• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Best Star Wars Prequel Trilogy edits

TomH1138

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Hi, slyfox! Hopefully the thread that this post has been added to will give you a good head-start. :)

P.S. D'oh! How did I miss the entire extra page in between these posts? Oh, well.

P.P.S. Merry Christmas, everyone!

Eruorto

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I, too, am new to the fan edit scene. I just watched the Star Wars Neon Noir edit on YouTube with my brother, who is also a big Star Wars fan. It was a fun take on the prequel trilogy. The replacement soundtrack was effective, and the editor's choices of scenes and dialogue to keep or cut worked really well.

There are a couple of jumpy edits and maybe a handful of scenes that transition a bit abruptly (like they could've used a second or two of black before moving into the next scene) but nothing too jarring. There are also some spots, as have been pointed out in other forum posts, where the dialogue is a little hard to hear. It would be nice to have the levels bumped up there. Perhaps they are areas where the original soundtrack/score is louder? I'm sure those kinds of things are always a challenge to editors, since you don't have the isolated dialogue tracks.

At any rate, we enjoyed the Neon Noir version of the prequel trilogy a lot.

I'm hoping to find Hal9000's edits to see his treatments of the individual movies - I hear they're quite good. However, as of this writing, they seem to be offline. I also have octoroxx's Episode I - Faster, More Intense in the wings.

macmilln

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
[One year later]

What about 3-in-one edits? Reading the first half of this thread, and skimming the second, I didn't see any mention of these. I've acquired a few but haven't gotten around to watching any (I'm a bit of a hoarder). I did watch one I was reviewing for the IFDB, but it was also a pretty heavy FanMix, and had quite a few noticeable moments of editing and cuts.

Empire Begins seems like the one to try out, but I'm still not convinced this sort of thing would work.

Does anybody who has checked a few of these out care to chime in?

MusicEd921

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
macmilln said:
[One year later]

What about 3-in-one edits? Reading the first half of this thread, and skimming the second, I didn't see any mention of these. I've acquired a few but haven't gotten around to watching any (I'm a bit of a hoarder). I did watch one I was reviewing for the IFDB, but it was also a pretty heavy FanMix, and had quite a few noticeable moments of editing and cuts.

Empire Begins seems like the one to try out, but I'm still not convinced this sort of thing would work.

I have an idea for one, but it’s hard to piece together with how jarring the changes in story go and how things jump around in a 3-in-1 edit.

macmilln

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
musiced921 said:
macmilln said:
[One year later]

I have an idea for one, but it’s hard to piece together with how jarring the changes in story go and how things jump around in a 3-in-1 edit.

Yeah, this was/is my concern about them, too. I don't know how one could effectively do so without it being jarring purely because of the time jump. Unless they were to really negate the Star Wars 'style', and try something entirely new in terms of storytelling and 'flow'.

Jrzag42

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
The best 3 in 1 edit is "The Blackened Mantle". It drastically changes the style and story though.

First off, it uses the Japanese dub so that the dialogue is told through subtitles that have been rewritten.
It's told in a nonlinear format, jumping back and forth between the Plot threads of AotC and RotS, with flashbacks to TPM as well.
Grevious and Maul are now the same character, giving Obi Wan more motivation and giving the Grevious fight more depth.
The Jedi are presented more as Green Lantern esque space cops than a religion.

It makes for an amazing story. You can find it on YouTube.

But if you're looking for something that just condenses the story of the prequels, I can't help you.

Eruorto

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I enjoyed the Neon Noir 3-in-1. You can find it on Youtube. It's not perfect - there are a couple of abrupt cuts and some audio level issues, but it streamlines the story well and is pretty fun. The idea is to give the trilogy a noir feel along the lines of Blade Runner. The editor replaced a lot of the soundtrack with synth music.

Jrzag42

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Eruorto said:
I enjoyed the Neon Noir 3-in-1. You can find it on Youtube. It's not perfect - there are a couple of abrupt cuts and some audio level issues, but it streamlines the story well and is pretty fun. The idea is to give the trilogy a noir feel along the lines of Blade Runner. The editor replaced a lot of the soundtrack with synth music.

This is another favorite of mine, would recommend. However, trying to re-watch it again, some elements just happen without exposition or meaning, so you kind of have to be familiar with the plot of the originals.

Eruorto

Reaction score
Trophy Points
jrWHAG42 said:
This is another favorite of mine, would recommend. However, trying to re-watch it again, some elements just happen without exposition or meaning, so you kind of have to be familiar with the plot of the originals.

True, it's not really an edit for someone who hasn't seen the prequels before. It's great if you're looking for a new take on the trilogy.

DantheMan

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
As the title implies, what is, in your opinion, the best and/or most transformative edit of Star Wars: The Phantom Menace?

Moe_Syzlak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Now I feel bad that this is the only response. TBH, I do t have a legitimate recommendation. For me the PT is a lost cause, but I know there are many who enjoy it, so hopefully someone will provide a real recommendation.

Phase3

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I have done an edit that removes 40+ minutes, and re-recorded dialogue, plus added some new VFX.
I don't know if that may be of interest to you?

StarkillerAG

Reaction score
Trophy Points
As the title implies, what is, in your opinion, the best and/or most transformative edit of Star Wars: The Phantom Menace?
I don't have a definitive opinion on "the best", but as for "most transformative", Andreas's "The Ancient Lore" edit takes the cake:

https://ifdb.fanedit.org/star-wars-episode-i-the-ancient-lore/

As he describes it, it's less of a "fanedit" and more of a "remake": completely transforming the original film from a dull kids' movie into a thrilling, mature adventure. There are a few aspects that took me out of the experience a bit (Andreas says he's going to release a V2, although I highly doubt he will), but overall it's an almost mind-blowing demonstration of the power of fanediting. Just don't expect to be able to follow it up with the other two prequels, it's not canon-compatible in the slightest.

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Hal9000's Prequel Trilogy edits are in my opinion the best. It isn't perfect but I think they help trim down issues people had with the Prequels like Jar Jar Binks, Midichlorians, and stilted acting to name a few. The opening crawls for The Phantom Menace (renamed to "Cloak of Deception") and Attack of the Clones (renamed to "The Approaching Storm") are superior to the ones used in the actual film.

JosephDQuinn

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
The first fanedit I ever did way back in 2014 was a combination of the Prequels into one movie, titled Star Wars: Rise of the Empire.
I based my edit on notes that I had read from a private screening where Topher Grace had done the same edit. His ran 85 mins. Mine runs 2hrs 45mins. My edit isn't hosted on the site because it is in desperate need of a remaster as I had yet to learn about lossless conversion after ripping the blurays, so it's only in 720p.
Perhaps I'll remaster it someday, but if you are interested in seeing the original version, dm me!

Galahaddulac

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Just for Info, for 3-1 Edits i think blackened Mantle takes the crown easily. its been re-released in 1080p and there is a special "black and white" version floating around as well, that looks pretty good. And on original trilogy forums I have found a KURASAWA Edit of Blackened Mantle made by Spoonito. It alters the colors to look like a Kurasawa movie (who was a big inspiration for George Lucas at the time) which is a really nice idea. I think and fits the tone of the edit perfectly. Highly recommended.

Last edited:
Top Bottom