• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Best Star Wars Prequel Trilogy edits

Hal9000

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Most all of that can be found in the edit's main thread, as well as the one at OT.com.
Not sure how I'd have been able to make characters use the name 'Ben.'
Perhaps information on Kerr's or L8wrtr's Ep3 edits can shed light on the Palpatine reveal, since they preceded me in using that technique.
And all I can do is imply that offscreen the characters decided what to do with the twins. It's really more of a problem caused by ROTJ. Q2 used this method before me too, and he got it in turn from The Cutter's unfinished edit at OT.com.

Why not download some shareware and join the fun?

CARZ

Reaction score
Trophy Points
The movie does not sustain itself.

The name Ben shows how you didn't manage to eliminate contradictions in the movies. What you did was breaking a movie (that had and still have contradictions) into something that doesn't really make sense. I'm sorry to tell you.

Hopefully you will be able to do something possitive with this critique.

Hal9000

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Maybe I should do a new edit where I undo everything I did in my edit. I could call it Episode III: Revenge of the Sith.
These things you're talking about are in keeping with my project's stated goals. You're not providing anything constructive. I'd just suggest taking a look around at other Ep3 edits and see if another one more closely aligns with what you'd prefer.

TomH1138

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Hear hear, HAL!

Also, I disagree with CARZ's suggestion that you made unnecessary cuts to prequel trilogy dialogue. All prequel dialogue is unnecessary garbage. It's impossible to cut too much out. ;)

asterixsmeagol

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I finally finished The Clone Wars last week so I was ready for Q2's Revenge of the Sith this weekend. I loved that it retained the mystery of Vader for The Empire Strikes Back and that it keeps Padme alive through childbirth (but I was then confused about Anakin's vision earlier) with her apparently keeping one kid with the other going to Lars on Tatooine. As much bad acting and unnecessary light saber fighting was removed as possible but due to the terrible performances throughout he obviously couldn't fix everything. Still, this affirms that Q2's version of the prequel trilogy is my favorite. I'm going to try to watch some of the triune PT edits this week.

A Sled in Flames

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Bit of a necrobump, but thought I'd chime in. Been getting fanedits for years, with the express goal of finding the perfect cuts of the prequels...

My two cents:

Episode 1: HAL 9000's Cloak of Deception- An absolutely brilliant streamlining of a horribly bloated movie.

ALT: I, not to be old fashioned, still also really enjoy Magnoliafan's Balance of the Force. His subtitled Jar Jar is very hilarious... and oddly even a bit charming in his arrogance. Certainly, he takes a lot of influence from the New York Phantom Edit, but his is better in almost all ways. Did we ever find out if he was Kevin Smith? :)

Episode 2: Trooperman's Shroud of the Dark Side Workprint- God, what an edit! It feels like a completely different movie, with new music, color correction, and very clever editing/effects. The rearrangement of shots is just so effective; showing it to my fellow film school friends, they agree that his version shows the power of editing. It's as if Marcia Lucas gave Attack of the Clones the form it desperately needed. I only wish it could be redone in higher quality. That said, the dubbing of Anakin is quite effective! Though it cannot fit cohesively with any other fanedited trilogy, it's certainly worth the watch!

ALT: HAL 9000's The Approaching Storm- a more straightforward fanfix, albeit one that thoroughly cleanses the film of its most egregious aspects. Thank you for cutting out the Yoda duel!

The Phantom Editor's Attack of the Phantom is also quite interesting, much better in my opinion than his first, more famous edit.

Episode 3: HAL 9000's Labyrinth of Evil is high up there for me. I loved a lot of L8wrtr's edit but fundamentally disagree with his decision to leave in any of Yoda lightsaber fighting. Note that I still do

ALT: I was blown away by Dark Force Rising when I come out and occasionally check it. To be honest, the superb video and audio quality of HAL 9000's is a big part of what puts it a few rungs above Kerr's edit.

Beyond that, I watched the Neon Noir edit. I really, really dug the concept behind it, and there was some very innovative edits- it's as if someone just had a list of all the different scenes in the prequels and ordered them in a brand new way. That said, the edit suffers in the quality department; though I realize the immense difficulty in replacing audio, it was just too distracting to have electronic music and the score of John Williams's clashing. Sometimes, a character would speak with the original underscoring audible, and, then at the end of the line, William's score would vanish abruptly. I would love a V2 with better audio work and video quality, even if all the actors needed to be redubbed (as Shroud of the Darkside proves, this can work).

I've been hearing GREAT things about The Blackened Mantle (Japanese 3-in-1 edit). I've watched clips and have been very impressed, but what I've seen. It's as if Lucas literally decided to pay tribute to Kurosawa. The dubbing is of good quality, and the subtitled lines, as I've seen them, are well written.

