• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Disney buys Lucasfilm!

Reading through a bit, I have a few things to say.

Director: As much as I love Nolan, I will admit he is not the right choice. And it's kind of annoying that I see places like Entertainment Weekly suggest him as a possible choice. No. As much as I would love to see a Nolan SW movie, he's not right for the sequel trilogy. I think Whedon would do a fine job, but obviously he's locked up with Avengers 2. As for Abrams, yes please. Of course he's not the only one who could pull it off. I would suggest David Yates (HP 5,6,7,8); Gore Verbinski (POTC 1,2,3); Brad Bird (Incredibles, Mission: Impossible IV); Rupert Wyatt (Rise of the Planet of the Apes); Matthew Vaughn (X-Men: First Class); Andrew Stanton (John Carter); Marc Webb (The Amazing Spider-Man); Joe Johnston (The Rocketeer, Captain America); Jon Favreau (Iron Man); Alfonso Cuaron (HP 3, Children of Men); and Mike Newell (HP 4); amongst others. I would not give the job to someone who has yet to direct a big budget movie. I would also not give it to someone who has a distinctive style that wouldn't mesh well with SW. Honestly, my number one is Abrams.*

Composer: Seems obvious to me. Michael Giacchino. No second choice.

Script: Definitely get someone to polish Lucas' script. Don't trash it though. The man has good ideas, and he did create these characters.

Fanedits: I would not worry about it. Especially since I hear 20th Century Fox still owns 1-6. Which reminds me.

The Unaltered Trilogy: If Fox only has 1-6 until 2020, why wouldn't they try to put out OT BDs, and get as much money as they can while they still can.

Also, I realized this last night: more lightsaber battles!

JetSetWilly said:
Sure, it would seem like a sequence out of the Amiga game Purple Saturn Day, but seeing the Falcon make it less than 12 parsecs again unknown ships would be quite cool.

You just became my new best friend for mentioning the Amiga.

FRIEEEEEEND :D lol.
I absolutely adored my Amiga. Had loads of games on it, and the version of Star Wars was epic, what with full speech and everything.

Please no more Nolan, Abrams, Whedon. None of them should even be in the running. Every media outlet is already shouting their names, we get it, they are popular. You were on the right track with Vaughn, Yates, Bird, Cuarón. I just don't know how I feel about the guy who did the majority of Harry Potter also getting Star Wars, the same apprehension I have with Nolan after Batman, Whedon after Avengers+2 or Abrams with his Star Trek series. Why do we want more of the same, let's shoot for something new and different. (Thus why I think 'visual' directors are more important, we don't need a "Storyteller" director like Nolan/Whedon because the script will already be written by other people. Someone unique like Michel Gondry/Cameron Crowe/Alfonso Cuarón with Eternal Sunshine/Vanilla Sky/Children of Men.

How sad is everyone knowing that Star Wars 7 won't open with the Fox Fanfare?

It's going to open with something like this.

heXk4.jpg

aBb2o.jpg

Change the Death Star to Darth Vaders helmet (oo-er!!!), and it would look just as good.

I would not give the job to someone who has yet to direct a big budget movie.

Well if you were in charge David Yates never would have done Harry Potter 5. It was only his second non TV movie. Rise of the Planet of the Apes was Rupert Wyatt's second film.

I wonder what a John Carpenter SW movie would look like.......

wabid said:
Please no more Nolan, Abrams, Whedon. None of them should even be in the running. Every media outlet is already shouting their names, we get it, they are popular. You were on the right track with Vaughn, Yates, Bird, Cuarón. I just don't know how I feel about the guy who did the majority of Harry Potter also getting Star Wars, the same apprehension I have with Nolan after Batman, Whedon after Avengers+2 or Abrams with his Star Trek series. Why do we want more of the same, let's shoot for something new and different. (Thus why I think 'visual' directors are more important, we don't need a "Storyteller" director like Nolan/Whedon because the script will already be written by other people. Someone unique like Michel Gondry/Cameron Crowe/Alfonso Cuarón with Eternal Sunshine/Vanilla Sky/Children of Men.

How sad is everyone knowing that Star Wars 7 won't open with the Fox Fanfare?

It's going to open with something like this.

heXk4.jpg

aBb2o.jpg
Yeah, I said that Nolan wouldn't really work. I'm still saying that Whedon would work. A script reviser is definitely necessary. But, yeah, that's not going to happen because of Avengers. And I get that you, and other people don't just want to see the new Star Trek movie with Star Wars characters. I think Abrams is more than just a popular director right now, I think he is one of the best working today, and I would love to see what he would do with Star Wars.

As for more of the same, I'm not quiet sure I get what you mean. I guess you mean you don't want the same people working on more than one franchise, you want to give other people a chance. I think I get that. Yeah, that makes sense. Why not let someone else have a franchise to work on? I think a guy like Yates is a safe choice, but sure, you could give it to someone else. I wonder if it wouldn't be more interesting to have a different director for each?

I'm not sold on Michel Gondy/Cameron Crowe/others of that ilk. I don't want to see a Star Wars film made by someone who can't handle a big budget. Not that I'm saying they can't, we just don't know yet.

As for the fanfare, yes I am very sad. I mentioned this in one of my other posts. As a kid, the 20th Century Fox fanfare always signaled to me that I was entering a galaxy far, far, away. That Disney card, while admittedly kind of cool, will be nothing in comparison. And I wonder, will they even use the Disney fanfare? I want these questions answered now.

