• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Arrow

Yeah, that was definitely a weird finale, and not in a very good way. I agree, bob, that Rha's/the League was totally underdeveloped. If they were against Merlyn's undertaking, just what makes them evil, again? And though the Rha's actor did a great mournful face, topping Slade's batshit insanity was so obviously impossible it's perhaps just as well they didn't even try.

I can't say I didn't enjoy seeing Ollie come back roaring, and I'm glad he swore never to forgive Merlyn, but his reasons for trusting him with the League are completely unclear at best. And the whole Flash crossover appearance is really why I vote against Batman and Superman sharing a continuity; they're just too tonally and powers-wise mismatched, though Barry admiring the fortress' "hot tub" was pretty funny.

Definitely interested to see flashback Ollie deciding to wander the land. Should be an interesting counterpoint to him and Felicity traveling in the present. And I'm glad to see them together again with hardly any resentment/adjustment drama-angst, though that certainly wouldn't have felt unreasonable, given all the stuff of the past few eps. Now that they're finally together, and Ollie's happy, I really hope they're not broken apart for some bull reason. And wasn't Diggle the father supposed to be retiring to, y'know, be a dad?!

All in all, a very uneven season, and I wouldn't be one bit surprised if Berlanti's duties on Flash and Supergirl and the Oscars took their toll on the showrunning here. (I mean, Amanda Waller wasn't even mentioned during this crisis.) Maybe the writers bit off a bit more than they could chew this time... hope they set some more attainable, perhaps more modest goals, for next season. After all, it isn't until Season 5 that the flashbacks ought to come to their conclusion, bringing everything full circle in an epic bit of legendary awesomeness. Indeed, maybe a dialed-back S4 really is the right way to go. Either way, I'll certainly be watching. This season certainly wasn't the home run of S1 or the grand slam of S2, but it wasn't a failure either, and I'm of course way too deep to back away now. :razz:

Also, some humor from The AV Club:

Me so want to go to Comic Con...

So, actor Matt Ryan has a guest appearance this upcoming season as none other than John Constantine, which my headcanon says means the show Constantine is part of the ever-growing Arrow-verse. (Tangentially, due to the idea of Superman being around for many many years, I believe Supergirl could work as a different timeline/universe, but anyway) I loved Constantine and wished we got to see Doctor Fate or the Spectre before it got cancelled but maybe now we'll see them on Arrow...

http://screenrant.com/arrow-season-4-constantine-matt-ryan/

Yes, it definitely sounds like the producers will be introducing more fantastical elements to the Arrowverse this year.

Neal McDonough has been casted as the season's big bad Damian Darhk. Not at all what I expected but he is a very talented actor and I am very curious to see what he does with the role.

Man, Neal McDonough is really prevalent in geeky franchises, isn't he. He's been the Hulk, M. Bison, Dum Dum Doogan, and he's even been a voice for Green Arrow in a DC animated short, and now he's going to be in the live action Green Arrow show. And here's the him as Greeen Arrow, in case you're interested.

The first trailer for Season Four is finally here!!!

So first impression after watching the trailer a couple of times....

--Star City!!! YAY!
--uncertain of Diggle's helmut? Will have to see how it looks in action more....
--Amanda Waller is back! Happy to see this, as I was concerned the character would be embargoed along with the other Suicide Squad characters with the new movie coming out.
--Happy Ollie! Well we know that won't last long lol. However, having Ollie come from a more balanced place will hopefully eliminate the recurring subplot of being two people.... I am sure we are all tire of it, and just want Ollie to embrace his duel destiny.
--Speedy and the cures of the Lazarus Pit!
--Already loving Damian Darhk over Raz last year... lol
--another plot to destroy Star City?????? What is this place, Sunnydale?
--new Arrow costume is only subtlety different, Captain Lance will see through it?
--White Canary!!!
--Constantine! While I did not like the TV show, I thought the casting was perfect.

