• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Doc Savage: The Man of Bronze - Detarnished!

Well, at least you got it back instead of losing it. Hopefully that other lead will yield results.

If you think it may be helpful, slark, I have access to IMDb Pro, which lists a whole lot of addresses for movie people's... agents. If you wish to go that way, just tell me and I'll check anyone you want.

I"ve already told you how happy I am with the edit...I have now posted a my review, I'll repost it here -

I became a Doc Savage fan in 1968...seven years before the movie was released. By the time it was released I had read dozens of the books multiple times....and I was pumped to finally see my favorite hero on the big screen. I cannot fully express the disappointment and embarassment as I left the theater. Being a fan and collector....I bought a VHS copy when it came out, and watched it a few times. Then I got the idea one day to try and cut out as much of the "camp" and stupidity as I could to make a better movie. There's only so much that can be done by cutting things out on a tape...but it made the movie more watchable, but still bad.
When I first came to this site, I was reading through the descriptions of fanedits that had been made. Imagine my feeling when I read about slark's previous edit Doc SaLvaged: the Fanedit of Bronze. The things I read that he had done on that were mindblowing to me. It sounded like there was finally hope for Doc fans to see a decent movie of their hero. I unfortuntly was unable to watch that edit, but would actually go and read all the specifics on it many times and play it in my head.
Then slark announced he would do a new more ambitious edit of it. I was exstatic and very happy and proud to be able to help with the making of it with some suggestions that he used. He was kind enough to send me a hard copy of the finished product (for which I can not thank him enough)...and here now is my review. I'm sure there will be spoilers in here.
This edit is fantastic. The DOC SAVAGE movie has gone from an embarassment to something I am happy to show to people. Removing the majority of the John Philip Sousa soundtrack (and especially the Doc Savage song) is the biggest improvement. The music set a tone of "goofy, campy, non seriousness" for the movie. While there is still some humor left in...the overall tone of the movie has been changed for the better. From the removal of the face-palming badness of the song to the knee jerking in sync with the music death of Borden...the tone and mood of the film is now played as a more serious film.
Visual special effects were improved upon (both by inserting new better effects or the simple removal of original ones). The twinkle in Docs eye at several points in the original were cheesy beyond words. They are now gone. The subtitles of the different martial arts styles that helped turn a serious hand to hand combat scene into a joke have also been removed. In the original movie there was an airplane explosion that I saw better done in the 30's...slark redid it and it now looks much more realistic. There are many other small things like this done to improve the movie. A very good job was done on them. But the biggest and best special effect created by slark is the opening. When I had originally said that I always imagined an old time newsreel opening to the movie...I never thought it could actually be done. But he did it, and it is marvelous. Using deleted scenes, production pictures, scenes from other old movies, and someone doing a great job of mimicking the voice over artists of the 30's...he created a feature film worthy newsreel. This feature and the way it segues from smallscreen B/W into widescreen color is beautiful.
There were around 20 minutes of footage removed to tighten the action and remove sillyness, campyness, and just bad acting and direction. This along with the musical score change and the less amaturish FX again helps change the whole tone and mood of the movie. I know I may sound repetitive...but I can't express it enough, the great thing about this edit is that it manages to turn a piece of crap joke into a watchable more serious film. If the purpose of fanediting a film...is to make it a better one...then this edit succeeds enormously.

Dwight Fry said:
If you think it may be helpful, slark, I have access to IMDb Pro, which lists a whole lot of addresses for movie people's... agents. If you wish to go that way, just tell me and I'll check anyone you want.

Well, the last time he posted there was back at the end of April, so I'll give him a bit of time to respond. (He might be away on a shoot.) In a few weeks or so, maybe we'll try that avenue. Thanks!

slark said:
Well, the last time he posted there was back at the end of April, so I'll give him a bit of time to respond. (He might be away on a shoot.)

Regular IMDB says that he has two films currently in production, so that may well be the case.

MonkandHam, I can't begin to tell you how much it means to me that Doc fans like yourself are enjoying this edit. The newsreel was truly a transformative idea, and we all owe you a debt of thanks for planting that seed.

It's gratifying to know that there are other "old guys" like me out there who have long-lamented the misfire of this film but are still willing to give it a chance (in the form of a fanedit crafted by a tinkerer passionate - or foolhardy - enough to ignore his self-perceived limitations). It's doubly gratifying that there seem to be so many folks out there who remember this film well enough to rate/review this fanedit on the basis of the difference between what this film was and what it now is, rather than on what the source materials could never yield...

Be sure to show your friends and family the "Thanks" crawl at the end, and the first minute or so of the text commentary, so they can see your mentions! (You're also mentioned in the commentary during the Land Recorder's Office scene, about 48:50 into the movie.)

Thanks again, M&H - for your help, suggestions, support... your heartfelt review, AND for your rating!

