• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Coronavirus/Covid-19 Discussion Thread

CatBus said:
Possessed said:
Speaking of good news, I read an article from CNN earlier today that indicated that things in China are starting to calm down and go back to normal. So that's encouraging that maybe the world isn't going to end after all.

Both China and South Korea are definitely going to be the textbook examples of how to keep this under control.  The latter being an important example IMO of how a modern, liberal democracy can successfully keep a pandemic in check through sound policy, appropriate priorities, and levelheaded persistence.  What I'm hoping is that they won't be the only two on that list.

China? Yeah I guess they can be a textbook example of how to keep this under control (except of course the little fact that it all started there and they let it spread throughout the world).

Edit: nevermind, that is probably too close if not over the line.

Why would you strike through and not just delete the post? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

My kids have started their first grade distance learning. It’s going to be a crazy next month (or more).

16791-D49-168-A-43-CA-95-C2-8-A75-D4-EA49-A9.jpg

In the airport now. Flight is set to leave in about an hour. Gotta say, it feels pretty normal here - besides a slight increase in people wearing masks/gloves, and some virus-related announcements.

Then I gotta quarantine for two weeks, where I’ll hopefully work on some edits! If not that, I’ll still be getting some schoolwork done (online classes begin next week) and mess around doing whatever else (all my buddies will be online/isolated as well).

Moe_Syzlak said:

ngl, that made me alllol

Moe_Syzlak said:

I thought maybe the post had already been seen.

My little brother is in kindergarten, and he's going to have online work. I can't say I entirely understand why such young children need this mandatory homework during this time, but it is what it is.

Meanwhile, I got a message from my English teacher saying something like
"Here's some stuff I'd like you to do, but I can not require you to do it"
I will likely not get it all done, as I am busy watching over my little brother during this time off whilst the parents work.

Warbler said:
Moe_Syzlak said:

I thought maybe the post had already been seen.

I was hoping you were gonna say "because when I open the page with the confirmation to delete the post, the button to confirm delete only shows up about a fourth of the time" because then I was gonna be like "same".

I was hoping he just wanted to make sure people knew where he stood on the whole "blame the pangolins" thing.

Felt like a sorry/not sorry thing to me.  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I wonder if we’ll break the “most people online” record in the coming weeks, what with everyone staying inside, online and all.

Was the current record because of any significance? Or just a fluke that there was lots of people on?

CatBus said:
I was hoping he just wanted to make sure people knew where he stood on the whole "blame the pangolins" thing.

I have no idea what a pangolin is.

By the way, if you read “COVID-19” to the tune of “Come on Eileen”, you can never not read it that way.

You can thank @"TVs Frink" for that one!

Cracked out my guitar for the first time in a while today. I sound rusty but the neighbors seem to be enjoying it.

Juntos venceremos.

This old Mitchell & Webb sketch appeared on my timeline :D :

In case you missed the subtle messaging... Remain Indoors!

Warbler said:
CatBus said:

Well, as far as Coronavirus origins go, imagine China -- but instead of doing more than any country on earth has done to stop the spread of the disease, imagine just hanging around eating ants all day.  That's a pangolin.  You can also Google it.

Welp, just found out that this evening everyone will be taking to the balconies and singing 'Bella Ciao', as a way to register our discontent with the state-imposed quarantine. This should be fun.

If you want to show solidarity with Spain and Italy, blast it from your windows at 21:00 CET. (So in a couple hours)

CatBus said:
Warbler said:
CatBus said:

Well, as far as Coronavirus origins go, imagine China -- but instead of doing more than any country on earth has done to stop the spread of the disease, imagine just hanging around eating ants all day.  That's a pangolin.  You can also Google it.

Actually, I did google it, but don’t know what that anteaters have to do with anything here.

Warbler said:
CatBus said:
Warbler said:
CatBus said:

Actually, I did google it, but don’t know what that anteaters have to do with anything here.

*sigh*

Very first non-sponsored hit on a Google search for "pangolins":

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/05/opinion/coronavirus-china-pangolins.html

These markets are everywhere, and some markets in Africa started killing them in response to the disease.  Because really, Pangolin don't give a... wait, wrong weird animal.  But basically if you're looking for something to blame that unleashed this on the world, Pangolins are a pretty good bet.  Health officials locking down entire cities using extreme police state measures, but still failing to keep it contained are pretty far down the list of things to blame for letting it spread.

Back
Top Bottom