• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot. More details on our policies, especially our Own the Source rule are available here. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Favorite Edit of the Year (FEOTY) Nominations for 2020 are now open! Submit your entries here.

Best Star Wars Prequel Trilogy edits

TomH1138

Well-known member
Messages
2,781
Reaction score
5
Trophy Points
43
Hi, slyfox! Hopefully the thread that this post has been added to will give you a good head-start. :)

P.S. D'oh! How did I miss the entire extra page in between these posts? Oh, well.

P.P.S. Merry Christmas, everyone!
 

Eruorto

New member
Messages
4
Reaction score
0
Trophy Points
1
I, too, am new to the fan edit scene. I just watched the Star Wars Neon Noir edit on YouTube with my brother, who is also a big Star Wars fan. It was a fun take on the prequel trilogy. The replacement soundtrack was effective, and the editor's choices of scenes and dialogue to keep or cut worked really well.

There are a couple of jumpy edits and maybe a handful of scenes that transition a bit abruptly (like they could've used a second or two of black before moving into the next scene) but nothing too jarring. There are also some spots, as have been pointed out in other forum posts, where the dialogue is a little hard to hear. It would be nice to have the levels bumped up there. Perhaps they are areas where the original soundtrack/score is louder? I'm sure those kinds of things are always a challenge to editors, since you don't have the isolated dialogue tracks.

At any rate, we enjoyed the Neon Noir version of the prequel trilogy a lot.

I'm hoping to find Hal9000's edits to see his treatments of the individual movies - I hear they're quite good. However, as of this writing, they seem to be offline. I also have octoroxx's Episode I - Faster, More Intense in the wings.
 

macmilln

Well-known member
Faneditor
Messages
565
Reaction score
25
Trophy Points
53
[One year later]

What about 3-in-one edits? Reading the first half of this thread, and skimming the second, I didn't see any mention of these. I've acquired a few but haven't gotten around to watching any (I'm a bit of a hoarder). I did watch one I was reviewing for the IFDB, but it was also a pretty heavy FanMix, and had quite a few noticeable moments of editing and cuts.

Empire Begins seems like the one to try out, but I'm still not convinced this sort of thing would work.

Does anybody who has checked a few of these out care to chime in?
 

MusicEd921

Well-known member
Donor
Faneditor
Messages
1,552
Reaction score
54
Trophy Points
78
macmilln said:
[One year later]

What about 3-in-one edits? Reading the first half of this thread, and skimming the second, I didn't see any mention of these. I've acquired a few but haven't gotten around to watching any (I'm a bit of a hoarder). I did watch one I was reviewing for the IFDB, but it was also a pretty heavy FanMix, and had quite a few noticeable moments of editing and cuts.

Empire Begins seems like the one to try out, but I'm still not convinced this sort of thing would work.

Does anybody who has checked a few of these out care to chime in?

I have an idea for one, but it’s hard to piece together with how jarring the changes in story go and how things jump around in a 3-in-1 edit.
 

macmilln

Well-known member
Faneditor
Messages
565
Reaction score
25
Trophy Points
53
musiced921 said:
macmilln said:
[One year later]

What about 3-in-one edits? Reading the first half of this thread, and skimming the second, I didn't see any mention of these. I've acquired a few but haven't gotten around to watching any (I'm a bit of a hoarder). I did watch one I was reviewing for the IFDB, but it was also a pretty heavy FanMix, and had quite a few noticeable moments of editing and cuts.

Empire Begins seems like the one to try out, but I'm still not convinced this sort of thing would work.

Does anybody who has checked a few of these out care to chime in?

I have an idea for one, but it’s hard to piece together with how jarring the changes in story go and how things jump around in a 3-in-1 edit.

Yeah, this was/is my concern about them, too. I don't know how one could effectively do so without it being jarring purely because of the time jump. Unless they were to really negate the Star Wars 'style', and try something entirely new in terms of storytelling and 'flow'.
 

Jrzag42

Well-known member
Faneditor
Messages
2,744
Reaction score
123
Trophy Points
88
The best 3 in 1 edit is "The Blackened Mantle". It drastically changes the style and story though.

First off, it uses the Japanese dub so that the dialogue is told through subtitles that have been rewritten.
It's told in a nonlinear format, jumping back and forth between the Plot threads of AotC and RotS, with flashbacks to TPM as well.
Grevious and Maul are now the same character, giving Obi Wan more motivation and giving the Grevious fight more depth.
The Jedi are presented more as Green Lantern esque space cops than a religion.

It makes for an amazing story. You can find it on YouTube.

But if you're looking for something that just condenses the story of the prequels, I can't help you.
 

Eruorto

New member
Messages
4
Reaction score
0
Trophy Points
1
I enjoyed the Neon Noir 3-in-1. You can find it on Youtube. It's not perfect - there are a couple of abrupt cuts and some audio level issues, but it streamlines the story well and is pretty fun. The idea is to give the trilogy a noir feel along the lines of Blade Runner. The editor replaced a lot of the soundtrack with synth music.
 

Jrzag42

Well-known member
Faneditor
Messages
2,744
Reaction score
123
Trophy Points
88
Eruorto said:
I enjoyed the Neon Noir 3-in-1. You can find it on Youtube. It's not perfect - there are a couple of abrupt cuts and some audio level issues, but it streamlines the story well and is pretty fun. The idea is to give the trilogy a noir feel along the lines of Blade Runner. The editor replaced a lot of the soundtrack with synth music.

This is another favorite of mine, would recommend. However, trying to re-watch it again, some elements just happen without exposition or meaning, so you kind of have to be familiar with the plot of the originals.
 

Eruorto

New member
Messages
4
Reaction score
0
Trophy Points
1
jrWHAG42 said:
This is another favorite of mine, would recommend. However, trying to re-watch it again, some elements just happen without exposition or meaning, so you kind of have to be familiar with the plot of the originals.

True, it's not really an edit for someone who hasn't seen the prequels before. It's great if you're looking for a new take on the trilogy.
 
Top Bottom