BTW - where did you post your review? Aside from your repost here, I can't seem to find it!

Thanks for the kind words...but you are the one that deserves the accolades...you did the actuall work.

I have watched it with the commentary...thanks for the mention...you have done a great job of mentioning all who helped.

That's strange..I went to the post a review section under the movie synopsis and posted what I did above. I'll go back and check. This was my first review (since it was the first edit on here I actually had the chance to watch)...maybe I did something wrong.

*EDIT*
I can see it here http://fanedit.org/14082/

MonkandHam said:
Thanks for the kind words...but you are the one that deserves the accolades...you did the actuall work.

I have watched it with the commentary...thanks for the mention...you have done a great job of mentioning all who helped.

That's strange..I went to the post a review section under the movie synopsis and posted what I did above. I'll go back and check. This was my first review (since it was the first edit on here I actually had the chance to watch)...maybe I did something wrong.

*EDIT*
I can see it here http://fanedit.org/14082/

That's weird. I'm looking at that same page. The Reviews section shows five postings: BIONICBOB, ME, HBENTHOW, JELIO, and ARCLIGHT. I checked again from a different computer and it shows the same thing... ??? I wonder if there's some weird "awaiting approval" thing before your post goes public?

Is anyone else seeing MonkandHam's review on http://fanedit.org/14082/ ?

slark said:
That's weird. I'm looking at that same page. The Reviews section shows five postings: BIONICBOB, ME, HBENTHOW, JELIO, and ARCLIGHT. ... I wonder if there's some weird "awaiting approval" thing before your post goes public?

When I'm not signed in, I see only the 5 reviews as tallied at the beginning of the review section. When I am signed in, I still see the 5 reviews total, but there is a 6th review at the end of the reviews (a review I posted several days ago). I suspect MonkandHam is suffering the same effect, only with his 6th review at the end of the reviews.

There definitely is weirdness going on. But who will save us? This is a job for ... Super-administrator! (Anybody know one?)

Yeah, I'm not seeing either of them. Wow. I know there have been site issues lately. The other day I got booted and couldn't log back in because I was being told that my login password was wrong. I reset it three times before I could get back in. Then, once I did get back in, I was being bounced every few minutes. Finally, on a hunch, I wiped out all of the fanedit.org-related cookies in my browser and things seem to be okay on my end now.

Did either of you guys try to rate the movie, or just add a review? What do you see as the current number of ratings?

Now I'm wondering how many others have posted reviews that never appeared.

What I've been wondering is... "Where the hell is everybody?" ;-)

slark said:
Did either of you guys try to rate the movie, or just add a review? What do you see as the current number of ratings?

I posted a review only. For one who worked close on the fan-edit, I hesitated to do even that on question of propriety. But, as my review was more entertainment than anything else, I figured, as another Doc put it so eloquently in Back To The Future, "What the hell". :)

Just shot off a PM to the board administrator. Hopefully, it's just a delayed, review approval process. I didn't try reposting the review and possibly compounding the problem.

I think I'll gather some pictures (as I wanted for the review, but no options there to do so) and give it a proper posting here.

slark said:
What I've been wondering is... "Where the hell is everybody?" ;-)

Thus far, this thread has over a thousand views. Are there any download statistics of far and diverse places?

BTW, slark, thanks (again) for sending the finished fan-edit! Looks good! :thumb:

Just read your review, imp. Love it - THANKS! :redface:

Those thousand views are probably mostly ... me... (Needless to say, I've been a bit anxious about this whole thing since it was released!)

Enjoy, my friend. And subject some of your friends and family to it. Then subject them to the original...

heh-heh-heh...

First time reviewers on the wordpress pages must be approved to avoid spam, after the initial review is approved, future reviews by that person are automatically approved. Sorry, 3-day weekend and forgot to check the review pages. There were two 'duplicate' reviews so I approved one each and deleted the other.

Thanks all!

L8wrtr said:
First time reviewers on the wordpress pages must be approved to avoid spam

Perhaps on successful submission, such a statement might be displayed (to prevent multiple reposting attempts and minor heart-attacks)? ;-)

slark said:
Then subject them to the original... heh-heh-heh...

You are a cruel fan-editor! :) Actually, I did some of that -- showed off one of my favorite improvements (on several levels): Long Tom's new tesla-esque lighter.

BTW, I went back and gave DS:TMOB-D! it's stars. I figured, if I'm in with one foot, I'm in with both (Doc translation: "What the hell")! :D

Ripplin said:
Just added my review. :)

Damn.

Thanks, Rip. That's a keeper.

I don't mind telling you guys, I'm a bit choked up right now...

After reading Rip's review, I just had to watch "Fragments" again. (I swear, the laughs in that section alone make it worth the download...)

Now that you guys have seen it - what's your favorite "wiseass comment" in "Fragments"?

(Yeah, I have a favorite. I'll tell you later...)

Back
Top Bottom