TomH1138

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Thanks for sharing your insights, Sled!

Maybe I'm wrong, but it seems like it would be kind of fun to have prequel edits with the changes voted upon by people here. In other words, the edit wouldn't be the work of one person with suggestions from others, but that the work would be decided by voting from everyone in the forum who participates. It would be interesting to see what parts were kept and what were gotten rid of, if the whole thing was done as a community effort.

I don't know if this forum has ever attempted anything like this before. I don't know if it's logistically just too difficult. I just thought of it, and it kind of sounds like fun. :)

TV's Frink

You Catch On Pretty Quick
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TomH1138 said:
Maybe I'm wrong, but it seems like it would be kind of fun to have prequel edits with the changes voted upon by people here. In other words, the edit wouldn't be the work of one person with suggestions from others, but that the work would be decided by voting from everyone in the forum who participates. It would be interesting to see what parts were kept and what were gotten rid of, if the whole thing was done as a community effort.

That sounds like it would be a lot of fun and a complete mess at the same time.

GregAlex

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I'm considering watching my original versions with my kids instead of a Fanedit.

I've been really surprised at the age of children at some movies, but my kids friends know the films and of all films I think Star Wars has more appeal for them. (On a related note I've been wishing superhero films were released in child-friendly versions).

My kids are 5 and 6... And the childish jarJar scenes (etc) will probably work for them. We just watched Adywan's edit and they loved it.

Can anyone recommend SW fanedits best for kids?

Masirimso17

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
GregAlex said:
I'm considering watching my original versions with my kids instead of a Fanedit.

I've been really surprised at the age of children at some movies, but my kids friends know the films and of all films I think Star Wars has more appeal for them. (On a related note I've been wishing superhero films were released in child-friendly versions).

My kids are 5 and 6... And the childish jarJar scenes (etc) will probably work for them. We just watched Adywan's edit and they loved it.

Can anyone recommend SW fanedits best for kids?

I have an Episode I "Minimal Politics Edition" in the works and an Episode III "PG Edition" planned. They could work quite well, including the official Episode II as well. You'll have to wait, though. As far as I know, there aren't any other changes to any of the films specific to only aiming their edits to children.

GregAlex

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Masirimso17 said:
As far as I know, there aren't any other changes to any of the films specific to only aiming their edits to children.

A side note to my desire for a kid-friendly version.

Someone pointed out to me the incredibly obvious... if I record Star Wars showing on network television, the worst bits (for kids) are all edited out pretty cleanly. I've done that for a couple of Marvel movies and it's worked well.

TV's Frink

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I can't imagine a network editing Star Wars for kids.  For time, sure, but for mature content?

Smithers

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I can imagine them cutting Anakin murdering children but other than that I'm not sure what they'd do.

Masirimso17

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Smithers said:
I can imagine them cutting Anakin murdering children but other than that I'm not sure what they'd do.

Anakin burning on screen?

ssj

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
i think the best star wars prequels are Flash Gordon, The Hidden Fortress, and Metropolis.

oh, wait. . . .

Smithers

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Masirimso17 said:
Smithers said:

Anakin burning on screen?

Oh yeah I guess but that's one of the better/more emotional parts of the movie.

Daxtreme

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I was wondering if it would be possible to make a sort of Trilogy edit that mainly focused on Episode III, along with flashbacks to explain the things that absolutely need explaining? (and a new crawl)

Basically you take Revenge of the Sith, by far the best of the prequels, cut a few things, but leave the rest intact. What you do with that time is fill in the absolutely essential stuff from Episodes I and II in the forms of flashbacks (or along with force visions?) so that the viewer isn't confused...

... and that's it! Star Wars prequels becomes Star Wars prequel, and would be ideally watched as a sort of "bonus" material for OT watchers.

It would be quite longer than episode III alone, I was thinking around ~2h30-2h40

Main challenge would be, well, how to make those flashbacks fit?

TV's Frink

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I don't think you've quite grasped the point of this thread.

Fansome

Reaction score
Trophy Points
The Phantom Editors's first two releases along with the followup for ROTJ from an "apprentice" known as The Spence Edit are still the gold standard for me. They're faithful versions of this films that come at them merely from the perspective of actual editing and improve each film by about a point on the ten-scale without chopping them down unnecessarily into a "compilation of the good bits" which seems to too often be what goes on when it comes to the prequel trilogy.

Plus, the commentary tracks from The Phantom Editor are invaluable resources as to the "why" of his edits and to give you some general tips on how an editor approaches his task in the first place.

Top Bottom