• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Coronavirus/Covid-19 Discussion Thread

Gaith

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
That's messed up; the core San Francisco counties are in mandatory-ish shelter-in-place mode, but walking, hiking, and biking have been expressly permitted by the authorities for purposes of exercise and mental health (to say nothing of getting food and other necessary supplies), provided distancing from others is maintained.

Zamros

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Gaith said:
That's messed up; the core San Francisco counties are in mandatory-ish shelter-in-place mode, but walking, hiking, and biking have been expressly permitted by the authorities for purposes of exercise and mental health (to say nothing of getting food and other necessary supplies), provided distancing from others is maintained.

Yeah see, outdoor exercise is prohibited here. On the first day of quarantine, cops were out in the streets telling runners and cyclists to stop what they were doing and go home, as their heavy breathing could spread contaminated droplets.

Gaith

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
And what are dog owners supposed to do? We in SF probably have more dogs than children, and not many have yards. And, how could one justify letting humans walk their dogs, but keeping all other humans confined? Total BS. Keep a sane distance from others, and you'll be fine. :mad:

Possessed

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Are you still allowed to like to to the grocery store and get food (and more importantly vodka ?)?

Zamros

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Dogs are still allowed out for walkies. The rules are basically "If you're outside, you'd better have a good reason for being there" and the list of good reasons is like 5 or 6 things (food from supermarket, medication from pharmacy, going to work, walking the dog and a couple other things).

I'd ask the cops why they are outside too, but y'know, they ain't exactly the friendliest of chaps.

Warbler

Reaction score
Trophy Points
But what are these papers you referred to, that the cop asked to see?

Warbler

Reaction score
Trophy Points
So you are saying the cop did not actually ask to see your papers?

Zamros

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Are you a cop? Because if you are, you have to tell me.

Possessed

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Warbler.

(Man, never thought I would have that opportunity again)

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Moe_Syzlak said:
If you’re like me you like to support the local independent theaters. They will be among the hardest hit by this... I didn’t think that sentiment would be controversial.

It's not controversial, perfectly sensible suggestion.

Ironically, if anything is gonna freak me out, it's how un-freaked-out everybody seems to be where I live. Maybe they're sensible and cool-headed, or insanely naive. We'll see which it is :D .

It'sOnRandom

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Zamros said:
I find it very interesting whenever I see people debating about what places they should/shouldn't go to, considering I can't even walk to the supermarket without a cop asking me for my papers and reasons why I'm out of the house. Like, take a moment to appreciate when making these choices that you still have the ability to choose.

Quarantine isn't fun guys. Please stay clean and healthy, you really don't want to be in a mandatory nationwide lockdown right now.

That must me god damn terrible, I wish you and everyone luck!

CatBus

Reaction score
Trophy Points
TM2YC said:
Moe_Syzlak said:
If you’re like me you like to support the local independent theaters. They will be among the hardest hit by this... I didn’t think that sentiment would be controversial.

It's not controversial, perfectly sensible suggestion.

Ironically, if anything is gonna freak me out, it's how un-freaked-out everybody seems to be where I live. Maybe they're sensible and cool-headed, or insanely naive. We'll see which it is :D .

I've seen this too.  I think it's a mixture of fatalism and failure to see how your actions can directly and significantly benefit yourself.  Most people are going to catch Coronavirus eventually -- what we're trying to do with all of this is prevent everyone from catching it at the same time and overwhelming health systems/causing unnecessary deaths.  But that's pretty abstract compared to other health risks.  Don't want melanoma?  Wear a hat and sunscreen and you've easily and significantly reduced your personal risk.  Don't want leprosy?  Stop eating armadillos (yeah, really).  But Coronavirus?  There's things we can do as a team to help the team, but our own personal risk might still feel like it's hanging out there for a lot of people.  So, feelings of fatalism and helplessness are understandable IMO.  And I don't mind, as long as everyone washes their hands.

Possessed

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Shameful as it may be, I actually kindof suspect I have already had it. I'm only 26 so it's enormously possible for me to get it and recovery with the symptoms being so slight I wouldn't think anything of it. I travel quite a bit just for fun because my work schedule is somewhat flexible. And a month or so ago, I had something that did pretty well match all the symptoms. This was before awareness of it was so high, at least in my area, and since I live in the USA the emergency rooms are so crowded getting tested for it is next to impossible, at least where I live. Thankfully when I'm not traveling I live pretty isolated. I might have given it to a few people at work, but thankfully everyone I work with is young and they all recovered fine and nobody thought anything of it.

Of course we'll never know, but now I'm starting to wonder if I did have it and am just one of the lucky young ones.

Gaith

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
^ That would be nothing to be ashamed of. Highly contagious viruses are a simple fact of life on Earth. We sometimes think that what with all of our fancy gadgets, interplanetary sci-fi, and not-bad frozen dinners, we homo sapiens are the boss of Nature, and that we make the rules. We don't.

I'm not advocating fatalism or apathy, but I do think this is an opportunity for the species to take a few moments, and contemplate our relationship with Spaceship Earth. Remember: not even the Jedi were immortal. :p

CatBus

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Possessed said:
Shameful as it may be, I actually kindof suspect I have already had it. I'm only 26 so it's enormously possible for me to get it and recovery with the symptoms being so slight I wouldn't think anything of it. I travel quite a bit just for fun because my work schedule is somewhat flexible. And a month or so ago, I had something that did pretty well match all the symptoms. This was before awareness of it was so high, at least in my area, and since I live in the USA the emergency rooms are so crowded getting tested for it is next to impossible, at least where I live. Thankfully when I'm not traveling I live pretty isolated. I might have given it to a few people at work, but thankfully everyone I work with is young and they all recovered fine and nobody thought anything of it.

Of course we'll never know, but now I'm starting to wonder if I did have it and am just one of the lucky young ones.

Well our flu season was also pretty brutal this year, so you could have just had one of those.  I was also sick as an (older) dog already this year, with a bad lingering cough, but that was two months ago, and I'm calling it coincidental flu.  But there's an outside chance this has been circulating that long here undetected.

Possessed

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Yeah, I wanted to respond to that statement as well but giving opinions here seems to be frowned on.

Not saying it isn't true. Or giving any opinions. Or guesses. Or even thinking about anything political. In fact I've never even heard of politics.

Top Bottom