• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Best Star Wars Prequel Trilogy edits

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Fansome said:
the commentary tracks from The Phantom Editor are invaluable resources as to the "why" of his edits and to give you some general tips on how an editor approaches his task in the first place.

Indeed. Everybody should check them out, especially his commentary on AOTC. Even if you aren't interested in fanediting, it's just a damn fine critique of the movie.

TV's Frink

You Catch On Pretty Quick
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I agree about the commentary tracks, but his actual edits have too much unwatchable material in there for me to be able to take seriously.

GregAlex

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I'm about to watch Revenge of the Sith again before Rogue One. 

I'd like to watch one with the Seeds of the Rebellion added with Mon Mothma. 

I believe the choices are:
1) Stankpac's Special Edition  
(https://ifdb.fanedit.org/star-wars-episode-3-revenge-of-the-sith-special-edition/)
2) AEmovieguy's cut 
(https://ifdb.fanedit.org/star-wars-episode-iii-revenge-of-the-sith-an-aemovieguy-cut/)
3) Corgicar's cut
(https://ifdb.fanedit.org/revenge-of-the-sith-corgicar-cut/)

I see some are SD only.

Any recommendations on the best cut with the Rebellion added? And are there other edits that include it I've missed?

ps. I'd assume there's a thread here, perhaps I've blindly missed it (if so apologies!).

Zamros

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I'm currently of the opinion that The Phantom Menace is unsolvable as a movie.
Both fan-edits I've seen (HAL9000's and Q2's) have effectively cut down the Jar Jar bullshit, but haven't been able to solve the movie completely stopping when they arrive on Coruscant or the lack of expression in everyone's voices.

I think what sets TPM apart from AOTC and ROTS is that Phantom is broken as a movie. Episodes II and III have some really fucking awful parts in them but they are generally concentrated into certain parts hence can be effectively minimized. I have seen good versions of Clones and Sith but have yet to see one of Phantom.

Other than Heavy Star Wars, do you guys have any recommendations that might change my opinion? Or is Phantom completely beyond redemption for me?

GregAlex

Reaction score
Trophy Points
GregAlex said:
I'm about to watch Revenge of the Sith again before Rogue One. 

I'd like to watch one with the Seeds of the Rebellion added with Mon Mothma. 

I believe the choices are:
1) Stankpac's Special Edition  
(https://ifdb.fanedit.org/star-wars-episode-3-revenge-of-the-sith-special-edition/)
2) AEmovieguy's cut 
(https://ifdb.fanedit.org/star-wars-episode-iii-revenge-of-the-sith-an-aemovieguy-cut/)
3) Corgicar's cut
(https://ifdb.fanedit.org/revenge-of-the-sith-corgicar-cut/)

I've found a 4th.
4) Dark Force Rising

Seems to be a good choice.

LeonVIII

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Zamros said:
I'm currently of the opinion that The Phantom Menace is unsolvable as a movie.
Both fan-edits I've seen (HAL9000's and Q2's) have effectively cut down the Jar Jar bullshit, but haven't been able to solve the movie completely stopping when they arrive on Coruscant or the lack of expression in everyone's voices.

I think what sets TPM apart from AOTC and ROTS is that Phantom is broken as a movie. Episodes II and III have some really fucking awful parts in them but they are generally concentrated into certain parts hence can be effectively minimized. I have seen good versions of Clones and Sith but have yet to see one of Phantom.

Other than Heavy Star Wars, do you guys have any recommendations that might change my opinion? Or is Phantom completely beyond redemption for me?

have u tried Seciors or L8wrtrs edit?

Zamros

Reaction score
Trophy Points
LeonVIII said:
have u tried Seciors or L8wrtrs edit?

Just watched L8's. Still not a fan. I just find myself getting bored quickly. No fault of the editor's of course, just the movie.

Gonna watch Seciors soon. The only hope is that it is the shortest one on the IFDB, but at this point, I think the film is just too broken for any version to fix it.

