• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Best Star Wars Prequel Trilogy edits

MusicEd921

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I'm sorry if this topic has been posted, I looked but couldn't find it.

Yesterday some friends had a Star Wars Blu-Ray marathon of all 6 movies back to back. We all mostly talked through 1-3 and then were more focused on 4-6.

My question is what are some recommendations for the better edits of the prequel trilogy? I have the 2 Phantom Cuts (but haven't gotten around to watching them yet).

Which ones seem more inline (if there is such a thing) with the OT?

addiesin

Reaction score
Trophy Points
L8WRTR's Phantom Menace edit is really good, I just watched it yesterday. Other than that, I don't have many recommendations. I ALMOST hate the PT, so naturally I'm more inclined to watch a version that has the ever-living-hell cut out of it. I can't speak for the second one (yet), but Shadow of the Sith manages to lop off a good chunk of bad stuff and retain a movie that, while I might not watch it often, I feel like I could watch it again without hesitating.

white43

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I liked JasonN's Attack of the Federation very much. He tried to incorporate all the best ideas. IMPO, many of the TPM edits don't go far enough.
Phantom Editor's Attack of the Phantom was very good as well.

Kal-El

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Attack of the Federation, and L8's TPM and AOTC edits. Spence's ROTS edit while waiting for L8's closing chapter. The Phantom Editor's cuts are okay, but they became famous because he was one of the first to gain widespread attention. Jambe and adywan have the same deal nowadays. But there are definitely better edits available here than TPE and AOFP.

TMBTM

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Kerr's fanedit of Episode 3 is great. Although a bit short for a SW movie. But that's the price to pay (same with L8wrtr fanedits, that also are great).

Sunarep

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TMBTM said:
Kerr's fanedit of Episode 3 is great. Although a bit short for a SW movie. But that's the price to pay (same with L8wrtr fanedits, that also are great).

yeah Kerr's is one of the best but it feels really short.
Lucas might have lost a lot of narrative skills, but he realized that a star wars movie should be about 2h - that will for me be always the problem with the prequel edits, the good edits reduce so much that they are no longer movies andmore one-shots

Omaru1982

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I liked JasonN's EPI along with L8wrtr's.
EPII I like Spence's and L8wrtr's
EPIII currently I like Stankpac's but I'm anticipating Reign of the Darkside and you guessed it... L8wrtrs!

wabid

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I thought I would throw this in here, in case anyone stumbles into this thread.

True Edits
EP I: Return of the Sith (Seciors)
EP I: Shadows of the Sith (L8WRTR)
EP I: Attack of the Federation (Jasonn)

EP II: The Republic Divided (L8WRTR)
EP II: Attack of the Clones - The Spence Edit (Spence)
EP II: Path to the Dark Side - The Diamond Cut (Diamond Wan)

EP III: Dark Force Rising (Kerr)
EP III: Revenge of the Sith [Special Edition] (Stankpac)
EP III: Revenge of the Sith - an AEmovieguy Cut (AEmovieguy)

EP IV: Star Wars EP IV 2004 Special Edition REVISITED (Adywan)
EP IV: Star Wars - Despecialized Edition (Harmy)

EP V: The Empire Strikes Back - Despecialized Edition (Harmy)
EP V: The Empire Strikes Back - Theatrical Reconstruction (Adywan)

EP VI: The Return of the Jedi - The Spence Final Cut (Spence)
EP VI: The Return of the Jedi: Dan Edit (Yads)

Adaptions
EP I: The Ridiculous Menace (TV's Frink)
EP II: Attack of the Clones: The Super 8 Cut (Rogue-theX)
EP IV: War of the Stars: A New Hope Grindhouse (The Man Behind the Mask)

Commentary by RedLetterMedia
EP I: The Phantom Menace Review
EP II: Attack Of The Clones Reviewed

Dwight Fry

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
51280678.jpg

geminigod

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Can't wait for the summer showdown between Thunderclap (Q2 or whatever the fuck I am supposed to call you now) and L8wrtr. It will be Star Wars HD madness!

Q2, have you considered mashing your names together into a new identity? Perhaps Q2'sGotTheClap?

Q2

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
geminigod said:
Can't wait for the summer showdown between Thunderclap (Q2 or whatever the fuck I am supposed to call you now) and L8wrtr. It will be Star Wars HD madness!

You've discovered our secret plan to take over the world!

Q2, have you considered mashing your names together into a new identity? Perhaps Q2'sGotTheClap?

I never considered something quite that bold. Very interesting...

wabid

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Seciors is ready for battle. His Phantom Menace gives L8WRTR a run for his money. It's a hard choice.

stretch009

Reaction score
Trophy Points
wabid said:
Seciors is ready for battle. His Phantom Menace gives L8WRTR a run for his money. It's a hard choice.

It's not a hard choice for me. Seciors' edit is by far the best TPM edit ever.

TV's Frink

You Catch On Pretty Quick
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I don't ever recall thinking that...and I certainly didn't change anything.

Mojo_LA

Reaction score
Trophy Points
The Phatom Editor's EpII recut "Attack of the Phantom" is a fan edit masterpiece. Still the best i've seen. Plus it has a really entertaining commentary track!

Also keep in mind that The Phatom is a "real" editor who has been working in Hollywood for many years. He's a true pro and is one of those handfull of artists out there that seem born to do what they do.

Now just because someone is a pro doesn't mean they are good - look at Lucas :-D the razor sharp instinct it takes to be a great editor are just that - instincts - and it's something you are either born with or not. Spielberg is like that; every time I see one of his films, even if the movie doesn't turn out great, there are always flashes of brilliance - usually the way a shot is staged - that make you say "wow I never would have thought of that."

Unfortunately, the desire to be an editor isn't going to be enough for most people to become one, simply because they weren't blessed with that 6th sense (which is why 90% of the edits here are ok but not great).

But I'm sure a few of the guys here will edit their first film and realize they are onto something... they love the process and will spend weeks on a single edit, agonizing over a few frames here and there, or spending an entire day just to rework the audio to cover an edit (I know, i've been there).

those are the ones who will probably move on to greatness! And we can say we knew them way back when :)

Anyway, Attack of the Phantom is the result of someone who really knows what he's doing. Personally, i'd go as far as to say that anyone who doesn't think his cut of Ep II is brilliant and makes it a better movie has no idea what they are talking about! That's how good I think it is.

But like I also said, he has a commentary track on there where he explain the reasons behind every cut, and it's like a 4 week editing class compressed into a 2 hour lesson. Anyone out there who has a serious interest in editing really should closely examine "Atttack of the Phantom" and listen to his commentary. I guarantee it will be an education (or at least provide an extra 2 hours of entertainment).

Top Bottom