• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Vote now in wave 1 of the FEOTM Reboot!

Community

Rewatched "Regional Holiday Music" tonight.

I did like it much more now than when I first saw it, but it's still a thorn in my side.

1) I personally generally dislike most holiday themed episodes of TV shows. It's a crutch TV writers use. "Hey it's Christmas!" :) "Fuck Christmas!" :( "Oh we're all happy now at the end because we realized Christmas is a time for joy." :grouphug:

"Abed's Uncontrollable Christmas" did it well and it's pretty obvious they tried to top that. That brings me to my next point.

2) I really wish the writers would stop trying to outdo themselves. One of my favorite "Community" episodes is "Introduction to Film" (S1E03). The emotional reaction from Abed's dad at the end kills me every time I watch it. I would rather have moments like that than the all out crazy meta insanity in episodes like "Documentary Filmmaking: Redux" and "Horror Fiction In Seven Spooky Steps".

3) This episode shows that Dan Harmon is a bitter fuck sometimes. I've listened to the commentaries for Seasons 1 & 2 and he makes it clear how much he loathes "Glee". I don't care for it myself, but the fact that he devoted an entire episode to it makes me kind of sad. "Community" is not about bashing pop culture. At least it didn't used to be. The pop culture themed episodes from the first two seasons (eg: "Contemporary American Poultry", "Epidemiology" and "Critical Film Studies") were loving homages to movies and TV shows. "Regional Holiday Music" is a big middle finger to "Glee" and it didn't need to be.

4) Legit, the Body Snatchers parody is great.

5) Being able to show off Donald Glover rapping is a plus.

6) Abed's lines "For a while there I thought we were I thought we were going to end the semester on a really dark note" sums up perfectly the state of mind I was in when I first watched this episode. The show had been put on hiatus and I feared this would be the last episode aired and I didn't want it to go out like that.

(True, Jeff admitting "this has been a dark semester" is the writers telling us they admit they went overboard.)

7) "Inspector Spacetime"... another way of the writers telling us "Hey, look how fucking stupid this show it, yet people love it."

Final thoughts...

"This show is supposed to be GLEEFUL and BRIGHT and FUN! And you can let me do that or THERE WILL BE ANOTHER BUS CRASH!"

(And speaking of "Community" Christmas episodes, "Comparative Religion" was excellent. It used Christmas as an opportunity to show us how much these characters really care about each other. THAT is what I want to see Community do more often.)

All fair. Even though I like the episode, I don't disagree with any of your points about the show in general.

Uncanny Antman said:

Nice. I thought about putting a gif like that as point #5.

My thoughts about "Curriculum Unavailable":

brilliant681.jpg

wait-what.jpg

4000083099_8b5a74cacb_o.jpg

oh-i-get-it-niiice-thumb.jpg

Quick thoughts about last night's episodes.

Digital Estate Planning. Was worried it was going to be too reliant on the video game theme but enjoyed the ride in the end.

The First Chang Dynasty. I LOVED THIS EPISODE.

Introduction to Finality. Some good, some great, some hardcore disappointments.

Did they run three eps last night?

Yes. And I loved them. And I give the show extra points because the last one was clearly made when they weren't sure about being picked up, as it has that "Maybe the end, maybe not" feel to it. In a good way. :)

white43 said:
Did they run three eps last night?

Yep. They had one at 8, at 8:30 there was an episode of 30 Rock, and then from 9 until 10 they aired another two episodes of Community.

Not a shock. He was a huge prick at the end there.

Just finished watching the third season earlier. I have to say I was really disappointed with the last five episodes. I especially hated the whole Chang rising to power/kidnapping the dean storyline. And I thought the whole air conditioning repair school storyline was rather stupid. I thought I'd enjoy the videogame episode, but I didn't really. And the graphics were a little too good to be made 30 years ago.

I did like seeing

that Starburns wasn't really dead though.

Frantic Canadian said:
I did like seeing

that Starburns wasn't really dead though.

Ah see, that part really upset me.

They didn't have the balls to actually keep him dead. His random off-screen death mid season reminded me of Ms. Choksondiks' death in South Park, which was fucking brilliant.

Frantic Canadian said:
And the graphics were a little too good to be made 30 years ago.
It wasn't made 30 years ago. Pierce asked his father for money to invest in videogames in 1979, but instead Cornelius (Have I mentioned that I love that they named Pierce's father after Chevy's real name?) "spent over 30 years developing a videogame" for him.

I'm more glad than ever that season 3 finished in a "The End?" kind of way. After Dan Harmon being dropped, if season 4 turns out to be more like horrible fanfic than a real continuation, I'll always have this ending. :)

Uncanny Antman said:
It wasn't made 30 years ago. Pierce asked his father for money to invest in videogames in 1979, but instead Cornelius "spent over 30 years developing a videogame" for him.

My bad. I must have heard wrong. I did love the Nintendo graphics though.

Uncanny Antman said:
I'm more glad than ever that season 3 finished in a "The End?" kind of way. After Dan Harmon being dropped, if season 4 turns out to be more like horrible fanfic than a real continuation, I'll always have this ending. :)

Yeah, having Abed go into his own Dreamatorium was the perfect way out.

Frantic Canadian said:
Just read the first part, about to read the second part. I'm not usually a fan of the themed episodes, but I'm loving this one. Excellent fan fiction!

Yeah, Part 1 was pretty fun. Some of the dialogue seemed forced, but the theme worked really well. Haven't read Part 2 yet.

Neglify said:
Yeah, Part 1 was pretty fun. Some of the dialogue seemed forced, but the theme worked really well. Haven't read Part 2 yet.

Second part was good too. A little short though at only 30 pages. Love the post credits sequence.

So am I the only one that thinks it is Abed in "The Human Being" (Greendale Mascot) suit?

Back
Top Bottom