In this new promo we get two things..... the Big Bad has superpowers (mystical I am assuming...) and Ollie is called GREEN Arrow....

Niiiiiiiiice!!!! I'm still wondering how the Felicity relationship will be handled. I'm not a fan of them together because for once I'd like to see a platonic relationship between a lead and the other lead female character. Anyway, looks good!

As someone who read some of the bigger comics back in the day but knows absolutely nothing about Green Arrow, do you think it is a good show on its own? I was always more into Marvel so I don't think I'd really know any of the characters. But I've heard good things about this show since it came on and have been debating catching up on it. What do you guys think?

thecuddlyninja said:
As someone who read some of the bigger comics back in the day but knows absolutely nothing about Green Arrow, do you think it is a good show on its own? I was always more into Marvel so I don't think I'd really know any of the characters. But I've heard good things about this show since it came on and have been debating catching up on it. What do you guys think?
I never read the comics and I enjoy the show. It seems to stick to certain comic tropes, and wears it's Batman influence on it's (green) sleeve, but is entertaining in it's own right.

They had cited a few sources in the beginning in terms of where they got their tone from. I remember it being Green Arrow: Year One and The Longbow Hunter. Both are great reads and a good place to start. The show does its own thing and it would be incredible if they ever adapted Longbow, but they take their own liberties and outside of the last half of season 3, have been quite successful.

Awesome, thanks for the input guys. I appreciate it. I think I'll put it in my queue and if I like it, delve into the comics a bit.

The 2 I mentioned you will DEFINITELY enjoy if you are into season 1 and 2 of Arrow! Also, little trivia for you if you didn't already know, but the character Diggle is named after the author Andy Diggle who worked on Year One. That alone shows how much they were influenced by that book. Instead of Oliver being stranded on the island and training himself this story shows him fighting drug runners (or something to that effect) on the island. Also, one of the characters from there has been included in the series and pops up from time to time (and certainly not enough).

A fantastic fourth season premiere.:)

After a very uneven third season, it feels like the producers learned a few lessons and have taken some pointers from their other breakout spin-off hit The Flash, and hit a home run with this fast paced, refocused first episode.

While Arrow has always been a dark, gritty show, and I doubt that will change too much this season, it was refreshing to see some JOY in these characters. Ollie actually admitting he misses this life and that helping people, his city, is important. It is no longer a revenge story, it is a hero story.... it is the GREEN ARROW!!!!

Damian Darhk was awesome! Just totally deliciously EVIL and stealing every scene he was in! It is the injection this show desperately needed after the misdirection of Ras last year.

Something unexpected happened in this episode, I actually found myself liking Thea... lol

Also did not see the Captain Lance twist coming!

I miss the blonde Canary wig.

The rebranding of Star City works really well and makes perfect sense. You really got the feeling this is a dying city, desperately trying to stay alive.

Still not sure if I like Diggle's new identity concealment. But I thought the relationship difficulties of Ollie/John felt real.

No real details on the flashback storyline yet.... A return to the Island.... maybe Ollie will explore that Monastary that was glimpsed in season two? Though I heard rumours Ollie may be going to Russia this year and deal with his membership in the Russian Mafia?

Hal Jordan cameo!!!!

I am surprised they are using Kord Industries still as a plot device, since DC put an embargo on the Blue Beetle character.

As for the cliffhanger....

Clearly the way it was edited, the producers want you to think it is Felicity in the grave. But I doubt it.
It could be anyone on Team Arrow or even a new character yet to be introduced.
But I am putting my money on Thea. There has to be price for her resurrection.

I admitiddely thought it was just an ok opener. I never liked the idea of Felicity and Oliver getting together because I wanted to see just a close friendship between them where Felicity always thought Oliver was attractive, but that was it. If and hopefully when they break up I'll be more happy.

Referring to himself as Green Arrow felt a bit flat and disappointing. Damien Darkh was pretty cool though and I like how it's totally embraced being a comic book show.

