• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Announcement regarding my future on FE.org

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just so no one misinterprets this thread there are essentially two discussions on two different situations happening at once. If you comment please make sure you know what discussion it is. It hasn’t happened yet but I’d like to try and avoid any misconceptions.

While I agree with your statement 100% Dominic, I went back and re-read motleycats's original post and didn't find anything to suggest he thought the rules shouldn't exist or should be negotiable. Rather his point was more about aggressive behavior whether related to rule enforcement or otherwise.

His post is about mod attitude in regard to upholding the rules. Yes we are hardline about certain things, that is not going to change.

I've been on the receiving end of some harsh words from motleycat in the past for no reason at all. He's said to me a number of times before that he plans to leave the site, but still hasn't. Please forgive my snark towards his new announcement.

Rules suck but we gotta have em, gotta follow em, and somebody's gotta supervise that last part.

I used to be one of the mods, and the level of interaction with mean spirited people, bad faith posters who don't answer questions honestly, blatant pirates, self-labeled rebels who decide this is the establishment worth spending time fighting, and people just looking for some whataboutism to pick a fight, is insanely high behind the scenes, and very stressful. I understand the concerns from members claiming staff is harsh or in some cases aggressive. I felt that in myself frequently at the time, being at my wit's end only to see yet another new questionable thing that needs investigating. So most of the time if staff come off aggressive, I think it's either justified or at least understandable.

Keep in mind, staff is like four active people and like three or four more who bounce in and out. We're not taking about a union of hundreds of people or a government, were talking about a few dudes who run a website, basically alone.

Q2, I would be honored to take the faneditor bage back as it's something that really meant/means something to me.

Hell yeah!

Fathers Day Dancing GIF by ABC Network

Now I feel conflicted. Should I leave the forums and focus on showcasing my work on Reddit/originaltrilogy.com/YouTube etc., or should me and krausfadr stay and try to work on ways to improve FE.org? 🤨
I've been on the receiving end of some harsh words from motleycat in the past for no reason at all. He's said to me a number of times before that he plans to leave the site, but still hasn't. Please forgive my snark towards his new announcement.
I'm sorry this had to come out, but regardless, I would like to apologise for my irrational and childish behaviour over on Discord this past summer. It was a flagrant overreaction on my part and you don't deserve such shabby treatment. 😔

I used to be one of the mods, and the level of interaction with mean spirited people, bad faith posters who don't answer questions honestly, blatant pirates, self-labeled rebels who decide this is the establishment worth spending time fighting, and people just looking for some whataboutism to pick a fight, is insanely high behind the scenes, and very stressful. I understand the concerns from members claiming staff is harsh or in some cases aggressive. I felt that in myself frequently at the time, being at my wit's end only to see yet another new questionable thing that needs investigating. So most of the time if staff come off aggressive, I think it's either justified or at least understandable.

Keep in mind, staff is like four active people and like three or four more who bounce in and out. We're not taking about a union of hundreds of people or a government, were talking about a few dudes who run a website, basically alone.

Wholeheartedly agree. Most all the reactions come from multiple bad experiences with editors, and sometimes its hard to tell if people are being genuine vs those that are avoiding a topic due to rule-breaking.

And, yes, the website is still run by simple humans. We are not perfect. A little understanding and compassion goes a long way. ESPECIALLY considering its been a rough few years for everyone's lives OUTSIDE of fanediting. Most people here though have good intentions, and as long as we can keep that in mind and look for solutions instead of defenses, I think we'll all win.

Now I feel conflicted. Should I leave the forums and focus on showcasing my work on Reddit/originaltrilogy.com/YouTube etc., or should me and krausfadr stay and try to work on ways to improve FE.org? 🤨
Why not both?!? :)

But... When IS the AI gonna handle it all for the admins?!?
robot destroy GIF by VICE En Español

I'm sorry this had to come out, but regardless, I would like to apologise for my irrational and childish behaviour over on Discord this past summer. It was a flagrant overreaction on my part and you don't deserve such shabby treatment. 😔

Thanks for the apology, I really do appreciate it. We're not a bad lot here over on fe.org, we're just strict about our rules in a way other sites are not. If you can handle that and want to stay, you're more than welcome to. You'll find that otherwise we really don't bite.

They were both active and passionate members of the community.
You really think of me as such? Wow. That's honestly really nice of you. It's actually encouraging me in a way to dedicate a better part of the new year to continuing development on my projects. I just doubt they'll be shown here in light of what has happened. 😅

You really think of me as such? Wow. That's honestly really nice of you. It's actually encouraging me in a way to dedicate a better part of the new year to continuing development on my projects. I just doubt they'll be shown here in light of what has happened. 😅
Let’s just say you haven’t annoyed me yet. 😁

Rules suck but we gotta have em, gotta follow em, and somebody's gotta supervise that last part.
Absolutely!
Therein lies the inherent problem. Over the last couple of weeks there were so many of those whataboutism to pick a fight threads, with clear lines drawn, the forum started to resemble a reddit forum. Asking questions and suggesting solutions is one thing, but creating dissent with bandwagon type lines drawn never serves a purpose. I think the mods and admin are very very graceful to allow threads like several of those recent ones to breathe for a while. I wouldn't have.

