• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Disney buys Lucasfilm!

Another reason Disney is a good fit. http://articles.latimes.com/2012/jun/01/business/la-fi-ct-disney-alan-horn-20120601

The former Warner Bros. Entertainment president takes over as Walt Disney Studios chairman June 11, assuming control of the Burbank company. During his largely successful 12-year tenure at Warner Bros., Horn shepherded such critically acclaimed and lucrative films as the "Harry Potter," "Lord of the Rings" and revived "Batman" series, as well as "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory."

Disney's upcoming movies reflect the studio's reliance on familiar brands. In addition to "The Lone Ranger," next year's slate includes "Oz: The Great and Powerful," the live-action prequel to "The Wizard of Oz"; Marvel sequels "Iron Man 3" and "Thor 2"; and Pixar's "Monsters University," a prequel to the animation studio's "Monsters, Inc."

And then we have this article "Why It Doesn't Matter Who Directs The Next Star Wars Movie" http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Why-It-Doesn-t-Matter-Who-Directs-Next-Star-Wars-Movie-33853.html

The directors who have followed in Nolan's footsteps, mostly at Marvel, haven't pulled off quite the same game changes-- mostly because Marvel seems to put much tighter reins on its staff, happy to bring in brand-new directors for both the Thor and Captain America sequels, and to let go of Jon Favreau after two Iron Man films. Joss Whedon is clearly being established as Marvel's answer to Nolan, signing on for The Avengers 2 as well as creative consultant at the studio, similar to the way Nolan is shepherding the Superman movie Man of Steel at Warner Bros. The Avengers undeniably bore Whedon's stamp, with the quick-witted dialogue and the strong female characters, but it also adhered to a lot of the world-building that happened before he arrived-- The Avengers is Whedon's movie, but he's operating within a pretty strict set of guidelines laid out by Marvel Studios.

The fact that Disney now owns both Marvel and Lucasfilm suggests that they'll use similar tactic with the future of Star Wars, potentially hiring exciting new directors-- for a pittance compared to what top-flight talent would earn-- but making sure they operate within a clearly defined sandbox.

Which is all a way of saying: it probably doesn't matter that much who directs Star Wars: Episode VII. Yes, whoever gets the job will enjoy an unbelievable leap in their career prospects, and will be allowed to work with characters he or she (but, come on, it's gonna be a he) grew up playing with as action figures. The decisions about the aesthetic and the goals of this new Star Wars trilogy will be made well above the director, by Kathleen Kennedy and George Lucas and Bob Iger and Alan Horn and the focus groups who tell them they don't like it when R2D2 seems to have existential doubts. We may very well get a better and brighter new Star Wars trilogy out of all of this-- but your favorite director, no matter how awesome he is, won't be the one who's able to make that happen.

So, coupled with the fact these screen treatments are a lot further along than we thought I can completely see Disney putting a relative nobody at the helm. I mean they have the Russo Brothers doing Captain America and Alan Taylor doing Thor. Within Disney "director" isn't synonymous with Auteur.

I do agree with everyone who says Brad Bird would be a perfect fit, and from a logistics standpoint, his schedule is pretty open (having only one movie in pre-production.) The real question is, 'who will they have come in and convert the treatments to scripts', an issue I think is almost more important than who directs.

the_new_death_star_by_genzoman-d5jkxim.jpg
c39eX.jpg

XXOVV.jpg
8141199694_0326e969a5.jpg

TH9QS.jpg

8cEyP.jpg

Honestly, yeah, I don't think the director matters that much. That's why I've been saying they need to get someone who can handle a blockbuster. That's, I think, the single biggest criteria.

Who's doing the script might be a more important question, though I don't worry too much. Pretty much every one in Hollywood can write dialogue better than Lucas

See I am saying the opposite. They have Kathleen Kennedy and George Lucas and Bob Iger and Alan Horn to handle the "blockbuster" part of it. They need an art director who can point a camera and compose a shot. They don't need someone famous or proven because they will already be working in a sandbox with tight constraints. All the major decision making will come from above the director. Which is why I think an artsy director is more important, hence why a Michael Vaughan/Alfonso Cuarón/Brad Bird/Michel Gondry is important. They are people who have very defined visual sense and or come from art departments. They wont need to be worrying about budget, script, casting etc. The higher ups have that covered. Someone who can make a beautiful movie is a more important criteria than someone who has released a blockbuster. It's the exact same reason Alfonso Cuarón got put in for HP3.

I see what you're saying. I guess it's a moot point anyway because we (pretty much all) agree Bird's the guy to go with.

I wouldn't be surprised if they pick someone like David Yates who has only made one movie, and 'make' his career. Maybe someone famous for commercials. Someone good with CGI and digital moviemaking.

Harry Potter/Avengers will be the model. Nolan's Batman and Abrams Star Trek are basically the opposite. They were given characters and told to build it from scratch and come up with everything themselves. They had tons of freedom to go wherever they wanted, and the entire project was on their shoulders. Which is why I think Joss Whedon get's a tad too much credit for The Avengers. It would have been roughly an equally good movie if he wrote the script and somebody else directed it. Given Alan Horn's track record at WB, and the Disney plan within Marvel I would wonder if Bird is already "too big."