All in all I just feel that it's going to take a little while to come back from how bad last season was. It isn't a fresh start because things that I did not like are still present in Olicity and reminders of the aftermath of the lame inclusion of Ra's last season (the riff between John and Oliver).

The Hal Jordan cameo was very cool and a clever way to do it without having DC jump down their throats.

I'll be with Arrow until the end, but I have high hopes they will do a 180 from last year.

I actually really enjoy the relationship between Ollie and Felicity. They have great chemistry (unlike Ollie and Laurel) and she seems to bring out the best qualities in Ollie. If Diggle is Ollie's conscience, then I think Felicity is his heart.
What can I say, I am a sucker for a good romance....lol.

The second ep was good, though it felt like a set-up for future stories rather than a fulfilling stand alone....

The introduction/creation of the villain ANARCHY... it seems like since season one the producers have been trying to create their own JOKER for the Arrow to spar against. The season one Vertigo was clearly modelled after the Joker, but for reasons unknown to me they replaced actor and created a new Vertigo. Anyway, I think Anarchy has potential and it will be interesting to see his villain costume design when he returns.

The set up for Ollie runs for Mayor storyline has great potential, though I wonder how much of the classic comic story they will adapt?

Once again, Ollie mentions he has "seen things" and has knowledge/belief of the mystical forces. Will this contact back to the Island flashbacks? Thus far the Island story has been very uninteresting. As I mentioned I hope it ties into the Monastery from season two...
We know Constantine will be on the show in a couple eps, will it be in the flashback or maybe part of the Laurel resurrecting Sara story? Though at this point Sara has been dead and buried over a year, that seems to be pushing it for even the Lazarus Pit? And really, how desperate is Laurel? She can see Thea is not behaving normally, and is still willing to take the risk to bring back her sister?

Hm... not too sure about this show anymore, to be honest. I thought S3 had a lot of good stuff, it just didn't really hang together all that well. And this whole super-team-family vibe is maybe a bit too goofy for my tastes. I dunno.

As a definite Olicity shipper, I was very wary about them getting together before the end of the series, fearing that that would mean an inevitable breakup or death, but I'm quite pleased with their interactions so far.

Now, about that grave... I've seen Captain Lance suggested, but Ollie wouldn't cry over him like that. Diggle, Lyla, Thea and Laurel are all possibles, as I agree that Felicity is both too obvious and too popular to be offed. That said, if it is Felicity, I will be pissed. Mostly, and I don't care if comics purists object, I'm hoping it's Laurel, especially since we're getting Sara back anyhow.

Take it away, AV Club commenters!

ded.jpg

Okay, I really enjoyed those last two eps. Guess I'm not as down on the show as I thought. :)

So... once they get Sara back and running, that's the perfect excuse to off Laurel, right? Keeping the balance and all. Also, Ollie said "I'm gonna kill him" in the flash-forward, and Captain Lance made a point of reminding the audience that Darkh has threatened to kill Laurel if Lance betrays him... which he's now doing by teaming up with Ollie to take him down.

It's gotta be Laurel in that grave, then. Right?!

Diggle finally has a codename -- SPARTAN! Nice.

I must say I totally loving this new season, maybe even more than Flash (the constant carelessness with his secret identity and the use of the pipeline really bugs me lol), as the show while maintaining it's darker gritty aspects, has real sense of fun that was sorely missing last season. It has really embraced that it is part of bigger universe filled with super powered beings and sorcery, and the stories are richer for it. The show has done an amazing job juggling its main storyline about HIVE/Darhk while doing the heavy lifting for the next spin-off series Legends of Tomorrow. It is also very refreshing to having "happy" Ollie and to see the relationship between him and Felicity portrayed in a positive and healthy light. I would say the only weakness of the show this season continues to be the Island flashbacks, it really feels slow and ponderous compared to the rest of the show.

Next episode's promo has a major spoiler....

Back
Top Bottom