• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Doc Savage: The Man of Bronze - Detarnished!

Yep. Absolutely Brilliant!!!!
hhhmmm..... possible FAN EDIT OF THE YEAR?;-)

Again good stuff!
So what happened with the Rhinestone Lapel effect? It was an interesting idea, too bad it did not work out.
But again, it completely fits with that 1970s flavour, and no worst than Doc's bronze themed tux.:D

bionicbob said:
Again good stuff!
So what happened with the Rhinestone Lapel effect? It was an interesting idea, too bad it did not work out.
But again, it completely fits with that 1970s flavour, and no worst than Doc's bronze themed tux.:D

After eliminating the rhinestones in Seas' first scene (in the 2nd trailer), I realized a few things:

• There was much more action in the second scene, and that would make it very very difficult to remove the rhinestones effectively (for me, anyway);
  • The occasion of a dinner - with Doc and the Five in formal attire as well - made Seas' tux a little less objectionable;
  • The fact that Seas had been introduced showing little sign of this tendency toward flamboyance had already established him as a formidable villain.
So I let it go. If I'd felt that I could have pulled it off, I'd have done it anyway - but I don't feel it suffers too much having it left in.

Here's the last - and longest - of the trailers that I have planned:

bionicbob said:
Yep. Absolutely Brilliant!!!!
hhhmmm..... possible FAN EDIT OF THE YEAR?;-)

Heh-heh... A "firstling" edit of an old and obscure movie? Not likely, I'd think - but thanks for the vote of confidence!

DVDs went out today, as planned.

My friends here in the States should get theirs in a couple of days.

My friends in Canada, a few days later.

My friends in the U.K.... I haven't got a clue. (Actually, as I recall, when I sent out the "preliminary" edit for review - OVER A YEAR AGO - Ray got his pretty quick...)

slark said:
I've burned a whole bunch of discs and printed a whole bunch of covers for shipping out on Monday. Here's an idea of what they look like:

They look great, slark! And thanks ... they're supercredopilous (whatever that means -- yes, Johnny has stumped the world's Internet search engines)! :)

BTW, are there many more cast & crew of DS:TMOB that you have tracked down for Detarnished! mailings?

They look great, slark! Thanks for mailing them out not only to the celebrities (can't wait to hear if you get responses from them!), but to little ol'...us! ;)

Oh, I could have copied/pasted that old review of mine up there by now, but I think I should wait and write a fresh one, especially as there are a few little things I haven't seen yet.

P.S. I know you're being modest, but I wouldn't take bionicbob's suggestion of this being fanedit of the year too lightly. Few people have done so much on an edit as you have with this. Whether someone likes the movie in any form or not, they can't deny the massive effort. It really was a privilege to follow the progress and help in little ways. WHAT'S NEXT? I'm gonna have 'slark progress thread' withdrawal now! :Yellow_Flash_Colorz

imp_ardnfi said:
BTW, are there many more cast & crew of DS:TMOB that you have tracked down for Detarnished! mailings?

No. Actually, I stumbled upon that celebrity address site while looking for something else, so it immediately occurred to me to look up Miss Hensley's and Mr. Berryman's addresses. I don't even know who else might be alive. (I know that, alas, Paul Gleason is not.)

Ripplin said:
They look great, slark! Thanks for mailing them out not only to the celebrities (can't wait to hear if you get responses from them!), but to little ol'...us! ;)

Yeah - I scribbled my email address on the letter to Ron Ely, but not to the others: they'd either have to contact me via snail mail or track me down through FE.org. Yes, I hope they enjoy them. And I hope you guys do, just as much!

Ripplin said:
Oh, I could have copied/pasted that old review of mine up there by now, but I think I should wait and write a fresh one, especially as there are a few little things I haven't seen yet.

Sounds good to me. Yeah, there are enough changes to warrant a fresh review. I would hope that all my advisors will check out the disc thoroughly and favor me with a rating AND a review. I want tons of reviews!

