• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Best Star Wars Prequel Trilogy edits

bagginses

Reaction score
Trophy Points
do you happen to have this compatibility spreadsheet available? I would love to take a look at it!

jicama

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Hal9000 said:
And not all edits have changelogs posted so some are missing due to lack of easily accessible information.

To fill in one of the empty cells: The battle droids are silent in The Phantom Edit.

CARZ

Reaction score
Trophy Points
So, Hal9000's trilogy is the best one out there?

I saw his take on Ep 1 and 2 (Ep 3 will be downloaded in half an hour), and found what I consider unnecessary cuts in many dialogues, like in Ep 1, for instance, when the vicerroy is talking to the hollogram of Amidala (at the beginning of the movie). I just don't know why so many lines were taken away. I mean, is it just about proving you can surgically remove things or is it about justifiable removals, or about trying to create something different?

I just wanted a good prequel trilogy, and so far I'm confused about the inclusion of those low quality deleted scenes and the removal of "don't surrender Jar Jar" "I surrender" joke, while the hit in the balls joke was kept.

It was an awesome experience, nevertheless, and it's the first time I see a fan edit of the prequels.

Hal9000

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
^I trimmed the Gunray/Amidala scene in order to downplay the political minutia from the pre-invasion scenes. It may not be altogether successful but I wanted to imply the Neimoidians were in the process of invading, to simplify their motives.
Many of the deleted scenes in all three were worth including despite their unfortunate SD resolution. And I couldn't really have removed the balls thing without it being jarring, or making it seem like Tarpals came out of nowhere.
I'd like to think I had a reason for all edits made, and certainly wasn't trying to show off. lol

CARZ

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Okay... but I would love that (if you ever plan of making an update) you include the "don't surrender Jar Jar" joke (because it's actually funny) and don't cut information regarding politics, as the prequels are not only about Anakin but also about Palpatine's rising, and politics is impossible to remove from the prequels and is also the most "mature" part of it all.

Hal9000

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
What can I say? I felt the overemphasis on minutia like that at the very beginning of the first prequel sets a boring tone.
And I removed the surrender joke for the reasons the original Phantom Editor did: it makes Jar Jar a traitor. The other Gunguns would have beaten him senseless at the outrage that he gets put on a pedestal at the parade at the end.
After all, the reason I did my own edits was precisely because I couldn't find an existing one that was exactly how I would have done it.

CARZ

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Also, I wish there were a way of having a fan edit that were good without low quality source material (such as deleted scenes). I mean... an actual fan edit that could become the definitive version...!

I agree on the don't surrender thing. Good reasoning there!

Oh, and I insist, I'm enjoying your edits A LOT. They're better than the originals by far...! I'm just being picky.

TV's Frink

You Catch On Pretty Quick
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
There are multiple edits in HD that did upscales of the deleted scenes. Unfortunately there is no HD footage of those deleted scenes, since they weren't included on the Blu-rays, so that's as good as it will get.

Hal9000

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Not all of them have other non-HD sources either, like t58945 or whatever his name is.

asterixsmeagol

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
The main thing I like that l8wrtr did was to remove Anakin from the final space battle in Episode I. I think both your (Hal) version and his are about as good for Episode II. I actually haven't watched either your or his Episode III edits yet. I'm planning on it after I finish The Clone Wars.

Hal9000

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Nice. L8wrtr would have been my choice if I hadn't done my own.

CARZ

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I see... okay, EpIII is ready so I'm watching it right now! :D

I did not like classic Star Wars music at the end of EpII because I feel that music is "Darth Vader's music", but, like I said, I'm being picky.

What else can I say? You fixed EpII for me. That was the movie I hated the most, and now it looks like a very good movie. I love what you did with it, overall. It's fantastic!

I'm definitively making Spanish subtitles for the 3 of them. I'll let you know when I have them.

Regards, and thanks for sharing that awesome stuff...!!! :D

Hal9000

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Thanks, man. I didn't altar the ending music for Ep2; the Imperial March was already there.

asterixsmeagol

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Crap, I got mixed up. l8wrtr used to be my favorite. Q2 is the one who removed Anakin from the Battle of Naboo which made his edit my new favorite. Now that I'm remembering better I think Hal's and l8wrtr's edits were both pretty similar. I honestly can't remember which one I liked better.

TV's Frink

You Catch On Pretty Quick
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Yes, L8wrtr didn't remove Ani from the TPM battle. He changed it so that Ani was the hero on purpose, instead of by dumb accident.

CARZ

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Dude...! WTF man? Patme got ride of Luke? I don't see how that works...!

I was happy with the idea that Leia's last memories of her mother were those of a step mother instead of the actual Patme. I think this is a horrible mistake for an otherwise awesome edit.

Something you could have done is that everyone should be calling Obi Wan "Ben" or "Ben Kenobi" in this last movie to justify Alex Guiness' words in the original Star Wars .

The thing I love the most about your edits is how you took away Yoda's fights. It feels better that way, but EpIII has some very poor choices, if you don't mind that I tell you... Palpatine not burning his face with electricity but rather appearing like a mutant without Anaking to say a word about it is another huge flaw.

Now I officially hate this edit. I had to say it. I wanted to use machete order on this, but this ending is just... impossible.

On a good side note, I did like how you took away Kenobi's absolute: "Only a sith deals in absolutes". But I did not like how you simplified so much the adventure inside the huge ship at the beginning, how Palpatine now did not told Anakin to kill Dooku and other things. I mean, can you please tell me why you took all those choices? I am very interesting in knowing!

Top Bottom