Look I love Abrams but there is no reason on the planet to hand both franchises to the same person. If it goes to Abrams that means Orci/Kurtzman/Lindeloff will be writing it. Fuck that. I'll give you Michael Giacchino though, I wrongly overlooked him.

I get it, I really do. Bad Robot puts together epic films. But there are so many other directors that can make a more unique "non blockbuster movie" than Abrams/Nolan. At that point, why not just hand it off to Michael Bay. Michel Gondy did The Green Hornet, Cameron Crowe did Almost Famous, Jerry Maguire and Vanilla Sky had a 70 million dollar budget. David Yates was completely unproven when they picked him for Harry Potter, as was Wyatt for Apes.

DominicCobb, you may have missed it because this thread is moving fast, but I started a "Disney puts you in charge of Star Wars 7, 8, & 9!: What are you going to do now?" thread. I'd love for you to tear my template open and fill it in with your own choices. And yes, I think a different director for each movie is best.

New interview with Lucas biographer:
http://www.thewrap.com/movies/column-post/star-wars-7-8-and-9-are-most-exciting-says-george-lucas-biographer-exclusive-63006
While researching his book, Dale Pollock, author of the unauthorized Lucas biography, “Skywalking: The Life And Films Of George Lucas,” was allowed to read the outlines to the 12 stories written by the filmmaker but was required to sign a confidentiality agreement.

“The three most exciting stories were 7, 8 and 9. They had propulsive action, really interesting new worlds, new characters. I remember thinking, ‘I want to see these 3 movies.’”

The next in the series, he said, involve Luke Skywalker in his 30s and 40s, but Lucas was unlikely to turn to Mark Hamill, who played Luke in the original but whose performance left the director dissatisfied.

Fuck Verbinski. POTC are some of the most overrated POS films to ever hit the screen.

Out of all of these ideas, my personal pick would be Brad Bird. The guy can do big action, knows how to get excellent performances and dialogue and has heart in all the right places. Anyone who can have a robot say the word "Superman" and make me well up every time I see it has my vote.

Obviously these plots are false but personally I'd still prefer these over the Thrawn trilogy anyday. I never liked the Thrawn trilogy and thought it was weak, even when I was 8 years old!
http://www.supershadow.com/starwars/episode7/plot.html
Still very insteresting concepts, and wouldn't mind these being the plots for the films too much. Will be nice to see what is truly in store for us.

nightstalkerpoet said:
New interview with Lucas biographer:
Mark Hamill, who played Luke in the original but whose performance left the director dissatisfied.

Yes; Mark Hamill didn't do very well at all as Luke. Fortunately, for the prequels, Lucas was able to find an actor worthy of his writing, Hayden Christensen.

And another thing. Not sure why someone would be of the opinion that the Ford, Fisher and Hamill are "too old" for the new trilogy. Are old people banned from being in movies? Could they not be in the film as older leaders, Jedi's and housewives? Was "Old Ben" too old to be in Star Wars?

Do I think they should be the main ass-kickers in the films? No. But I don't think it's too much of a stretch to think that they could find a spot for them, if only to bridge the trilogies, which they should do if they're not going to reboot and go to another era.

Also, Hamill did just fine as Luke. He was a goober kid thrust into an intergalactic war. Of course he's going to be awkward. It's a great dynamic with Han. You can't have two Han Solo's. Someone had to be the less cool character (I always made my friends be Luke to my Han). For comparison look at Jar-Jar. I think Best did a great job as Jar-Jar. He's an annoying shit-stain, and that's obviously what his character was supposed to be. There are annoying shit-stains in the universe, we just don't like to see them in our films.

TomH1138 said:
--For those who are worried, could Disney possibly do a worse job than George did with the prequels?
Day 2 of the new Imperial era, and I gotta say, my main emotion on this day is... total indifference.

I love the Thrawn trilogy, partly because, apart from the red-eyed freak threat, it shows the galaxy as being fairly peaceful post-ROTJ, and The Last Command's epilogue promises even greater harmony. This is as it should be. We know from Obi-Wan (the real one) that the galaxy was a pretty chill place for a very long era before the Dark Times. The Galactic Civil War should be an anomaly, an unusually fractious period, or it loses its meaning.

Yes, non-Lucas directed sequels will probably be better than the PT. But while he may not be running the show, Lucas is still around, his selected heir will be the main creative vizier, and no mega-corporation like Disney is going to make an effort to really discard the PT, even if the terms of the contract would allow it. And frankly, as long as the PT is still around... I'm out. I think. It just brings too much baggage, is loaded down with too much crap for me to get much excited about the future.

Looking back, one of the most charming aspects of the OT is how small it is. Zahn understood this, and wrote three amazing, adventure-filled books that nevertheless managed to retain that small, personal feel. For every chase or battle, there's a half-dozen quiet, warm, immensely human scenes of character interaction. Trouble is, especially if Lucas is crafting/has outlined the basic story, I don't think that special alchemy's ever gonna return to the franchise.

I may change my mind at some point. What is unknown far exceeds what is known.

But today, as I look forward to Trek XII, I think of more Star Wars and conclude: I just don't care. :-(

Gaith said:
I have an awful feeling that I will remember today for the rest of my life. :?

"Grandpa, where were you when The Maker let the franchise go?"

Sitting in a movie theatre watching Goofy in Episode 1. That's when GL let the franchise go!

Back
Top Bottom