seas face and zoom out (to compensate for the film's zoom-in) during the "no-good pilot" line, but the graininess looked horrible! So I decided to cut the line completely and go right to the door where we wait for Kulkan's entrance.

Then I realized that, since Seas paced out his words and the word "Borden" was at the end (where the zoom-in had already completed), including just that word could be done without the viewer noticing that Karen should probably still be in frame there. When it occurred to me that it had gone from just more bitching-and-moaning on Seas' part to the effective proclamation of a death sentence, that sealed it: anything that succeeded in making Seas seem tougher was IN!

While on the subject of Ray, today I received a large envelope containing an alternate cover Ray created for DETARNISHED! It has the same back cover and spine as the one I posted, but the front cover is a Bantam-inspired artwork that Ray created last year. (Unfortunately, the original was lost in the mail on its way to me.)

dtarnished001-web.jpg

THANKS AGAIN, RAY!!!!

Amazing artwork! But... Mona's position is a bit too odd for such a chaste hero as Doc...

It's funny you posted that now as I was just coming in to say that I'd like to make Doc and the boys as one of my Lego groups. I'd people to post pics of the group as they think they should look that I can use as a reference. I'm talking book versions, not movie ones, by the way.

Ripplin said:
It's funny you posted that now as I was just coming in to say that I'd like to make Doc and the boys as one of my Lego groups. I'd people to post pics of the group as they think they should look that I can use as a reference. I'm talking book versions, not movie ones, by the way.

Here's some drawing I started years ago of how I pictured them from the books -

Renny, Long Tom, Johnny, and Doc.....

docsavagedrawing.png

....and Ham, Monk, and Pat Savage.

docsavagedrawing2.png

That's pretty cool! Is Monk really, really short or is he sitting down? Heh. He reminds me of Puck from Alpha Flight.

Monk is short, but he shouldn't be that short. That's one of the reasons I stopped working on that picture.

It looks like, apart from Monk and Ham, the rest weren't too badly cast in the movie, looks-wise at least.

I still kick myself for not having bid on a set of around 10 novels at Sally Ann a while back. :p Dunno how much they went for, but looking at eBay and AbeBooks, they're not cheap.

"DETARNISHED!" has reached 10 votes, and with a 9.90 average, it presently stands at the top of The 50 Best-Rated True Fanedits list.

I still have not heard from either Ron Ely or Pamela Hensley. :-( While I did not explicitly request a response from either, I kind of thought I'd hear something...

Ripplin said:
Someone rated it less than 10?! FOR SHAME!

Yeah.

You know, I don't mind that it's not a "10". (Though it's closer to that than it is to a "9", IMO.) It's not perfect, and I never expected its overall rating to reflect otherwise. But the timing seemed to indicate that person who cast that 10th vote did so in a slimy way: It had stalled at 8 votes for a couple of weeks. Then, a 9th vote was cast on Sunday morning; it was a 10. (Yes, it was from someone I know - but it was an honest vote.) Then the 10th vote - a "9" - came in hot on its heels. Kind of smacked of someone hovering around to see what that 9th vote was going to be, then jumping right in when it wasn't less than a 10. Yeah, the timing could have been a coincidence. But then, so could an eBay sniping. ;-)

That minor issue aside, I'm glad - and proud - of the accomplishment. I watched the edit again the other day, after a few weeks away from it, and I have to say that I, too, share the sentiment of others who expressed that the result is so much better than I ever imagined that this movie could be!

slark said:
"DETARNISHED!" has reached 10 votes, and with a 9.90 average, it presently stands at the top of The 50 Best-Rated True Fanedits list.
Yup, yet for some reason Wolf Dancer is still the highlighted one on the top of the list (it had the top spot for a long time, it is now #4). I thought that would automatically update itself.

slark said:
I still have not heard from either Ron Ely or Pamela Hensley. :-( While I did not explicitly request a response from either, I kind of thought I'd hear something...
Did you send it to their home addresses or their agents? Stuff sent to agents is very likely to directly hit the trash can on arrival, unopened.

slark said:
Yeah.

You know, I don't mind that it's not a "10". (Though it's closer to that than it is to a "9", IMO.) It's not perfect, and I never expected its overall rating to reflect otherwise. But the timing seemed to indicate that person who cast that 10th vote did so in a slimy way: It had stalled at 8 votes for a couple of weeks. Then, a 9th vote was cast on Sunday morning; it was a 10. (Yes, it was from someone I know - but it was an honest vote.) Then the 10th vote - a "9" - came in hot on its heels. Kind of smacked of someone hovering around to see what that 9th vote was going to be, then jumping right in when it wasn't less than a 10. Yeah, the timing could have been a coincidence. But then, so could an eBay sniping. ;-)

Are you seriously suspicious/complaining that someone gave the edit a 9?

TV's Frink said:
Are you seriously suspicious/complaining that someone gave the edit a 9?

Is that what I said?

Back
Top Bottom