Canon Editor

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I see where you’re headed.  You might like Secior’s!  Anyways, may I ask what your preferred versions of Episode II and Episode III are?

addiesin

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Interesting how opinions differ on these films. I find the first to be the most watchable. Of course, that's a low bar. I simply find it to be the most like a real movie out of the prequels. Fan edits have likely helped that over time, but even all the way back when I saw them in theaters, starting with Episode 1, then Episode 2, then Episode 3, I felt like they just kept getting worse. I really thought at the time that 3 would never come out because 1 was so bad and 2 was the opposite of course-correction.

That's just me, but again, I find it interesting how different the reactions are to these films.

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
addiesin said:
Interesting how opinions differ on these films. I find the first to be the most watchable. Of course, that's a low bar. I simply find it to be the most like a real movie out of the prequels. Fan edits have likely helped that over time, but even all the way back when I saw them in theaters, starting with Episode 1, then Episode 2, then Episode 3, I felt like they just kept getting worse. I really thought at the time that 3 would never come out because 1 was so bad and 2 was the opposite of course-correction.

That's just me, but again, I find it interesting how different the reactions are to these films.

^ This. TPM is least worst.

Moe_Syzlak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I think TPM is by FAR the least worst once you consider fan edits. That said, it's still pretty dull and simply not good. That's why I prefer the seciors version. I come down to what can you do to make them least bad. I've long since given up trying to make them a good trilogy with a traditional SW structure, though I understand some feel the need for that. I'm still debating what version to show my kids who are four now. I think they might appreciate all the things I hate about it.

ssj

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
frink's ridiculous edits, once they're a tril. . . trilob. . . ah, fuck it—a trinity.

TV's Frink

You Catch On Pretty Quick
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I'M WORKING AS FAST AS I CAN!!!

giphy.gif

Thanks for the love.

addiesin

Reaction score
Trophy Points
ssj said:
frink's ridiculous edits, once they're a tril. . . trilob. . . ah, fuck it—a trinity.

I think you meant trilobite. 

istock_000027658617_small.jpg

Wait those aren't movies. Maybe you meant trillion. Yeah that's it. Disney will make Star Wars forever. Frink will make Ridiculousness forever.

LeonVIII

Reaction score
Trophy Points
[font=Raleway, sans-serif]lemme know what u think of [font=Raleway, sans-serif]Seciors edit[/font][/font]

ssj

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Tribbles & bits

iridium_ionizer

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Smithers said:
Masirimso17 said:
Anakin burning on screen?

Oh yeah I guess but that's one of the better/more emotional parts of the movie.

In making a kid-friendly edit of Episode III, I wonder if someone could use stock footage or a bit of CGI skills to make Anakin have a Disney Villain Death via a splash of lava and puff of smoke right after Anakin's legs get severed. Sure it wouldn't be as dramatic, but you might be able to retain a few of Obi-wan's lines to Anakin that he is just shouting into the void.

TomH1138

Reaction score
Trophy Points
iridium_ionizer said:
In making a kid-friendly edit of Episode III, I wonder if someone could use stock footage or a bit of CGI skills to make Anakin have a Disney Villain Death via a splash of lava and puff of smoke right after Anakin's legs get severed. Sure it wouldn't be as dramatic, but you might be able to retain a few of Obi-wan's lines to Anakin that he is just shouting into the void.

When I made an (unfinished) attempt at Ep. III a while back, here's what I did:

Anakin jumps, and Obi-Wan chops off his legs.

I then took the footage of Anakin's metal hand clawing its way up the hill and played it backwards, so that it looked like he was losing his grip and sliding into the lava.

Then Obi-Wan grabs the lightsaber and walks away without saying anything. We lose the speechifying, but Obi-Wan's grief-filled expressions are pretty plain in the next few scenes. And this way, Obi-Wan doesn't leave Anakin just burning alive on a hillside.

I never got far enough to do a test that people here could watch, but if someone wanted to try that idea, they could.

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TomH1138 said:
I then took the footage of Anakin's metal hand clawing its way up the hill and played it backwards, so that it looked like he was losing his grip and sliding into the lava.

This is intriguing. It almost implies that Anakin dies. This plus a remove of Padme having twins could preserve the Darth reveal.

TomH1138

Reaction score
Trophy Points
That's a good thought too!

I actually still showed him clawing back again and Palps coming to rescue him. I just want there to be a good reason for Obi-Wan to leave at that moment.

Top Bottom