And it is always the same people like @addiesin describes above that start those threads, fuel them and keep them alive. Those who have no concept of what it has taken to keep the forum alive or what the staff have been through as volunteers...as volunteers...

Everyone should be grateful to have a forum like this to showcase their art, share it or visit to appreciate others' art. Its an amazing feat to have kept it going for this long in spite of the struggles and adversity. All of my respect goes to the admin and mods that have made that happen. Having your edit featured here is the jewel in the crown of fanediting.
That is what everyone needs to remember. You are very fortunate to be welcome here. Its your choice. Don't blow it.

Last edited:
Hey everyone, back from real life for the day. I'm very grateful to read the posts in this thread and what appears to be a restorative dialogue.

@krausfadr I'd like to apologize for the communications that felt like a bait and switch. This was never my intention. We as a staff decided that we needed to simply check in and I thought the best way to do that was in a conversational way. In person I'm rarely a straightforward person. It's probably because I'm perhaps not the most confident in communicating directly and also that I want to not make anyone feel like I'm coming at them with the Bad Boys theme song and flashing lights when I ask a rule based or procedural question. I know I need grace in life and I hope that when ever I'm in a position of being able to extend it that I can take that opportunity. I realize that it went form conversation form to a direct message when the rules were shared and that in this case that feeling of grace missed the mark. That definitely can be taken as a neck break code switch, especially in a text based communication between two parties that aren't accustomed to each other. Again my apologies for that tonal shift and any stress it may have caused.

Again, I'm grateful that this thread has sought for clarity and resolution. I appreciate everyone here and the opportunity to do my best to serve the community and the grace received when I don't always get it right. While this is a fantastic place to share our hobby, I am grateful for the opportunities to grow as a person in improving my communication skills and helping others feel welcome and worth in a digital space.

I'll do my best to apply the feedback shared. Appreciate you all.

I think it might be helpful to add something on the rules page that states ITW threads shouldn‘t be started until 15 days after the PHYSICAL release. With the pandemic now we’re getting digital releases for owned downloaded purchase well before the physical release. The rules are there for good reason. But that 15 day physical release policy is not one I knew about as it didn’t seem to be communicated very well. If that policy can be found somewhere, my apologies. And being aware of the interests of the studios is an important consideration.

I also agree with orchidal‘s general sentiments.

I’ve noticed a few occasions where newbies make a post trying to figure out how to submit their edits, and they get chastised with a link to the rules page when the rules page really doesn’t give the details of what they are trying to accomplish.

To a degree this is about pride because I don’t think admins have a right to ask for receipts. If the trust level is really that low with an editor they should probably be jettisoned as a liability who doesn’t share the values of this forum. Anyway I think what happpened in my case is an unfortunate incident that could have been avoided by ALL parties involved including myself.
First, I’m pleased to see some bridges being built. The problem with any rule is that as soon as you define a point, gaps appear. So you refine the rule, close a gap, and another appears.

Not to get into the weeds here, but I'd love to own this ASAP. I can't find any one selling Dune as a persistent download, and physical release; earliest date I can fine in Jan11, 2022.; everywhere I look is streaming or download rental from Dec 6th onwards (region variances). Prime is rental, HBO Max, rental, and everywhere I look is the same or streaming. I'm dying to watch this again, but I won't pay to rent. I only own my movies.

I have checked on Apple TV and iTunes Store in the USA, UK, Australia, Germany, France, Japan, with my VPN and I can only find it for rental.

It will be a great X Mas present for my son who is a Dune freak.

Please do share.

WEEDS:
Re the rules… a rental is a downloadable copy, but it is not per-se perpetual ownership. Should the rules state “ a persistent non- rental download version playable on a device not requiring an internet connection”?

Have I missed something?

Wow. It's only been a day since I posted my planned retirement from the forums and the convo has grown to this extent so quickly. This is a lot to take in. 😧

@Wraith
Set your VPN for Stockholm Sweden 🇸🇪
Dune is available to buy on iTunes Store in Sweden for 249kr (Swedish kronor).

It’s approx 27,50 $
Or 24,30 €
Or 20,73 £

And I Believe the other Scandinavian countries have it as well.🇩🇰🇫🇮🇳🇴

I have only good things to say about the moderators on this site and they put a lot of Heart and Soul in here for all of us.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom