• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Doc Savage: The Man of Bronze - Detarnished!

I'm sorry to hear that you haven't heard back from Ron or Pam. I think I remember you saying that you had planned to send a copy to Will Murray also. Did you do that, and if so, did you hear back from him?

Just read this at imdb on George Pal's page:

Trademark: Appearance of Woody Woodpecker somewhere in all the films he either produced, directed, or both.

Was he in Doc Savage? If so, where/when?

A hidden Woody Woodpecker? I found it!

hiddenwoody.jpg

(and absolutely no relation to this other post: hidden Bugs Bunny)

:D

Here's an item of amusement: technically, no, Woody does not make an appearance in this film...

At the end of the movie - just before the infamous 'Salvation Army' sequence - a Cub Scout holds up traffic so that a "Little Lady" (guess they didn't want to call her "old" in the credits) can cross the street. The "little lady" is carrying an armful of gifts - among them, an Andy Panda doll. As a further nod, the "little lady" is played by Grace Stafford, wife of Walter Lantz.

The reason for the character cameo switch? The filmmakers reasoned that Woody would have been an ANACHRONISM in 1936, so they used Andy Panda instead! If only FILTERED CIGARETTES, 1970s AUTOMOBILES, and so many other things concerned them so much!

By the way, when Pal was making his second feature film, Destination Moon, he needed a short animated sequence. He went to his friend Walt Disney for this favor, but Disney apologized that his studio was too busy to oblige. He then went to Walter Lantz, who reportedly dropped everything to help George by creating some footage starring Woody. Pal was so touched by this gesture of friendship that he vowed to feature Woody in every film he made thereafter. He was good to his word.

Good info, slark! Just love all that "behind the scenes" stuff!

And speaking of behind-the-scenes, an eBay seller (dpmarchives) has what must be a number of rare publicity/theater stills from Doc Savage: The Man Of Bronze. Those auctions are up in a few hours but the photos should stick around eBay for a couple of months before they disappear. Have a look:

$%28KGrHqNHJBcE63VgzhjZBO1Fehs5-%21%7E%7E60_35.JPG

DOC SAVAGE! CONDUCTING AT THE NORTH POLE!

$%28KGrHqFHJBUE63VVG8dYBO1FfESZsg%7E%7E60_35.JPG

DOC SAVAGE! THE MASTER SCIENTIST AT WORK!

[align=center]
$%28KGrHqVHJDcE63Z%28m%21E5BO1FerfPbw%7E%7E60_35.JPG

DOC SAVAGE! FILMING THE MAN OF BRONZE!

And my favorite, which I prefer to title: "Even Doc Savage puts his pants on ... one leg at a time!"

[align=center]
$%28KGrHqNHJCEE63%28UQ+peBO1FeJlBk%21%7E%7E60_35.JPG

DOC SAVAGE! BEHIND THE SCENES AT THE 'NORTH POLE'!
[/align]
[/align]

Cool photos, imp. Never saw those before, thanks for sharing 'em!

There's another seller called movie-material-store that is the eBay presence of a downtown NYC shop that I used to spend a LOT of time in! They had hundreds of thousands of stills from which to choose. You could name even the most obscure movie and they likely had a binder full of photos from it!

In fact, in the movie "The Wanderers", a greaser character peeks into the window of a legendary folk music club called "Folk City" and hears and sees Bob Dylan singing. It's supposed to be a poignant scene as he can't exactly comprehend what he's seeing, but we as the audience know that the greaser days are about to end. Well, in the background of that shot you can see a sidewalk sign that says "Jerry Ohlinger's Movie Material Store" - an anachronism (by nearly two decades). Heh heh... Not too many people caught that one, but it sure took me out of the moment!

BTW - after noticing in the YouTube stats that a large number of folks who viewed the trailers were not sticking around for the "AFTER" segment, I decided to add annotations, which I think is a cool YT feature. Maybe it will entice more viewers to stay for the "good part".

If you're curious, here's the first one - it will lead you to the others:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oU6sGrYDtrs

We knew what was coming, but many are watching this cold. Your's is a good solution, only I'd recommend a more serious tone -- as it's to get them watch the 2nd half.

For example, the 1st annotation, how about something like:
"In a minute you'll see that removing the hokey voice-over is just one improvement."
And continue the comments as parts from an presentation (one sentence for each segment) ... or not. :)

Look at you all - keepin' the Bronze dream alive. I salute you!! HA! Got me new computer...FINALLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ray zell said:
Look at you all - keepin' the Bronze dream alive. I salute you!! HA! Got me new computer...FINALLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

How'd you get Father Christmas to hit your house early, Ray? I gotta learn that trick... ;)

Welcome back to the land of the living. Or would that be e-living?

Here's something cool:

Type "doc" and "savage" into Google and see what it suggests as the next word...

:typing:

Doc... Savage...

"Movie" comes up first.

But if I type "doc savage d" then detarnished is the fourth option. Yay.

The Google Cookie Fairies must have sprinkled pixie dust on my brain...

Of course.

Thanks.

Someone just commented on my Trailer #1 on YouTube:

"Original is better. The cheesy stuff you've gotten rid of is what made it a cool and quirky, great movie in the first place. Your edits just make it bland."

I am about this close to speechless.

"Great movie"?!?!

Wow.

I didn't know Warner execs had the time to write YouTube comments.

I like both versions of the movie and really think there's room for both. Some, sadly, don't. *shrug*

But yeah, to call the original "great" is just plain irresponsible! :p

Dwight Fry said:
I didn't know Warner execs had the time to write YouTube comments.

Heh-heh... I doubt that any Warner exec - living or dead - has ever SEEN the film!

Actually, it turns out to be "worse" than that: I took a look at my critic's own YT profile and found that he/she (though I'm strongly favoring "he") is a wrestling videogame aficionado who sets up, records, and posts his own matches on YouTube. Wrestling... that certainly explains his fondness for the original film.

I got an email from YouTube seeking my approval to post his comment, and I figured, "Sure, why not"..

Ripplin said:
I like both versions of the movie and really think there's room for both. Some, sadly, don't. *shrug*

But yeah, to call the original "great" is just plain irresponsible! :p

I kinda like 'em both too, Rip. But "great"?

I don't need to be giving anybody enough evidence to "Baker Act" me!

Back
Top Bottom