One guy I wouldn't want to direct is Russell Mulchay. Yeah, Highlander was awesome, and so was The Shadow, but look at his output of late, and it's not as stellar, the only exception is Resurrection. But I do agree the director is only as good as his material, so I wouldn't mind a film written by Lawrence Kasdan again, as he does have the expertise in the Star Wars universe, and seems to know where everything should fit.

On a side note, wasn't Renny Harlin supposed to direct one of the Star Wars movies at some point, and how would it have turned out, do you reckon?

See I am saying the opposite. They have Kathleen Kennedy and George Lucas and Bob Iger and Alan Horn to handle the "blockbuster" part of it. They need an art director who can point a camera and compose a shot. They don't need someone famous or proven because they will already be working in a sandbox with tight constraints. All the major decision making will come from above the director.

i can see this being the way in which they approach the film, the brand star wars is way bigger then any director or star attached to this film.

my choice would be Duncan Jones who directed Moon and Source Code

here is another interesting article featuring mark hamil
http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/nailbiter111/news/?a=69501

blueyoda —> bluemickey

i'm pretty sure alfred hitchcock won't direct any of the new SW movies.

ssj said:
i'm pretty sure alfred hitchcock won't direct any of the new SW movies.

That would have been noss though.

I had to surface from my editing cave (cutting together a low budget feature) to comment on this.

This is the best news Star Wars fans could possibly hope for.

Disney will not screw this up. They don't see it as something to take control of. They see it as a cash cow, the same way they see Marvel. And they will not allow their cash cow to falter on its first film.

That means young, exciting talent will be hired, directors who are passionate about the films. Imagine a Brad Bird Star Wars film? or Rian Johnson? With Michael Giacchino doing the score? This is what will be happening, guys. More Star Wars, but the reins are handed over to people that are passionate, excited, and creative. Everything George Lucas, God love him, is not anymore. At least about Star Wars.

Fantastic news. Can't wait to see it.

Mark my words, Brad Bird/Damon Lindelof present Star Wars Episode VII.

I have my heart set on Bird, so count on that not happening.

God, no. Not Lindelof. After the cock-up he made of Prometheus (which, I do love, but my god, it made no sense!), and the way he managed to end Lost, no. No no no no. God, please, no. Bring in some veteran writers, or as I've said, people who adore the material, and care passionately about the series, and we could have a bloody good new trilogy. Good shout on Giacchino for the score, though. He certainly has shown he's just as capable of a good score like Williams, Goldsmith and Horner. Even Cliff Eidleman who did Star Trek VI could have a bash. He knows how to do a moody score at times.

reave said:
I have my heart set on Bird, so count on that not happening.

I'd actually rather have Bird direct Justice League. Mission Impossible 4 shows he understands a group dynamic, and Iron Giant and the Incredibles showed he knew superheroes.

JetSetWilly said:
God, no. Not Lindelof. After the cock-up he made of Prometheus (which, I do love, but my god, it made no sense!), and the way he managed to end Lost, no. No no no no. God, please, no. Bring in some veteran writers, or as I've said, people who adore the material, and care passionately about the series, and we could have a bloody good new trilogy. Good shout on Giacchino for the score, though. He certainly has shown he's just as capable of a good score like Williams, Goldsmith and Horner. Even Cliff Eidleman who did Star Trek VI could have a bash. He knows how to do a moody score at times.

I still like Lindelof, and I think you're fooling yourself if you think Prometheus was all his fault. That was Ridley Scott's train, he was just a boxcar. But I think he could really nail it. I'm not necessarily rooting for him, but I think he's a likely candidate and would do a fine job.

Brad Bird just seems like a perfect fit to me. There's a clean old-fashioned bend to his style that fits the original trilogy to a T. He's got close ties to Disney and Pixar, and we know he can constuct incredible action and pace a movie like the masters from his work on Mission Impossible 4. I hope we don't get anyone that re-invents the wheel. I see people shouting for directors like Neil Blomkamp, and I think his personal style will leave too much of a mark or be too jarring. Hell, even Andrew Stanton, director of the criminally underrated John Carter, could knock it out of the park.

I can't see who could do the score other than Giacchino (well, except John Williams.) There's John Williams influence over every score he does. Star Trek, Super 8, John Carter, those are big, bombastic, adventure fueled tunes. That just seems like a foregone conclusion to me.

PS, are we seriously getting King Conan and Star Wars VII? So surreal. Two movies I've always wanted that I thought would never happen!

Been reading a few posts and thinking a bit. Decided that I am out.

Love the original trilogy. Got three fan edits of eps 1-3 that I really like. I really can't do any more star wars. just count me out. To me, it's all complete and anything else is just stuff I don't need.

I hope it all goes well for those of you that want more.

Back
Top Bottom