• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Coronavirus/Covid-19 Discussion Thread

TM2YC said:
This old Mitchell & Webb sketch appeared on my timeline :D :

Mine, too! Though, taking solitary walks seems to be as reasonably safe as can be expected if one doesn't feel any possible symptoms. Bounds of reason, folks. :p

jrWHAG42 said:
My little brother is in kindergarten, and he's going to have online work. I can't say I entirely understand why such young children need this mandatory homework during this time, but it is what it is.

Lol, wut? I can barely gather the motivation to focus for primarily online work, and I'm in a master's program. But, kindergartners?! Forgetaboutit. Just read books, and get home schooled by adults as best they can. :rolleyes:

Lol. As I said above, my kids’ first day of school since the school closed was today. They had an hour of home room on MS Teams. It was all we could do to keep them for endlessly sending poop emojis on the chat. The teachers are providing lessons and plans but parents are carrying them out. The home room is an attempt to check in and allow some discussion of the assignments and some continued socialization. I feel pretty good about it as I have a masters in early childhood education. But there are a lot of kids that will definitely struggle. Asian kids who don’t know English or German. They were struggling in the classroom and will fall so far behind due to this. But we can’t complain. As a private school we are getting way more support than most worldwide. But yeah, young kids aren’t going to do well in online classes.

A mother on the radio was saying she is making her kids still wear their uniforms at home and work according to their normal school schedule/lesson-times, with breaks at the exact same time to allow them periods to chat to their friends. Seemed like a very sensible suggestion to maintain some sort of normality.

As somebody who used to work at a big retail store as a stock manager, I feel bad for the teams of people that have to refill the empty store shelves in supermarkets right now. Say you've recruited enough man-power to work 100 cages of stock on an average day but the store suddenly needs 100 trucks of stock to fill it back and half your team are sick and all the costumers are screaming about the shelves being empty... we're talking serious stress. At least the employees won't be short of hours for the near future.

Zamros said:
Welp, just found out that this evening everyone will be taking to the balconies and singing 'Bella Ciao', as a way to register our discontent with the state-imposed quarantine. This should be fun.

If you want to show solidarity with Spain and Italy, blast it from your windows at 21:00 CET. (So in a couple hours)

Trevor Noah had a go at that, New York-style (NSFW):

TM2YC said:
As somebody who used to work at a big retail store as a stock manager, I feel bad for the teams of people that have to refill the empty store shelves in supermarkets right now. Say you've recruited enough man-power to work 100 cages of stock on an average day but the store suddenly needs 100 trucks of stock to fill it back and half your team are sick and all the costumers are screaming about the shelves being empty... we're talking serious stress. At least the employees won't be short of hours for the near future.

I used to work in a restaurant, and I really feel for the people working at delivery places right now. When I went outside to take the bins out, one of the very few things I saw was a courier making a food delivery.

Think this crisis is really going to draw attention to which jobs society really needs to function.... Well, I hope anyway.

In the meantime... Bella Ciao is about to start!

Zamros said:
Think this crisis is really going to draw attention to which jobs society really needs to function.

Telephone-Sanitisers will be really important in this crisis.

Just saw on the news that all schools in the UK will be closed on friday, but I wont be going in from today, as I live with my grandparents we don't want to risk me catching anything and passing it on. The best thing with this is that I'll have more time to edit, even though I'll still have online classes

Again, like I've said before, stay safe and stay clean.

CatBus said:
But basically if you're looking for something to blame that unleashed this on the world, Pangolins are a pretty good bet.

I'd rather blame the bald apes.

CatBus said:
Very first non-sponsored hit on a Google search for "pangolins":

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/05/opinion/coronavirus-china-pangolins.html

These markets are everywhere, and some markets in Africa started killing them in response to the disease.  Because really, Pangolin don't give a... wait, wrong weird animal.  But basically if you're looking for something to blame that unleashed this on the world, Pangolins are a pretty good bet.  Health officials locking down entire cities using extreme police state measures, but still failing to keep it contained are pretty far down the list of things to blame for letting it spread.

I would discuss this further, but I don't think the mods would want me to.

TM2YC said:
A mother on the radio was saying she is making her kids still wear their uniforms at home and work according to their normal school schedule/lesson-times, with breaks at the exact same time to allow them periods to chat to their friends. Seemed like a very sensible suggestion to maintain some sort of normality.

Very sensible except the uniform wearing, that seems a little much, imho.

Warbler said:
TM2YC said:

I won't make a judgement on the uniforms but my wife is doing something similar, minus the uniforms.  Ok to still wear pajamas lol.

TVs Frink said:
Warbler said:
TM2YC said:

I won't make a judgement on the uniforms but my wife is doing something similar, minus the uniforms.  Ok to still wear pajamas lol.

I can understand the uniforms. Little things like that can help to emphasise the difference between school time and recreation time.

I don't even own a pair of pajamas and I'm the shining hallmark of mental health

I have a pair of Gryfendor pajama pants

Last week there was a small concert in a church in my town. Some old gospel singer named Sandi Patty. My neighbors went. Hugged her, posted selfies online afterward.

Sandi Patty tested positive, and now says she was feeling symptoms as early as that night, before my state even had any confirmed cases.

Not only is this thing so much worse than we knew, but it’s in my neighborhood.

asterixsmeagol said:
TVs Frink said:
Warbler said:
TM2YC said:

I can understand the uniforms. Little things like that can help to emphasise the difference between school time and recreation time.

but at home?!?

suspiciouscoffee said:
Last week there was a small concert in a church in my town. Some old gospel singer named Sandi Patty. My neighbors went. Hugged her, posted selfies online afterward.

Sandi Patty tested positive, and now says she was feeling symptoms as early as that night, before my state even had any confirmed cases.

Not only is this thing so much worse than we knew, but it’s in my neighborhood.

Its probably going to be in just about every neighborhood before its over.  I think I already mentioned in here that it is already in my neighborhood.

Back
Top Bottom