Ripplin said:
P.S. I know you're being modest, but I wouldn't take bionicbob's suggestion of this being fanedit of the year too lightly. Few people have done so much on an edit as you have with this. Whether someone likes the movie in any form or not, they can't deny the massive effort.

It's not so much about modesty as it is an acknowledgment of the relative popularity of the material. Take a look at the FE.org main page: "Detarnished" has attracted 123 views, while "Underworld Temptation" - posted only a minute before - has attracted 291. People go with what's familiar to them. I don't take it as a slight. I was aware of the limited appeal of this project when I took it on; in spite of it, really, because this was something that I really wanted to see done.

Ripplin said:
It really was a privilege to follow the progress and help in little ways. WHAT'S NEXT? I'm gonna have 'slark progress thread' withdrawal now! :Yellow_Flash_Colorz

I know what you mean. But if I do take on another project, it won't be anything like this (and it probably won't be anytime soon, either). I've got a couple of preservation projects in mind. (Both are of George Pal productions, BTW...)

I know what you mean about the relative popularity. None and I released "Star Wars Galore" a few months ago and I knew it wouldn't get much attention because it's The Phantom Menace related, but I've heard nothing. Oh well.

Great news that you plan to work on more George Pal projects!

I definitely think this edit should at the very least be NOMINATED for Fan Edit of the Year.

On a different note, I was reading the Wiki page (and we know how reliable those are...LOL) and it suggested that portions of the planned sequel ARCH ENEMY OF EVIL were actually filmed, but production was discontinued due to the poor performance of MAN OF BRONZE.

Do you know if this is true? And if so, does any of the footage survive or available anywhere for viewing? Would be an interesting curiousity....:D

This is one of several rumors about this film. Another is, of course, the rumor of a "serious cut" of the film that was shelved and socked away in the Warner vault...

If I hear back from Ron Ely, I may contact him again and ask him about some of these rumors...

Fortunately, Fanedit of the Year is not a popularity contest, so the comparative popularity of some material over others is not a requirement for consideration, nor is the number of edits released by the editor. Great work is great work. Now, I can't say if this is great as I've not seen the original nor this edit, but I can say that the strength of Bob's review alone dictates that I will get the original, familiarize myself with it and then see what all this fuss is about:)
Based on the thread (while not a participant, it was impossible to not check in on it now and again) I've long expected that this edit will be something special. So far it seems it is.

Congratulations on completing this Slark! :)

Trailers will get added to the edit listing tomorrow. Look for a PM once I'm done with all of that.

Nice message, L8. I think once you've seen both versions, you'll really get why so many of us were so impressed by this one. I really hope a lot of people take a chance on it.

Hey, someone has to contact that guy that reviewed the original movie not too long ago. I forget his name. He'd probably appreciate this heavily decampified version, as would many of those who commented on his review. Maybe he'd even update it!

L8wrtr said:
Fortunately, Fanedit of the Year is not a popularity contest, so the comparative popularity of some material over others is not a requirement for consideration, nor is the number of edits released by the editor.

I hope that everyone understands that I meant no slight to the site or its members - I was just observing that people gravitate to the familiar - and DS:TMOB is anything but familiar!

Great work is great work. Now, I can't say if this is great as I've not seen the original nor this edit, but I can say that the strength of Bob's review alone dictates that I will get the original, familiarize myself with it and then see what all this fuss is about:)
You're gonna suffer for my art, huh? LOL The "Fragments" section certainly gives an idea of the original film, even if it doesn't offer the full experience...

Based on the thread (while not a participant, it was impossible to not check in on it now and again) I've long expected that this edit will be something special. So far it seems it is.
Thanks again. Yes, it's gratifying to get such positive reactions!

I've got a feeling the spigots are about to open...

Oh, yeah. With the discs that I shipped out starting to arrive, I anticipate there'll be a bit more feedback soon.

I think.

Back
Top Bottom