• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Vote now in wave 1 of the FEOTM Reboot!

Coronavirus/Covid-19 Discussion Thread

Warbler said:
asterixsmeagol said:
TVs Frink said:
Warbler said:
TM2YC said:
A mother on the radio was saying she is making her kids still wear their uniforms at home and work according to their normal school schedule/lesson-times, with breaks at the exact same time to allow them periods to chat to their friends. Seemed like a very sensible suggestion to maintain some sort of normality.

Very sensible except the uniform wearing, that seems a little much, imho.

I won't make a judgement on the uniforms but my wife is doing something similar, minus the uniforms.  Ok to still wear pajamas lol.

I can understand the uniforms. Little things like that can help to emphasise the difference between school time and recreation time.

but at home?!?

If they weren't at home there wouldn't be a need to emphasize the difference between school time and recreation time.

I don't think it's necessary for our kids, but I'm not going to judge someone else who does it.

I wore uniform for 16 years of schooling and never once understood the justification for it so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I’m not interested enough to actually provide sources, but I’ve heard there are studies that show that productivity is down on “casual Fridays.” Why? Because it’s different. When the workplace is casual all the time there is no dip in Friday productivity. Nor is there a dip when the workplace is always formal.

Moe_Syzlak said:
I’m not interested enough to actually provide sources, but I’ve heard there are studies that show that productivity is down on “casual Fridays.” Why? Because it’s different. When the workplace is casual all the time there is no dip in Friday productivity. Nor is there a dip when the workplace is always formal.

Weirdly, casual Fridays were always really productive for me at my work, but I think only because Fridays were also telecommute days for a lot of staff.  Just having less people around, or having them only contacting you when absolutely necessary, made the "please don't interrupt" portion of my work just fly.

Hard to say what all this telecommuting will do to productivity.  I felt I was more productive when lots of people other than me were telecommuting.  I'm less positive about when everyone including me is telecommuting.

And the kids have no school to go to.

Can we cancel coronavirus next? I'd prefer they didn't over do this show and just kept it to one season

^ But... seasons two and three were so action-packed! :p

------------------------------

I remember how, in pre-9/11 days, non-passengers at airports could waltz right up to the arrival gates to greet friends and family. Now, when one can't even get on a plane without removing shoes and belts, that seems fantastical.

I wonder, therefore, when air travel resumes, if flyers will have to get their temperature scanned before boarding, or maybe even at security. Hell, maybe both. Over 99 degrees? No air travel for you; better luck tomorrow. If we'd implemented such precautions this New Year's Day, would we be significantly better off now?

Ozrzpwy.jpg

So legally there can't be graded assignments at this time? Is that just Massachusetts, or everywhere?
(re: online classes)

Grades are a social construct anyway, fight the system.

Illinois is now considering an Italy style lockdown. Which is, you know, great. I work in Healthcare so I can't wait to fight that battle every day going to work, plus having to go to the store and everything on top.

Not saying it's a bad or a good idea, just saying if it happens it isn't going to be oodles of fun.

I always had trouble telling Italy and Illinois apart, this won't help.

asterixsmeagol said:
TVs Frink said:
I always had trouble telling Italy and Illinois apart, this won't help.

One has pizza and one has "pizza".

Chicago and "Italy."

Got it.

Possessed said:
Illinois is now considering an Italy style lockdown. Which is, you know, great. I work in Healthcare so I can't wait to fight that battle every day going to work, plus having to go to the store and everything on top.

Not saying it's a bad or a good idea, just saying if it happens it isn't going to be oodles of fun.

Can confirm, lockdown is terrifying. Stay safe pal

Well there are four adults whose very lives depend on me at my work, so I don't really think they are going to stop me from going. I could always get my groceries on the way there/back from work to cut down on trips and store them in the work fridge until I go home.

(Luckily the grocery stores round these parts sell hard liquor so I don't have to go to a dedicated liquor store ;))

My work is pretty safe though. All the people I care for have been 100% quarantined since the quarantine first started so unless they already had it before it started being here is as safe as being home.

Ok, remember how I said that one of the few reasons people were allowed out of their homes was to walk their dogs? People started renting out their dogs for people that want to leave the house.

Anuncios-alquiler-perros-Milanuncios_EDIIMA20200319_0434_5.jpg

This is only day 5 of the lockdown.

Back
Top Bottom